Is anyone here playing Metal Gear Solid for the first time on the Gamecube?

Sea Dragon

CAG Veteran
Hello everyone,

I've never played the original Metal Gear Solid - just the second one (which I thought was incredible) on the PS2.

Is anyone else here playing the first one "for the first time" on the Gamecube with the release of The Twin Snakes?

For those that have THe Twin Snakes, is there anything missing that makes a purchase of the first one advisable? I can get it at the local game crazy for $5 used, so it's not much of an expendture. If the gamecube one is bigger and better in all aspects, I might as well only play that one.

----------
SNES and NES to PC adapters!
http://www.deepdarksea.com

I haven't ever played a second of any MGS games (and I've owned all 3 current systems), but I plan to play The Twin Snakes. I don't think anything is missing, the magazine reviewers didn't mention anything.

every review I've read says that everything in the new version is bigger and better, and that nothing was taken out, just added.

still, i won't know for sure until i get it this weekend, ive played the first one through about 10 times, so if there are any differences I will hopefully notice.

From screenshots I've seen they made Meryl even hotter.

I also read reviews saying the the controls are kind of frustrating because they mapped functions to multiple button combinations. I guess you wouldn't notice though if you've never played the PS1 version. I hope Konami comes to their senses and releases the end-all be-all conversion on XBox.

Wont happen since Silicon Knights was part of the developer by at least 75%-80%.

Plus its not that hard. Start and A do codec, start and B pull a 3d map up.

No big deal start by itself doesnt do anything and the normal "soft reset" that you can do on Nintendo games is excluded from this for good reason.

Great game and much more challenging

[quote name='Snake2715']
the craptastic graphics from the PS1[/quote]

Come on now. The graphics were awesome for the time. NO ONE was doing reflective mapping they way Konami did it with the stealth suit. I still remember my reaction when I saw the video of that. That single moment changed my console preference forever.

THis game is amazing.. honestly..if u haven't ever play metal gear..then u HAVE to play this one..it one of the best games in history...

The only thing you can say about the PS1 graphics are that they are pretty pixelated. But that can be taken care of if you play the game on the PS2 and turn on the texture filtering. As for the GC version, I read that all the voices were rerecorded, which is cool, but some of the characters, like Mei Ling, lost their distinctive accents. Also, allowing the 1st person view changes the game's dynamics somewhat, such as the first boss battle.

[quote name='Snake2715']Wont happen since Silicon Knights was part of the developer by at least 75%-80%.

Plus its not that hard. Start and A do codec, start and B pull a 3d map up.

No big deal start by itself doesnt do anything and the normal "soft reset" that you can do on Nintendo games is excluded from this for good reason.

Great game and much more challenging[/quote]

yea its not that hard, Silicon Knights only did like 60 percent is what Kojima told Gamespy

And yes there is no chance of an Xbox or PS2 port

i heard some of the additions detract from the game, like the ai is better, but the hiding parts arent, so if youre found, yore screwed. also heard from egm the ocelot boss fight is pathetically easy (not that is was ever hard) because now you can just first person aim to take him out. but i dont think they removed anything, except the playstation reference in the ninja fight room (replaced with mario)

bread's done
Back