Video Game Music + Wedding = Teh Win?

Mr Unoriginal

CAGiversary!
Feedback
111 (100%)
As some of you know, I've started planning a wedding to take place next fall. I'm trying to find ways to put some of my personality and likes in the event without offending people or otherwise looking like a huge nerd. I thought a neat way might be to have our first dance to some appropriate video game music, since we don't really have "our song" or anything like that. Video game music may also play a role in cocktail hour since there are quite a lot of nice arrangements out there.

Basically, I'm looking for some suggestions all around that would work in a semi-formal setting.

I think there were some CDs with piano arrangements of Final Fantasy songs. The Aeris's theme piano version I thought was pretty good. I notice they have a bunch of piano collections for the different FF games at gamemusic.com. Some of those might fit a formal situation and not seem too nerdy.

I think these two would be perfect for a wedding:

Forever Rachel
http://www.axiverse.com/ffreborn/ff6__forever_rachel_reborn.mp3

To Zanarkand
http://www.axiverse.com/ffreborn/FFX__To_Zanarkand_reborn.mp3

Both are freely available off the creator's website:
http://www.fantasyreborn.com/main.html

He's also got sheet music for all his arrangements on the site (in the first block in the left column), so if you have someone play piano at the ceremony, you could just hand them sheet music -- which would make it even LESS nerdy.

[quote name='ZerotypeX']what kind of music are you looking for (fast, slow, etc...)?

For upbeat: Rikku's theme from FFX is nice[/QUOTE]

Well for a first dance, something slower. For the cocktail hour, it can be a little more upbeat.

[quote name='BattleChicken']I think these two would be perfect for a wedding:

Forever Rachel
http://www.axiverse.com/ffreborn/ff6__forever_rachel_reborn.mp3

To Zanarkand
http://www.axiverse.com/ffreborn/FFX__To_Zanarkand_reborn.mp3

Both are freely available off the creator's website:
http://www.fantasyreborn.com/main.html

He's also got sheet music for all his arrangements on the site (in the first block in the left column), so if you have someone play piano at the ceremony, you could just hand them sheet music -- which would make it even LESS nerdy.[/QUOTE]

Forever Rachel is pretty perfect, I'm not sure it can be danced to, but it may work as the song when people are walking down the aisle before the bride.

I also really like the Opera theme, but I would like another version since the 'voice' in the original could be a little grating.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Forever Rachel is pretty perfect, I'm not sure it can be danced to, but it may work as the song when people are walking down the aisle before the bride.

I also really like the Opera theme, but I would like another version since the 'voice' in the original could be a little grating.[/quote]

I'm glad that you liked it! I personally think its one of the nicest piano pieces I've ever heard.. very simple but still a powerful piece.

I'll go through some of my music tonight, see if i can find anything else that would be good.. I actually used quite a bit of game music at our reception (which was a casual party a month AFTER the wedding.. not a formal reception), I'll see what I picked out.

[quote name='Ziv_Zulander']Waltz for the Moon[/QUOTE]
I was in my friends cotillion for her 18th birthday and they almost used that song for her waltz. They didn't know it was from FF, someone just happened to suggest it.

Some Final Fantasy pieces would work fairly well, I guess, but don't dork this up too much. It's a special day.

i would assume the bride to be has to be at least somewhat interested in video games (i feel when I get married, Lunar or Zelda, both favorites of ours will be represented at the wedding) I would get lesser known titles.. or go search on that "games remix" download site for "piano reditions" of popular video game music but may not be immediately apparent..

or try to see if the "video games live" thing has anything recorded..

We're incorporating Matoya's Cave from Final Fantasy 1, Zelda's Theme from Ocarina of Time, and something from Final Fantasy 10 though I am not certain what. My fiance and I are both gamers and it's going to be well represented.

My fiance is the furthest thing from a gamer, I can never get her to pickup a controller, but after hearing some of the FFIII soundtrack she became open to the possibility.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']My fiance is the furthest thing from a gamer, I can never get her to pickup a controller, but after hearing some of the FFIII soundtrack she became open to the possibility.[/quote]

Nice! I'd kept this sub hoping you'd post what you ended up choosing.

