Cag FOREPLAY complaints

mm07

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I was just listening to the CAG foreplay and had to turn it off.
I post this in anger!!

My god I hate when women nag that we are buying too many video games.
I have heard enough of that my whole life from girlfriends and even my wife occasionally.

I don't need to listen to it on a podcast that I'm listening to so I can learn WHAT FREAKIN GAMES I SHOULD BUY..
no instead I hear "You are buying too many games, I can't build a house out of xbox games"
And this is not the first time I've heard similar complaining on this podcast.

G-O-D!! SHUT-UP!
No more CAG foreplay for me.

P.s. I managed to turn my love of video games and computers into a successful 6 figure a year System Administrator job.
So let us buy our damn games, you sure as hell are gonna come running to us when the pilot and co-pilot on the plane you are in drop dead and they need someone to land the damn thing!
And don't forget about the zombie apocalypse! We'll be ready for that one too.

/vent
-Mike

Kenan Thompson is a prodigy. Everytime I go to a concert I hope their lead guitar somehow can't perform and I will jump on stage to truly become a guitar hero.

Wow, issues ;).

I'm actually quite jealous of Ship - he's got a wife who cares one whit about his gaming hobby. Mine doesn't bother me about the amount of games I buy (which is staggering) as it is my own hobby and she doesn't care. But that's the problem - she doesn't care one way or the other and has no interest in playing them even though I've tried to get her started with all the usual suspects (Cooking Mama, Phoenix Wright, etc). I'd take her getting on my case over the number I have if it meant she knew anything about them and also played them with me.

Then don't listen? I happen to love the shipwrecks and think the Mrs is very supportive and Mr knows when enough is enough.

Maybe all your past girlfriends complained too much because you didn't acknowledge them as much as your games. Which means you just aren't ready for commitment. Of course this is just all speculation, since i do not even know your personal life.

But either way, if you don't care for it, then don't listen, but i happen to love the way the shipwrecks interact and i don't think Mrs is out of line. Its not like she was flipping out or anything. As a couple, one of their goals is to move out of their apartment at some point in ther lives, and buying every single xbox game to have in a complete collection is a little crazy in my opinion lol. But whatever you like.

As a man married to an EXTREME non-gamer (the kids couldn't even get her to give the Wii a try), I too take issue with the OP. Even though I am the sole earner in the family, I buy video games with "my own money" (read--I have an allowance, a decent amount, but still--an allowance). My wife still makes comments about the money I spend on VGs. (Don't get her started on the H3 Legendary helmet sitting on the mantle over our fireplace.) I think Mrs. S's comments can't be taken out of context. She is a a GAMER, folks.

I can understand Mrs. Shipwreck's feelings. I feel the same way about my fiance. It's not the quantity really, it's the fact that there are plenty of unplayed games on our shelf. If he would just hold off buying new games we could get them when he is ready to play them for probably 20 dollars cheaper.

[quote name='Kromax'] (Don't get her started on the H3 Legendary helmet sitting on the mantle over our fireplace.) [/quote]

Classy.

my wife is about a 10% gamer..she loves frogger, Pacman, Animal Crossing, Guitar Hero 2, and Big Brain Academy.. that is about it... she sometimes grills me on gaming, but I can deal with it...

[quote name='mm07']I was just listening to the CAG foreplay and had to turn it off.
I post this in anger!!

I have heard enough of that my whole life from girlfriends and even my wife occasionally.

I don't need to listen to it on a podcast that I'm listening to so I can learn WHAT FREAKIN GAMES I SHOULD BUY..
no instead I hear "You are buying too many games, I can't build a house out of xbox games"

G-O-D!! SHUT-UP!

P.s. I managed to turn my love of video games and computers into a successful 6 figure a year System Administrator job.
So let us buy our damn games, you sure as hell are gonna come running to us when the pilot and co-pilot on the plane you are in drop dead and they need someone to land the damn thing!

