Nodame Cantabile - Enjoyable Ouendan Copycat

Rocko

CAGiversary!
Feedback
74 (100%)
paOS-13-49-en-70-1v6m.html
r_g0000069611_0_01.jpg
nodameub0.jpg

Nodame Cantabile- A game about a boy who wants to become a conducter. Or something like that. ;)

On sale at [url=http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-9g-49-en-15-nodame%2Bcantabile-70-1v6m.html]Play-Asia[/URL], Nodame Cantabile is a very simple, but still fun, copy of the Ouendan games. You play as a boy who can play instruments, but wants to become a conducter. As the classical music plays, musical notes float from the top of the screen and match up with musical note-shape holes on the bottom screen. You tap when they match up. It's definitely simple, but it's still enjoyable.

You can try the game here.

I've only played a few stages, but basically you choose different locations, carry on conversations, then play a song or minigame. The songs and minigames are unlocked to play as much as you want. I don't know much beyond that because, well, I don't speak Japanese. ;)

Here is an example of a more difficult stage:

[media]http://youtube.com/watch?v=g53ot2cwMBM[/media]

Definitely recommended to any Ouendan fan (and I also recommend Taiko no Tatsujin DS, as that doesn't seem to get much love around here). Discuss!

wow. I will definately think about picking this one up. and also, that's a really cool stylus in that video.

[quote name='SL4IN']wow. I will definately think about picking this one up. and also, that's a really cool stylus in that video.[/quote]

Yeah, that's the Lost in Blue 2 log stylus (as seen in my Promo DS styli thread ;))

Thanks for posting this, Rocko!

Somehow I missed the original Nodame Cantibile thread, when it was the weekly special. I still looked at Play-Asia and it was 19.99. I dithered.

Next time I visited (with the intention to buy), it was 49.99. Ouch.

Now it's back to 19.99, which is still not as good as 14.99, but a whole heckuva lot better than 49.99.

Looking forward to it!

A $50 game this is not, but for the $15 I got it at (and $20 as well) it's great, IMO. It really has a lot to do with the music, though. I'm a fan of classical music so this is right up my alley, but note that this game has nothing but classical.

Glad you ordered. :)

[quote name='Rocko'] It really has a lot to do with the music, though. I'm a fan of classical music so this is right up my alley, but note that this game has nothing but classical.[/quote]

That's why I ordered :lol:. If it had been more pop music, I probably would have passed. I've got the Ouendans for that.

I too picked this up at $15. I was even going back and forth about buying for full retail the next time I visited Japan. First, I generally like rhythm games. Second, I was familiar with the characters from the TV show, so that's a plus.

I started playing a few stages, and it's pretty fun. I especially like Masumi's (Afro guy) Taiko no Tatsujin stages. I was looking to get that sometime, but most places sold out at launch, and there was the issue with the save bug. I'll get around to that one sooner or later.

[quote name='yayece']I too picked this up at $15. I was even going back and forth about buying for full retail the next time I visited Japan. First, I generally like rhythm games. Second, I was familiar with the characters from the TV show, so that's a plus.

I started playing a few stages, and it's pretty fun. I especially like Masumi's (Afro guy) Taiko no Tatsujin stages. I was looking to get that sometime, but most places sold out at launch, and there was the issue with the save bug. I'll get around to that one sooner or later.[/quote]

Save bug only happens if you dress up your character on all three save files. and it should be back in stock now.

Is the game as easy to navigate as Ouendan? My Japanese is very poor, and I don't feel like bugging my wife every 5 seconds with "What button is it telling me to use now?"

If it's like Ouendan I'll buy it immediately.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Is the game as easy to navigate as Ouendan? My Japanese is very poor, and I don't feel like bugging my wife every 5 seconds with "What button is it telling me to use now?"

If it's like Ouendan I'll buy it immediately.[/quote]

Yes. There's a shitload of conversational text to set up the story, though. Just some mindless tapping passes it, though.

Although I've beaten the story mode... and it's asking me to do the story mode over again, it seems. I'm a bit confused, since I beat it and have a maestro to unlock still, but we'll see.

But to answer your question, yes, it's easy to navigate, but don't go in expecting Ouendan. This game is short and easy. I cannot emphasize easy enough. but for $15 or $20 it's good fun for any Ouendan fan, IMO.

Yeah, hmm. I'm still missing the same one. Apparently it's a 3d version of the mongoose.
http://www.nodame-ds.com/leader.html

I checked around on some Japanese sites, and they don't really have a good idea of how to unlock the mongoose either. Someone posted that he got it though.

Basically, you know how you can wander around the school? Sometimes you can run into someone even though there isn't a mongoose icon. They'll say a little bit, and you'll continue on your way. Apparently, if you run into Nodame in her mongoose costume enough times, you'll get a different conductor during that Rhapsody in Blue encore after the credits.

I haven't done it yet, but I'll give it a try next play-through.

Thanks, yayece. I suppose this playthrough I'll try all the little icons.

I tried the Taiko minigame in the non-story mode map today (free play map?) and when I chose a song it gave me four options. any idea what those may be? :whistle2:k

I don't have the game with me now, so I can't be 100% certain. If I remember correctly though, it's difficulty. The left-most one is the easiest, the right-most one is the hardest.

bread's done
Back