PS1 Custom DVD Cover Art - Calling all artistic CAGers!

Ruined

CAGiversary!
I have made custom PS1 DVD case artwork for the following games. However I need help with a batch of new ones. First, this is what I've made. I will provide pics in the following pages. If you come up with one off my "need" list, that would be cool. I will post the pics in the reply after this.

TEMPLATES (for making your own)

1-2 Disc Game Template
(for single/slim double amaray cases)
http://www.reflectonreality.com/images/ps1dvd/templates.jpg

Case links:
1-disc
http://www.inetdvd.com/store/tmp_product_new2003.asp?id=4823

2-disc
http://www.inetdvd.com/store/tmp_product_new2003.asp?id=4824

3 Disc Game Template
(for triple slim alpha multipak cases)
http://www.reflectonreality.com/images/ps1dvd/templatet.jpg

Case link:
3-Disc (Item #3104)
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/pr...SPlastic&category_name=18633&product_id=14055

4-5 Disc Game Template
(for 4-5 disc alpha multipak cases)
http://www.reflectonreality.com/images/ps1dvd/templateq.jpg

Case links:
4-Disc
http://www.inetdvd.com/store/tmp_product_new2003.asp?id=6106

5-disc
http://www.inetdvd.com/store/tmp_product_new2003.asp?id=6107

RECOMMENDED SUPPLIES

Epson Matte Paper Heavyweight (high gloss paper sticks to the dvd case)
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=187846&is=REG
(Note that this will be a bit short on 4/5 disc cases, but it still looks decent - if you want, buy legal size matte paper for 4/5 disc cases if you can find it)

Dahle 507 Trimmer (for perfect straight cuts on the artwork)
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=15506&is=REG

Epson Stylus Photo R200 Printer (6-color photo printer)
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=310737&pfp=srch1

COVERART I MADE

Amary Single or Slim Double DVD case
--
Atari Anniversary Edition Redux
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Chrono Cross
Chrono Trigger
Dragon Warrior VII
Final Fantasy Tactics
Ford Racing
Grandia
Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
Marvel vs. Capcom
Metal Slug X
PS2 Network Adapter Disc
Rayman
Street Fighter Alpha
Street Fighter Alpha 2
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Xenogears

Alpha Slim Triple Case
--
Final Fantasy VII

Alpha Quad+ Multipak Case
--
Final Fantasy I-IV (with the ps1 compilations)
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy XI

+++

***** PS1 COVERART I NEED HELP MAKING *****

Amaray Single/Slim Double
--
Capcom vs. SNK Pro
Einhander
Guilty Gear
The King of Fighters '99
Marvel Super Heroes
Oddworld: Abe's Oddyssey
Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus
X-Men Children of the Atom

Alpha Quad Multipak
--
Lunar
Lunar 2

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (Click here for High Res)
castlevdvds.jpg

Final Fantasy Legacy I-VI (Click here for High Res)
fflegacydvds.jpg

Final Fantasy VII (Click here for High Res)
ff7dvds.jpg

Final Fantasy VIII (Click here for High Res)
ff8dvds.jpg

Final Fantasy IX (Click here for High Res)
ff9dvds.jpg

Final Fantasy Tactics (Click here for High Res)
fftacticsdvds.jpg

Chrono Trigger (Click here for High Res)
ctdvds.jpg

Chrono Cross(Click here for High Res)
ccdvds.jpg

Grandia (Click here for High Res)
grandiadvds.jpg

Dragon Warrior VII (Click here for High Res)
dw7dvds.jpg

Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen (Click here for High Res)
bomendvds.jpg

Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver(Click here for High Res)
sreaverdvds.jpg

Street Fighter Alpha 3 (Click here for High Res)
sfa3dvds.jpg

Metal Slug X (Click here for High Res)
mslugxdvds.jpg

Ford Racing (Click here for High Res)
fracingdvds.jpg

Rayman (Click here for High Res)
raymandvds.jpg

PS2 Network Adapter (Click here for High Res)
ps2netdvds.jpg

Nice work! Very impressive.

However, wouldn't we want to use CD cases for PS1 games (since they were all originally released that way)? If I had a bunch of disc-only games, I'd prefer to use cd cases so I could display them along with my other PS1 games that are in the original cases.

[quote name='Backlash']However, wouldn't we want to use CD cases for PS1 games (since they were all originally released that way)? If I had a bunch of disc-only games, I'd prefer to use cd cases so I could display them along with my other PS1 games that are in the original cases.[/QUOTE]
I guess that some people like to have all their games in one type of box, so that they're all even sizes on a shelf.

