Anyone seen that article on Digg.com about putting xbmc on their xbox?

I loved XBMC. Still provides more functionality than the 360, aside from HD files.

Hacked Xboxes were the shit.

seems unnecessary for me since i just use tversity to my 360 for my avi needs. would have been great a few years ago before the 360 was out.

For a while, I was using my Xbox more than my 360.

XBMC was one of the reasons why. Great application.

did you upgrade your harddrive? and with this softmod how are file transfer handled? i'm assuming through shared files on your network.

I upgraded the HD to a 200 gig. Media center can also read off network shares, wired response is identical to local HD response

Mine has a 250 GB HDD inside.

Networking my media from the PC is wonderful, as practically all music and video file types work great.

Yeah it's the only reason i keep my old xbox around it works great though I haven't fooled with XBMC since I installed it about two decembers ago, i wonder if they've added features since then.

Now may be the time for me to finally mod the ol' 'box, considering I barely touch the thing and never to play online.

[quote name='Milkyman']Yeah it's the only reason i keep my old xbox around it works great though I haven't fooled with XBMC since I installed it about two decembers ago, i wonder if they've added features since then.[/quote]

:shock: They have definitely added a ton of great features to XBMC. In fact, they still do small updates today.

[quote name='Rig']:shock: They have definitely added a ton of great features to XBMC. In fact, they still do small updates today.[/QUOTE]

oh man, now i gotta figure out how to upgrade the damn thing. have they added any rss feed support for videos and audio?

[quote name='Milkyman']oh man, now i gotta figure out how to upgrade the damn thing. have they added any rss feed support for videos and audio?[/quote]

That I don't really know. I don't really mess with RSS.

I do know feeds are available...just don't know if for video and audio.

I was thinking about doing this, but I don't see an advantage over the 360's share feature...except that you don't have to have Zune Services hogging your PC.

Thoughts?

[quote name='CocheseUGA']I was thinking about doing this, but I don't see an advantage over the 360's share feature...except that you don't have to have Zune Services hogging your PC.

Thoughts?[/quote]

I don't know if the 360 supports ogg, ogm, or flac, but XBMC rarely has files it can't play. I have some files with dual audio tracks, and you can choose which one you want running, etc.

This won't matter to most people, but the Xbox also uses less power than the 360, so if I'm watching movies for long periods of time I definitely prefer whatever uses less energy.

Of course, if you want HD and don't have component cables for the Xbox, that could be a deal-breaker too. As it stands, I love XBMC, and don't feel like running the 360 crap on my computer when I already have a functional, stand-alone machine.

[quote name='johnnypark']I don't know if the 360 supports ogg, ogm, or flac, but XBMC rarely has files it can't play. I have some files with dual audio tracks, and you can choose which one you want running, etc.

This won't matter to most people, but the Xbox also uses less power than the 360, so if I'm watching movies for long periods of time I definitely prefer whatever uses less energy.

Of course, if you want HD and don't have component cables for the Xbox, that could be a deal-breaker too. As it stands, I love XBMC, and don't feel like running the 360 crap on my computer when I already have a functional, stand-alone machine.[/QUOTE]

Well, here's what I ultimately want to do with whatever: play what I backup from my DVR, and my DVDs I've backed up to my HDD. That's about all I'm interested in.

bread's done
Back