The (old) GameRush/Blockbuster Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Gamerush/Blockbuster video game deal thread.

First and foremost, please check out the
GameRush Trade-In Prices Wiki.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos and to post any trade-in values you have obtained. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system. One of the CAG Wiki editors will then add them to the Wiki.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Gamerush/Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals, of which there are none currently).

Due to the questionable stability of the Gamerush brand, it is also permissible to discuss ways of converting credit from Blockbuster to other stores (ie, which games may be used for trading in to other stores such as Gamecrazy or EB/GS). As of right now, we have no indication of Gamerush's imminent demise, but given Blockbuster's ongoing financial difficulties we need to be aware of the possibility.

What is this thread NOT for?
There will be absolutely NO DISCUSSION of the recent doctored coupon. Do not discuss what you bought, what you traded it for, or anything else - all such posts will be deleted. Any discussion of that should be done here.

Also, it is bad form to discuss the flipping of games from one Gamerush store to another should another such opportunity arrive (through trade-in deals which we haven't had recently anyway). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (GR to GC to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from GR.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

General Info
- Trade-in credit can be placed onto your store account or onto a "Value" card
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- However, credit can be transferred from the store account to a card at any time
- Value cards can be used at any location
- Gamerush stores often do not get new game stock until the Friday of the release week, thus a few days later than most retailers

Gamerush vs. regular Blockbusters
All Blockbuster game-related discussion belongs here. Most threads created in the Deals forum will be merged in to here. There seems to be the impression by many CAGs that if they don't have a Gamerush store near them then this thread does not apply to them. However, regular (non-GR) Blockbuster stores often run the same promos and generally have the same trade-in values.

The key differences:
- Only Gamerush stores sell new and used video game hardware, with the exception of the occasional new controller/memory card spotted at regular stores. (Edit - Some recent exceptions have cropped up: many regular BB stores had a PS3 bundle available over Christmas and a few stores have been reported to sell DS Lites).

- Only Gamerush stores allow for preorders of new games (though, it seems, many of those have even stopped taking preorders).

- While many Gamerush stores have cut back on their new game stock, some regular (non-GR) Blockbusters have started selling new games. They usually have a very limited selection of top-selling new 360, PS3, and Wii games. I will be maintaining a list below here for those with Blockbuster credit but no access to a GR store.

- Trade-in values are controlled centrally and are uniform across all Gamerush and Blockbuster locations EXCEPT if the Blockbuster is a franchise location. You can tell from the receipt if your store is a franchise store. All Gamerush stores are corporate-owned so they will have uniform pricing.

New games that may be available for purchase at select non-GR Blockbusters
For those with access to only regular Blockbuster stores but wanting to take advantage of the decent trade-in values Blockbuster offers, this is the list of new games being sold by some regular Blockbuster locations. Note that they will generally not get new games on the release date. They will most likely have them a few days to weeks later.

:ds:
Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass

:360:
Bioshock
Blue Dragon
Call of Duty 4
Guitar Hero III
Halo 3
Lego Star Wars TCS
Mass Effect
NBA Live 08
The Orange Box

:ps2:
Guitar Hero III
Spiderman Friend or Foe

:ps3:
80GB PS3 bundle for $600 (PS3, Surf's Up Blu-Ray, HDMI cable, 20-week rental card)
Assassin's Creed
Lego Star Wars TCS
NBA Live 08
Ratchet & Clank Tools of Destruction
Rock Band bundle
Uncharted

:wii:
Guitar Hero III
NBA Live 08
Mario Party 8
Mario Strikers Charged
Super Mario Galaxy

Current Trade-In Deals

There are no trade-in deals at this time. The trade 3 get an extra $5 per game is still in affect at some (very select) locations.

Reported Trade-In Prices

Trade-In Price Wiki

I picked up a new copy of The Orange Box at a local Blockbuster (non-GR) so I think that should be added to the list.

