Posting Limitations

Rich

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Can we please get rid of these damn 30 second between posts things? They're so goddamn frustrating, and make tabbed browsing pretty pointless as I wind up just sitting there staring for half a goddamn minute. Even worse, when I misspell something and go to edit, I even have to fucking wait to edit.

It's nothing but an excuse for the mods to be lazy. Get rid of it and make the mods do their damn job to get rid of spamming.

It prevents spamming. Mods can't be around all the time. I agree on the time editing thing, though. Editing shouldn't have a 30 second wait.

[quote name='Scorch']It prevents spamming. Mods can't be around all the time. I agree on the time editing thing, though. Editing shouldn't have a 30 second wait.[/quote]

30 second limit for posting is fine...but immediate editing SHOULD be allowed, i agree

[quote name='Scorch']It prevents spamming. Mods can't be around all the time. I agree on the time editing thing, though. Editing shouldn't have a 30 second wait.[/quote]

oh well at least I now know why there is a posting limit, but yes 30 second is way to long I think 15 would be a good number.

fuck that. There are enough mods to warrant no limit.

30 second limit for posting is fine...but immediate editing SHOULD be allowed, i agree

[quote name='RichD1'][quote name='Scorch']It prevents spamming. Mods can't be around all the time. I agree on the time editing thing, though. Editing shouldn't have a 30 second wait.[/quote]

shaq-fu that. There are enough mods to warrant no limit.[/quote]

14 mods and 1 admin is enough to handle twenty thousand people posting every few seconds?

A thousand mods still couldn't prevent spam.

Yes, it is enough. 20,000 people post here every few seconds? This is news to me. CAG should implement a report post button and get rid of the damn limits. At least if someone is spamming, an email will be sent to the mods who are apparently not doing their jobs. Besides, what's to stop someone from spamming once every 30 seconds as opposes to the 10-15 it would normally take.

yeah i think there should be a limit for posting.. theres no way you can read two topics, type 2 replies, and post twice in 15 seconds unless the threads are complete shit and your reply is too.. but i agree on no waiting to edit posts.. that gets frustrating.. im sure the problem is there just isnt a way to seperate the waiting period for the two..

[quote name='RichD1']Yes, it is enough. 20,000 people post here every few seconds? This is news to me. CAG should implement a report post button and get rid of the damn limits. At least if someone is spamming, an email will be sent to the mods who are apparently not doing their jobs. Besides, what's to stop someone from spamming once every 30 seconds as opposes to the 10-15 it would normally take.[/quote]

i dont think its really to prevent it.. because thats not really possible.. but more or less to discourage it...

[quote name='Scorch'][quote name='RichD1'][quote name='Scorch']It prevents spamming. Mods can't be around all the time. I agree on the time editing thing, though. Editing shouldn't have a 30 second wait.[/quote]

shaq-fu that. There are enough mods to warrant no limit.[/quote]

14 mods and 1 admin is enough to handle twenty thousand people posting every few seconds?

A thousand mods still couldn't prevent spam.[/quote]

Lol, C'mon, we may have 20,000 members but only about 1000 contribute (somewhat) regularly. :D

BTW, I agree with the editing thing, it's a pain to wait when you need to edit a message.

Are you paying for the site?
Do you work to keep the site on-line?
Voicing an opinon or making a suggestion is one thing...
Getting indignant over the quality of a free service is quite another.
Don't be so ungrateful.

I'd agree with the editing thing...if the preview option weren't available. But it is.
:roll:

[quote name='JSweeney']Are you paying for the site?
Don't be so ungrateful.[/quote]

Get the fuck off of your soapbox. If Cheapy is offended, he can tell me himself. Until that happens, my point stands, the limit is bullshit.

Deathcab--If I just replied to 2 threads, get off the site for a minute or two then come back and both have responses, then I can very well read the response to both and reply to both in less than 15 seconds.

While we are making suggestions for improvement, I think it would be nice to be able to be able to go to either the first or the last page of all the recent threads that are listed on the front pages. This is not a complaint, just a suggestion for improvement...

[quote name='JSweeney']Are you paying for the site?

This change is simply a suggestion, I'm sure if CheapyD posted that I change couldn't or wouldn't happen everyone would be happy that thier concern was noted and this topic would be droped.

I've never had to wait to edit a post. Assuming you wait through the "posting message" screen when you return to the thread and hit edit it instantly lets me fix a mistake.

See, just changed "If" to "Assuming" and added this sentences rigth after posting.

the only limitation I would like to see lifted is the one between how often you can send PMs.

