Career Flipping Video Games?

ShaJay

CAGiversary!
Who here thinks you can make ALOT of money just flipping and selling games. I made a TON of money flipping games now for 8 years. Who here also makes alot money just casually flipping games.

Also how much do you project that u can make if you took it serious

Judging from your grammar, you don't take much of anything seriously.

Unfortunately, an occupation does pay more, but the downside is that you have to have a skill that an employer actually wants. Sorry.

It would be something to consider, kinda like that guy who flips house on tv. A few suggestion, live in a big city, more stores to go to.

I could see this as a part time job but you would ahve to hit things just right, or else bam no money

A ton of money is relative. I made a ton of money selling/flipping games the last two years to the point where even after buying some 30 games this year I'm some $1000 in the black, but that's not even equal to one of my paychecks. To do that on a bi-weekly basis would be more of a chore than going to work.

Also, guaranteed money > not guaranteed money.

Stick with a real job.

I did however know a guy who does do this as a profession. He had no joke, around 5,000 games in his house, best he could estimate, and also said that most of them had not been there a year. Last I had talked to him he had made around 20k so far this year, but that was around april. He's also very organized with it and spends a lot of time traveling between chicago and other midwestern towns looking for stuff.

The competition is also fairly fierce for this stuff. There's lots of smelly 40 year olds trying to make money doing this, and very few making money doing it.

I sell games on ebay just to pay for new games. I'd say I come out even overall, for the minor losses and minor gains in price.

Flipping games as a Career?!?!? Ok, so where is the health benefits ? Now does this pay for gas? Parking tickets? Oh oh... how about car insurance?

and retirement?

oh come on man... just cause your making some easy cash/credit doesn't mean your gonna make more money then the working class. There will come a point where the buy value of used/flipped games will be much lower then you paid for them, so in the end you will loose a lot of money.

Its called any flea market vendor, any small video game store owner. Not every store is a gamestop, so they have to stock their shelf somehow

Some extra cash, sure. It's not a living though.

Maybe make it your entertainment budget, but I wouldn't rely on my ability to sell games in order to eat.

When I kept my amazon selling business going full speed back in July/August of this year I was averaging about $2000 profit per month. I didn't just sell games though, anything cheap I could find electronics-wise is my forte. :)

Yeah, you've really got to be selling everything.

I hear those B2G1 gamestop sales are goldmines for DVD sets sometimes. Rare star trek sets that lonely manbabies pay hundreds for and such.

It's too bad this is the predominant reason I can rarely find cheap copies of clearance games I actually want to play or penny guides I actually need. That and the whole "I didn't actually want it, but if you do, check my eBay auctions" shenanigans.

I'd feel less burned about it if I were getting beat out by other gamers, but when it's old bearded fat ladies wheezing and leaving slug-trails of sweat from their dragging cankles while indiscrimiately shoveling games into their shopping cart walker...it hurts.

If you don't have a life then yeah, flipping is probably great.

I tried it once but there are so many losers out there who have nothing better to do than sit around a computer and look for deals. I don't have the time or patience.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']

I'd feel less burned about it if I were getting beat out by other gamers, but when it's old bearded fat ladies wheezing and leaving slug-trails of sweat from their dragging cankles while indiscrimiately shoveling games into their shopping cart walker...it hurts.[/QUOTE]

You ran into her at Circuit City clearance last year too huh?

[quote name='Snake2715']You ran into her at Circuit City clearance last year too huh?[/QUOTE]
Bitch took the last copy of Area 51 for Xbox. I'm still steamed.

[quote name='Chacrana']Judging from your grammar, you don't take much of anything seriously.

Unfortunately, an occupation does pay more, but the downside is that you have to have a skill that an employer actually wants. Sorry.[/QUOTE]

HEY, employers love them selves the ability to screw people over, and flippers do it better than most :p

On a more serious note; I know a particularly fat & disgusting person that has a VG store that is based on nothing more than flipping games from clearances and sales. It doesn't seem like it's worth the effort, especially over just buying and selling used games.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']Bitch took the last copy of Area 51 for Xbox. I'm still steamed.[/QUOTE]

:rofl: I still remember the incident with the lard ass that I mentioned before. The guy goes and gathers up every damn clearance game he could find, brings them to the checkout, I ask nicely if I can a copy of Advance Wars DS that he has (out of about 20). He tells me to piss off. I snap and start shouting at him and he starts to snivel (what any normal person would when someone of my stature goes off on them). The manager comes over and starts to question the two of us. I tell him my side of the story and wouldn't you know it, the manager sided with me! Fat ass goes on a tirade on how he had them first, etc, etc and guess what the manager does? He tells the fat ass that he's only allowed to buy 1 copy of each game! Fat guy gets really pissed, says he doesn't want anything anymore and just walks away.

[quote name='Vinny']I tried it once but there are so many losers out there who have nothing better to do than sit around a computer and look for deals. I don't have the time or patience.[/QUOTE]

...so all of us are losers? :D

[quote name='-Never4ever-']HEY, employers love them selves the ability to screw people over, and flippers do it better than most :p

On a more serious note; I know a particularly fat & disgusting person that has a VG store that is based on nothing more than flipping games from clearances and sales. It doesn't seem like it's worth the effort, especially over just buying and selling used games.