[quote name='edavis0780']I picked up a new copy of The Orange Box at a local Blockbuster (non-GR) so I think that should be added to the list.[/QUOTE]

Sweet, if I saw that I'd buy it. Unfortunately the one I went to just yesterday did not have it. They had all 3 versions of NBA Live 08 though :roll:. I added it to the OP. This is exactly what I (personally) want to see in this thread, in addition to trade-in prices of course. Now I know it is worth checking out a few regular stores when I'm out and about (and making sure I have my Value card with me at the time).

[quote name='io']Sweet, if I saw that I'd buy it. Unfortunately the one I went to just yesterday did not have it. They had all 3 versions of NBA Live 08 though :roll:. I added it to the OP. This is exactly what I (personally) want to see in this thread, in addition to trade-in prices of course. Now I know it is worth checking out a few regular stores when I'm out and about (and making sure I have my Value card with me at the time).[/quote]

The only bad thing is that I had to actually use my credit card to pay for about half since they kept telling me that my gift card had no credit on it. I go to the BB I last used the card and they tell me that I still have $50 on it......:bomb:

I don't know if it was a simple mistake or if the cashier was just being an asshole.

If you're keeping track of what new games stores carry, our store got in a copy of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (DS). Although I'm not too sure why. We haver NEVER carried DS games for rent or sale before. Nonetheless, I quickly bought it up with my discount. Hopefully the quick sale will lead to more DS games in the future. Stores should also have PGR4 (360). I'll do my best to start informing everyone of the weekly price drops (no promises though).

edit: Game Pass info- There should also be a 2 at a time game pass for 3?.99. I forget the actual price but I believe it is 31.99.

[quote name='edavis0780']The only bad thing is that I had to actually use my credit card to pay for about half since they kept telling me that my gift card had no credit on it. I go to the BB I last used the card and they tell me that I still have $50 on it......:bomb:

I don't know if it was a simple mistake or if the cashier was just being an asshole.[/quote]

Certain BB giftcards are really stupid like that. The majority work good, but there's one type in particular that when you check the balance by sliding the card or scanning the barcode will say no balance (or not activated), but if they manually type in the giftcard #, it'll work just fine. I really hate those GC's. :bomb:

I'm going to trade in a big haul later today- I'll let you all know what they give.

Oh, and I request the new thread to say "The GameRush/Blockbuster Thread: Post-Mortem" because it sounds funny.

FINALLY found a Wii at the last Gamerush I tried today. I called and asked if they got a Wii in and she says nope but we have had one in the back for a while now actually... ~Keep in mind this is the same store that told me saturday afternoon that they had one so that evening I made the 25 minute drive to be greated with 2 employees saying they sold it a few days ago and they have no Wii~ I ask her to please go physically look for it and told her why and she laughed and went and found it and held it till I got there. Turns out one of the people who told me they didn't have a Wii that night was a store manager..... Keep up the good work ya jackass! :D

About to break my Wii cherry can't wait! Wii60 :D

traded in today:
Ninja Gaiden Sigma PS3- $36
Bioshock 360 - $30
Madden 08 360 - $ 35

In response to $hady's question that I accidentally deleted:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

What I was trying to do was quote your question about where the coupon thread was and then say the following, but I somehow deleted your post in the process. Not intended!

What I was trying to say in response:

I was going to let someone else do it (make a coupon ramifications discussion thread) as I don't want to have anything to do with it. Anyone having issues with what happened should make a thread in the Deal/Shopping Discussions & Bragging Rights forum about it. If and when that happens, I will put a link here and at the end of the old thread.