I'm still thinking that the stuff I liked earlier would be really fitting for ceremony stuff. Waltz of the moon from FF8 might be fun during the dances... One of these days I'll sift through my music again and post more ideas.. but not today!

Not sure if this has been said, but some Overclocked Remixes of your favorite songs can be good to blur the line (and make it sound less like a video game song) and make it possibly less offensive?

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']As some of you know, I've started planning a wedding to take place next fall. I'm trying to find ways to put some of my personality and likes in the event without offending people or otherwise looking like a huge nerd. I thought a neat way might be to have our first dance to some appropriate video game music, since we don't really have "our song" or anything like that. Video game music may also play a role in cocktail hour since there are quite a lot of nice arrangements out there.

Basically, I'm looking for some suggestions all around that would work in a semi-formal setting.[/quote]

Seriously man.... video game music at your wedding!??!!?!?!?

Are you really going to be dancing to video game music at your wedding? Unless everyone at your wedding is an even bigger nerd then you, no one is going to dance to weird music from video games.

Keep it real.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Seriously man.... video game music at your wedding!??!!?!?!?

Are you really going to be dancing to video game music at your wedding? Unless everyone at your wedding is an even bigger nerd then you, no one is going to dance to weird music from video games.

Keep it real.[/QUOTE]

I'm not having The Castlevania Theme or anything like that. What's the difference between a classical sounding piece of music from a game and Twist and Shout?

Well, my wedding was rather traditional -- but this is a neat idea. Here's some fun ideas --
  • Estradasphere's SMB2 Remix -- It's a fun, jazzy tune that I can see people dancing to at a reception
  • OOT had some amazing music, check into some of the OC Remixes and see if there are any piano pieces which could be fun to listen to. I have this beautiful, 3 piece OOT remix that was from OC Remix, but apparently isn't there anymore -- PM me if you wanted to hear that and I'll see if I can find the MP3s.
  • If you don't mind a more electronicy feel for your reception music, Project Chaos has some awesome Sonic 3 & Knuckles remixes which people can dance to
  • Super Smash Bros. Smashing Melee...Live! is an amazing album filled with some classic video game music from the Japanese Symphony Orchestra. If you can find this album, it's beautiful
Good luck with the wedding preparation and please keep us updated on the progress and what you guys decide.

[quote name='Jon Bon']Haha. How ridiculous :roll:[/quote]

Ehh.. not really. IMO, a lot of game music (especially from RPGs) are basically classical music -- theres nothing ridiculous or shameful about looking into MAYBE doing something a little unique in the wedding process

Mr. Unoriginal, its getting closer to the fall -- hows the wedding planning going?

[quote name='BattleChicken']Ehh.. not really. IMO, a lot of game music (especially from RPGs) are basically classical music -- theres nothing ridiculous or shameful about looking into MAYBE doing something a little unique in the wedding process[/quote]

He's right. Most of the guests can enjoy the music and not even KNOW that its video game music

[quote name='BattleChicken']Ehh.. not really. IMO, a lot of game music (especially from RPGs) are basically classical music -- theres nothing ridiculous or shameful about looking into MAYBE doing something a little unique in the wedding process

Mr. Unoriginal, its getting closer to the fall -- hows the wedding planning going?[/QUOTE]

Wedding planning is going well. We are going to have a classical guitarist play during the ceremony and cocktail hour which I'm pretty psyched about since it will be a little different. Hoping I can show him a song or two which he could transcribe for the guitar. Other than that I still plan on giving the DJ one or two songs that he can play during the quieter section of the reception when guests are eating.

Here's my suggestions.

• Almost anything from the Legend of Zelda: Hyrule Symphony. Here's a good pick.
  • I love the Arc the Lad Piano collection as well. You could look at Theme of Arc the Lad or Memory. There's some more upbeat tracks as well.
  • For a good laugh for Final Fantasy fans (and a waltz) Waltz de Chocobo would be an interesting pick.
  • If you're a Suikoden fan, you can't go wrong with Theme of a Moonlit Night.
  • For something more jazzy and upbeat, might I suggest Brink of Time from Chrono Trigger Brink of Time?

