Alright Hollywood Remakes, this time you have gone too far

Ikohn4ever

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
Karate Kid Re-make Planned?
Blasphemy!
Source: IGN

Hollywood, you may remake our Psychos shot for shot. You may re-tool our Rear Window for a younger generation. You may even tinker around with our Halloween's – though we will not like you for doing it, Rob Zombie. But, you may not – NOT! – touch The Karate Kid. That's like sleeping with a person's sister and then never calling her again – it's just not on.

However, in the face of all that's right and good, IGN has been informed that Sony is planning to remake the story of a young boy with the ability to do avian-inspired scissor kicks and an old man who catches flies with chopsticks.

What's really weird is that the movie is apparently set to star Will Smith's son Jaden. Wha?! He was great in Pursuit of Happyness, but he's nine. The Karate Kid can't be nine. This piece of casting has apparently come about because the film will be made under the banner of Will Smith's Overbook Entertainment. Jerry Weintraub, producer of the 1984 movie, is apparently producing this too.

Now, this is still very much a rumour, though IGN says the source is reliable, so let's not get too worried just yet. But, just to maybe nip this in the bud, please sign our petition below.'
http://www.empireonline.com/news/feed.asp?NID=21136

Even though this is a rumor still, I have no doubt in my mind that if they think they can make a buck off of it, it will be remade. They are lucky Miyagi isn't still alive or he'd Crane Kick everyone involved in this in the face

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Maybe it'll be good this time around?[/QUOTE]

I think you must have forgotten that Pat Morita was nominated for an Oscar for the film

Oh please remake Schindlers List and Shawshank Redemption next :roll:

Once Hollywood bastardizes those they will have nothing left to remake.

Schindlers List sucked. You could just as easily watch newsclips from the war and stab yourself repeatedly in the balls with a tuning fork.

Back on topic, ugh. I'll vote with my wallet.

[quote name='Magehart']Oh please remake Schindlers List and Shawshank Redemption next :roll:

Once Hollywood bastardizes those they will have nothing left to remake.[/quote]

lmao i know i shouldnt be laughing and im not laughing at the film as much as the idea of remaking it. theyd probably give a feww of the jews power ranger powers and theyd morph into bad ass martial arts masters and take out the nazi hordes who we later find out hitler is an evil alien from another galaxy bent on total domination.

btw i read somewhere that the karate kid remake would be headed up by will smiths film company and will star ......his son!!!!!!!! i hate this country and its lazy video adaptation movies and wasteful remakes.

i always thought you could do another karate kid sequel of sorts with daniel and some of the others coming back to be at mr miyagis funeral and learning that the towns gone downhill to gangs and such team up to change things around.......but theyre all too old to do it i think not to mention there was a movie with that sort of theme ( using an ex military guy who taught gang teens capoeira ) only nobodys master had died.

or they could do a karate kid prequel showing mr miyagi as a teen growing up in okinawa and leading up to his eventual leaving okinawa to avoid fighting that guy and maybe even show him in the war.

I guess it's time for a Star Wars remake. Heck, why not just remake Harry Potter.

Really here, maybe I'm just getting old, but is Karate Kid really that old? Can they really do anything that different with it than they whenever it was released ($20 some years ago). If you want to rerelease it, fine. Why not just release the original, why redo it here.

Will Smith is becoming progressively more annoying with each film and project.

He was likable as the dopey Fresh Prince and Agent J in the first MIB, and surprisingly good in Six Degrees.

After that his arrogance rises as his successive projects are over-hyped and under-performed. Why does he always seem mad at the world in anything he does anymore, I mean, WTF was up with his character in I, Robot.

[quote name='lordxixor101']I guess it's time for a Star Wars remake. Heck, why not just remake Harry Potter.

Really here, maybe I'm just getting old, but is Karate Kid really that old? Can they really do anything that different with it than they whenever it was released ($20 some years ago). If you want to rerelease it, fine. Why not just release the original, why redo it here.[/quote]

because you need to add pop culture references, and the currnt forms of slang and toss in tons of subliminal and obvious advertising and product placement. the original film didnt have enough ads and cool stuff in it so it needs to be remade so people will buy cereals, sodas, expensive clothing and bratz dolls......

really off topic here but isnt it funny how people where whining about how barbie was somehow a bad rolemodel or girls but i swear most of the toys kids play with now especially the female toys are all very freakin whory.

[quote name='Magehart']Once Hollywood bastardizes those they will have nothing left to remake.[/quote]

Except another John Carpenter movie. Let's see, the only early films they haven't remade yet are They Live & The Thing. Escape from New York is supposedly being remade soon.

They turned The Fog into a fucking teen flick & Halloween humanized a unstoppable killer(fuck you Rob Zombie). Although Assault on Precinct 13 wasn't that bad, it's a completely different story from the original.

I think Madden should be made into a movie.

And then remade every year.

This is a great idea. I bet it would sell like....4 million copies the first day.

Copies of tickets.

Tickets that would be returned a week later.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Maybe it'll be good this time around?[/QUOTE]
Exactly.

[quote name='tangytangerine']Escape from New York is supposedly being remade soon. [/quote]

Okay, I see this turning into something along the lines of RE:Apocalypse.

