[Canada] The Behind the counter Life.

Estymagic

CAGiversary!
*Temp Removed as i gather some information on confidentialty with my manager*

Leaving this as a place to ask EB non -promo questions for now.

Props to CheapyD, man ur voice is so cool and have a great day

Estymagic your friendly negihborhood EB games minion.

Forgot to Add

Deals:
We "should" know when they start as the all our marketing papers come in it has instrunctions on how to discount it or is it automatically done.

so if were unsure about any deals that may have come up, we were too busy doing inventory or helping customers to know read up on it.

a FRIENDLY reminder would be a step in the right direction.

conversley it isnt true, we never know exactly when promotion ends and if its one that is done automatically through the POS software then we just assume that the deal is over.
Thus when things ends is never really certain as u may get nice managers whom will overide and give u items or nothing at all.

Thus YMMV always on deals.

Stupid question. Are you guys able to take a trade-in for Warhawk if I want to trade it in without the headset? Just the case/disc/manual of course. I'll even bring in that larger box with the SKU to make you all happy... :p

Also, do you know how much NHL 08 and Orange Box for 360 get in trade? I don't expect you to know off hand butI'm kinda curious right now and might not have time to call in tomorrow.

Good post though. I use to work in retail and share much of your feelings.

TIV for something new and not featured is generally about $24-$26 but it can be higher or lower of course.

NHL 08 = 24 as of oct 16th
Orange box = 25 as of oct 16th

but i wont respond for request to know TIV since.. they change too much and they change daily.

Warhawk is a definate yes.. you can keep the blutooth headset if u wish, but please bring the big box as the ps3 case dosnt have a SKU bar code but a "not for resale" image where it should be

[quote name='Estymagic']TIV for something new and not featured is generally about $24-$26 but it can be higher or lower of course.

NHL 08 = 24 as of oct 16th
Orange box = 25 as of oct 16th

but i wont respond for request to know TIV since.. they change too much and they change daily.

Warhawk is a definate yes.. you can keep the blutooth headset if u wish, but please bring the big box as the ps3 case dosnt have a SKU bar code but a "not for resale" image where it should be[/quote]

You rock. How long are featured games on the website updated? I'm sure both NHL 08 and Orange Box will eventually make the list. Maybe even Warhawk. I made the mistake of trading in Metroid Prime 3 last month and it went up by $10 TIV a couple of weeks later so now I keep a much closer eye on the value.

I've been getting M rated games in EBGames since I was 13 with no trouble.

Sometimes they even asked for ID, I said I don't have it and they sold it to me anyways and asked me not to tell that they sold it to me.

Also, you can buy M rated games when you're 17. Like when I bought Saints Row, I simply showed my ID which clearly showed that I'm 1 week away from my 17th birthday and I got the game with no trouble.

Just keep arguing and you'll always get the game :D

[quote name='Rom']I've been getting M rated games in EBGames since I was 13 with no trouble.

Sometimes they even asked for ID, I said I don't have it and they sold it to me anyways and asked me not to tell that they sold it to me.

Also, you can buy M rated games when you're 17. Like when I bought Saints Row, I simply showed my ID which clearly showed that I'm 1 week away from my 17th birthday and I got the game with no trouble.

Just keep arguing and you'll always get the game :D[/quote]

When I was in retail I fired people for doing it. You got lucky but there are plenty of kids who would walk in and whine and bitch about me not selling a rated M game to them. It was really sad to watch. When I was a kid there was no M rating... :p Of course blood didn't really look like blood either.

[quote name='Rom']I've been getting M rated games in EBGames since I was 13 with no trouble.

Just keep arguing and you'll always get the game :D[/quote]

More like u've been extreamly lucky through the years,
ie: people not caring or thier last day on the job.

its been lenient before but now thanks to fanatic Jack thompson the whole North america is on alert and there are secret shoppers ,iv been told, just waiting for moments like that.

hopefully now, ur beyond the age of 17, please set good examples to those younger than you.

if not then, at least concider that ur gonna cost 2 people thier job and possibly a whole lot of thier savings when/if you do something like that.

How did you get your job?
How old do you have to be?
Did the manager make the decision?
Is Eb currently hiring extra people for the Christmas rush???

[quote name='gamer602']How did you get your job?
How old do you have to be?
Did the manager make the decision?
Is Eb currently hiring extra people for the Christmas rush???[/quote]
Continuing that line of questioning, how much does EB pay employees? Not that I'd want a job in retail, that's a nightmare IMO.

couple of random things.

GPGs:
I totally agree that these are worth it. My ps2 got knocked over by my dog and ruined my brand new copy of stella deus and I got a replacement no hassle or anything. The game didn't even look damaged.

