Screen Protector for Slim PSP

SSPrelude

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Yo! I did a search on the forum but I couldn't find the answers that I needed.

I'm looking for a screen protector for my slim PSP that fits the whole screen. I currently have screen protector on it but there's a 1mm gap on the side of screen.
The plastic wrapper on the package said it was compatible with the slim PSP screen. :(

So, I was wondering if anyone have any suggestions on screen protectors for the slim PSP?

Here are some pictures that I just took to show ya what I mean.

IMG_0060.jpg

IMG_0056.jpg

IMG_0057.jpg

IMG_0055.jpg

mine's the same way. I have a Hori protective filter portable. Looks exactly like yours lol. I might go for the Invisible Shield (www.shieldzone.com) but boy it's kinda pricey. Not sure if they'll ship overseas for you though. I have one on my phone and it's pretty nice. Installation is a little bit more work than usual though. Gotta do a spray and squeegee process

I have no idea. I don't think so. The screen guards I have on my DS lite are the same way. Well the top one is pretty perfect, but the bottom one has a small gap on the side too.

My friend used to have an invisible shield on his fat psp I dunno why he took it off, but it covered the entire screen and even a little more.

[quote name='imascrub']mine's the same way. I have a Hori protective filter portable. Looks exactly like yours lol. I might go for the Invisible Shield (www.shieldzone.com) but boy it's kinda pricey. Not sure if they'll ship overseas for you though. I have one on my phone and it's pretty nice. Installation is a little bit more work than usual though. Gotta do a spray and squeegee process[/QUOTE]

Umm, wtf, i thought Hori filled the screen? I don't remember what my old psp's protector was but it did fill the whole thing. I can't remember if it was pelican or hori but I got it on launch day at BB.

hmm...the shieldzone.com does ship internationally for free. 15 bucks is kinda pricey but if it protects my psp then I'm in.

I believe the hori ones does not fill up the whole screen. At least that's what I've heard or read somewhere. I could be wrong.

Anyone else have any inputs on the Invisible Shield or anything else?

Yes I have the Hori one and it covers the screen exactly like yours with the edges uncovered.

I used to have an Invisible Shield front face skin. As the name suggests, it covers the whole front side of the PSP not just the screen. I don't know if they fixed it, but the skin used to interfere with the analog nub. The nub would get stuck in a certain position because the skin would cause friction.

That said, I'm still going to purchase both the front and back skins from Shieldzone because I don't want the Crisis Core design on the back of the PSP to eventually be rubbed off or scratched. On a side note, does anyone know of any coupons for Shieldzone that haven't expired yet?

here are pics of the Hori. I didn't really have to take pics but I've recently found taking pictures of crap to be fun lol

CIMG0644.jpg

CIMG0642.jpg

CIMG0643.jpg

and here are pics of the shieldzone on my phone. It looks pretty nice imo. Sometimes from the side and in the right light the surface texture looks kinda bumpy, but for the most part it looks very clean and smooth and doesn't interfere with viewing the screen. The feel of the texture has kind of a gummy feeling, but for my phone that's very nice cuz it helps me to open it up since it's a slider. The thing with the shieldzone PSP slim screen shield is that the picture shows a full face shield, but the picture they have for the PSP fat screen shield is just the screen. *shrug*

CIMG0645.jpg

CIMG0646.jpg

CIMG0648.jpg

Thanks for the link prelude. I was plannin on waitin for the next coupon they email out but I never got anything for sep. Damn them lol. I might bite on this after all.

Oh, man Imascup you know how to put on a screen protector. I put one on my phone and wound up with three bubbles. I suck at it.
If anyone is looking for a cheap solution, the Intec screen protectors were 1.48 at my local TRU. They also have some kit with a car adapter and something else along with a screen protector for 2.48. For Intec, it's not a bad protector. I have a few tiny bubbles but that could be due to my forementioned poor skill of screen protector application.

lol i have trouble putting on "hard" screen protectors like the Hori. You can kinda see in the pics of the psp, but along the bottom and the left edges it looks like the very edges of the protector aren't fully on. I applied it in one go and used a credit card to smooth it down along the way, but I still got that. I was too lazy to take it off and reapply it, cuz I know that once I do, I'll get more and more dust particles underneath, and it'll just annoy the heck out of me lol.

