Lost Odyssey - Gen. Discussion & Info

sleepy180

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
lostodysseycd9.png

The second of two epic RPG projects for Microsoft by Mistwalker, the studio founded by Square-Enix's Hironobu Sakaguchi. You play as Kaim, a man who's been sentenced to live for 1,000 years. The game's storyline takes you through Kaim's life as he lives through multiple generations, becomes a part of many families, falls in and out of love and gets into conflicts. All this is set in a world that is on the verge of a "mystical industrial revolution," where mankind has attained dark powers.

Set to release on 2/12/08

Gametrailers 8.8
IGN 8.2
Gamespy 2.5 stars
Famitsu: 9/9/9/9 -> 36/40
Famitsu 360: 10/8/9/8 -> 35/40

May 20, 2008 - DLC Available to US on May 23rd

http://www.n4g.com/xbox360/News-147445.aspx

"The popular role-playing game Lost Odyssey™ has a new dungeon pack available for play. The Seeker of the Deep dungeon is available from Xbox LIVE® Marketplace for 400 MS points.

To access the dungeon, download the DLC pack. Then, once the Nautilus can fly, fly to the center of the gulf on the right of the inland sea on the north of the Tower of Mirrors (near Saman, the City of Merchants), and dive into the water. When the game displays either "Examine" or "Enter" at the bottom right corner of the screen, press the A button, and delve into the Seeker of the Deep!

The dungeon is available May 23 for a cost of 400 MS Points. Download the pack and continue your odyssey! " - Microsoft, Published May 19, 2008

NOTE: This DLC dungeon was formally exclusive to only Japan/Asian Territories.

This dungeon package also adds 5 new achievements totalling 100 Gamerscore points. The new total for Lost Odyssey: 42 achievements with a total of 1100 points

April 23, 2008 - DLC Available to US on April 25th

http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=51570

Lost Odyssey is the story of Kaim, a 1,000 year old immortal character who doesn’t remember his past and nor knows where his future lies, who set out on an odyssey to discover his intricate past and destiny, leading players through a dramatic story of massive scale. Available April 25, the bonus pack (200 MS points) includes a new dream and two items.

Famed game producer Hironobu Sakaguchi of Mistwalker game studio, along with feelplus Inc. and Microsoft Game Studios, leads a staff of gaming masters to bring a truly next-generation role-playing experience to Xbox 360 in “Lost Odyssey.”

Lost Odyssey, featuring breathtaking visuals and an epic adventure , is the story of Kaim, an immortal character who has lived more than 1,000 years and doesn’t remember his past and doesn’t know where his future lies. Throughout Kaim’s journey, a handful of characters will join him on an odyssey to discover their intricate past and destiny, leading players through a dramatic story of massive scale.

A new item, "The Shattered Bond," is featured in the content. When all of the playable characters have joined the player party, visit the demolished bridge in front of the Castle of Uhra with the Shattered Bond item in your possession. A cutscene will occur allowing you to view a new dream.

Another new item includes the "Killer Machine" ring forged to specialize in fighting against magic-powered weapons. And make sure to check out the "Memory Lamp" which is a special item located in the Upgraded Nautilus towards the bottom of the screen at the end of the corridor, which allows players to view the various dreams.

All of these cool new items will be available on April 25 for 200 MS points through Xbox Live Marketplace.

April 6, 2008 - New Japanese Downloadable Content Hits April 10th

February 20, 2008 - VGChartz Sales Figures for week ending 2/16

February 6, 2008 - Gametrailers Review
Story - 9.6
Design - 8.0
Gameplay - 8.3
Presentation - 9.5

Overall - 8.8

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/30354.html

February 6, 2008 - Reviews Swarming In

February 3, 2008 - New Lost Odyssey Download Content Detailed
January 30, 2008 - Microsoft has announced details on the second batch of downloadable content for Lost Odyssey. It may seem strange hearing about new downloadable content for a game that isn't even out yet, but do keep in mind that this story originates from Japan, where Mistwalker's second title has been available for a couple of months now.

The "Special Item 3 Pack" will hit the Japanese Marketplace on February 7. Included is a new chapter in the "Thousand Years of Dreams" visual novel series, a new ring accessory called "Killer Machine," and a "Memory Lamp" item which lets you view previous event movies while on board the Nautilus.

