Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - buy a N64 or get it for gamecube?

tehweezner

CAGiversary!
Feedback
16 (100%)
so i've never played OoT, wondering if i should just buy a N64 and the game or get the collector's edition for Gamecube, or the bonus disc with master quest for gamecube (would play the original version of course)

prefer the cheapest route, but all opinions welcome :cool:

Yeah it be best to play it on N64 like it was meant to be played.

But if you already have a GameCube?? or Wii? I don't see the point on buying a N64 just for Zelda: OoT. Now if you wanna also play Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Mario 64, Zelda MM, Diddy Kong Racing, etc, etc.

Then maybe you should get a N64.

Also if you do get it for GC, you should get the other version. It might be more but it comes with Zelda, Zelda II, Zelda: OoT, and Zelda: MM.

the cube version is also censor. Of course you also need the first print of the N64 version to find it uncensor

[quote name='Makaveli_The_Don']Yeah it be best to play it on N64 like it was meant to be played.

But if you already have a GameCube?? or Wii? I don't see the point on buying a N64 just for Zelda: OoT. Now if you wanna also play Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Mario 64, Zelda MM, Diddy Kong Racing, etc, etc. [/quote]

That what I was thinking. If he's already got a cube, it's actually cheaper to go for the Collector's Edition, while getting Adventures of Link, LOZ & Majora's Mask on the same disc too.

Because he would have to buy a N64 and OOT, which would be just about the same amount as the Collector Edition. Of course, that's if he's just wanting to play OOT.

first prints had ganon bleeding red blood at the end of the game, its was changed to green in later prints

[quote name='mykevermin']I see. Thanks; I'm not going to get too concerned about that, then.[/quote] Some bit of music was also changed due to religious complaints.

Either way, just get it for the Cube. You get Master Quest with it (if you're buying the OoT/MQ one) and your analog stick isn't prone to wearing out from use and age.

That or just download it on the Virtual Console.

On the Zelda Collector's Disc, I had problems with Majora's Mask. It froze up on me in two spots, and they were "strategic" freezes in that they prevented me from saving many hours of progress. Called Nintendo. On the first freeze they said it was most likely hardware and replaced my cube (this was just after the Collector's Disc was released). On the second freeze they told me that they had received reports that the emulation could be dodgy in spots and could result in the freezing I saw. They suggested a reboot this time. Terrific.

I logged a lot of hours in attempting 100% completion, but it got to the point that I sold the Collector's Disc on eBay rather than replay all that to get back to where I left off before the freezes kicked in. I was pretty pissed at the time but happy to make some cash off the frustration (~$45 I think). I understand the Collector's Disc was technically a gimme, as they didn't have to pack it in with NP (of course, I didn't have to subscribe to that shitrag), but they still could've put a little more effort into making MM worth playing.

Anyhow, I don't know if OoT suffers from the same problem, but the emulation on the GC-version of MM at least isn't anything to write home about.

[quote name='dothog']Anyhow, I don't know if OoT suffers from the same problem, but the emulation on the GC-version of MM at least isn't anything to write home about.[/quote]
Might just be your experience, I know I only had it freeze up one time after you get the zora mask.

As for OOT, no, it doesn't freeze up. Reason MM freezes is due to the expansion pak that it required on the N64. Nintendo had trouble replicating that through emulation software.

On the note of Majora's Mark, I'm curious to see if and when it gets released for the VC (has it? I didn't check the Japan lists) if it will have the same emulation problems, or if they fixed it.

A beautiful and freeze-free Majora's Mask? That's something I'd gladly pay another $10 for.

Censored version had green blood instead of red, Fire-Temple music was changed because it sounded like a "religious chant", and the symbol for the Gerudo (spelling? ) was changed from a crescent moon and star to something else.

Never knew about the censored thing, apparently I have the first print version. Wonder which version N will use on the VC... well not really, it'll be the censored one.

the only thing that annoyed me about Collector's Edition was I thought that the analog stick was to sensitive. I couldn't complete the shooting mini-game in Clock town on the gamecube contoller.

Get the GameCube version. It has improved visuals (480p support) and there are very slim differences using a GameCube controller over a n64 controller (since this is your first time playing the game, you won't find any). The only thing I dislike about the GameCube version is the save screen which takes a while to access your memory card and save the game (it was very simple with the n64 game cartridge saves, maybe like 2 seconds). Also the game takes 9 blocks of memory to save as well.