/vent
-Mike[/QUOTE]

Not to try and sound like Dr. Freud, but it sounds like you have some deep-rooted issues of your own that need to be dealt with.

I don't think there any problem with Mrs. Shipwreck grilling her husband about his game playing/purchasing habits. You don't think that Shipwreck talked about purchasing A LOT of games since the last show? Its not so much a matter of how much it costs, it's just how many of those titles are going to actually be PLAYED vs. how many will sit on the shelf and collect dust?

I think, good sir, that Shipwreck is lucky enough to have a wife who is supportive of his hobby. In a two-bedroom apartment, his huge gaming collection has got to be a bit of an eye sore to friends and family who are non-gamers when they come over to visit.

That's great that you somehow turned your love of gaming into a 6-figure sys admin job -- although I don't understand the correlation there at all, and maybe buying several games a week is normal business for you, but can you actually play and finish them before you lose interest or the next good game comes out and you pick that one up and forget about the ones you've already purchased. I just think she's trying to be smart about what actually needs to be purchased versus what is getting purchased.

My girlfriend buys me games sometimes and for my b-day she bought me a vizio hdtv. not all of them are usless. And i am soooo ready for the Zombie apocalypse.

I can actually thank CAG somewhat for helping make my videogame habit nag-free. My wife knows that I get great deals on games and often make most if not all of the cost back by selling games after I finish them. I can stretch a gift card a looong way. :) Like most married gamers, I occasionally get chastised for focusing more on games than my wife, but that can easily be avoided with a little pre-emptive work... go ahead and do the dishes before gaming, go out of the way to pay more attention to her when you realize you've been in a "gamer's haze" for a while, etc. But I never hear a word about actual purchases... in fact, I'm more likely to hear my wife relate to someone else how i'm "really good" about how I spend on games. Thanks, CAG!

BTW, more on-topic, I have no problem with Mrs. Ship! I'm just impressed that she can hang in there in a conversation about games and even make reference to other games when doing so. I really can't do that with my wife. I have to go out of my way to get mine interested (I'd love her to play through portal). However, there are some games we enjoy together... for instance, she loved Animal Crossing, and we played Indigo Prophecy and Earthbound together. She is very excited for the Mother 3 fan translation to be finished. :)

Yeah dude, not to sound like everyone else on this thread, but I would have to say that Mrs. S is plenty patient with Mr. S, and that your response has more to do with your own problems then the Shipwrecks. I mean the whole exchange lasted like 30 seconds. The spousal chemistry is the reason I like the show, if anything bugs me, its the jarring bumpers.

To address so me of the general consenus in this post.

You're right, Mrs S. does not complain alot for an average wife, and seems pretty supportive of her husband's gaming compared to many other members of the fairer sex.

However!!!
I argue that she DOES complain alot for someone who co-host's a podcast about what new games are coming out!!!

My point is.... ALL women complain about gaming purchases.. ALL OF THEM..
Even one who co-hosts a podcast can't even restrain herself for a 30 minute show!!! I wonder how much more complaining there is when not on the air?
I just find it ironic, is all...

Thank you all for your concern,
I will be sure and seek help for my deep rooted transferrence issues, once I finish Halo 3, FF XII, and Stranglehold..

"Zo... tell me about yur mozer..."

"Sniff..sniff.. When I wouldn't clean my room....sniff...she used to beat me with a sock filled with Colecovision LadyBug cartridges."

-Mike

Actually, I have to agree. I stopped listening to CAG Foreplay after I got tired of Mrs. Shipwreck's incessant griping. Episode after episode after episode...

That, and the mouse updates. The whole thing just bored me to death.