[quote name='$hady']FINALLY found a Wii at the last Gamerush I tried today. I called and asked if they got a Wii in and she says nope but we have had one in the back for a while now actually... ~Keep in mind this is the same store that told me saturday afternoon that they had one so that evening I made the 25 minute drive to be greated with 2 employees saying they sold it a few days ago and they have no Wii~ I ask her to please go physically look for it and told her why and she laughed and went and found it and held it till I got there. Turns out one of the people who told me they didn't have a Wii that night was a store manager..... Keep up the good work ya jackass! :D

About to break my Wii cherry can't wait! Wii60 :D

traded in today:
Ninja Gaiden Sigma PS3- $36
Bioshock 360 - $30
Madden 08 360 - $ 35[/quote]

Congrats! :applause:

[quote name='io']In response to $hady's question that I accidentally deleted:
[/quote]
UNJUST CENSORSHIP! lol joking it's all good! :lol:

Thanks for clearing up my question I thought I was blind and couldn't find it. :cool:

PS3 (from board)
Lair - 36
Heavenly Sword - 36

[quote name='Chitown021']Excellent job io. Are all the mods called Thread Guides now?[/QUOTE]

No. We're more like sub-mods. We being Sp00ge, EvilMax17, me (all in VG Deals), and Foladar (in Referral Central). Expect more to be announced sooner or later, particularly in the system forums.

But the uber-mods still retain their status. I can only mess with stuff in the Deals forum. The uber-mods have free reign ;).

In any case, to stay on topic, I will update all those prices from djkunai in a minute.

anyone kno the trade in value for stranglehold?
if i cant straight up trade it for blue dragon i wanna at least get something for it towards blue dragon :cold:

[quote name='$hady']UNJUST CENSORSHIP! lol joking it's all good! :lol:[/quote]In all fairness to io, with his newfound abilities, there are additional features and where the
quote.gif
button was, there's an
edit.gif
button now. It can take some time to get used to.

And very nice, io. Shipshape one might say.

...oh gad, that was horrible.

[quote name='guinaevere']In all fairness to io, with his newfound abilities, there are additional features and where the
quote.gif
button was, there's an
edit.gif
button now. It can take some time to get used to.

[/quote]

Egads, you are right. I hadn't even noticed that. I was trying to quote him and instead I edited him... I knew I did that but didn't notice the buttons were shifted like that. Nice catch!

[quote name='guinaevere']
And very nice, io. Shipshape one might say.

...oh gad, that was horrible.[/QUOTE]

Ouch...

I'll probably be in this thread a little more than I have before seeing as I -just- realized there was a GameRush store within 15 minutes of me. I had no idea.

Picked up LOTR - BFME (360) used for $6.99 today at a regular Blockbuster. Liked the demo for it a long time ago, and $7 seems like a great price for an underrated time-waster.

[quote name='JJSP']I'll probably be in this thread a little more than I have before seeing as I -just- realized there was a GameRush store within 15 minutes of me. I had no idea.

Picked up LOTR - BFME (360) used for $6.99 today at a regular Blockbuster. Liked the demo for it a long time ago, and $7 seems like a great price for an underrated time-waster.[/quote]Good deal LOTH:BFME2 is a great game. In fact I enjoyed it more than C&C3 on my 360.

[quote name='Warner1281']If you're keeping track of what new games stores carry, our store got in a copy of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (DS).[/QUOTE]
My local non-GR also had at least one copy of Hourglass. They also had Spider-Man: Friend or Foe for most platforms (not sure if it is 'all', since I didn't know which ones I should have looked for).

Somewhat unrelated, over the weekend I picked up a Simpson's Etch-a-Sketch on clearance for $7.50 for my brother-in-law.

Anyone have any idea if the stores with Gamerushes will be getting copies of Beautiful Katamari? I have a couple by me and it seems that none of them got any more than one copy of The Orange Box per store and I'm sure Katamari is getting a less wide release than that. I'm trying to decide if I want to pick it up at Fry's or wait and hope to burn a little Gamerush credit on it.

[quote name='maxfisher']Anyone have any idea if the stores with Gamerushes will be getting copies of Beautiful Katamari? I have a couple by me and it seems that none of them got any more than one copy of The Orange Box per store and I'm sure Katamari is getting a less wide release than that. I'm trying to decide if I want to pick it up at Fry's or wait and hope to burn a little Gamerush credit on it.[/QUOTE]

When my GR was around I would not have counted on them getting it, but who knows - some people seem to have competant GR stores. But what you could do is buy it now at Fry's and if it comes in to GR in the next week or so pick up another copy and return the sealed one to Fry's. Also, they ought to be able to tell you at GR if they even have copies on order (for sale as opposed to rent). If not, no need to bother with them. If they DO have them on order, it doesn't mean they will get them, but it's a start.

