Major Nelson is still a vagina clown.

Drue

CAGiversary!
I gotta say, I just don't like the guy. When he wasn't spewing out the corporate line, he was dodging questions or being boring.

If Cheapy was afraid to push a little for answers, I think we wouldn't have learned anything but how much the Major enjoys working at Microsoft.

I wish Cheapy would have asked Major, "If you set up majornelson.com, who pays for your web hosting". If you check the domain registry, majornelson.com is registered to Xbox, not Larry Hyrb.

I used to really enjoy the podcast because of the developer interviews, but more and more that show is obviously "produced". It's becoming increasingly transparent that the whole show is PR.

Also, Larry's new office is in the PR building. Pwned!

[quote name='SNAKE EYES EX']I wish Cheapy would have asked Major, "If you set up majornelson.com, who pays for your web hosting". If you check the domain registry, majornelson.com is registered to Xbox, not Larry Hyrb. [/quote][quote name='SNAKE EYES EX']

I used to really enjoy the podcast because of the developer interviews, but more and more that show is obviously "produced". It's becoming increasingly transparent that the whole show is PR.

Also, Larry's new office is in the PR building. Pwned![/quote]
Are you sure you listened to the show? Major Nelson said everything is entirely owned by him, but he has the domain registered to a Microsoft address so he doesn't have freaks going to his house and harassing him and his family (understandably so.)

I disagree. I didn't think much of what he said was PR crap, he seems just like a normal guy who works for Microsoft. Sure, he didn't come out taking shots at MS, but would you publicy blast the people who sign your paychecks? I didn't think so.

[quote name='Temporaryscars']I disagree. I didn't think much of what he said was PR crap, he seems just like a normal guy who works for Microsoft. Sure, he didn't come out taking shots at MS, but would you publicy blast the people who sign your paychecks? I didn't think so.[/quote]

I blast the people that sign my checks everyday. It's freedom of speech and an opinion. Me and a guy I work with are always making jokes at the corporations expense and letting them know what we think i BS.

As for major nelson, I haven't liked him since before the PS3 came out, anytime sony would make an announcement about a set back or something that may go wrong like backwards compatibility, he would link it to his blog. Personally, I'd much rather have sony say "hey there may not be backwards compatibility" upfront then the Microsoft way of saying "All games will be backwards compatible." all the way up until they are released and then we find out not all titles are.

[quote name='Sideshow']I blast the people that sign my checks everyday. It's freedom of speech and an opinion. Me and a guy I work with are always making jokes at the corporations expense and letting them know what we think i BS.[/QUOTE]Really? Could you link to the podcast with thousands of listeners where you talk shit about your corporation? No? Well when you can maybe we can go job hunting together.

Selling out or Integrity...

It's a person by person basis in terms of what they choose.

Asking Hard Hitting questions and not stoping until you get answers you like OR asking softball questions that may or may not be answered.

Once again, depends on the person.

Major Nelson is a professional, even had Cheapy pushed him on questions he didn't want to answer I'm sure the Major could talk around it. This is a videogame podcast not Dateline To Catch a Predator. You can't expect him to bight the hand that feeds him to satisfy anonymous internet nerds.

[quote name='Milkyman']Major Nelson is a professional, even had Cheapy pushed him on questions he didn't want to answer I'm sure the Major could talk around it. This is a videogame podcast not Dateline To Catch a Predator. You can't expect him to bight the hand that feeds him to satisfy anonymous internet nerds.[/quote]

"Bight"???

Seriously?

the interview was fine. Major answered all the questions that Cheapy gave him but he had to be careful of what he says. if you publicly badmouth your own employer, i'm sure he would get in trouble. it was a pretty candid interview and if Major wanted to be an ass, he could just say "no comment".

Major already said he's happy to come back for another interview. i'm hoping Cheapy will be able to ask him the more controversial aspects of Live and see what he says.

[quote name='LiK']the interview was fine. Major answered all the questions that Cheapy gave him but he had to be careful of what he says. if you publicly badmouth your own employer, i'm sure he would get in trouble. it was a pretty candid interview and if Major wanted to be an ass, he could just say "no comment".

Major already said he's happy to come back for another interview. i'm hoping Cheapy will be able to ask him the more controversial aspects of Live and see what he says.[/QUOTE]

exactly. Cheapy couldn't just ask "so, why does DRM completely suck ass and what's up with MS CS screwing a guy out of $1000s worth of Xbox live games?" right off the bat.

