Any shows similar to Dead Like Me?

hiccupleftovers

CAGiversary!
After watching the marathon that was on Sci Fi not too long ago, and getting through my Season discs watching the show again, I was wondeirng if there was anything that is similar to the show. It could be about death or storytelling style, but just as long as it iseems to be something similar to Dead Like Me. No weird out there tangents.

I also have Wonderfalls and heroes, which comes from the same guy that did Dead Like Me (producer/writer).

[quote name='RedvsBlue']The new shows this season, Reaper and Pushing Daisies, seem to be trying to copy it to a certain extent.[/quote]

I haven't managed to catch Pushing Daisies this season yet, but it's supposed to be made by the same guy that did Dead Like Me and have a similar story revolving around death. Isn't Reaper supposed to be a lower level sitcom or something like that? It didn't seem that good from the previews I have seen.

[quote name='pacifickarma']I'll take this opportunity to recommend "Firefly." Nothing like DLM, but great storytelling![/quote]

Got it. Actually, I need to go to BB and pick up a new copy of it and DLM Season 2 since my FF has been acting up for awhile now and that my DLM isn't working either.

Pushing Daisies is exactly what you are looking for. Reaper is what you didnt know you were looking for. 2 amazing shows (ESPECIALLY Pushing Daisies)

I had Reaper on the TV in the background the other night. Seemed like the formula of weekly super powered threat ala Smallville or Supernatural. I could see myself getting into it.

I'll throw in another vote for Pushing Daisies. It's probably the closest thing to Dead Like Me yet, though they can't get away with the same type of language and themes that they could on Showtime seeing as it's a network show. Same sense of comedy with death, though.

[quote name='CouRageouS']I had Reaper on the TV in the background the other night. Seemed like the formula of weekly super powered threat ala Smallville or Supernatural. I could see myself getting into it.[/QUOTE]
Pretty much. Though the characters, script, and acting aren't anything to write home about. Passable, but nothing too special.

[quote name='Jek Porkins']I'll throw in another vote for Pushing Daisies. It's probably the closest thing to Dead Like Me yet, though they can't get away with the same type of language and themes that they could on Showtime seeing as it's a network show. Same sense of comedy with death, though.[/quote]
Hmmm...I'll definitely have to put some effort now into catching Pushing Daisies. Hopefully it won't be too long until it's on DVD since that seems to be the best method for me to catch a show anymore since I'm so busy with work and other things.

As soon as I started getting the recommendatiosn for Pushing Daisies, I started thinking about how much they could pull of on network TV. The swear words, themes, images, etc. of Dead Like Me only further help its sensibilites and to of course make it seem much more realistic. Today's tv shows on regular standard network and most cable TV just seem far to saccharine and overtly fake to me. Of course these shows are mostly make believe to begin with, but still, isn't art supposed to imitate real life so could it hurt them to just fucking throw in a swear word or two, even if it gets bleeped and then to release an unedited version of the show on DVD.

Edited just so I don't make another post right now:

You know, I still can't get over the fact of how phenomenally great this show is and how the fuck the shit brains at Showtime managed to cancel it. The show is deep and tragic, and to quote what Rube says in an episode, "manages to skirt the line between tragic and funny as Charlie Chaplin did" (not word for word, but close enough for me at this hour). There is simply a brilliance in the show that I don't think I've seen in any other show. Its views on death or rather tremendous (perhaps a bit moreso for me now after having gone through two very difficult deaths recently). The episodes never feel tepid or boring even after several viewings (upto my fifth on certain episodes (not counting watching reruns on Sci-Fi)).

Also, it's actually kind of funny to know that Sci-Fi cuts the bad language (which is slightly noticeable), but manages to splice in some - if not most of - the deleted scenes into the show.

Bah...I can't wait for the movie to come out. I'm saddened that they couldn't get Diasy's original actress back or Rube back, but they have the rest and I'm hoping for the best. Perhaps it might get picked backup by Sci-Fi (I believe it is owned by MGM anyway) and shown new seasons, which might then have Rube and company back. I still want to know what happened to Betty as well. That is one of the saddest and most heart felt episodes of this short lived series when she goes. It was truly unexpected and still one of my favorite episodes from the series.

Dead Like Me is NOTHING like Pushing Daisies. DLM is a wonderful fun show that has it's own feel to it without being lame.

PD is lame, it's over the top cutish, with a dumb storyline about death, and they don't even follow the one minute rule at all. I feel like I'm watching The Cat in the Hat or something. I don't like it, and it seems you won't like it either.

Reaper is fun, it's a dramedy, but they need to do more than "Freak of the Week" storylines. It will have no staying power, but I think it's a lot better, more fun, and closer to DLM than PD ever will be.