On a somewhat related tangent, I was in Osaka with my now ex-girlfriend a few months ago and I saw an incredibly hard to find plush Mr. Saturn (from Earthbound) for 3,600 yen (about $30-35). As I went to bust out my wallet, she got all naggy and started saying "I can't believe you want to pay so much money for that! You're crazy! You should save your money! blah blah blah!" So I gave into her pressure and passed on it. :(

I was back in Osaka last weekend with every intention of buying the Mr. Saturn plush, but lo and behold, its gone forever. :cry:

*sigh*

Ha, my girlfriend couldn't play anything past Pac-Man at first. "You mean you have to move more than one thing at a time?" was what she asked when playing simple things like Mario Bros. She also had a hard time with Pac-Man.

Yet once she saw me playing the first Guitar Hero she wanted a shot at it. After a couple songs she really got into it. I was shocked. How did she go from screwing up Mario Bros. to being pretty good at Guitar Hero? She even bought the 2nd one for me for x-mas along with the wireless guitar the next month for my b-day.

I'm hoping for GH3 this year!

[quote name='PawnTakesKing']Actually, I have to agree. I stopped listening to CAG Foreplay after I got tired of Mrs. Shipwreck's incessant griping. Episode after episode after episode...

That, and the mouse updates. The whole thing just bored me to death.[/QUOTE]

I'm in this boat as well, I couldn't keep listening to her nagging. The last show I heard I yelled out "SACK UP MAN"!!! I then Undugg their podcast, left a bad Itunes review and deleted them from my podcast.

I just have to throw in a /cheer for the CAG Foreplay. I think the purchasing habits of shipwreck and the husband-wife dynamic makes this show interesting.

I have recently slimmed up my podcast subscriptions, but I was very happy to keep the CAG Foreplay in rotation. I get a weekly update on what is out each week and it gets delivered by two great personalities.

If you take out the personal updates and the playful banter of a married couple you would just be left with a new release list that would read like 30 other generic podcasts out there. The shipwrecks are doing something different, and they are doin' it well.

My take on the Cag Foreplay podcast.....it sucks. Now, that was the blunt, reader's digest version of it.

Honestly, sometimes Mrs. Shipwreck can be annoying, at least that's what I thought when I listened to the single podcast I heard, which maybe I should give it a second chance since that was just the first or second episode.

As a podcast, it's not that great, but on the flip side of that. I would like to have a wife like Mrs. Shipwreck. My girlfriend now, doesn't mind me buying games or say anything about it, but she surely doesn't know about them, play them with me or anything else. So, to have someone that does that with you and is actually interested in games is great, but that doesn't mean that it'd be great to talk about it in podcast form.

But so I'm not just bashing you. From what I've read in the forums, both of you seem to be cool and very lucky to have found one another. I lurk about 30 or so threads for every one I post in, so I probably know more about you than you'd think I'd know. I'm qualified to make that comment. :D

i still like Foreplay, but the Mrs does worse than just complain, she whines in a whiney voice...she is sometimes funny though, but not when she is whining , which she does, shes a whiner...and its very very annoying...

go back and listen to the first Foreplay...her attitude and the way she talks is way more low key and easier to listen to...

I've been listening to more than a few podcasts and the complaining and whining is definitely getting worse. That stuff has no place in a podcast about new games.
Do the people on a cooking show complain about buying pots and pans?

Wait, I just got an idea.. If you can't stop the complaining atleast have Mr. Ship fight back.. Maybe its so annoying because he just sits there and takes it.
Sack up man.

Grow up... really...
I understand where Ms. S is coming from when she complains.

She is complaining because he is spending money on crappy games that he will probably never play. Tubs of xbox games? I can't even fill a shelf. That being said, I don't have any problem with his shopping habits, as I am quite the same way. If I see cheap crap, it is still cheap, and I buy it.(And then end up selling to make a negative profit :( )

Maybe he doesn't fight back because there is no method to his madness. Maybe he doesn't fight back because he doesn't have anything to say. My mother is quite the same way. She questions me alot and teases me when I end up buying a game or a few games after just getting another game. However, I don't argue back, because I have nothing to say. Realistically, I could wait and not buy my games in bulk, but I do anyway.