The next interview will probably be less chummy, though this one was less formal than I expected.

[quote name='Apossum']exactly. Cheapy couldn't just ask "so, why does DRM completely suck ass and what's up with MS CS screwing a guy out of $1000s worth of Xbox live games?" right off the bat.[/quote]

Shouldn't have been the first question - but absolutely should have been in the interview. A real wasted opportunity, I thought.

Major Nelson is living the dream. Admit it.

Hey, I love my job, but the law gig got old pretty fast. I've essentially been doing the same thing for 9 1/2 years, with some minor changes in day to day stuff. (That's specialization for you. The only way to make money in this field, but it can result in boredom.) Would I trade jobs with Larry? Where do I sign?

[quote name='yukine']
Are you sure you listened to the show? Major Nelson said everything is entirely owned by him, but he has the domain registered to a Microsoft address so he doesn't have freaks going to his house and harassing him and his family (understandably so.)[/quote]

[FONT=&quot]You can check the domain registry. Larry Hyrb is only listed as a contact. He might have been the guy that hit the 'buy' button on godaddy, but everything is bought and paid for by MS.

With millions of hits and no ads, it is highly unlikely that he pays for the hosting of majornelson.com. Anyone who has ran a website knows how exorbitant web hosting fees can be at that volume of traffic. It's also the same host and caching service used for Xbox.com and Xbox Live.

Major Nelson is a glorified ad. Period. The shows are heavily influenced by PR (which is typically in the room with them) and it's recorded in the PR building on the MS campus.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

I don't really care, I just don't like it that Larry is portrayed as some guy who's "off the grid" doing this little show from the "inside". How about the Xbox 360 warranty announcement show when Larry and Peter Moore read their statements verbatim? It was clear they were reading from a sheet.

I don't hate the show, I still listen every week. But people should realize that the whole show is a glorified ad for all things MS.
[/FONT]

[quote name='TimPV3']Really? Could you link to the podcast with thousands of listeners where you talk shit about your corporation? No? Well when you can maybe we can go job hunting together.[/quote]

Thank you. You saved me some time.

[quote name='SNAKE EYES EX'][FONT=&quot]You can check the domain registry. Larry Hyrb is only listed as a contact. He might have been the guy that hit the 'buy' button on godaddy, but everything is bought and paid for by MS.

With millions of hits and no ads, it is highly unlikely that he pays for the hosting of majornelson.com. Anyone who has ran a website knows how exorbitant web hosting fees can be at that volume of traffic. It's also the same host and caching service used for Xbox.com and Xbox Live.

Major Nelson is a glorified ad. Period. The shows are heavily influenced by PR (which is typically in the room with them) and it's recorded in the PR building on the MS campus.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

I don't really care, I just don't like it that Larry is portrayed as some guy who's "off the grid" doing this little show from the "inside". How about the Xbox 360 warranty announcement show when Larry and Peter Moore read their statements verbatim? It was clear they were reading from a sheet.

I don't hate the show, I still listen every week. But people should realize that the whole show is a glorified ad for all things MS.
[/FONT][/quote]
And how do you know that? It doesn't tell you who paid for what through domain registry, he says he pays for everything and it's all owned by him. What's the big deal? What would he have to gain by lying about such trivial things?

And what if Microsoft helps pay for the hosting? Your employer pays for things for you as well, there's nothing nefarious about "fringe benefits."

[quote name='Nephlabobo']Shouldn't have been the first question - but absolutely should have been in the interview. A real wasted opportunity, I thought.[/QUOTE]
Exactly. Wombat obviously wasn't afraid to ask some real questions, and I find it interesting Cheapy didn't even allow Wombat to ask anything until the very end and made sure Wombat knew Major Nelson didn't have much time left.

Frankly most of the interview felt like a lot of ass kissing.

"Oh Major, I bet everyone you work with is so jealous of you!"
"There's no way Microsoft can fire you!"

Major Nelson is definately a clown like Ronald McDonald.

He's a pitchman for Microsoft even if he's just doing it on his own free time.

I can't defend the vagina part, however...

[quote name='Sideshow']I blast the people that sign my checks everyday. It's freedom of speech and an opinion. Me and a guy I work with are always making jokes at the corporations expense and letting them know what we think i BS.[/quote]

What corporation do you work for - Gamestop? I find it hard to believe that you can outwardly mock any serious business and not have any issues.