If all I include is a DC# in my PM then I have to wait a pretty long time to send the next person thier DC#

[quote name='zionoverfire'][quote name='JSweeney']Are you paying for the site?

This change is simply a suggestion, I'm sure if CheapyD posted that I change couldn't or wouldn't happen everyone would be happy that thier concern was noted and this topic would be droped.[/quote]

Zionoverfire, it's not the suggestion that I think is a bad idea.
Not being able to edit immediately is a minor inconvience, and yes, it would be nice to not have to deal with it.
There's no reason to take the tone this thread has, though.

Damn, it's 30 freakin seconds...Get over it.

If your time is so valuable that an extra 15 seconds is pissing you off this much, then you shouldn't be wasting it here in the first place.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']the only limitation I would like to see lifted is the one between how often you can send PMs.

If all I include is a DC# in my PM then I have to wait a pretty long time to send the next person thier DC#[/quote]

There is a limit? I didn't know that.
Of course, being a mod, I guess you'd be sending quite a few more PMs than I, eh?

I didn't get a totaly negative tone from his posts; imho I thought he was just offering a suggestion about something that kind of annoyed him.

[quote name='TheRaven']Damn, it's 30 freakin seconds...Get over it.

If your time is so valuable that an extra 15 seconds is pissing you off this much, then you shouldn't be wasting it here in the first place.[/quote]

You've completely missed the point. Good job.

While we are making suggestions for improvement, I think it would be nice to be able to be able to go to either the first or the last page of all the recent threads that are listed on the front pages. This is not a complaint, just a suggestion for improvement...

IBTN. Clicking the front page should take you to the most recent unread post.

I didn't get a totaly negative tone from his posts; imho I thought he was just offering a suggestion about something that kind of annoyed him.

There was no negative tone. Sweeny is imagining things. He's probably never met a normal New Yorker and isn't used to curses.

(waits 20 seconds to hit submit to submit the edit)

[quote name='cyberlian']I didn't get a totaly negative tone from his posts; imho I thought he was just offering a suggestion about something that kind of annoyed him.[/quote]

Wow, what do you consider to be negative then?

[quote name='JSweeney'][quote name='zionoverfire'][quote name='JSweeney']Are you paying for the site?

This change is simply a suggestion, I'm sure if CheapyD posted that I change couldn't or wouldn't happen everyone would be happy that thier concern was noted and this topic would be droped.[/quote]

Zionoverfire, it's not the suggestion that I think is a bad idea.
Not being able to edit immediately is a minor inconvience, and yes, it would be nice to not have to deal with it.
There's no reason to take the tone this thread has, though.[/quote]

Yes, I'd prefer that the tone was a bit humbler but I simply think that a thread voicing concern even if a bit angerly is better than no thread at all. In truth I've concidered starting a similar thread (albiet toned down) over the last few days.

[quote name='cyberlian']While we are making suggestions for improvement, I think it would be nice to be able to be able to go to either the first or the last page of all the recent threads that are listed on the front pages. This is not a complaint, just a suggestion for improvement...[/quote]

yea that's a good idea too...especially for those threads that are like 20 pages long (coughofftopictopicandn64wherehousetopiccough) ;)

Good job on being a complete ass Rich. I don't care where you are from, there is still proper ways to present yourself when making a suggestion. Telling someone that their goddamn and fucking rules suck is not that way.

[quote name='RichD1']Can we please get rid of these damn 30 second between posts things? They're so goddamn frustrating, and make tabbed browsing pretty pointless as I wind up just sitting there staring for half a goddamn minute. Even worse, when I misspell something and go to edit, I even have to shaq-fuing wait to edit.

It's nothing but an excuse for the mods to be lazy. Get rid of it and make the mods do their damn job to get rid of spamming.[/quote]

Ive never noticed the lag or any wait time. I have never tried to edit my post though and I am also a slow typer so I may not notice. However, I could see that being very annoying.

[quote name='robwhit1'][quote name='RichD1']Can we please get rid of these damn 30 second between posts things? They're so goddamn frustrating, and make tabbed browsing pretty pointless as I wind up just sitting there staring for half a goddamn minute. Even worse, when I misspell something and go to edit, I even have to shaq-fuing wait to edit.

It's nothing but an excuse for the mods to be lazy. Get rid of it and make the mods do their damn job to get rid of spamming.[/quote]

Ive never noticed the lag or any wait time. I have never tried to edit my post though and I am also a slow typer so I may not notice. However, I could see that being very annoying.[/quote]

You won't notice it if you can't type fast or don't leave short posts such as a quote with: :rofl: attached under it.