:rofl: I still remember the incident with the lard ass that I mentioned before. The guy goes and gathers up every damn clearance game he could find, brings them to the checkout, I ask nicely if I can a copy of Advance Wars DS that he has (out of about 20). He tells me to piss off. I snap and start shouting at him and he starts to snivel (what any normal person would when someone of my stature goes off on them). The manager comes over and starts to question the two of us. I tell him my side of the story and wouldn't you know it, the manager sided with me! Fat ass goes on a tirade on how he had them first, etc, etc and guess what the manager does? He tells the fat ass that he's only allowed to buy 1 copy of each game! Fat guy gets really pissed, says he doesn't want anything anymore and just walks away.[/QUOTE]

your kidding me? LOL CAG=1, FW Hoarder=0

[quote name='Callandor']...so all of us are losers? :D[/QUOTE]

nah only the one's who think they can get rich quick by flipping games.

Flipping isn't anything new, people have done it with antiques for decades, heck I knew someone who made decent money buying up trading cards then selling them in the next state. But with so many people doing it and the ebay factor it's really difficult to make a sustainable profit.

The real sad part is that our economy is really set up for people to do this sort of thing, and economists say that this is a good thing. It gets the items to the people paying the most for them.

So, people do this for a living with other stuff, is it possible on just games, I really don't know. You'd have to sit down and figure how much time/money you are spending to get these games, and how much your making, to do this.

Then, you better have 6 months of expenses set aside, in case you hit a dry spell.

Overall, is it worth the pain involved. Sure, you don't have a boss, but I'm not sure making an average living at best while being hated by almost every other shopper you run into would be worth it.

I did this 4 years ago, and made abour 33,000 a year. I make too much to deal with it now. Easy living though, I'll get into detail on how I did it later.

[quote name='Mookyjooky']I did this 4 years ago, and made abour 33,000 a year. I make too much to deal with it now. Easy living though, I'll get into detail on how I did it later.[/quote]

So you were the basically the guy who hoarded everything around here? No wonder I cant find shit.

[quote name='InuFaye']So you were the basically the guy who hoarded everything around here? No wonder I cant find shit.[/quote]

Actually, I sold old Vintage games and systems.

I bought them from moms who's sons went off to college and they had this extra stuff lying around and didnt know how to upload a picture (or didnt have a digital one)...

Its amazing how you can call them, and ask them about the items and bid for pennies and refurb the items, take excellent studio like digital shots and sell in peices for 3x what you bought them from.

I would use the cases of sports games to clean up other games (Genesis) that were worth something and trash the sports games. That was one of the downsides, you would have A LOT of sports games. A LOT!

I never horded, or sold new stuff for that matter. Hell, when I saw a CAG here in town for the CC sale years ago, I gave him a game he was looking for. The CAG was Wampa8Jedi, and I gave him a copy of Resident Evil on the PS2... cant remember the name, it was the one that was ported from the Dreamcast.

I can never really find anything in the Charlottesville/Harrisonburg area. Although the Waynesboro K-Mart is money for clearance games.

[quote name='InuFaye']I can never really find anything in the Charlottesville/Harrisonburg area. Although the Waynesboro K-Mart is money for clearance games.[/quote]

You live by here? Small world.

Me an Wampa cleared out CC the first sale for the most part. But it was equal, and neither of us had duplicates I think.

[quote name='Mookyjooky']You live by here? Small world.

Me an Wampa cleared out CC the first sale for the most part. But it was equal, and neither of us had duplicates I think.[/quote]

Yeah I live about 30 mins away from charlottesville. Its kinda in between. I cleaned out the waynesboro KMart a couple of times. It seems like everytime I hit up CC or BB in Charlottesville the shit is already gone.

Some excellent points in this post -- far better than I could contribute.

We all go through a hoarding phase when we discover CAG, I think. Most of us either decide it's not worth the effort and stick to games we'll actually play, while others make just enough profit flipping to pay for games they want.

The "one man's trash is another man's treasure" business is probably the oldest profession next to prostitution. I don't know if it's worth pursuing that heavily these days. But like anything, if you put enough time/dedication into it, it can be lucrative. Just don't expect those of us who want to find one specific copy of a game on clearance applauding your efforts.

[quote name='kube00']It would be something to consider, kinda like that guy who flips house on tv. A few suggestion, live in a big city, more stores to go to.

I could see this as a part time job but you would ahve to hit things just right, or else bam no money[/QUOTE]

Living in a city != more stores. I have on EB and 2 BB within any sort of reasonable distance from me.

On top of that, the cost of living is outrageous.

[quote name='ITDEFX']your kidding me? LOL CAG=1, FW Hoarder=0[/QUOTE]

Should make that 2, since he also got kicked from the EBGS I used to work at for being a giant douche.

bread's done
Back