I now have a preorder in for Rock Band though they quoted me $60 on the price. Hopefully they get some bundles in. Otherwise I may be looking at picking up my preorder for the game only next year.

Rumors on some other forums from BB employees is that...get this...Blockbuster will soon be adding some "coffee bars" to stores as a way to get customers into the store more often.

[quote name='GizmoGC']Rumors on some other forums from BB employees is that...get this...Blockbuster will soon be adding some "coffee bars" to stores as a way to get customers into the store more often.[/quote]

Unless that coffee bar is Starbucks it ain't gonna work.

[quote name='Chitown021']Unless that coffee bar is Starbucks it ain't gonna work.[/quote]

Starbucks is overrated swill at best, now Dunkin Donuts coffee(if freshly brewed) is great. I had SB coffee maybe one time in my life, lucky for me it was on a trial coupon so I didn't pay crap for it cause the prices are fuckin ridiculous.

Oh and IO, great work on the new thread and congrats on becoming a forum guide. I'd have asked for the power, but then I'd be editing any PRO-GS or CC comments to read that they blow. LOL

[quote name='Otherguy676']Is $7 for LOTR BOME the normal price or is it a mistake? If it is normal, I am buying one ASAP![/QUOTE]
Story-time.

I bought the game at $7. Unfortunately, it's scratched beyond belief and doesn't work. I tried to exchange it, but they didn't have any more and $7 was a price mistake (according to the girl, someone switched the stickers). The stickers correspond to LOTR - Two Kings (XBOX).

Moral of the story - they're not $7. They're actually $19.99 used, and though I almost had a great deal, a scratched disc ruined it. At least I got the $7 back.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Starbucks is overrated swill at best, now Dunkin Donuts coffee(if freshly brewed) is great. I had SB coffee maybe one time in my life, lucky for me it was on a trial coupon so I didn't pay crap for it cause the prices are fuckin ridiculous.
[/quote]

I wasn't commenting on the quality of Starbucks products, (I don't drink coffee myself) I'm just saying from a business standpoint it would need to be a major brand connected to BB if they're hoping to draw customers.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Starbucks is overrated swill at best, now Dunkin Donuts coffee(if freshly brewed) is great. I had SB coffee maybe one time in my life, lucky for me it was on a trial coupon so I didn't pay crap for it cause the prices are fuckin ridiculous.

Oh and IO, great work on the new thread and congrats on becoming a forum guide. I'd have asked for the power, but then I'd be editing any PRO-GS or CC comments to read that they blow. LOL[/QUOTE]

I find it amusing that you are basing your argument on ONE free cup of coffee....but yes, let's keeep this to GameRush/blockbuster deals only.

So anyone know what (gulp!) Hour of Victory for the 360 is getting these days, or at least cought what they're selling it used for?

[quote name='nietzsche74']So anyone know what (gulp!) Hour of Victory for the 360 is getting these days, or at least cought what they're selling it used for?[/QUOTE]

Hour of Victory is the WORSE XBOX360 game ever made & it not worth $10.

[quote name='Masterkyo']Hour of Victory is the WORSE XBOX360 game ever made & it not worth $10.[/QUOTE]
Probably why they want to trade it in?

In any case, I was calling one anyway, and they quoted me $35 for :360: Hour of Victory.

Also, the :360: Godfather game is supposedly $25. That is the second store to quote that price, but it seems pretty high to me. It's on the clearance schedule at Target. I will likely try to trade it in this weekend to confirm.

[quote name='JJSP']Any idea how much Wartech (360) gets? It's $10 at EB this week.[/QUOTE]
I was quoted $15 on Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back