I've decided that it's just something with the hard protectors, since my protector on an old phone, a previous protector on the Samsung you see above, the protector for the bottom screen of my ds lite, and now this one for my psp have all had the same thing happen....and they were all "hard" protectors.....or I guess maybe I just suck with those kinds lol.

[quote name='imascrub']The thing with the shieldzone PSP slim screen shield is that the picture shows a full face shield, but the picture they have for the PSP fat screen shield is just the screen. *shrug* [/QUOTE]

I just hope they design the skin so that it wouldn't interfere with the analog stick as jling84 mention.

Nice PSP, imascrub. :whistle2:D

I have a Hori on my PSP Fatty and it overlaps the screen edges by a bit. Sony must have made the screen opening a bit larger on the slim as the screen size is supposed to be the same.

I do like the Hori, it went on easy. It does have a tiny bit at the screen edges that does not adhere fully if you look closely. This is due to a tiny raise in the surface when you get beyond the screen. I am anal about that but most people would never see it. The Hori on the Slim does not have this issue but may if the protector was a bit larger.

[quote name='SSPrelude']I just hope they design the skin so that it wouldn't interfere with the analog stick as jling84 mention.

Nice PSP, imascrub. :whistle2:D[/quote]

heh thanks got a nice lookin one yourself. In the right lighting and at the right angle, I can sorta make mine look like your CC psp. Just nobody take a look at the back and they won't know lol :D

Also about the gummy feel of the shieldzone. I was thinking it would probably be good for the slims for some grip. You could probably just lay it on your fingers at a pretty good angle and it'll just sit there cuz there's just enough friction to keep it in place. Might be nice for people whose hands tend to get a little sweaty during gameplay (like me sometimes) or just don't like the feel of the slick glossy surface.

shit maybe I should just get the whole body shield lol. But man $20 is a lot just for protection and sort of grip lol

here's what I'm talkin about. A pretty good angle. (and another excuse for me to take more pics lol)

Image1.jpg

Haha nice pic.

Imascrub is completely right, the full body shield would give you really good grip which is great for the slim since the back is slick, smooth and flat now. Once I get my shieldzone full body skin I'll post my impressions regarding the analog nub problem.

The nub seems to have a bit more clearance when I compare my fat psp to my slim psp, so maybe it won't be a problem anymore. As a last resort you could always stick some little ball of paper inside the nub to raise it from the psp's front face. I did that for a while on my old psp, but I didn't like how the nub was much higher than the surface of the psp and would have trouble fitting in my psp pouch.

[quote name='jling84']Once I get my shieldzone full body skin I'll post my impressions regarding the analog nub problem.

The nub seems to have a bit more clearance when I compare my fat psp to my slim psp, so maybe it won't be a problem anymore. As a last resort you could always stick some little ball of paper inside the nub to raise it from the psp's front face. I did that for a while on my old psp, but I didn't like how the nub was much higher than the surface of the psp and would have trouble fitting in my psp pouch.[/QUOTE]

I'd really like to know if its a problem with the analog, did you get it yet? Also, is there a cutout at the speakers or did they cover it?

Yeah, we definitely need some impressions. I'm installing a Hori PSP Slim protector in a few... Anybody seen a good guide on how to do it without bubbles and such?

EDIT: Ah, went ahead and did it. Used the instructions here and a can of compressed air to make sure it was dust-free. Went on great, but the edges didn't stick well, as with all Hori screen protectors on the Slim. BTW, the pic doesn't show the blue Slim's colors off well at all. It's a pleasant light blue which sparkles. Love it.

BluePSPSlim.jpg

Would someone be kind enough to take a picture of the Hori protector with a game on? I'm curious about what it looks like if it doesn't cover the entire screen. Are there pixels that aren't covered since the protector is smaller than the screen around the edges?

I'm curious if it is distracting to anyone.

[quote name='eastx']BTW, the pic doesn't show the blue Slim's colors off well at all. It's a pleasant light blue which sparkles. Love it.

BluePSPSlim.jpg
[/QUOTE]

If you didn't tsay it was the felicia blue, I would've thought it was a ceramic white from the picture alone.

I'm going to give Best Skins Ever another shout out. I've used them for my ipod and phat PSP, and I couldn't have been happier. Just as good as Invisible Shield for much, much cheaper. Give 'em a try.

[quote name='tokerblue']Would someone be kind enough to take a picture of the Hori protector with a game on? I'm curious about what it looks like if it doesn't cover the entire screen. Are there pixels that aren't covered since the protector is smaller than the screen around the edges?

