Any deals right now for video cards?

Hot Sizzle

CAGiversary!
Has anyone run into any good deals on 128-256mb video cards lately? I just wanna run a couple games like ut2004 and sims2 a little smoother. I have 2.5 Ghz and 768mb ram right now. I was checking out newegg.com and saw some 256mb cards for under $80, anyone know if these cards do a pretty good job? I don't need it to be able to run games like doom 3 perfectly, just something to eliminate the slowdown I get running most games coming out now.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36798

Refer to my post in that thread about which cards to consider for that price point. On a side note don't get caught up in how much memory the card has on it. 128 mb is plenty of memory. There's almost no (read 99.99999999%) way you're going to need 256 mb for any graphics in any game. They pump up the memory for marketing and the 256 mb memory is usually slower in speed than the 128 ones.

What is your current video card and what is your pricerange?

Newegg.com has a refurb section with great deals on video cards, they restock it once or twice a week. I got mine from there.

I'm interested in the radeon 9600 here

Is this a pretty good card? Some of the games I have are Rome Total War and Sims 2, so I just need them to not be so choppy.

You're better off getting a 9600 pro, or a 9500 pro, believe it or not a 9500 pro is better than a 9600 standard like you linked to

If you look hard enough, you may still be able to find a couple of those Radeon cards with the free Half Life 2 certificate inside the box. I believe that I saw a couple at Circuit City recently

Psst, if you get the 9800 pro, it's overclockable to 9800 xt... that's what I did w/ mine and D00m3 runs like smooth silk.

bread's done
Back