The Orange Box: Portal - Gen. Discussion - Companion Cubes For Sale Soon!

LinkinPrime

CAGiversary!
Feedback
170 (100%)

http://orange.half-life2.com/
[media]http://youtube.com/watch?v=wDwn0o8FbbY[/media]​
Features

The Orange Box delivers five innovative games from Valve®, creators of the blockbuster Half-Life franchise, in one action-packed box. The Orange Box includes Half-Life® 2: Episode Two, Portal™ and Team Fortress® 2 in addition to full versions of the award-winning Half-Life® 2 and Half-Life® 2: Episode One for an engrossing first-person action experience.
  • Five games, one orange box: The Orange Box is the ultimate collection of innovative action games for the console, and an amazing introduction to the Half-Lifeseries for console gamers.
  • Epic storyline: Half-Life 2: Episode Two takes you deeper into one of the best-known stories in gaming, following the desperate struggle of Gordon Freeman against the mysterious Combine. In this episode, you must leave the confines of City 17 for the first time and face even greater dangers beyond the city walls.
  • Redefining action: Portal delivers an innovative new action gaming experience. Arming you with a portal gun that lets you create portals from one location to another with the press of a button, Portal will forever change the way that you interact with your environment.
  • World-class multiplayer: Team Fortress 2 is the sequel to the granddaddy of role-based multiplayer action games. Featuring nine distinct roles—Heavy, Spy, Scout, Demoman, Engineer, Medic, Sniper, Soldier, and Pyro—Team Fortress 2 is one of this year’s most anticipated multiplayer games for any platform.
1170869331.jpg
Achievment List:
http://www.achieve360points.com/game/theorangebox/
---------------------------
Update 11/12: Get your own companion plushie soon for you and/or the car!

Here’s a sneak peek at the plush Weighted Companion Cube coming soon to the Valve Store. Your rear-view mirror will want a pair of companions, too.

companioncubes.jpg
http://storefront.steampowered.com/Steam/Marketing/message/1301/
---------------------------
Please use this thread to discuss Portal.

Other game discussions here:

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Is portal an action game or a puzzle game?[/QUOTE]

It's more of a puzzle game than anything from what I've read. It's not really an FPS, you are just using the portals to get you through the environments.

From the trailers I've seen it's a bit of both. It seems to be a puzzle game that (eventually?) becomes very fast paced.

It's more like a first-person platformer (which, almost by definition, means action-packed puzzles).

They talked about Portal on the 1up show this week. The more I hear about it the more it interests me. It's the second podcast I've heard mention how funny the game actually is, which I didn't expect, and how clever and unique the game is, which was expected but it looks like they delivered.

I'm having a hard time deciding which game to play first.

I know it's going to be more of a puzzle game, but it'd be sweet to see this gun incorporated into an action game; who knows, maybe it'll end up having parts where you have to kill guys with only the portal gun. I just want variety in the game, but I am a bit psyched to play.

Wow. I've been trying to avoid the Orange Box hype (mostly because I've still got Bioshock and Halo to finish) but I may be drawn in, especially with that 2 for 1 deal at TRU next week...

Oh man, Portal is awesome! I just finished the room where you get the fully upgraded portal gun. Good times. I'm having a lot more fun with it than I thought I would. Also the comments the computer voice makes are hilarious.

Wow, I was more interested in HL2 and TF2 than this even though it looked cool. I actually played Portal first just to "check it out." Well, that turned in to about an hour of game time before I even checked HL2 or TF2. Really, really cool game.

Apparently you can beat it in less than three hours easily. That saddens me. I really want this to become a MMOFPS.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']No one else has tried Portal yet? Or am I the only one who thinks it's probably the best game in the package?[/QUOTE]

finished it, and one of the best games I've played all year :D it's short, but there isn't a wasted moment. The last stage is just plain amazing.

I can see why they would want to keep it short. If it was like 10 hours long, it would probably get repetitive, have more downtime etc. But I hope modders make some new maps for it ;)

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']No one else has tried Portal yet? Or am I the only one who thinks it's probably the best game in the package?[/QUOTE]
Nobody else.

You're the only one, man.

Congrats.

Ok, I'm enjoying the game, but feeling a bit let down...

http://xbox360.gamespy.com/xbox-360/half-life-2/736576p1.html

"Speaking of frame rates, the first thing the Valve representative told me when I mentioned that I played the Xbox version of the game was that the Xbox 360 title would be locked-in at 60 frames per second, even during the most intense firefights."

It's running at 30 fps. Ok, I'll suck it up and won't whine, as the game seems steady, but I can't help but wonder what happened to the 60 FPS, and/or the AA...

Those playing portal might be interested in this site:
http://www.aperturescience.com/

It gives some of the games back story and such. It is actually, like the game, quite humorous. Getting in is a puzzle itself. All the information to login is hidden in Portal.

Type Login.
Username: CJOHNSON
Login: TIER3
Type HELP for a command list.

liken Portal so far, actually wise they put some more maps out for it tho. U lucky comp people get the modders while we console people have to pay for additional maps :(

Yea, I'm almost all the way through, and it is seriously awesome. Hoping for the beginnings of a new franchise...