The older podcasts were great, now they just feel like hour long infomercials for M$.

Secondly, I call BS on the Microsoft domain registration reasoning. If he didn't want "stalkers" he could've registered it as private instead of public. I'm sure he could afford the extra $10 a year.

[quote name='Sideshow']I blast the people that sign my checks everyday. It's freedom of speech and an opinion. Me and a guy I work with are always making jokes at the corporations expense and letting them know what we think i BS.[/quote]

Yeah, but no one really takes what a bag boy says seriously these days.

So many shit talkers. It's amazing. Actually I'd say that the biggest thing I've ever done was the last time the owners of the corporation were down at my place of business, I forgot what the CEO said to me, but as soon as it was out of his mouth my comment back to him was "There's a better chance of you voting Democrat." You know the guy that could fire me and the 10 people working above me, yet he didn't take it personal, because even though most of you act like your opinion matters to these people. It doesn't. Bill Gates, Microsoft, Major Nelson or you boss don't give a shit about any of you. They don't care what you say. It's just words. It's not as if Major Nelson can ruin Microsoft. He can just shit talk about them, which is what most of us do anyways. Big deal.

For those of you who speculate about my job. I'm gonna say I work at the dollar store stocking shelves and not in a corporate office. That way you can think my opinion wouldn't matter, either.

Major Nelson is still a vagina clown.

I could've told you that a couple years ago. Actually, I have said that for awhile, using the slightly-less insulting "diva" in place of Wombat's choice phrase. I don't get why Cheapy seemed so hellbent on winning his approval. He put on a somewhat better face for the CAGcast*, but on his own show, I just can't take him. Haven't downloaded it in probably a year.

The guy has it tough with unreasonable kiddies and manbabies spamming his blog comments over the most piddly shit imaginable (ungrateful li'l/oversized fuckers!), so I'll give him that. It's a thankless job, and probably easy to get very, very bitter. Simultaneously, he's still got a bit of that 'upturned-nose' vibe going on regardless. Maybe he's laid off it in recent months, but I always found his DS name-checking to be a blatant play for gamer cred (you can genuinely like the handheld, but you don't have to talk about it three times a Microsoft podcast).

*--Hard for the show to not disarm a guest, I would imagine.

[quote name='Sideshow']So many shit talkers. It's amazing. Actually I'd say that the biggest thing I've ever done was the last time the owners of the corporation were down at my place of business, I forgot what the CEO said to me, but as soon as it was out of his mouth my comment back to him was "There's a better chance of you voting Democrat." You know the guy that could fire me and the 10 people working above me, yet he didn't take it personal, because even though most of you act like your opinion matters to these people. It doesn't. Bill Gates, Microsoft, Major Nelson or you boss don't give a shit about any of you. They don't care what you say. It's just words. It's not as if Major Nelson can ruin Microsoft. He can just shit talk about them, which is what most of us do anyways. Big deal. [/quote]

I guess you're just too retarded to understand the difference. You're right, your CEO may not care that you bad mouth the company to him. Do you think he'd care if you bad mouthed the company in front of your current or potential customers, say on a radio show/podcast/TV show? I think he might have a problem with that.

Bad mouthing to him doesn't cost him any money, but you as an employee bad mouthing the company to a possible audience of customers/potential customers could take money out of his pocket. Once you've done that, come back to us and let us know how that went, internet tough guy.

I enjoyed the interview. Was it Dateline? No, it didn't need to be. All it needed to be was entertaining, and it was.

I was disappointed that Cheapy didn't bring up the discussion of "advertisements all over the dashboard when you are paying for Gold and themes/gamerpics." I figured that would have been one of the first questions. Sure he would likely dodge it, but it would have put a bug in his ear and passed it along to the appropriate person.

[quote name='Sideshow']
As for major nelson, I haven't liked him since before the PS3 came out, anytime sony would make an announcement about a set back or something that may go wrong like backwards compatibility, he would link it to his blog. Personally, I'd much rather have sony say "hey there may not be backwards compatibility" upfront then the Microsoft way of saying "All games will be backwards compatible." all the way up until they are released and then we find out not all titles are.[/QUOTE]

A tad off topic, but Sony painted that target on their own back by blasting MS two years ago for limited software back compat, and went on to say it is a staple of their platform and a true feature of the PS3. So on one hand you have a corporate CEO blasting the competition's back compat, and on the other hand you have an employee, pretty far down the corporate ladder, returning the favor, on a blog no-less. I don't think I need to point out who took the cheapest shot.