Computers at EB games:
Personally I wish they would change their system a bit. I mean the EB I go to didn't even know theres a website with TIVs listed. They just kept telling me it was the American site. Also it may have just been my friend but he told me you need the reciept for warranty info. Yet one can go and check what they reserved with just their phone number. I find this kinda lame and wish they had access to that on comps.

Overall I like EB and my good experiences there far outweigh the bad ones.

i was kinda hired on the spot the day before halo day. i knew the the ASM on a friendly basis and it just so happend the manager was working. we chatted up for a bit and i enquried about working for this place.

he gave the decision to the ASM and i was hired.

job age is 16 min like th rest of canada.

Knowlage of video games helps but dosnt help u get the job
u need to be sales orentied, thus how well can u sell used games and the warrenties more so than helping a customer is more important.
also important to have ultra patience

pays is minium wage if ur a minion like me (8 here in BC) ASM i think makes about 12 at least i know my ASM does. and managers i'm not sure of.

[quote name='Estymagic']
pays is minium wage if ur a minion like me (8 here in BC) ASM i think makes about 12 at least i know my ASM does. and managers i'm not sure of.[/quote]

Wow remind me not to work at EB. I get paid $10/hr an hour as a cashier where I work.

Also with the whole M rated games. It even says on the box 17+ meaning you must be 17 or older to purchase the game. You do not need to be 18 to purchase an M rated game you need to be seventeen. You need to be 18 to purchase an AO game which is rated 18+ thus meaning you need to be 18 or older. I wish some of the dumbfucks around where I live could figure this out.

yea i'm definitely not working at EB or any retail places anytime soon, i get $11/hr + tips at my work, oh well at least we have some insider info now, which is always good :lol:

Thank you for the information.
I've notice being very patient, smiling and saying thank you to the employees they really appreciate it. Also if you want or need something done that will take time go when the store is empty. For getting TIV I call a store in my area that usually not busy not the one I may be going to. If they are busy I call back at a later time.
I only ask for deals when I know 100% the deal is confirmed and the info is in their emails. It's no use asking for something they have no idea what I'm talking about.

One question. If I really like the customer service I get from the certain employees what should I say to the managers to make sure they know.

[quote name='Estymagic']i was kinda hired on the spot the day before halo day. i knew the the ASM on a friendly basis and it just so happend the manager was working. we chatted up for a bit and i enquried about working for this place.

he gave the decision to the ASM and i was hired.

job age is 16 min like th rest of canada.

Knowlage of video games helps but dosnt help u get the job
u need to be sales orentied, thus how well can u sell used games and the warrenties more so than helping a customer is more important.
also important to have ultra patience

pays is minium wage if ur a minion like me (8 here in BC) ASM i think makes about 12 at least i know my ASM does. and managers i'm not sure of.[/quote]

Does EBGames actively encourage incorrect spelling?

Regardless, having worked in game retail many moons ago, I was aware of all this, but I still find it utterly inconceivable that the retail outlets have no idea on when stock is shipping to them.

Managers make around 20 dollars per hour (I was told this while I was co-oping there two years ago), that's why the company perfer to not have the manager working on holidays. They also work only at certain hours (like everyday starting shift) and the days they're required (weekends paperwork).

[quote name='hilld']Does EBGames actively encourage incorrect spelling?

Regardless, having worked in game retail many moons ago, I was aware of all this, but I still find it utterly inconceivable that the retail outlets have no idea on when stock is shipping to them.[/quote]

haha i knew someone would pickup on my horrible spelling,
ever have one of those essays that once u write u cant stop writing and u dont check if what u write is correct, writing that first post was sorta like that.

[quote name='hilld']Does EBGames actively encourage incorrect spelling?

Regardless, having worked in game retail many moons ago, I was aware of all this, but I still find it utterly inconceivable that the retail outlets have no idea on when stock is shipping to them.[/quote]

You usually know the ship date but knowing exactly when something is going to arrive is hardly unusual. They can't be faulted for a slow shipping day or if product arrives a day late.

The shipping system that video games have been going by for years is simple. Game has a ship date which is usually posted on EBs website i.e. October 25th. The publisher ships the game that day and it arrives at the store later that day or the next day depending on your distance from the distribution centre.

Some Poplar titles like Halo 3 or Bioshock are given specific street dates. Games will usually ship a week before and the store will be required to hold the stock in the back until the date the game is released.

Hey that's some great info.

You mentioned that the inventory system isn't that great. What's the best way for me to find some rare used games: call them up or go and hunt around? Does each store know the inventory of other stores?

Do employees get staff discounts on games? I won't mind working there: seems enjoyable and I don't need the money.

Just a question:

[quote name='Estymagic']5)ID checks
We are requried by law and our company policy to ID anyone whom uses a credit card for any purchess.[/quote]
What law mandates photo ID with a credit card purchase?