Though I'm sure it takes a lot of dev time that only ends up taking a few minutes in game.

This game really surprised the fuck out of me!

i was excited in this order:

TF2
HL2 (with episodes)
and then Portal was thrown in.

but this is a hell of a lot of fun.

WTF is up with level 18...I can't for the life of me figure that one out...I'm stuck at the end where you reach the exit and you have to take out the drones that are in pillars and there's water below them...don't know what to do next.

Minor...uh...spoilers, I guess...

[quote name='LinkinPrime']WTF is up with level 18...I can't for the life of me figure that one out...I'm stuck at the end where you reach the exit and you have to take out the drones that are in pillars and there's water below them...don't know what to do next.[/QUOTE]
I was watching my friend play this earlier and he got stuck on the same part. We figured out to make the energy balls hit the turrets to shut them down, and eventually figured out a way to get on the elevated platforms, using the "momentum" method if I remember correctly. Last I saw he was on the high platform on the right side of the room (if you're facing the way you came in), trying to figure out a way to get to the high platform on the left side. We futzed around with it at that point for 20 minutes before quitting in frustration and bewilderment. Not sure if he figured it out yet. When I left, he had put a door on the opposite side of the room, facing the high platform on the left. Then he would jump onto the deactivated energy ball gun as a makeshift platform, put a portal on the floor area far down below, and jump down through the hole (theoretically having the momentum cause you to land on the platform). Problem is, every single time we kept either overshooting it or slamming into it and falling below.

Portal is a suprisingly fantastic game. I hope that there are a ton of new maps via dlc. And does anyone else have the turret sayings stuck in their head .. "is anyone there?"

See, this is the kind of "FPS" I want to see more of. Something different and makes you think. VALVe should turn this into some sort of first person shooter Brain Age :D

Speaking of turrets .. did anyone else have a turret knock down another one without unlocking the achievement? I've also encountered problems of shooting down security cameras without it going towards the counter thing.

[quote name='Maklershed']Speaking of turrets .. did anyone else have a turret knock down another one without unlocking the achievement? I've also encountered problems of shooting down security cameras without it going towards the counter thing.[/QUOTE]

The first one I did unlocked the achievement. That's weird.

I freaking love this game. I don't care that it's short. It is fantastic. I wouldn't care if other games were this short if they were so fun. Amazing.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Minor...uh...spoilers, I guess...

I was watching my friend play this earlier and he got stuck on the same part. We figured out to make the energy balls hit the turrets to shut them down, and eventually figured out a way to get on the elevated platforms, using the "momentum" method if I remember correctly. Last I saw he was on the high platform on the right side of the room (if you're facing the way you came in), trying to figure out a way to get to the high platform on the left side. We futzed around with it at that point for 20 minutes before quitting in frustration and bewilderment. Not sure if he figured it out yet. When I left, he had put a door on the opposite side of the room, facing the high platform on the left. Then he would jump onto the deactivated energy ball gun as a makeshift platform, put a portal on the floor area far down below, and jump down through the hole (theoretically having the momentum cause you to land on the platform). Problem is, every single time we kept either overshooting it or slamming into it and falling below.[/quote]

I was doing that last night and I couldn't make it happen...now that I know I was on the right track, I'll keep at it. Thanks.

[quote name='Maklershed']Speaking of turrets .. did anyone else have a turret knock down another one without unlocking the achievement? I've also encountered problems of shooting down security cameras without it going towards the counter thing.[/quote]

The way I got it was this way....Pick up a turret, walk over to another one, knock it down just by slaming it with the other turret...worked for me.

I picked the game up last night and haven't had a chance to play it. Even though I haven't played it, I would love to see this gun show up in HL3 Ep.3 ... I can only imagine the different scenarios you could create with it.

[quote name='daroga']How many "levels" are there in Portal?[/quote]

As far as I know there's 19 main ones, but it seems like there's more "Advanced Levels" according to the achievements.

[quote name='JWK']I freaking love this game. I don't care that it's short. It is fantastic. I wouldn't care if other games were this short if they were so fun. Amazing.[/quote]

I can't agree more. I don't care if every single player game ever made again is only 3 hours long, if it is this good then I will pay $60 a pop.

I'm on the last level of this amazing game and i'm losing my mind. I'm stuck in the room with about 10 pipes that are slowly opening and closing and I cant figure out how to move on. I wanted to finish this thing on my own but i'm going insane. Please help!!!!!

[quote name='WorldFamous']I'm on the last level of this amazing game and i'm losing my mind. I'm stuck in the room with about 10 pipes that are slowly opening and closing and I cant figure out how to move on. I wanted to finish this thing on my own but i'm going insane. Please help!!!!![/QUOTE]

hints:

if this is the room I'm thinking of, they don't go all the way into the walls, and the escape is at the top.

Don't worry though, it's all worth it for the cake at the end.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Can you knock down cameras on surfaces that you can't use portals on?
Do those count towards the achievement as well?[/quote]

You can simply walk into them to knock them over.

bread's done
Back