[quote name='swetooth9'][quote name='cyberlian']While we are making suggestions for improvement, I think it would be nice to be able to be able to go to either the first or the last page of all the recent threads that are listed on the front pages. This is not a complaint, just a suggestion for improvement...[/quote]

yea that's a good idea too...especially for those threads that are like 20 pages long (coughofftopictopicandn64wherehousetopiccough) ;)[/quote]

To go to the last page in the recent post threads on the front page? just lcik the icon next to the last posters name.

[quote name='JSweeney'][quote name='CaseyRyback']the only limitation I would like to see lifted is the one between how often you can send PMs.

If all I include is a DC# in my PM then I have to wait a pretty long time to send the next person thier DC#[/quote]

There is a limit? I didn't know that.
Of course, being a mod, I guess you'd be sending quite a few more PMs than I, eh?[/quote]

more from trades than being a mod.

when people get sent stuff related to this site (more from me as the mod) they tend to ignore it or never reply

we are talking 30 seconds here is that a life or death problem when posting in a message board if so you have bigger problems. The site is free,the info is free,and be willing to be the mods are free to what more can you expect?

I think it's good to have there. With tabbed browsing it would be possible for some troll to load up shit-tons of tabs with replies and flood a board or a topic. It be annoying and tedious for a mod to delete and who knows what a massive volume of posts in a few seconds could do to the board's software? So keep it there. Learn to take more care when typing and you won't have to edit immediately after posting, not that 30 seconds is a life or death situation anyway...

[quote name='evilmojo12542']we are talking 30 seconds here is that a life or death problem when posting in a message board if so you have bigger problems. The site is free,the info is free,and be willing to be the mods are free to what more can you expect?[/quote]

Free Beer? :beer:

30 seconds isn't that much in the scheme of things.

Isn't waiting a bit to edit a message a small price to pay for the money you've saved from the site? :wink:

[quote name='Alpha2'][quote name='swetooth9'][quote name='cyberlian']While we are making suggestions for improvement, I think it would be nice to be able to be able to go to either the first or the last page of all the recent threads that are listed on the front pages. This is not a complaint, just a suggestion for improvement...[/quote]

yea that's a good idea too...especially for those threads that are like 20 pages long (coughofftopictopicandn64wherehousetopiccough) ;)[/quote]

To go to the last page in the recent post threads on the front page? just lcik the icon next to the last posters name.[/quote]
Thanks for that post, it will save me a lot of time when i'm on my 56k...

[quote name='JSweeney'][quote name='evilmojo12542']we are talking 30 seconds here is that a life or death problem when posting in a message board if so you have bigger problems. The site is free,the info is free,and be willing to be the mods are free to what more can you expect?[/quote]

Free Beer? :beer:[/quote]

Freon?
Freon12_suva134a.png

[quote name='JSweeney']"Make the mods do their damn job"

Yep, sounds positive and constructive to me.[/quote]

I never accused them of not doing their job. But with the limitations, there job is fairly easier at the expense of everyone. One of their jobs is to cut down on spam, and when they accepted their position, they agreed to do this, so everyone shouldn't have to sit around waiting for the mods to save a little bit of time at the expense of our time. I've wasted a good half hour + waiting for these time limits whlie being here, to save the mods about 10 minutes. The limitation is nothing but an excuse to excuse the mods from one aspect of their duties.

[quote name='TheRaven']Good job on being a complete ass Rich. I don't care where you are from, there is still proper ways to present yourself when making a suggestion. Telling someone that their goddamn and shaq-fuing rules suck is not that way.[/quote]

The rules don't suck. The posting limitation time sucks.

Ive never noticed the lag or any wait time. I have never tried to edit my post though and I am also a slow typer so I may not notice. However, I could see that being very annoying.

I type @ 110+ words per minute.

[quote name='zionoverfire'][quote name='RichD1']

I type @ 110+ words per minute.[/quote]

Damn that's fast :shock:[/quote]

Yeah, but then it only takes him 3 minutes to go back and fix all the mistakes. j/k :lol:

[quote name='dcfox'][quote name='zionoverfire'][quote name='RichD1']

I type @ 110+ words per minute.[/quote]

Damn that's fast :shock:[/quote]

Yeah, but then it only takes him 3 minutes to go back and fix all the mistakes. j/k :lol:[/quote]

It's actually 110+ words per minute with ~1 mistake per minute.

I usually don't fix typos. I add stuff to my posts when I edit.

bread's done
Back