Just asking because I hear "It's the law" used as an excuse for many customer-unfriendly policies (eg. returning opened games). So I'm curious as to what particular statute mandates photo ID with credit card purchase.

Here's a hint:
there isn't one.

Otherwise, forgive the snark (it's one of my pet peeves) and enjoy the wonderful world of retail!

[quote name='Lone_Prodigy']Hey that's some great info.

You mentioned that the inventory system isn't that great. What's the best way for me to find some rare used games: call them up or go and hunt around? Does each store know the inventory of other stores?
[/quote]
Usually, if they are not busy, and the employees don't act like they have something up their arses, they will be willing to help you search every bin or shelf for a game that you are looking for.

Some employee I asked found the original Burnout for the Xbox in one of the bins.

Off-Topic: The game was $14.99 and in very good condition (case, manual, art, cd). Should I buy it, just for collection purposes? Anyone know just how rare Burnout 1 is?

[quote name='Fanboy']Just a question:

Just asking because I hear "It's the law" used as an excuse for many customer-unfriendly policies (eg. returning opened games). So I'm curious as to what particular statute mandates photo ID with credit card purchase.

Here's a hint:
there isn't one.

Otherwise, forgive the snark (it's one of my pet peeves) and enjoy the wonderful world of retail![/quote]

Well if its not a law, then its gotta be a store policy, they grilled it into me on my first day of the job so its second nature now >.

[quote name='Fanboy']Just a question:

Here's a hint:
there isn't one.

Otherwise, forgive the snark (it's one of my pet peeves) and enjoy the wonderful world of retail![/quote]

While there isn't a law, retailers will ask for ID on a credit card purchase if the signature on the back of the card does not match the one that you use on the receipt. They have every right to refuse sale to you if you don't produce ID but there is no law.

As for not allowing the return of opened games, I see no problem with that. You would have scores of pirates taking home crap, copying it and then returning it to the store.

You call them "customer unfriendly policies" but they are in place for a reason and while they may be troublesome, they do protect the retailer from being cheated. There is nothing wrong with that.

here's a tip from my time at EB Games: don't mention posting on CAG there. the higher-ups tend to dislike this site, especially when folks spread new ways to take unfair advantage of deals :)

hey Estymagic, when i go to my EB games stores, i see them with big boxes of pre-played games getting sorted out. Are those boxes of used games from the head office or just from trade ins from customers?

[quote name='jonkaho']hey Estymagic, when i go to my EB games stores, i see them with big boxes of pre-played games getting sorted out. Are those boxes of used games from the head office or just from trade ins from customers?[/quote]

yups those are games that customers have traded in as well as possible from head office
were technically suppose to hold all games traded in for a 30 day period incase it is stolen property and the police can come and claim it (BC bylaw)

Hence it becomes very very very difficult to organize games when
1) ur drawers are completly full of maddens, nhl, nba or... sports games
(M section of PS2 has 40 madden discs, when the whole section is about 200 something games.)
2) your city has a Game studio (ie EA) that gives its employee's games that can be traded in ( ie C&C when it was $44)

There just isnt enough room for all the games to be sorted out in a neat orderly manner.

[quote name='Kekumba']Do you employees take them cardboard cut-out advertisements home, or what? :D[/quote]

Those are "supposed" to be destroyed as my manager puts it.

But the reality of it, once marketing is done with it its fair game what we do with it.

If my Manager is feeling good he may let things go, but normally its GARBAGE NOW!.

I actully was able to take him the metroid prime 3 cardboard cutout before i was employed. I just asked the ASM and he had it stashed for me ^_^

but its gonna be YMMV, expect to be dissapointed more often than you get it.

[quote name='Estymagic']
GPGs: ($2 for used/ 3$ for new)
I personally concider the idea novel. In the event your game dosnt work we'll replace it with another one.

"Dosnt work" in this case means all physical damages, so scratches, washing machine, fires or my personally favorate, stabbing it with a knife.

[/quote]

but what if it's burned in a fire beyond all recognition? :lol:

[quote name='Caro']but what if it's burned in a fire beyond all recognition? :lol:[/quote]
You still have the ashes.

"Ah yes, and you see that speck of dust? Well that was part of the inner ring with the hologram".

Side Note: Is Burnout (the original, #1 of the series) for 14.99 a good deal?

Hmm. For starters. Half the stuff you listed is confidential, including giving out how much you make. Second, your idea of how our ESA works is wrong. You DO NOT get another new system, you get another working system (refurb) and if someone does not have a HDMI system they sure as hell do not get one.

