FC Twin system or the real thing?

ITDEFX

CAGiversary!
Feedback
13 (100%)
I was over at starland today and saw this.
http://www.estarland.com/NintendoSuper.cat..product.28450.html

I was quoted about 50-60 bucks for an original NES and about the same for a SNES. Recently my gf's brother gave me a bunch of NES/SNES games however I don't have a SNES/NES. Was told not to sell them so I have to keep them. Anyways I saw the FC Twin System and was wondering if it is worth getting since it's about 60 bucks. Does anyone have this thing? Does it actually run like a NES/SNES or are there problems with this unit?

thanks

I own the FC Twin and it is a good alternative to owning both a NES and SNES, however, nothing beats the real thing. The FC Twin has many of the same compatibility problems of other "Nintendo on a chip systems" and it uses SNES controllers for input (no zapper). I haven't run into any compatibility problems on the SNES side.

This wiki page has alot of accurate info on the FC Twin.

[quote name='briansraregames']http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fc_twin

And I've heard that the Mega Man X series games have some problems as well. This isn't confirmed though.[/quote]

I believe it's Mega Man X2 & X3 that have issues with it, due to the graphics chip Capcom put in them(that's also why most emulators have trouble playing them too).

ok I just bought the system last night. However I am not getting any type of signal with the unit. It turns on, but no video or audio. Nothing is blinking on the tv or the unit. Did this thing come with instructions or the back of the box was all it has?

[quote name='ITDEFX']ok I just bought the system last night. However I am not getting any type of signal with the unit. It turns on, but no video or audio. Nothing is blinking on the tv or the unit. Did this thing come with instructions or the back of the box was all it has?[/quote]

I'll assume you hooked it up properly. If so, its one of two problems.

1- Your carts are dirty. And yes, they can be soo dirty that you dont even get blinking or scrambled graphics. Clean your carts with iso alcohol at least, but a metal polish like Brasso works even better.

2- The unit may just be defective.

[quote name='ITDEFX']ok I just bought the system last night. However I am not getting any type of signal with the unit. It turns on, but no video or audio. Nothing is blinking on the tv or the unit. Did this thing come with instructions or the back of the box was all it has?[/quote]

Make sure you are powering up the correct cart. I though mine was broken but the power was on the SNES switch insteadof the NES one.

I like my FC Twin and only play it when I want to play NES/SNES on my HDTV in the living room. General rule of thumb is the original hardware is always better than the third party.

ok, I finally got the N64 working and I tried the FC Twin again.

This time I only get sound, no video :(.

There is a STRONG smell of o-zone inside of the thing AND it seems to stink up any cart I put into it. Putting carts into it is not as easy as it seems I have to force it in.

It's going back tomorrow since I also hear something loose inside the controllers :(

[quote name='Theduck']FC twins are garbage. Kill them with fire and get yourself the original things. If I were you id just ebay everything off. :)[/quote]

I wouldn’t call it garbage. It a cheap NES & SNES with some quirks and is a great little system for the casual retro gamer as long as you don’t use it for Famicon games. I like it because most fami-clone are pack in with cheap junk controllers and with the FC Twin you can use your first party SNES controllers. It’s the best of both worlds for about $50 bucks.

I would suggest saving up your $$$$ and search for cheap NES/SNES console through garage sales and pawn shops. My brother bought his SNES (no controllers and cables) for $8.

Here's a little article I wrote a few months back. I hope this helps.

[quote name='Jangofatt']I wouldn’t call it garbage. It a cheap NES & SNES with some quirks and is a great little system for the casual retro gamer as long as you don’t use it for Famicon games. I like it because most fami-clone are pack in with cheap junk controllers and with the FC Twin you can use your first party SNES controllers. It’s the best of both worlds for about $50 bucks.

I would suggest saving up your $$$$ and search for cheap NES/SNES console through garage sales and pawn shops. My brother bought his SNES (no controllers and cables) for $8.

Here's a little article I wrote a few months back. I hope this helps. [/QUOTE]

Thanks for the Article. Yea I was bummed about not being able to play castlevania 3, but I have it for emulation/PC so no biggie lost there.

I do need to exchange my FC Twin though as I am only getting sound out of it and no video.. it goes back tomorrow.

[quote name='ITDEFX']ok, I finally got the N64 working and I tried the FC Twin again.

This time I only get sound, no video :(.