There's plenty of available orchestrations if you want to "stay classy". Hyrule Symphony, as mentioned before, any of the Orchestral Game Concerts, Final Fantasy: Dear Friends series, as well as the Smash Bros. Live! and Mario and Zelda Big Band. Overclocked remix is also a great choice to pick some songs.

Congratulations, and good luck with everything!

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Wedding planning is going well. We are going to have a classical guitarist play during the ceremony and cocktail hour which I'm pretty psyched about since it will be a little different. Hoping I can show him a song or two which he could transcribe for the guitar. Other than that I still plan on giving the DJ one or two songs that he can play during the quieter section of the reception when guests are eating.[/quote]

I've always been a fan of acoustic music... it sounds great. If I could do my wedding over again, I would have axed the piano in favor of a guitar -- hindsight is 20/20 though. It sounds like you're enjoying the planning a lot more than I did with my wedding.

I'll drop a post later on if I think of anything good the next time I go through my music.

[quote name='SteveDaWonder']We're incorporating Matoya's Cave from Final Fantasy 1, Zelda's Theme from Ocarina of Time, and something from Final Fantasy 10 though I am not certain what. My fiance and I are both gamers and it's going to be well represented.[/QUOTE]

Danger! Matoya's Cave can/will get stuck in your head for weeks after you hear it. (I love that tune)

My wife and I danced our first song to this: Kakariko Prom

Of course we edited the song a bit by removing the spoken parts and only keeping the waltz section. The people that recognized it thought it was awesome and everyone else just thought it was a neat song.

We had a whole bunch of other video game songs mixed with "normal" music. They just have to have the right kind of mood. Worked out great so go for it :D

My personal can't-miss is "Theme of Love" from FFIV. I think many pieces from that particular soundtrack can set a nice, romantic mood with the right arrangement.

I thought this was a terrible idea, but after listening to a few recommendations, I'm starting to think it could work out really well.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']I'm not having The Castlevania Theme or anything like that. What's the difference between a classical sounding piece of music from a game and Twist and Shout?[/quote]

lol I forgot about this thread.

Anyways seriously man...talk to your gf about this... you have no idea how dorky this is going to be on the most important day of your lives.

Keep it simple. Like I said before, unless everyone attending your wedding is a huge video game nerd, they aren't going to recognize the songs you played.

[quote name='ITDEFX']lol I forgot about this thread.

Anyways seriously man...talk to your gf about this... you have no idea how dorky this is going to be on the most important day of your lives.

Keep it simple. Like I said before, unless everyone attending your wedding is a huge video game nerd, they aren't going to recognize the songs you played.[/quote]

I think his whole point was that he didn't particularly want the songs to be recognizable as video game music to everyone.

[quote name='rapsodist']I think his whole point was that he didn't particularly want the songs to be recognizable as video game music to everyone.[/QUOTE]

Yes, that is the point. I have talked to my gf about it and after listening to some songs she is for it. I'd like to enjoy my own wedding and I don't think a handful of songs I may like will ruin it for everyone else.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Yes, that is the point. I have talked to my gf about it and after listening to some songs she is for it. I'd like to enjoy my own wedding and I don't think a handful of songs I may like will ruin it for everyone else.[/QUOTE]

Damn right. This day is for you and your fiancee, and the more you worry about everyone else the less you'll enjoy it.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Yes, that is the point. I have talked to my gf about it and after listening to some songs she is for it. I'd like to enjoy my own wedding and I don't think a handful of songs I may like will ruin it for everyone else.[/quote]

Agreed. We had a whole bunch of video game related music mixed in with the normal stuff. People that recognized the stuff (like my childhood friends) thought it was awesome. Yet a lot of it was mellow enough that even my grandma enjoyed it. We are talking a lot of remixes here of course that cater to a certain style so most of it was pretty slow with some faster ones mixed in.

Go with whatever you want to and you'll remember it as a great day a lot more than trying to fit some kind of predesignated mold.

BTW our wedding reception ended with us playing ping pong with everyone under a disco light ;) Now that's a wedding! Everyone had a great time and no one complained about the music, most people said it was the most fun wedding they had ever been to.

Follow your feelings on this and you'll be glad you did.

bread's done
Back