I do have more of a problem with late podcasts though ;)

Just kiddin'. I love the show and can't wait for the next one.

[quote name='Kromax'] As a man married to an EXTREME non-gamer ... (read--I have an allowance, a decent amount, but still--an allowance).
You're married, and have an 'allowance'? Rip open the purse-strings, buy some games, and feel the surge of testosterone and the pride of men who have fought long and hard to control the money!

It's your god-given right to game; are you going to let some woman tell you what to do?!?!

I'll finish this post in a minute- right now my wife is questioning me about a $32.47 purchase at Gamestop ;)

I love the show and think it is fine the way it is.
Shipwreck is lucky to have a wife interested in the same hobby.

I also think Mrs. is playing up the complaining for the show.

I have found myself turning off the podcast every 3 shows or so when I get annoyed of the whining also. I get enough of that from my wife I don't need to hear it from my entertainment.

I don't want to offend anyone because the ships are doing something new and fresh but the nagging and fights would do the cast some good if they were toned down a bit.

It is uncomfortable and is not unlike a couple fighting at a dinner party, it is a buzz kill and you think twice of inviting the couple back next time.

[quote name='AlbinoNinja']eh, i think it's just their shtick. Mrs. Shipwreck plays it up for the camera[/QUOTE]

I can believe it was played up for maybe 2 or 3 episodes, but there's a time when even a running gag becomes annoying.

I'm of the opinion that the incessant whining as of late has been for real, but even if it is "played up," now would be a good time to stop.

pot meet kettle... to all the people complaining.. send me your links to your podcasts..I want to see if you can do it better...

Maybe it's time I finally make a response to this thread. First of all, thank you everyone for your opinions, no matter if they were positive or negative. Secondly, I can see where certain people may find it odd that Mrs. Shipwreck isn't 100% gung-ho on all my video game purchases, but I think we are trying to do something different with our show than the majority of podcasts out there.

We're a site focused on video game shopping, so obviously we care about that and want to have that as a point of emphasis on our show. But we are also a married couple who have to decide what is or isn't a good purchase for our budget. Since I do most of the video game shopping in our relationship, there are going to be times where Mrs. Shipwreck is questioning certain purchases. We're simply not going to be a "Dude-Bro" podcast where we constantly agree about everything.

I think the Mrs. comes off as the bad guy to some of you because she is a voice of reason. She's definitely a gamer, but unlike a lot of us, she wouldn't buy every game out there just because it was cheap. Sure, maybe sometimes we play up the schtick a little too much, but we're just a married couple having a good time talking about video games. We're going to have off shows, or moments that don't fit with what has become the norm for video game podcasts, but we're just stating our opinions.

As far as whether we just suck or not, well that's certainly something we'll have to look into. In fact, we have a team of scientists running extensive tests on that as I write this.

But in the end, we're just trying to offer up some unique content for the CAG community and put something out there that's a little bit different than the hundreds of other podcasts about video games.

I've been somewhat irked by the "whine factor" for a while now, so I'm glad somebody mentioned it. Many of us CAGers are married and don't need to tune in to a game podcast and be reminded that our annoying habit of buying cheap games ad infinitum and never playing them is annoying to our significant other.

I'm sure if there were a shoe podcast hosted by women, they wouldn't want to hear the annoying husband make snide comments on how many pairs of shoes she already owns and never wears.

The main thing is that she IS a gamer, unlike most of our significant others and actually participates with you in your hobby and gives fair analyses of the games she's played. I still enjoy the Foreplay and will continue to listen. It's not really any more irritating that a Wombat's kvetch anyway.

[quote name='DJSteel']no problems here Ship.. the only thing I can think of that can be improved is the volume seems a little low...[/quote]

I agree with this. you should record at a level as high as possible without clipping. We can always turn the volume down.

[quote name='mm07']I was just listening to the CAG foreplay and had to turn it off.
I post this in anger!!

G-O-D!! SHUT-UP!