Those look pretty nice, though a couple, like the FF9 box, are a bit sparse. Keep up the good work.

[quote name='Backlash']Nice work! Very impressive.

However, wouldn't we want to use CD cases for PS1 games (since they were all originally released that way)? If I had a bunch of disc-only games, I'd prefer to use cd cases so I could display them along with my other PS1 games that are in the original cases.[/QUOTE]

Yeh, as the poster above stated with DVD-sized PS1 cases I can put my PS1, PS2, and XBOX games all on the same shelf. So I can have all the Final Fantasy games together, all the street fighter games together, all the Rayman games together etc. I already have original CD art for all the above games, idea was to resize it so it matched the boxes of modern games. Looks nice for a collection :)

obviously some of those covers are made for the multi disc dvd cases, but i have yet to find anywhere to get those cases one at a time, just like 50 at a time

[quote name='cthcky33']i would love to use these, tho some of the 4 disc games are gonna be too hard to get into dvd cases[/QUOTE]

The 4/5 disc covers are specifically designed for the dimensions of the Alpha Multipak 5 disc version

The multipaks hold 4 pr 5 discs depending on the configuration of the hard plastic "pages" you insert and they have a spot for the instructions :)

The FF7 cover is designed for the Alpha slim 3 multipak

[quote name='doodle777_98']Do you have any templates OP?[/QUOTE]

that's what I want to know. Also I always thought we should try to do custom ps2 covers/ or at least use the art work from diffrent regions(with proper us ratings & english back side)

I would LOVE to get involved in this but, I don't have photoshop or any art computer tools needed for this.

I'll try to help. I've used Photoshop professionally for almost ten years. It's late tonight though, and tomorrow's my wife's birthday party so it might be a day or so.

Also, I don't have the games listed but if I can find some hi-rez images online anywhere I'll definitely contribute.

I'll have the time in the coming weeks (read sunday onward) to put some effort into this project. I've got the soft ware and such, just no scanner.
Ruined, if you have templates or raw pics to work with I would be happy to help.

edit: TEMPLATES MOVED TO FIRST POST IN THREAD

Just worry about the cover/spine/rear artwork. I can throw on the little logos like the NTSC, ESRB stuff, # of players, and whatnot. For the games I need artwork for I have no images atm, I usually hunt on the net for pics or scan text from sequels to get the right font. Or I find the japanese art, or I crop the CD art.

I will probably start work on SFA1 and SFA2 next.

So anyone working on anything? my SFA1 cover art should be up in a couple of hours.

Also, I accidently uploaded and old, lower quality PS1 single DVD case template, which is now fixed in the above link. Modified SFA3 cover to match SFA1 as well.

I would like to help, but I've never really done anything in Photoshop. Could you do this work in the GIMP? Also how have you been doing these covers? Are those just the covers from the psx case and stretched to fit on the DVD case and that template placed on top of that?

[quote name='erehwon']I would like to help, but I've never really done anything in Photoshop. Could you do this work in the GIMP? Also how have you been doing these covers? Are those just the covers from the psx case and stretched to fit on the DVD case and that template placed on top of that?[/QUOTE]

You need to have a photo editor capable of cropping, bilinear resizing, and cut/paste functions. Since most PSX covers are CD-sized, just stretching the cover would look terrible. So you have to find art on the internet and mess around with the case to make it look cool somehow :)

I think the GIMP can probably do that. I might mess around with this in my spare time. Do you have any good sites to get art from?

[quote name='erehwon']I think the GIMP can probably do that. I might mess around with this in my spare time. Do you have any good sites to get art from?[/QUOTE]

google and cdcovers.cc

i am currently working on SFA2.

[quote name='SuprTnr2']Are you printing these on your home computer, or like taking 'em to Kinko's?[/QUOTE]

printing on a epson stylus photo 900 (6 color) on heavyweight matte paper

This morning I've been trying to learn how to use the GIMP and find some images. I was trying to look for art of Legend of Mana and Einhander. There's not that much. I've also been trying to find wallpapers, which I could use some of the art from those.

That Street Fighter one is pretty good. I just wish I could find some more art like that front cover.

[quote name='erehwon']This morning I've been trying to learn how to use the GIMP and find some images. I was trying to look for art of Legend of Mana and Einhander. There's not that much. I've also been trying to find wallpapers, which I could use some of the art from those.

That Street Fighter one is pretty good. I just wish I could find some more art like that front cover.[/QUOTE]

SFA1 was pretty much a straght scan from the box with the appropriate logos added.