And Sci-fi Channel is not owned by MGM, it's owned by NBC, which is owned by Universal Studios. MGM owns Stargate and was looking to move SG-1 to another channel but couldn't because Sci-fi had the only rights to show it.

God... I love this show, I just started the second season. Too bad it ended. There's gonna be a movie, I think?

Anyways, not like DLM but still just as good. I'd recommend WEEDS and Dexter.

Dead like me is one of my all time favorites shows. I have yet to find something that is kinda like it.

Either they are to comical or the are to dark.

meh.

[quote name='VipFREAK']God... I love this show, I just started the second season. Too bad it ended. There's gonna be a movie, I think?

Anyways, not like DLM but still just as good. I'd recommend WEEDS and Dexter.[/quote]

I can't stand Weeds. I find the show monotonous and just plain dumb. I haven't seen Dexter yet.

Aww come on, a hot MILF trying to be a drug dealer in a Range Rover with spinnahs? That's funny in itself. It's like a funny version of that movie Thank for Smoking.

[quote name='VipFREAK']^dOOd you gotta check out Dexter then. lol[/quote]

Hmm..I cant say I even know what Dexter is? I dont think I have ever heard of it.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']I can't stand Weeds. I find the show monotonous and just plain dumb. I haven't seen Dexter yet.[/quote]

Then you will REALLY hate Pushing Dasies. :lol:

I'll throw another vote in for Pushing Daisies. I finally got around to watching the first 2 episodes last night and I really liked it, I saw also that you mentioned Wonderfalls, I'd say Pushing Daisies is more similar to that with a death theme instead of talking objects then it is to Dead Like Me. I also absolutely love the art style of Pushing Daisies. I have found the acting in Pushing Daisies to be slightly subpar though, I'm hoping that will improve a little though as the run goes on and the actors get a better feel for their characters,

I missed week 2 of pushing Daisy's.

I somewhat liked DLM (wife loved it, I wasn't as big of a fan, but saw most of the episodes).

Even though I like PD, the main comparison's is that they both focus around death. Outside of that, the first episdoe was almost too cute, just jamming a certain happy go lucky feeling down your throat. It was something that I can't remember DLM ever doing.

That being said, I like PD, and plan to catch the episode this week. But, they are not the same show.

Have you seen Odyssey 5? It's one of the shows Showtime canceled along with DLM, good show. Nothing like DLM, but it's a good show and Sci-fi Channel is showing it. Doctor Who is a serious comedy that has a family feel to it.

Hmm...hadn't even heard of Odyssey 5 before you mentioned it in this thread. I'll look into it. Do you know what times they show it/what's it all about/if it is out on DVD by any chance?

Ugh... if the Ugly Betty look at times didn't kill Pushing Daisies, the theme does. It seems like it's something that's been done already. The bottom line though is that it's more of an irritating show than a funny show.

The Pie hole though... lool

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Hmm...hadn't even heard of Odyssey 5 before you mentioned it in this thread. I'll look into it. Do you know what times they show it/what's it all about/if it is out on DVD by any chance?[/quote]

It's on DVD. Sci-fi just started showing it on Fridays at 8pm and Saturday morning at 1am.

They just showed the first half of the pilot last week. Good show. There are several episodes that are truely awlful storywise, but there are at least 15 pretty solid episodes out of 20.

The show is done by Manny Coto, who is a great writer, and he is now wasting his time on 24. And stars Peter Weller, I watch anything with him in it.

Once again it is nothing like DLM, but it's a fun ride. The DVD would be better because Sci-fi Channel will have to edit the few sex scenes there are. Plus the swearing is edited and the show really needs the swearing.

And there is one line I remember from the show...

"Legit, legit, everything legit until the planet blows to shit!" - Peter Weller

Cool, I'll look for a copy of it at a BB or something. I've been looking all over lately for a DLM season 2 to replace my copy that's not working for awhile so who knows how long it will take me to find a copy.

By the sounds of it, it sounds like a good show.

Here is the begining....

We saw the Earth destroyed, and in a heartbeat everything and everyone we knew was gone. There were five of us, the crew of the space shuttle Odyssey, and we were the only survivors. A mysterious being who called himself The Seeker rescued us and sent us back in time. And now we have five years to live over, five years to discover who or what destroyed the Earth, five years to stop it from happening again.
Sadly the show only last 3 months in their TV time, and has an ending I saw 3 years ago and my jaw is still on the floor. It has no ending, you will want to strangle someone after watching the last several minutes of the show.

And the second half the pilot, which airs tomorrow, is kind of blah, but stick with it. It is almost like a very dark X-Files. On Odyssey 5 you know what happens when they fail, and they go around trying to figure out what made the Earth go boom. There are several "freaks of the week" episodes, but they are handled so well and connected to the overall storyline it works well.