What's sad about this is that the plot of Karate Kid is so generic that you don't need to "re-make" it to tell the exact same story. Relying on the name recognition basically says that they know from the outset that it isn't likely to be a good movie that attracts people on its own. It's the same plot as every other feel-good sports story where "once awesome so-and-so comes out of retirement to teach good-hearted kid(s) with promise how to be winners."

Only this version involves kicking people in the face.

Oh, and sweep the leg.

[quote name='tangytangerine']Except another John Carpenter movie. Let's see, the only early films they haven't remade yet are They Live & The Thing. Escape from New York is supposedly being remade soon.

They turned The Fog into a fucking teen flick & Halloween humanized a unstoppable killer(fuck you Rob Zombie). Although Assault on Precinct 13 wasn't that bad, it's a completely different story from the original.[/quote]

man that fog remake was brutally horrible no redeeming qualities at all. though there were 2 teen horror flicks i thought had promise if done properly. no correction 3.

wrong turn

jeepers creepers

and that one flick about the chick who got burned and killed peopel from the shadows.

all of those films compared to the other flicks stood out but if someone with talent took them over they could be awesome franchises.

[quote name='tangytangerine']Except another John Carpenter movie. Let's see, the only early films they haven't remade yet are They Live & The Thing. Escape from New York is supposedly being remade soon.[/quote]

Surprise - Carpenter's "The Thing" was a remake!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0044121/

See, they're not all bad.

[quote name='camoor']Surprise - Carpenter's "The Thing" was a remake!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0044121/

See, they're not all bad.[/quote]

yeah theoriginal thing was hokey like alot of those old time flicks so i guess carpenters remake was definelty a shining of a remake done right but then again back then quality was job 1. damn game was awesoem too too bad it didnt have much replay value.

[quote name='Bezerker']Speaking of terrible remakes, heres a review on the script for the Warriors remake:

http://www.latinoreview.com/scriptreview.php?id=33

Lmao, the Furies are latinos and the Lizzies are transexuals *shakes head*.[/QUOTE]
Damn you, I was trying to ignore this remake.........

EDIT: The Warriors is one of my favorite movies ever, if not my favorite. Here's a big fuck YOU to MTV & Paramount. That script is shit. They only way they can pull it off is if they get some really good actors for it, but it's MTV, so it won't happen.

[quote name='lokizz']yeah theoriginal thing was hokey like alot of those old time flicks so i guess carpenters remake was definelty a shining of a remake done right but then again back then quality was job 1. damn game was awesoem too too bad it didnt have much replay value.[/quote]

The game was great - I agree. When I played Freedom Fighters I couldn't see what the big deal was, because the same concept had been done and done better by "The Thing"

I haven't seen the original but I want to - the thing is that alot of those old-time movies didn't have great special effects so they had to rely on great characters.

It's like comparing the two "Flight of the Phoenix" movies - sure the remake had great special effects, but the remake pales when you realize you are comparing greats like James Stewart and Peter Finch to Dennis Quaid and Tyrese.

[quote name='thegarageband']It's not Karate Kid without Mr. Miyagi.

This shit better have Mr. Miyagi, and a cameo from Danny.[/quote]

Mr. Miyagi is dead.

[quote name='lordxixor101']Heck, why not just remake Harry Potter.[/quote]

They should remake Harry Potter - all of them. Give it to Peter Jackson or someone good and have him make seven epic movies that don't leave anything out or "kidify" anything. Make it dark and badass. The movies that are coming out now are total garbage and a complete disservice to the amazing books.

[quote name='javeryh']Mr. Miyagi is dead.

They should remake Harry Potter - all of them. Give it to Peter Jackson or someone good and have him make seven epic movies that don't leave anything out or "kidify" anything. Make it dark and badass. The movies that are coming out now are total garbage and a complete disservice to the amazing books.[/quote]

the harry potter series should be remade but itd do better as a tv mini series. you can stretch those things out for longer periods of time and get in more of the story than you could in movie form. to make a decent potter film youd have at least a 3 or more hour long film because theres so much in them that gets left out.

at leats with a tv mini series you could do 2 to 3 hours a week each book tv series should be released every month or 2 and when its all said and done you package it upin a colossal box set and call it a day. like how they used to do with those magical world of disney series i could see whatever channel that does that making tons of money and you could have the kids age properly in the series and not be way too old for their roles.

[quote name='camoor']The game was great - I agree. When I played Freedom Fighters I couldn't see what the big deal was, because the same concept had been done and done better by "The Thing"

I haven't seen the original but I want to - the thing is that alot of those old-time movies didn't have great special effects so they had to rely on great characters.

It's like comparing the two "Flight of the Phoenix" movies - sure the remake had great special effects, but the remake pales when you realize you are comparing greats like James Stewart and Peter Finch to Dennis Quaid and Tyrese.[/quote]

the flight of the phoenix remake was horrible stuff id be curious how the remake was done. actually i think i may have seen it if it had this weird german guy who tried to control everything only to have them all turn on him. and i think they made a big deal about water too.

[quote name='lokizz']the flight of the phoenix remake was horrible stuff id be curious how the remake was done. actually i think i may have seen it if it had this weird german guy who tried to control everything only to have them all turn on him. and i think they made a big deal about water too.[/quote]

In the new one I liked Ribisi's character - he was actually pretty true to the original while interesting in his own right. I admit I enjoyed the remake but it's nothing more then a fun waste of two hours when compared to the original.

bread's done
Back