Unlike the first pack, Microsoft is charging for this download. Prepare to relieve your account of 200 Microsoft

February 2, 2008 - Lost Odyssey English Extended Commercial
[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Awq2aLCN-4U[/MEDIA]

February 2, 2008 - Lost Odyssey Preview
[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vz8FpduTGJA[/MEDIA]

January 23, 2008 - Lost Odyssey Original Soundtrack Released
Track Listing
Disc 1 - Playing Time 1:14:29
01 Prologue 2:17
02 Battlefield 3:01
03 Fire Above the Battle 1:50
04 Stopping Blow 0:21
05 Immortal Life 0:46
06 Wohl Highlands 1:44
07 Battle Conditions 2:07
08 Victory 0:51
09 The Capital of Uhra 1:59
10 Neverending Journey 2:43
11 Epsylon Range 2:02
12 Sad Tortan 2:30
13 Gangara's Plot 2:31
14 An Enemy Appears! 1:39
15 World of Ice 4:06
16 March to War 1:53
17 Crisis & Warning 2:32
18 White Depot Ship 3:22
19 Eclipse Of Time (Harp Version) 3:47
20 Numara Palace 2:55
21 The Capital of Numara 2:55
22 Small Recollections 1:46
23 Kelelon Forest 1:55
24 A Mighty Enemy Appears! 2:58
25 Parting Forever 2:15
26 A Return, Indeed... (Piano Version) 3:54
27 Flashback
28 Invasion 2:15
29 A Sign of Hope 2:33
30 Theme of Pirates 2:03
31 Yosolo 2:15
32 Tosca Village 2:20
33 House of the Witch 2:24

Disc 2 - Playing Time 1:12:32
01 A Return, Indeed... (Vocal Version) 6:31
02 The Mysterious Machine of the Demons 1:59
03 Escape! 2:10
04 Saman, Town of Merchants 2:13
05 The Capital of Gohtza 2:00
06 Demons Invasion 2:14
07 The Man Possessed by the Demons 2:25
08 Decision 2:09
09 Blizzard Field 2:01
10 What You Are (Guitar Version) 2:00
11 Battle with the Demons 2:29
12 The Wanderer of Darkness 3:03
13 Ruins of the East 2:17
14 Dark Saint 2:53
15 Large Cruise 2:57
16 Interval of Dimensions 1:22
17 Distorted Space 2:00
18 Roar of the Departed Souls 4:54
19 Theme of Seth 2:54
20 Light of Blessing ~ A Letter 5:19
21 What You Are (Vocal Version) 5:27
22 Main Theme 4:05
23 Eclipse Of Time (Vocal Version) 7:10
pa.111614.2.jpg

Lost Odyssey Original Soundtrack
Publisher Aniplex
Composition Nobuo Uematsu
Arrangement Hiroyuki Nakamura, Satoshi Henmi
First Printing January 23, 2008
Price 3675 Yen

January 14, 2008 - Lost Odyssey Achievements Unlocked
Today we are also able to reveal the Achievements for Lost Odyssey. There are 36 in total, many of them listed as "secret." And many of those secrets appear to lie beyond the first disc. Still, here's a taste of how you can earn 1000 Gamerpoints playing Lost Odyssey in February.

There are 36 achievements with a total of 1000 points.

Survived (125 points)
Complete Disc 1.

Out to Sea (125 points)
Complete Disc 2.

Surfacing (125 points)
Complete Disc 3.

The End (125 points)
Complete Disc 4.

Skill Linker (30 points)
Make an immortal learn a skill from a mortal using Skill Link.

Skill Master Kaim (20 points)
Master all of Kaim's skills.

The Dreamer Wakes (20 points)
Unlock the first episode from A Thousand Years of Dreams.

Big Dreamer (10 points)
View all the episodes from A Thousand Years of Dreams.

Treasure Trove (20 points)
Obtain all Treasure Box items in the field. The items you missed may be available at auction houses.

Perfect Three (30 points)
Achieve Perfect three consecutive times in battle.

No One's This Perfect (10 points)
Achieve Perfect a total of 500 times in battle.

Thanks a Million (10 points)
Inflict a total of more than 1,000,000 damage points.

True Warrior (10 points)
Defeat 1000 enemies in battle.

Well Travelled (10 points)
Visit all the fields in the world.

Light Class Master (10 points)
Meet the secret requirement of the Backyard Light Class battle set and win.

Secret Achievements

Skill Master Seth (20 points)
Seth mastered all skills.

Skill Master Ming (20 points)
Ming mastered all skills.

Skill Master Sarah (20 points)
Sarah mastered all skills.

Skill Master Jansen (20 points)
Jansen mastered all available skills.

Skill Master Cooke (20 points)
Cooke mastered all available skills.

Skill Master Mack (20 points)
Mack mastered all available skills.

Skill Master Tolten (20 points)
Tolten mastered all available skills.

Skill Master Sed (20 points)
Sed mastered all available skills.

Spell Collector (20 points)
All spells have been obtained.