Oddly this is the only video of the show I can find, it's from an episode where the writer (The fake one and the real one) makes fun of the whole point of the show. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bquwtOZHCDU

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']That's cool...

We're probably now seeing the piracy blockers that Youtube/Google is implementing onto Youtube, which sucks.[/quote]

Well it was the intro to the show, which most companies don't care about, plus it said the user deleted it, which I find strange.

However any of the sci-fi shows Showtime has made should be good. :)

I don't know if anyone caught it or posted it, but the pilot directed by Kevin Smith of "Reaper" had George's boss lady from "Dead like me" in it.

[quote name='veedubkid']I don't know if anyone caught it or posted it, but the pilot directed by Kevin Smith of "Reaper" had George's boss lady from "Dead like me" in it.[/quote]

Every episode of Reaper has her in it. It's not more than 30 seconds for each epsiode through. It's really a was of the actress.

I have enjoyed pushing daisies...not so much for the storyline (it is trying to be too cute, and it isn't really my thing) but it is HD visual eye candy. Some of the scenes look incredible. It is not doing that well, and it is a bubble show

I have enjoyed reaper so far, but mostly due to the comedic sidekick rather then the show itself. I can see this show going stale fast..

Daxter is an excellent show about a police coroner that is a serial killer. He hunts bad guys....first season it took a couple episode before it became must see tv for me. But once it picked up around episode 4(roughly) it was solid the rest of the year. This year is season 2, and it has been excellent.

[quote name='bigdaddy']Dead Like Me is NOTHING like Pushing Daisies. DLM is a wonderful fun show that has it's own feel to it without being lame.

PD is lame, it's over the top cutish, with a dumb storyline about death, and they don't even follow the one minute rule at all. I feel like I'm watching The Cat in the Hat or something. I don't like it, and it seems you won't like it either.
[/quote]

You realize Pushing Daisies is made by the same guy as Dead Like Me right.

Sorry, didn't know I only watched the 1st episode. That brunette chick (aalso from last season of heroes) is to hot for me to watch, she hurts my eyes :)

[quote name='Layd Dly']You realize Pushing Daisies is made by the same guy as Dead Like Me right.[/quote]

So?

First of all he only did several episodes and then left, so more of the show is done without him.

And isn't Heroes done by Bryan Fuller too? Are you saying that Heroes is like Dead Like Me? :roll:

People can write different things! Ever good people can write bad shit.

[quote name='bigdaddy']Well it was the intro to the show, which most companies don't care about, plus it said the user deleted it, which I find strange.

However any of the sci-fi shows Showtime has made should be good. :)[/quote]

The only other Sci-Fi show I have seen from Showtime was The Outer Limits which neary every episode is awesome (Sand Crawlers anyone?). I haven't really seen anything other than that and DLM from them. I should find a site that has Showtime's back catalog and see what's out on DVD so I can either rent or buy it.

Just mentioning a show...

Moonlighting is your typical vampire show but it's got a bit of character like Dexter. There's the blond chick from Underworld in it too. Erica was her name.

Sorry for the bump on this thread, but I just felt that since this question is DLM related that this would be the right place to put it. Does anybody know what the Ecclesiastes quote from Angelo in the episode, "In Escrow," is? I don't mind watching the episode again or fast forwarding to that part, but it would be helpful if it were written somewhere online or said from which portion of Ecclesiastes it's from.

[quote name='VipFREAK']God... I love this show, I just started the second season. Too bad it ended. There's gonna be a movie, I think?
[/QUOTE]
I thought this show was long gone. I had hopes it would be picked up, and then I gave up hope. And now a movie. I will not get hopes up that the show will be back, but this is pretty cool. I had to wait until Lost until I was really excited about another show.

[quote name='Stoneage']I thought this show was long gone. I had hopes it would be picked up, and then I gave up hope. And now a movie. I will not get hopes up that the show will be back, but this is pretty cool. I had to wait until Lost until I was really excited about another show.[/quote]

Yeah, there's been word about a movie since last Comic-Con. It was actually supposed to be out around this time this year, but since then they've pushed it back till next year around may-july. Still, I'm thrilled. They've also mentioned that if it did well enough that Sci-fi might pick up the series or they might continue with the straight to dvd/tv movie route. On the one hand, I'm thrilled that they might pick it up and we'll get more, and on the other I know that this is Sci-Fi channel (desecrators of Sliders and other shows) and that it probably won't have as much of the creative freedom that they had on Blowtime, plus curse words of course.

It was never supposed to come out this year, that was a guess. It will come out for next Comic Con because they can make sure everyone knows about it there.

And considering the changes, and recasting of a key charater, I can wait.

bread's done
Back