I'm curious if it is distracting to anyone.[/QUOTE]

It's not really distracting, I guess. You just see a big line. I guess depending which angle you hold your PSP, it could be distracting to some people. I paid 5 bucks thinking it would cover the whole screen. Anyways, here's a picture with a game on. It's not the best picture.

IMG_0062.jpg

Is that the Orange packaging or Blue (older) packaging Hori screen protector?

I heard the screen of the slim is slightly convex while the fat is completely flat.

[quote name='Synergy']I'm going to give Best Skins Ever another shout out. I've used them for my ipod and phat PSP, and I couldn't have been happier. Just as good as Invisible Shield for much, much cheaper. Give 'em a try.[/QUOTE]

I emailed them and they said they'll have a PSP Slim screen protector out probably by the end of this month.

[quote name='SSPrelude']It's not really distracting, I guess. You just see a big line. I guess depending which angle you hold your PSP, it could be distracting to some people. I paid 5 bucks thinking it would cover the whole screen. Anyways, here's a picture with a game on. It's not the best picture.

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc174/ssprelude/IMG_0062.jpg[/quote]
- Much thanks. It's too bad that Hori didn't make it a little bigger. I have their screen protector for the DS and it works great. But the DS also has a slight black frame around the screen.

[quote name='SSPrelude']It's not really distracting, I guess. You just see a big line. I guess depending which angle you hold your PSP, it could be distracting to some people. I paid 5 bucks thinking it would cover the whole screen. Anyways, here's a picture with a game on. It's not the best picture.

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc174/ssprelude/IMG_0062.jpg[/quote]
- Much thanks. It's too bad that Hori didn't make it a little bigger. I have their screen protector for the DS and it works great. But the DS also has a slight black frame around the screen.

[quote name='LancerEvoX']If you didn't tsay it was the felicia blue, I would've thought it was a ceramic white from the picture alone.[/QUOTE]

Yea, my camera has a powerful flash and I'm not sure how to adjust the lighting and such to take good closeups. If I had to describe the Felicia Blue, I'd say it's like baby blue. I'm loving it, though I was trying to play Monster Hunter Freedom 2 by myself and it gets way too hard pretty quickly.

Oh, and the Hori protector may not cover the outer few millimeters of the screen, but I promise it's not distracting at all. It's definitely a good, cheap solution.

Got the SW Ceramic White PSP today woot!

I used the blue packaging Hori protector and don't like the size or the bubbles around the edges.

I use the Pelican one I picked up from work on my PSP slim and I get that weird bubble around the edges, too. Eh, it doesn't bother me, really. It doesn't stand out unless I'm looking for it or the handheld is turned off. What bugs me more is the tiny little strand of hair(?) that got stuck under the screen protector that I'm too wary to remove cos it took ages to get the screen protector on without 100000 little smudges of dirt or whatever getting on it.

What sucks is I applied the Hori protector immediately after I removed the Star Wars sticker and still got dust.

To avoid the dust problem, you need to blast the screen with compressed air immediately before applying the detector,

[quote name='eastx']To avoid the dust problem, you need to blast the screen with compressed air immediately before applying the detector,[/quote]

Sadly for me, the dust got caught on the screen protector itself and trying to remove it only smudged it in deeper. xD Not even a solid wall of tape helped.

IIRC, the screen protectors work on static cling principles, meaning there is no adhesive that actually sticks on the screen. Therefore, you can wash the protector off with water to get all the dust off and let it dry. Once dry it will still stick to the screen as good as it did before.

[quote name='Ruahrc']IIRC, the screen protectors work on static cling principles, meaning there is no adhesive that actually sticks on the screen. Therefore, you can wash the protector off with water to get all the dust off and let it dry. Once dry it will still stick to the screen as good as it did before.[/QUOTE]

I dunno, I think the screen protector is dead at that point. Way too much exposure to the air.

i think they use some kind of silicon adhesive instead of static cling. The silicon adhesive doesn't leave any residue, but the stick is pretty strong. Not sure if washing will get off all the dust and hair either. It took me literally like 2 hours just to try to apply one on my old phone, and I washed it like 5 times but there was just some dust I couldn't get off (the sticky side is really sticky! Even under water). I eventually just said fuck it and tried to wash it off as best I could and blow off the excess water droplets with a compressed air can and just applied that thing. It wasn't perfect but I was done trying. I should've learned my lesson then but I still start off with those kinds of screen protectors first before trying something else lol.

