Lastest Msg Board Posts + 228 users online in the forum = Super Slow!

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
Previous high was 163.

Due to the increase in traffic (the Best Buy story is getting out) the site was incredibly slow.
I took off the "Latest Message Board Posts" from the front page and that seemed to take the load off.
I'll try to get them back up in a way that doesn't affect the sites performance.

Thanks for your patience.

[quote name='metroidkiller9']will the latest message board posts be coming back?? it was ever so convenient[/quote]

Of course..once i figure out a way to make it less demanding on the server.

I tried that, WSB, but even directly links to the boards were dragging... I'm so spoiled by high speed I ended up giving up and waiting for the crush to die... hence me logging in now.

I was wondering what happened, I thought it was just me. I figured come to check CAG news section....good choice. It was very convenient to have the top posts up there, and definitely missed right now. Hope they come back up soon

[quote name='CheapyD']Previous high was 163.

Due to the increase in traffic (the Best Buy story is getting out) the site was incredibly slow.
I took off the "Latest Message Board Posts" from the front page and that seemed to take the load off.
I'll try to get them back up in a way that doesn't affect the sites performance.[/quote]

Well I never used them so it doesn't bother me none.

Man, without the recent posts on the homepage, I don't feel like I know the latest on CAG anymore.

Might be time to consider (or at the very least look into) getting a more powerful server, me thinks. It seems you've graduated from word of mouth to printed and online media exposure. This site's popularity is only going to grow larger.

The word of the day is: Proactive. :D

[quote name='Wshakspear']wow, a completely random jump of use on a MONDAY evening. Do we have Best-buy and Buy.com to thank?[/quote]

More likely we have Hardocp'ers to thank for that. And if this is posted on Fark, lets say that Monday's high isn't going to be very high any more.

[quote name='daphatty']
The word of the day is: Proactive. :D[/quote]

Damn daphatty... that word is pissin me off right now. I just came back from the dentist to get a checkup and he was tellin me I should be 'proactive' in getting some expensive surgery done to take out my wisdom teeth. He kept on hassling me (probably for the best though) but I definitely don't have the money for that crap right now. Grr... not in a good mood... At least CAG loaded up in a timely manner so thats calming me down somewhat. :)

EDIT: What I'm doing now is just going to the forum index and shift-clicking on the newest post icon in each category. Its almost the same thing as using the 'latest message board posts' links.

[quote name='CheapyD']You can also use the View posts since last visit link located at the top of the forum index[/quote]

That's what I've been doing since "the change", and it's working nicely. I always used the Latest Posts thing too so I felt lost at first, but I'm kinda getting used to this way now. It's still the same cozy CAG. ;)

[quote name='E-Z-B']Man, without the recent posts on the homepage, I don't feel like I know the latest on CAG anymore.[/quote]

Thats how I feel, I would usually check the deals then the latest forum posts to see if anything other than deals interested me. Been missing it.

man... i miss the recent posts.
any clue when they'll be coming back cheapy? like any idea when you'll be able to upgrade to a better server?

:?
i feel lost. the homepage doesn't look so fuzzy and cuddly anymore. its awkward to click at the top to view recent posts. i'm just complaining for small reasons but it doesn't feel QUITE right like CAG anymore. and every time i refresh the page i keep hoping they'll come back because i think it's just me. they're just hiding. :(

Yeah.. I'm just gonna have to wait until the most recent posts comes back up before I start regularing the site again. I don't visit enough now so that "posts since last visit" page is just humongous. :eek:

I put 'em back up, but they may come back down again without notice.

I'm looking for a better solution...

*survives*

my good old friends are back... yay.. warm and fuzzy and cuddly old cheapassgamer home... now i can constantly refresh the home page to see if someone responded to my recent posts like normally i spend my late nights... oops.. i mean... out partying and having a good time :?

not on weekdays. heh. cheapassgamer = home.

bread's done
Back