/vent
-Mike[/QUOTE]

You OWE Mrs. Shipwreck an apology... stop Bitchin and be a man.
Mrs. Shipwreck doesn't nag, she straight! Its not like she's your woman and she' telling you what to do.
[although the way you vicariously mentioned your salary range - which was very out of place here tells me that maybe you wish Mrs Shipwreck was your woman lol - stop hatin on what you can't have!]
I feel sorry for the people who work with you.. damn

[place apology here]

[quote name='stonefry']I agree with this. you should record at a level as high as possible without clipping. We can always turn the volume down.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, we have something in the works to improve on this. For some reason we just can't seem to get it to record very loud, but I think I have a script now that should bump everything up without clipping.

[quote name='DesertEagleXIX'][quote name='Kromax'] As a man married to an EXTREME non-gamer ... (read--I have an allowance, a decent amount, but still--an allowance).
You're married, and have an 'allowance'? Rip open the purse-strings, buy some games, and feel the surge of testosterone and the pride of men who have fought long and hard to control the money!

It's your god-given right to game; are you going to let some woman tell you what to do?!?!

I'll finish this post in a minute- right now my wife is questioning me about a $32.47 purchase at Gamestop ;)

Man, you had me for a sec there. I was about to get all defensive and sh*t.

[quote name='Thomas96']You OWE Mrs. Shipwreck an apology... stop Bitchin and be a man.
Mrs. Shipwreck doesn't nag, she straight! Its not like she's your woman and she' telling you what to do.
[although the way you vicariously mentioned your salary range - which was very out of place here tells me that maybe you wish Mrs Shipwreck was your woman lol - stop hatin on what you can't have!]
I feel sorry for the people who work with you.. damn

[place apology here][/QUOTE]

Ok, ok, you cracked my code. I thought that by crowbaring a mention of my salary into a podcast criticism post, Mrs. Ship would realize how much better I am, and come running ove........Wait.....NO!

I apologise for NOTHING.
And my salary mention was relevant in that incessant video game purchasing and playing has caused me to seek a career in technology, improved my problem solving ability and in some way contributed to my financial success. This translates back to the original theme of the post; "Mrs. Ship is complaining that by buying all these games they will have no money for their future"
If you can't make that correlation, you are too stupid to read these message boards. You owe people of average intelligence and higher an apology.

P.s. Hey don't I work with you?

Demanding an apology for a guys opinion? No thanks, Hitler!

No CAGForeplay for me, but it is a unique take for a videogame podcast.

[quote name='mm07']Ok, ok, you cracked my code. I thought that by crowbaring a mention of my salary into a podcast criticism post, Mrs. Ship would realize how much better I am, and come running ove........Wait.....NO!

I apologise for NOTHING.
And my salary mention was relevant in that incessant video game purchasing and playing has caused me to seek a career in technology, improved my problem solving ability and in some way contributed to my financial success. This translates back to the original theme of the post; "Mrs. Ship is complaining that by buying all these games they will have no money for their future"
If you can't make that correlation, you are too stupid to read these message boards. You owe people of average intelligence and higher an apology.

P.s. Hey don't I work with you?[/QUOTE]

I dont know how true the correlation is between you playing video games and your success. I like video games, I like technology and doing pretty well in computing field, but it has nothing to do with me playing video games, that was just something I enjoy doing. If I was making millions and used to play pogs, does that mean that pogs was the reason for my success? Anyways, video games improving problem solving abilities? Think you're trying to strech the correlation a bit, or did those tomb raider puzzles really help you in your IT job? Or maybe it was duck hunt.

My GF says I spend to much on games.

But then she goes out and buys a 200 dollar purse.

All girls have to to shut the fuck up about our purchases.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']My GF says I spend to much on games.

But then she goes out and buys a 200 dollar purse.

All girls have to to shut the fuck up about our purchases.[/quote]

lmao.. over/under on your relationship might be 2 years..

bread's done
Back