I'm still waiting for my invisibleshield to come in the mail. It's gonna be a pain putting on, I'm sure!

I'll write up a small review if I have time.

I thought it was pretty good. I installed it in a steamy restroom (running the hot shower). I didn't get any dust, but I pushed down too hard with the rubber squeegee, so I need a replacement. It looks pretty good if you get it down right.

[quote name='outphase']I thought it was pretty good. I installed it in a steamy restroom (running the hot shower). I didn't get any dust, but I pushed down too hard with the rubber squeegee, so I need a replacement. It looks pretty good if you get it down right.[/quote]

What happens when you push too hard with rubber squeegee?

[quote name='decon']What happens when you push too hard with rubber squeegee?[/quote]

I had this huge scuff on the surface. The texture was different from the rest of the screen protector. When it was on, you can see distortion through that part of the screen.

A friend gave me one of his pelican psp protectors for his fatty, but the results were bubbletacular :(. Way too big for the screen in this case.

Oh well, I'll probably just keep it on 'till the best skins ever protector comes out for the slim, I have one on my ipod and it rocks.

I just finished applying my Shieldzone skin and I have to say I simply love it. I bought the full body skin that is broken up into 5 pieces: front face, screen, UMD cover, battery cover, and the remaining back face piece.

Anyway, the pieces are cut to perfection for the 3 pieces on the back, but I have to say the front face skin is a little bit long, and since the skin is extremely narrow and delicate near the section on the top and bottom (especially where the home, volume and select start buttons are) of the screen it can be difficult to apply properly. Finally, the extra tact of the skin creates for just the right amount of grip for the new slim psp as I felt it was slightly slippery to hold previously. I would highly recommend this product if you have had experience applying this sort of thing. However, if you are not and do not know anyone who is good at it, I would avoid it as it's almost inevitable that the skin will be ruined from a poor application.

I'm not very message board savvy so I'm not exactly sure how to post pictures here, but I have to give myself props for a job well done in applying the skin =). The skin is nearly unnoticable on my Crisis Core PSP. If someone could give me some advice on how to post pictures I'll take some and show you guys.

heh...you can check out http://imageshack.us/
you can upload pics and they'll have a bbcode for you ready to copy and paste here. You can also alternatively start up your own album at photobucket, which also is bbcode ready. The pics I posted I think are from photobucket...I forgot lol

Anyway thanks for the writeup. Question about the front stuff though. You said it's broken up into two pieces for the front? dpad/buttons and the screen protector? If I wanted, could I just only apply the screen protector? I dunno how they cut the front face piece so not sure how they separated the screen and button protectors lol. I'm really just interested in the screen protector, and the back pieces that go on either side of the UMD cover for grip.

Also how is the cut for the screen protector? Slightly larger that covers the entire screen?

Thanks imascrub for the help. Please check below for the pictures of my PSP. Please forgive my poor photographer skills and my crappy 10 year old 1mp camera. Yes... it is literally worse than a cell camera.

To answer your question imascrub, imagine if the front face skin was exactly the shape of the PSP's front side, except with holes cut out for the speaker holes, buttons, analog stick, and the screen and you have the front face skin.

The shield for the screen is virtually the same exact size of the screen, but it is not larger because if it were bigger it would overlap with the front face skin. I don't know if it's just because I applied it better this time, but compared to my psp fat shieldzone skin it doesn't give off this weird rainbow reflective effect this time. Also this screen protector is much much thicker than the Hori skin.

Also a slight correction to my earlier post; I lied about the whole set being separated into 5 pieces, it's actually 7 pieces.

The full body skin includes: front face, screen, battery cover, rear right piece, and the UMD drive cover is split into 3 pieces, a square piece with the circle cut out, a donut shape skin for the silver ring, and a small circle that covers the PSP logo circle inside of the ring. They could have just cut one big square, but I guess since there are grooves from the silver ring, they decided to separate it into 3 pieces.

dscf0005yb9.jpg

dscf0006ly7.jpg

dscf0007kl9.jpg

dscf0009kt0.jpg

dscf0010bc0.jpg

dscf0011xk8.jpg

dscf0012qi7.jpg

dscf0013fl6.jpg

Hope that helps!

Nicely applied and the photos are fine. Looks hard to apply :)

I watched the demo. What is that spray they use? Looks like I would get a ton of bubbles or short circuit the PSP if I tried it.

bread's done
Back