Defeated Cave Worm (10 points)
You defeated Cave Worm at the Forgotten Cave..

Defeated Persona (10 points)
You defeated Persona at the Old Sorceress' Mansion.

Defeated Holy Beast (10 points)
You defeated Holy Beast at Numara Atoll.

Defeated Blue Dragon (10 points)
You defeated Blue Dragon at the Snowfields of the Northernmost Land.

Defeated King Kelolon (10 points)
You defeated King Kelolon at Kelolon Village

Defeated Ghost of Eastern Ruins (10 points)
You defeated the Ancient Spirit Magician Fu at the Temple of Enlightenment.

Defeated Golden Knight (10 points)
Deactivated all Royal Seals and defeated Golden Knight.

Ring Assembler (30 points)
Assembled a ring using Ring Assembly.

Middle Class Master (10 points)
Met the secret requirement of the Backyard Middle Class battle set and won.

Heavy Class Master (10 points)
Met the secret requirement of the Backyard Heavy Class battle set and won.

Super Heavy Class Master (10 points)
Met the secret requirement of the Backyard Super Heavy Class battle set and won.

Champion (10 points)
Met the secret requirement of the Backyard last challenger and won.

December 11, 2007 - Preorder Bonus
Lost Odyssey, an upcoming role-playing game from Mistwalker and feelPlus, is now available for pre-order, publisher Microsoft announced today.

Gamers who buy a pre-order card for Lost Odyssey will also get a download code for an additional mission and an unlockable weapon, redeemable on Xbox Live Marketplace after the game releases. The download will be available to the general public in the spring.

[MEDIA]http://youtube.com/watch?v=nmZpAdxdBJI[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA]http://youtube.com/watch?v=U1h_4Fj1AUQ[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA]http://youtube.com/watch?v=60M4EizSIts[/MEDIA]

when i watched the TGS video of him "playing" (aka walking on a mountain fighting the same 2 monsters then loading a long ass cut-scene) I figured this game is going to be boring as hell. No thanks.

[quote name='coolsteel']Sounds like xenosaga all over again[/QUOTE]
Ugh. I could not sit through that game. My bro however somehow loved it and played it into the mornings as I got up for work.

X.x Why do RPG designers feel the need to compete for the "Longest Movie Known To Man" title?

Come up with something frakking new, cutscenes need to be abandoned.

wow, i was really looking forward to this game until now. but 20 hours of cutscenes... the only way id want that much is if the game was 100 hours. but half cut scenes... maybe ill let a friend buy it and i can just try it out.

I'm not going to judge this until it comes out, like you all should do. If the gameplay is enjoyable and the story is enticing it can still be great.

Did anybody seriously expect either this or Blue Dragon to be any good at all?

I, for one, am not suprised.

But hey, maybe the Japanese like sitting through 20 hours of mediocre movies.

[quote name='KingBroly']And I thought Heavenly Sword was excessive, jeez...[/QUOTE]

You could play through Heavenly Sword 3 times over and you still wouldn't be done watching the cutscenes. Wow.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']I'm still buying it.[/quote]

I concur, I love RPGs and if the Cutscenes are good I don't mind them at all.

I don't ever trust video game blogs. Even if it was true I think I would still purchase it. It has to be better than blue dragon thats for damn sure.

Lets see-- do I watch a good 2 hour movie or watch/interact with what will probably be a game with sub-B movie quality cutscenes? (they always are, always have been, even in Final Fantasy, and this won't change that. the end)

[quote name='sleepy180']MGS3 had alot of cutscenes but damn i loved the story. I just dont know about this one.[/QUOTE]
MGS3 has an amazing story, which is probably the difference between it and Lost Odyssey which I'm guessing has a decent story at best.

Still, if the story is decent and you are able to pause during cutscenes I'd probably be willing to give it chance.

So has anyone's opinion changed after reading the more current hands-on impressions?

I've been unfairly skeptical of this game, but I desperately want it to be great. It looks fantastic, and the story details (for some reason) were bringing back waves of FFIV memories.

I'm working on the Achievements before finishing up the last bits of Blue Dragon, and I've consistently enjoyed it. I'm a huge sucker for old-school JRPGs, so if Lost Odyssey can combine some classic gameplay with an engrossing (albeit long-winded) story, it's not going to take much convincing for me.

[quote name='sleepy180']http://xboxer.tv/2007/10/lost_odyssey_contains_20_hours.html

Holy crap. This game graphically looks awesome, but i was on the edge because of the traditional rpg turn based gameplay, but now im leaning towards not even a rent. half the game cutscenes? crazy.[/quote]

Traditional turn based RPG'S are my favorite kind. Half of the game being cutscenes can't be all that bad. I mean like they where saying up there MGS3 was an amazing game, I also loved the Bouncer which was 90% cutscenes. The Bouncer still stands as one of my favorite games from Last Gen.

