- - - - -

Otogi 2

#1 dustyeff   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   301 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

dustyeff

Posted 25 October 2004 - 09:15 PM

Anyone else get this game? It's SO awesome. Good god. I got it for $27 too off Outpost. Even after just a few levels, I think I'm ready to declare this my favorite XBOX game... geeze. Ok, I'm going to go play some more! I'll post some more thoughts when I'm out of my fanboy frenzy.

#2 coolsteel   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5458 Posts   Joined 16.7 Years Ago  

Posted 25 October 2004 - 10:55 PM

Well I liked the first but it was a bit on the shallow side, not to mention easy. Is it just more of the same?

#3 Jrunt20x   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1370 Posts   Joined 16.4 Years Ago  

Posted 25 October 2004 - 11:05 PM

Yeah I thought the first Otogi was great and I know it's easy but I just can't beat that fucking worm boss!!!!

#4 coolsteel   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5458 Posts   Joined 16.7 Years Ago  

Posted 25 October 2004 - 11:48 PM

Are you talking about the giant roach thing in Otogi 1?

#5 alongx   Soy loco por el Cornball CAGiversary!   4889 Posts   Joined 16.7 Years Ago  

Posted 25 October 2004 - 11:52 PM

I got to level 16 or so in Otogi and kept dying for no reason. It happened like 4 times where I was walking up this long path and then all of a sudden I fly backwards and am dead instantly. Haven't picked it up again since then, but I probably should.

#6 Tromack   Vitriolic since 1997 CAGiversary!   3226 Posts   Joined 16.7 Years Ago  

Posted 25 October 2004 - 11:53 PM

I didn't think the first Otogi was easy. Well, ok, the first 6 levels or so are pretty easy, but some of the later ones get damn hard. The gauntlet level with the 4 bosses is really damn hard.

So, if the second is the same, give it a few levels to ramp up in difficulty.

#7 Jrunt20x   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1370 Posts   Joined 16.4 Years Ago  

Posted 25 October 2004 - 11:58 PM

Yeah, I'm talking about the roach boss. I just suck on that level.

#8 dustyeff   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   301 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

dustyeff

Posted 26 October 2004 - 12:17 AM

The first few levels are quite easy. This is probably cuz I'm used to the Otogi system though. It seems to be more of the same, with just some more in depth weapons and character options. You get 6 different characters to choose from. One is a big axe-guy like Asteroth from Soul Calibur, then you have your classic samurai looking guy, another is a fan-wielding lady, and another has a sort of scythe, while yet another is wielding a double bladed sword that looks very, very smooth. And then there's this weird swirling.. tree.. guy. He's my favorite.

Anyway, my favorite part about this game is just how stylish the fighting is. Remember that showdown in the snowy area from Otogi 1? That was probably my favorite 'boss fight' in a game. Absolutely amazing.

#9 drone8888   Sin & Punishment VC2007!! CAGiversary!   1401 Posts   Joined 16.7 Years Ago  

Posted 26 October 2004 - 12:36 AM

The roach boss is a beotch at first.

After you figure out his routine,... he'll be dead in a matter of 3-4 minutes.

The game is HUGE!!
It gets harder, and harder as you progress.

The roach boss is in the first few stages,.... and there are a LOT more, after him.

Seriously, one of the most overlooked games on any console.
Unfortunately, I hear that teh sequel isn't as good.

Have fun, and fill us in.

:)

#10 coolsteel   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5458 Posts   Joined 16.7 Years Ago  

Posted 26 October 2004 - 12:46 AM

Well you can either try whacking away at him as drone8888 suggests , or just come back to it later when you're at a higher level and wipe the floor with him. Game wasn't all that hard for me until I got to the very last boss, I think I spent the better part of the night trying over and over to beat him.

#11 XboxMaster   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3371 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

XboxMaster

Posted 26 October 2004 - 01:31 AM

IDK, I played the OXM demo and like last year's Otogi, it wasn't my cup of tea.

#12 munch   la tête de CAG CAGiversary!   19476 Posts   Joined 16.9 Years Ago  

Posted 26 October 2004 - 01:49 AM

i was thinking about getting the first installment, but i heard people complain about horrific camera angles. how are they?

#13 Rig   Rig = Lunar CAGiversary!   14177 Posts   Joined 16.2 Years Ago  

Posted 26 October 2004 - 01:52 AM

I rented Otogi and thought it was pretty cool. I am looking for it on the cheap. I may pick up Otogi 2 during the TRU B2G1 sale this week.

#14 coolsteel   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5458 Posts   Joined 16.7 Years Ago  

Posted 26 October 2004 - 07:13 AM

The camera angles were fine, nothing but the usual stuff associated with 3d titles, a minor inconvience at best.

#15 dnt_h8me2   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   731 Posts   Joined 16.7 Years Ago  

Posted 26 October 2004 - 08:19 AM

Otogi 1 was a great game that didn't get much attention. I think I bought it for about 40, but the difficulty was too hard for me, so I sold it to a friend.

#16 Captain Betty   Call me Betty CAGiversary!   826 Posts   Joined 16.7 Years Ago  

Captain Betty

Posted 27 October 2004 - 03:12 AM

I'm still playing Otogi 1 and love it. I love just running around a smashing the hell out of everything. I don't think it's all that easy either. I'm currently on this level with the "jelly boss" (I'll call it that - there's a bunch of glass rods, cut-outs in the floor and the boss and a room with a big bridge. I'm stuck but will eventually prevail.

I really want to pick up O2 but will tough-it-out till it drops to $20 or so...I have WAY to may games to beat before I continue on another buying spree.

#17 ViolentLee   Still Man Fights CAGiversary!   3655 Posts   Joined 16.1 Years Ago  

Posted 28 October 2004 - 12:41 AM

I got Otogi 2, but honestly didn't even put it on the shelf with my top 200 PS2/Xbox/GC games, as I thought it wouldn't be good. Maybe I'll rethink it, though I honestly don't think I'll be playing it any time soon (toooooo many games).

I heard mixed things about part 1. As for other Sega action games, I didn't like Gunvalkyrie, but I think Blood Will Tell (PS2) is pretty fun.

#18 RisingZan   Old CAG CAGiversary!   615 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

Posted 28 October 2004 - 12:51 AM

I thought the first Otogi was awesome. However, I bought the game for $40 bucks and then a month later it was $15 at Fry's. I think I'll pick up a copy of Otogi 2 if and when it hits $14. There are just tooooo many games out this "Holiday Shopping Season"™ for me to pick this game up now...