There is a STRONG smell of o-zone inside of the thing AND it seems to stink up any cart I put into it. Putting carts into it is not as easy as it seems I have to force it in.

It's going back tomorrow since I also hear something loose inside the controllers :([/QUOTE]

that's what you get for buying the chinese imitation version of the real thing. hazardous to your health and broken.

plus, no Castlevania 3 or Yoshi's Island?! those are both too damn good, like top 3-5 material.

[quote name='Apossum']that's what you get for buying the chinese imitation version of the real thing. hazardous to your health and broken.

plus, no Castlevania 3 or Yoshi's Island?! those are both too damn good, like top 3-5 material.[/QUOTE]

funny thing is that I *almost* bought yoshi's Island when I picked up this thing...but I think i remembered that YI doesn't work on the FC.

ok....

went back to the store and told them what I learned.

They confirmed that there was a problem with the unit and confirm the burnt smell. Were happy to exchange it and test it on the spot. Finally got a chance to test it myself (after 2 hours of mario and sonic :p ).. It would seem my Joytech switch box hates this thing so I hooked it up to my vcr input in and it worked. Castlevania 4 played with no problems. However two NES carts, Super C and Powerblade had this weird verticle line bands and I could tell from the start of Level 1 of Super C that the sound wasn't on the spot as it seemed that it was not playing certain notes. :( awwww. super c had a opening level tune that's impossible to forget.

There's no shame in Nintendo on a chip. My NES is in fine working order, but I really wanted to store it somewhere safe so I'll still have it in the future. I got a Yobo for practically nothing and aside from occasional narsty sound, it's the same experience.

I've played an FC Twin and I'd say that it's a sound investment.

Im about to get this system from Amazon.

Getting Super Mario All Stars, Super Mario World, Donkey Kong Country, Super Mario Kart, and Star Fox.

Would you guys reccomend/cut out anything?

[quote name='Stormtrooper30']Im about to get this system from Amazon.

Getting Super Mario All Stars, Super Mario World, Donkey Kong Country, Super Mario Kart, and Star Fox.

Would you guys reccomend/cut out anything?[/quote]

Not sure about the others, but don't get Star Fox. Because of the Super FX chip, that will be unplayable on the system.

thank god i still have my originals. I cant put much trust in to these kind of systems. Sure you can play alot of games..but if you cant play the game you want to play and enjoy fully....and it cant play that game...than what use is it. Anyway as a retro freak..i couldnt imagine myself playing SNES games of NES games on anything but the original. I'd rather have that square or dogbone controller than a knockoff one.

Also - Generation NEX with the 2.4ghz wireless controllers is the best NES-on-a-chip experience I've seen. The controllers feel very authentic.

[quote name='tangytangerine']Not sure about the others, but don't get Star Fox. Because of the Super FX chip, that will be unplayable on the system.[/quote]

Star Fox works fine

you know I was looking thru the games that my girlfriend's brother gave me...most of them where crap (Shack Fu anyone?), but other good ones where games like TMNT Turtles in time, Super C, a few game boy games (don't have a game boy :( )Ninja Gadien 1, and castlevania 3...........argh... I can't play it on this machine because of the security chip. bah. oh well... There are a few others he gave me like Castlevania 4 and Contra: Alien Wars

[quote name='b_burrack']Do the Messiah SNES wireless controllers work with the FC Twin?[/QUOTE]

Yes.

So does the Super Gameboy, Starfox, BatterUp with the bat, Donkey Kong, Mario RPG, and almost all my other games in my vast collection.

The Twin is pretty solid. One thing, though - ALWAYS LOOK FOR THE YOBO JEWEL ON THE BACK OF THE SYSTEM AND YOBO LOGO ON THE BOX! Seriously. I cant stress that enough. There are ripoff systems that only say "FC Twin" on the back. I love my Yobo Twin.

[quote name='SZF2001']Yes.

So does the Super Gameboy, Starfox, BatterUp with the bat, Donkey Kong, Mario RPG, and almost all my other games in my vast collection.

The Twin is pretty solid. One thing, though - ALWAYS LOOK FOR THE YOBO JEWEL ON THE BACK OF THE SYSTEM AND YOBO LOGO ON THE BOX! Seriously. I cant stress that enough. There are ripoff systems that only say "FC Twin" on the back. I love my Yobo Twin.

bread's done
Back