[quote name='Sideshow']
For those of you who speculate about my job. I'm gonna say I work at the dollar store stocking shelves and not in a corporate office. That way you can think my opinion wouldn't matter, either.[/quote]

If you were in a corporate office and talked the shit you say you do - I'd hate to see the stock price of your firm, because they're letting a cancer spread and they probably run the rest of the business into the ground.

Everyone hates some things that their companies do, but to say something to an executive's face, and not get canned - that's ignorance on their end.

[quote name='Kosh']internet tough guy.[/quote]

I just wanted to point out I have yet to flame you and you've used 2 of your 13 total posts to attack me, personally. Who's the internet tough guy?

[quote name='Corvin']A tad off topic, but Sony painted that target on their own back by blasting MS two years ago for limited software back compat, and went on to say it is a staple of their platform and a true feature of the PS3. So on one hand you have a corporate CEO blasting the competition's back compat, and on the other hand you have an employee, pretty far down the corporate ladder, returning the favor, on a blog no-less. I don't think I need to point out who took the cheapest shot.[/quote]

See, I never seen the article about Sony blasting MS. I just knew that Major Nelson did in fact take cheap shots at Sony. And as Major Nelson said, his site gets about a million hits a day. so don't let the fact that it was a blog fool you into thinking it didn't get around, but nevertheless, I didn't know Sony started this.

[quote name='SirMikael']If you were in a corporate office and talked the shit you say you do - I'd hate to see the stock price of your firm, because they're letting a cancer spread and they probably run the rest of the business into the ground.

Everyone hates some things that their companies do, but to say something to an executive's face, and not get canned - that's ignorance on their end.[/quote]

For the business that I'm in. The other companies that do this same thing we do have been losing money for the past year or so, but we have still been turning a profit. Now, this is a big corporation, but the top guys of this place aren't the super uptight corporate assholes like they are at most places. Don't get me wrong, they love money just as much as any other big businessmen, but everyone that works for this corporation makes good money and has good benefits. I believe that the lowest paying job you can have at any of their work places is like $8 per hr for like the janitors and then $10 an hour for other throw away job people, but average is anywhere from $15-$23 per hour.

The fact is, most people are afraid of freedom of speech, not because of the consequences, but because they are afraid of what the consequences might be, but no one knows, since they won't do it.

P.S. - I don't recommend going up to your boss and trying what I done. I done it w/o thinking and he ended up just taking it as a joke.

Who cares if he didn't ask the hard questions. I would rather listen to a few people joshing each oter around than one guy asking questions and the other guy saying "well I don't work in that department but I have asked about that problem and brought it to that departments attention." Just becasue you can ask questions doesn't mean that they are useful or interesting. What some of you want is comparable to the knucklehead in class that never learns the material and spends the entire review section asking about the vocublary and nevere getting to the points that will be present on future tests. At least in the show Wombat inserted his foot in his mouth for some good times and the interview was more than Cheapy talking to the walls. As for the you cant get fired from MS, and other ass kissery, that we can all live without.

[quote name='Sideshow']
P.S. - I don't recommend going up to your boss and trying what I done. I done it w/o thinking and he ended up just taking it as a joke.[/quote]

That's all that I was looking for! :D

[quote name='Temporaryscars']I disagree. I didn't think much of what he said was PR crap, he seems just like a normal guy who works for Microsoft. Sure, he didn't come out taking shots at MS, but would you publicy blast the people who sign your paychecks? I didn't think so.[/quote]

I agree with Temporaryscars, I think he's a normal down to earth guy. I would say and act the same way if I ran the show. There's no reason to beat on him or be mad at CheapyD for the questions he asked. You guys are acting pretty silly.

[quote name='Corvin']I was disappointed that Cheapy didn't bring up the discussion of "advertisements all over the dashboard when you are paying for Gold and themes/gamerpics." I figured that would have been one of the first questions. Sure he would likely dodge it, but it would have put a bug in his ear and passed it along to the appropriate person.[/QUOTE]

If there were mod points here, I'd mod this post way up. :) I really wanted this question asked. At the very least, it be nice to have a way to send some feedback to Microsoft.

bread's done
Back