Not smart posting all this and not a good way to keep your job.

give the guy a break, he said he didn't sign any NDA's so its fair game, on top of that hes fairly new to the job and no one told him he couldn't do otherwise, i would give him the benefit of the doubt

I'm guessing it wasn't a smart idea for the OP to release all that info about how EB Games is run...I heard stories on CAG, not in the Canada Forum necessarily that corporate people from Target, Walmart, BB and possibly Futureshop do lurk in CAG, as they probably want to weed out anybody giving out deals early.

He signed an NDA it is in his new hire folder. If he did not then himself and the manager are in some trouble as it is mailed to HO.

Also I know for a fact that EB reads all of this.
I can also tell with him talking about the 30 holds on trades that he is in one of four stores in BC.

I bet very few employees where hired just before halo day in those store.

[quote name='Ranzo']Hmm. For starters. Half the stuff you listed is confidential, including giving out how much you make. Second, your idea of how our ESA works is wrong. You DO NOT get another new system, you get another working system (refurb) and if someone does not have a HDMI system they sure as hell do not get one.

Not smart posting all this and not a good way to keep your job.[/quote]

I got a brand new system.

By doing the exact trick he said?
[quote name='Ranzo']He signed an NDA it is in his new hire folder. If he did not then himself and the manager are in some trouble as it is mailed to HO.

I can also tell with him talking about the 30 holds on trades that he is in one of four stores in BC.

I bet very few employees where hired just before halo day in those store.[/quote]
What would be the worst scenario outcome of this? That they get fired?

[quote name='thelostdude']By doing the exact trick he said?

What would be the worst scenario outcome of this? That they get fired?[/quote]

I think the thread should be deleted and that person should think twice about posting some things. It is not all bad but I can pick out 5 or more topics he talked about being just plan wrong or private.

[quote name='Ranzo']He signed an NDA it is in his new hire folder. If he did not then himself and the manager are in some trouble as it is mailed to HO.

I bet very few employees where hired just before halo day in those store.[/quote]
Well Ranzo, I take it you work for EB or have worked for EB at some point?

But you do bring up a good point on on confidentiality, so this thread will be delted in about 1.5 days time.

Well, at this point in time i have yet to sign any forms anything that remotley has a Non disclosure on it. thus if there was any forms to sign, my manager as just forged my sig -o-.

also I'v been asking my manager about some kinda employee's handbook as so i can know exactly how things should be done. But i have yet to recive one so I'm just doing it as i see others are doing it which.. may not be the correct way.

but you may be right, I'll edit the parts of the getting a new 360 out, sounds like I'm promoting it

also, its highly unlikley that i can ever release a deal early as there just isnt enough time in a day to do all that sorting, helping customers to read through everything that marketing wants us to do.

cheers

His wage is not exactly confidential information. Any store management will tell anyone applying for a sales associate job that you get paid minimum wage.

As for the rest of the information he posted, a lot of it is true but mis-leading. Especially the stuff about the warranties. That's just a case of this employee not doing his job properly. All system warranties are for refurb replacements only and have been for quite some time now.

Regardless, he most likely did sign an NDA (like Ranzo says it is part of the standard new hire paperwork), and shouldn't be posting stuff like that here.

[quote name='batman_hl']His wage is not exactly confidential information. Any store management will tell anyone applying for a sales associate job that you get paid minimum wage.
[/quote]

Any manager at EB that states minimum wage is wrong. They should look into it better or they are just lazy.

wtf???? (it might not have been you directly but wtf!) A kid leaves three games in his case, and you didnt do anything? thats an outrage. I am seriously telling them off the next time they ask me for my id. wtf? you are supposedto take id for the trade, so you know d a r n well who this kid was. And

anyways soo many secrets to eb. and They lurk on here??? thats why everyone has been butt(@#$$#) the eb games deals for over a year now. lol. whats they big deal, like we didnt know about them holding on to big name games like halo a few days before. Its not like he gave the secret away, that they buy the rare games)all games actually) from you for peanuts. ooops.lol. all in good fun. I am glad to have someone who works at eb on this site that is ACTUALLY gonna post up deals for others to use. Its not like they send out flyers to your house. word of mouth is what they are all about. So this guy is doing wrong by promoting his work outside of work? Now if I went talking about my job then thats not cool. If they really didnt want you talking about stuff(important exclusive sale stuff excluded from this) they would tell you. Otherwise if this guy gets in trouble, he can just say no one told me not to. and trust me if a company has a hush hush attitude, they WILL make you personally informed, and make you personally sign some form. and then drill it into your head a few times. otherwise, he just plays dumb, and its all good.

So anyways, to the OP, glad to see you join. try not to tell to many wannabe lurkers.

[quote name='daphatty']Why do I get the feeling Ranzo is an EB/GS store manager?[/quote]

because I am slightly smarter, only slightly.

bread's done
Back