SFA2, the front picture was art from a fansite, which I superimposed the SFA2 logo on that I copied off the NA cover of the game.

Currently Working on:

Darkstalkers 3: Done, May need to fix the back up a little bit, and needs proper sized ESRB Items. (Cover art is beautiful on this one.)
Brave Fencer Musashi: Front is done, back needs some work

I'll put them both up when I get back to my place on monday.

I'm working on a Legend of Mana cover right now. Here is the cover so far. I really only have the front cover done. I just added the back part to see how it would look. I need to work on that.

I've been using the GIMP. I've had to figure out how to do somethings for the first time. The legend of mana logo was on a white background. I put it on a separate layer from the front background and erased the white background. That was quite tedious to separate that logo from the white background. Does anyone know an easier way to do that? The only way I could enlarge the image was to use a tool that stretched the image.

I think I did pretty good for my first attempt. I just need to work on the back now.

I dont see why anyone would want to make PSone games look like PS2 games.

I've modeled mine after the PSone long boxes...if you wanted the true feel...you should host my .psd and you can make them look like an actual PSone game except a PS2 knock off.

The xenogears cover is nice. I do have a question on how you do the back cover. How do you do that? You mentioned that I would need a photo editor that had bilinear resizing. Do you know of any programs that have that? I'm not sure if the GIMP has that, or atleast I haven't found it.

Sweet Xenogears cover. How about some love for Parasite Eve 1 and 2?

If you printed some of these off, I would most definately buy them from you. The spine on the earlier ones (Final Fantasy) seem big, though.

Yeah. If they were printed on high glossy paper, i'd definately buy some of these from you. My brother would love something like this.

[quote name='Scorch']Sweet Xenogears cover. How about some love for Parasite Eve 1 and 2?

If you printed some of these off, I would most definately buy them from you. The spine on the earlier ones (Final Fantasy) seem big, though.

Yeah. If they were printed on high glossy paper, i'd definately buy some of these from you. My brother would love something like this.[/QUOTE]

I thought the same about the big spines also, but Ruined mentioned that those are for the Alpha Multipak(sp?) DVD cases. From this link its a multiple DVD/CD case.

Also MookyJooky did you ever release your custom art for the ps1 games? I'd love to have some of those on my wall.

[quote name='droptopmetro']I thought the same about the big spines also, but Ruined mentioned that those are for the Alpha Multipak(sp?) DVD cases. From this link its a multiple DVD/CD case.

Also MookyJooky did you ever release your custom art for the ps1 games? I'd love to have some of those on my wall.[/QUOTE]

I had a bunch of non finished and only one finished.

post #34 in this thread is my only finished one. But if someone wants to host the 35 meg .psd file and use it as a template thats fine by me.

It's modeled closely to the orignal PS1 longboxes.... but I'm all about nostalgics.

[quote name='Scorch']Sweet Xenogears cover. How about some love for Parasite Eve 1 and 2?

Yeah. If they were printed on high glossy paper, i'd definately buy some of these from you. My brother would love something like this.[/QUOTE]

I put up links to stores you can buy the actual cases in the first post in the thread:
http://cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1039269&postcount=1

The FF cases have big spines because the cases hold 3-5 discs plus the manual depending on the FF game, while a regular sized DVD case can only hold 1-2 discs plus the manual.

As for purchasing, I cannot sell the cases because the would be copyright infringement. Also, I do not use high gloss paper because the gloss sticks to the plastic of the DVD case and looks terrible. I recommend using Epson Matte Paper Heavyweight, when in the case it looks the same as original artwork. For cutting the paper I recommend the Dahle 507 rolling trimmer, much better than the choppers or low quality trimmers. For a printer I would go with one of the Epson Photo inkjets.

Epson Matte Paper Heavyweight
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=187846&is=REG
(Note that this will be a bit short on 4/5 disc cases, but it still looks decent - if you want, buy legal size matte paper for 4/5 disc cases if you can find it)

Dahle 507 Trimmer
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=15506&is=REG

Epson Stylus Photo R200 Printer
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=310737&pfp=srch1

[quote name='erehwon']The xenogears cover is nice. I do have a question on how you do the back cover. How do you do that? You mentioned that I would need a photo editor that had bilinear resizing. Do you know of any programs that have that? I'm not sure if the GIMP has that, or atleast I haven't found it.[/QUOTE]

Basically, I took the back cover, cropped it cutting off the right half of the rear cover that had screenshots, resized it and superimposed the ESRB teen box over the Squaresoft logo that was chopped in half.

bread's done
Back