[quote name='62t']according to people at gamefaqs you can get the preorder bonus right away at best buy[/QUOTE]
True. I picked one up this evening.

I'm definitely getting it. I made that decision when I watched the trailer on the mass effect preorder disc (right when i got my 360). I love Sakaguchi and Uematsu. HOnestly, I'm a tad skeptical and I'm nervous about the cutscenes and the length of the 'dreams', but i've heard nothing but positive notes. If you love JRPG's, you should dig this game.

[quote name='CouRageouS']Ugh. I could not sit through that game. My bro however somehow loved it and played it into the mornings as I got up for work.[/QUOTE]
Ditto. I LOVE XenoGEARS tho. Squaresoft must have required editing, whereas Namco musta treated the Saga team as primadonnas that shat gold.

The game tanked in japan.. only reason Im worried.

But Ill be splurging on this game none the less

lobomba.jpg

from sonydefenseforce . couldnt resist.

For some reason I thought this was an action RPG. Now that I know it's turn based I'm not really interested anymore. Maybe when its ~$20

This IGN quote has me worried also...

"Lost Odyssey occupies four discs because it is overflowing with cut-scenes. This is a story-heavy game and it appears that combat is not the focus."

[quote name='Tyvan']This IGN quote has me worried also...

"Lost Odyssey occupies four discs because it is overflowing with cut-scenes. This is a story-heavy game and it appears that combat is not the focus."[/quote]

The achievements for the game

Complete Disc 1 125g
Complete Disc 2 125g

Etc

Sigh -_-V Another Eternal Sonata achievement game.. woo.... wo...w..

I still want to get this,because I love RPGs.

Ugh I hope its not like Xenosaga. I got rid of that game after playing it for 20 hrs and I did more cutscenes then playing.

[quote name='mykevermin']Look at the system it's on, dude.[/QUOTE]
Wasn't Lost Odyssey supposed to help sales of said system in that region?

MS should really just give up on Japan or have they already?

yeah, i dont care for rpgs much, but i was looking forward to this. now that i know that this has 20 hours of cutscenes, i will wait until it drops to $20-$30.

[quote name='Tyvan']This IGN quote has me worried also...

"Lost Odyssey occupies four discs because it is overflowing with cut-scenes. This is a story-heavy game and it appears that combat is not the focus."[/QUOTE]
Good. I would rather the story be the focus in a RPG.

[quote name='Ice2Dragon']The game tanked in japan.. only reason Im worried.[/QUOTE]
Everything for 360 tanks in Japan. Except IDOLM@STER. Do you really want it to be like IDOLM@STER?

I believe Idolmaster only has 100k units shipped, so the install base is going to be a bit lower than that at least. I've seen estimates as low as 70k. Blue Dragon & DOA4 have both outsold it at 200k & 100k. Eternal Sonata is at least 70k.

Where Idolmaster shines is being #3 in the WORLD in DLC revenue, at something like $2.8M. Its quite ridiculous.

Half of the game time being cutscenes is a bit absurd. I like a story and all but I also like to play the game. I couldn't really ever get in to Xenosaga because of it and had some trouble finishing Blue Dragon.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Where Idolmaster shines is being #3 in the WORLD in DLC revenue, at something like $2.8M. Its quite ridiculous.[/quote]

WTF? What the hell kindof downloadable content does it have to produce that kind of numbers when it isn't even released outside of Japan? Wait... I don't really think I even want to know. Forget I asked.

[quote name='Draekon']Half of the game time being cutscenes is a bit absurd. I like a story and all but I also like to play the game. I couldn't really ever get in to Xenosaga because of it and had some trouble finishing Blue Dragon.

WTF? What the hell kindof downloadable content does it have to produce that kind of numbers when it isn't even released outside of Japan? Wait... I don't really think I even want to know. Forget I asked.[/quote]

I LOVED the cutscenes from eternal sonata.. they were beautiful.

Hopefully these will be just as good -_-V

And the DLC for Idolmaster is insane.. that game is like a cult over there.

I'm really looking forward to this game but it looks like I'll just wait until it's cheaper. Unless a game has online multiplayer, there really isn't a reason to buy a game for full price.

[quote name='Masterkyo']They should put cutscenes on 1 Disc and the game is on separate Disc. We spend $60 game to play not watch.[/quote]

RPGs main focus should be the story.
I dont want to play a 40 hour game with no freaking story.

You spend money to have the expirence.

bread's done
Back