Microsoft v Generic vga cable

Always always always buy the real thing when it comes to VGA cords.

Go to your local ebgames, they should have 1st party ones used for $10-20

Absolutely buy the official cables. As mentioned, they are $10 used at eb/gamestop (hard to find, however).

My 360 recently went kaput on me due to an E74 error which is related to your AV cables. I had purchased some cheap knock offs from eBay and have now learned my lesson. Wish I had researched the subject more.

With analog cables (for instance, VGA) you want to buy the best cable you can afford. Digital cables (DVI, HDMI) you can buy for cheaper as the signal either passes through it or it doesn't. Analog cables have issues with interference and it will affect your picture, the better the shielding, the better the picture...

[quote name='creeeaature']My 360 recently went kaput on me due to an E74 error which is related to your AV cables. I had purchased some cheap knock offs from eBay and have now learned my lesson. Wish I had researched the subject more.[/QUOTE]

It's not necessarily the AV cables. My 360 died 3 months with error #74 and it wasn't the AV cable. The AV is the first thing they ask you to check but it's usually the scaler chip that the AV plugs directly into that goes bad and sometimes the GPU itself.

I bought a "Dragon" VGA cable via a CAG thread from PlayAsia for my second 360 using it on an extra 20inch CRT i had sitting here and the picture is great. Most reviews say the VGA I'm using is just as good as or better than the more expensive MS 1st party version.

[quote name='retail sucks']
I bought a "Dragon" VGA cable via a CAG thread from PlayAsia for my second 360 using it on an extra 20inch CRT i had sitting here and the picture is great. Most reviews say the VGA I'm using is just as good as or better than the more expensive MS 1st party version.[/QUOTE]

I have that same one and it looks excellent. If you can find an official one for $10 at EB/GS go for it, but there is no need to spend $40 on an official VGA cable instead of picking up one of these for $14.

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-de-49-en-70-178e.html

Get a used set from EB. Use the store locator on their web site to find a store that has them instock. Then call the store and make sure they actually have them.

Some places miss label things or keep them in the back. And the people who work there are often too lazy to find them for you.

[quote name='PenguinMaster']VGA[/QUOTE]

well good then! :)

I was kind of teed off when I found out there was a cheaper vga cable then the 40 dollar ms cable and was planning on returning it however now I see it was worth the money.

[quote name='KingDox']Get a used set from EB. Use the store locator on their web site to find a store that has them instock. Then call the store and make sure they actually have them.

Some places miss label things or keep them in the back. And the people who work there are often too lazy to find them for you.[/quote]
Well the store I went to was pretty nice.. they actually found a used one.. but when I looked at the cable, it was a S-video cable - there was no VGA connector on it! Wherever they packaged it before they put it on the shelf, no one bothered to look it was the correct cable, even though the SKU sticker clearly said it was a xbox 360 VGA cable..
I was just pissed I drove all that was only to find out they had the wrong cable..

I've been using official MS VGA cables I bought used from Gamestop and have been seeing some strange blue pixelation on my display every now and then when I boot the 360 up (which go away right after I reset the machine). After scouring the net and finding having no luck in finding anyone with similar problems I called up MS and asked if they had heard of similar situations. The employee I talked to offered to replace my VGA cables to see if there would be any difference. Apparently if you are under warranty still you can ask to have any cables replaced for free. I got the cables in 2 days and never had to produce any proof that I purchased the VGA cables from Gamestop. Interesting that the VGA cables are under warranty even though they don't come with the premium package I originally bought.

bread's done
Back