As for the issue of Majora's Mask on Zelda Collector's Edition for the GameCube, there is a warning each time you begin the game about the sound issues.
tangytangerine is right about the expansion pak emulation issue with the game. This will also definitely lead to issues of emulating Perfect Dark, DK64, and Starcraft 64 if they ever come around to the VC. I do not think we will be seeing Majora's Mask on the VC anytime soon.

yes, Z:MM on the GCN is flawed due to the expansion pack

if you want to play that game, you might as well play it on a N64, so basically I'm saying if you want to play both N64 Zelda's get a N64 for cheap and play them on that (plus the controller is much better than the GCN or Wii Classic)...bonus points for being able to play some of the best games ever (specifically one's Nintendo made) if you get a N64

[quote name='SuppaMan']yes, Z:MM on the GCN is flawed due to the expansion pack

if you want to play that game, you might as well play it on a N64, so basically I'm saying if you want to play both N64 Zelda's get a N64 for cheap and play them on that (plus the controller is much better than the GCN or Wii Classic)...bonus points for being able to play some of the best games ever (specifically one's Nintendo made) if you get a N64[/QUOTE]

IMO.. I would get the most available easiest to get for you.. for me..the GC version would be more convient (as in, I don't have to dig out a 11 year old system and hook it up to a finite amout of space in front of the TV)..

I played both versions, and unless you are really a nazi, and you REALLY love the N64 controller.. and some of the problems come from, its radically different then any other controller Nintendo has done. anyways..

i hated the 64 zelda games.. the camera just ruins the experience and I hated the targeting system.. and the graphics just didn't do it for me... I guess I played it way before.

If you just hated the games what the hell is wrong with you? OoT is quite possibly the best game ever in so many people's opinion's

I understand not agreeing with that, but i dont see how a real gamer could actually hate the game.

If it's just the N64 versions that makes no sense, the GCN version is barely upgraded at all. It'd be like playing Mario games in the SNES Mario All-Stars pack and then saying the original's suck, even though they are the same thing (hell Mario All-Stars had more updated graphics than the Zelda 64 to GCN versions did). And seriously graphics? Please Mario on the NES has some shit ass graphics but is still a great game.

As far as versions, in order I'd say Original (N64), Adapted Emulation (Wii), Emulated (GCN).

I say adapted because the Wii version isn't known to have issues (and was an official N release that they charged for, not a quick patch up job as a bonus pre-order extra), not that the GCN version of OoT is, but I know MM's has a ton of issues on the GCN.

The original is still the best IMO unless you want to play it in 480p. If so the Wii version is the best (to bad you can't use an N64 controller though). The GCN version is just a straight up emulation. Majora's Mask has a bunch of issues however. The game can crash, freeze, lag, and have audio that is out of whack, so the only way to play that odd Zelda game is the 64 right now IMO (maybe the big N will work out emulation kinks and put up a problem free one on the Wii in the next year or so).

I have to say, I played it on both Gamecube and N64, and N64 was my favorite. You have to play it with what it's meant to be played with. OoT was absolutely amazing, definitley one of my favorite games of all time.

[quote name='SuppaMan']If you just hated the games what the hell is wrong with you? OoT is quite possibly the best game ever in so many people's opinion's

I understand not agreeing with that, but i dont see how a real gamer could actually hate the game.

If it's just the N64 versions that makes no sense, the GCN version is barely upgraded at all. It'd be like playing Mario games in the SNES Mario All-Stars pack and then saying the original's suck, even though they are the same thing (hell Mario All-Stars had more updated graphics than the Zelda 64 to GCN versions did). And seriously graphics? Please Mario on the NES has some shit ass graphics but is still a great game.

As far as versions, in order I'd say Original (N64), Adapted Emulation (Wii), Emulated (GCN).

I say adapted because the Wii version isn't known to have issues (and was an official N release that they charged for, not a quick patch up job as a bonus pre-order extra), not that the GCN version of OoT is, but I know MM's has a ton of issues on the GCN.

The original is still the best IMO unless you want to play it in 480p. If so the Wii version is the best (to bad you can't use an N64 controller though). The GCN version is just a straight up emulation. Majora's Mask has a bunch of issues however. The game can crash, freeze, lag, and have audio that is out of whack, so the only way to play that odd Zelda game is the 64 right now IMO (maybe the big N will work out emulation kinks and put up a problem free one on the Wii in the next year or so).[/QUOTE]

In my opinion.. Chrono Trigger is the best game of all time.. as far as the best Zelda game.. I think A link to the Past is the best Zelda game..

OoT felt EXACTLY like a link to the past.. outside of "oo 3D" it didn't appeal to me.. I'm sorry.. I guess I'm not a "real" gamer.. even though I exist and play games.. I just didn't like OoT.. I played it in 2004.. maybe I should have played it in 98-2000 it just may have past me by. I mean Zelda games have no original story.. I mean yeah the "quest" changes somewhat, but its been the same story since the beginning and to me thats just bland..

anyways, I played it on both systems (64 and GC) and I would give it to the game cube because I personally like the controls better on the GC.. not saying its the "most true" or whatever.. but to me it felt better on a GC then the 64..

Quick question, does the GCN version of OoT (when hooked up using the component cables) have the 'ditther' issues that you get when you hook up a N64 via S-VID?

If not, I am SOOO getting the GCN version.... dither artifcats can kiss my arse.... so much so that I go back to composite when I'm playing my N64 :(

Eh hem, well, I bought a N64 at launch, and OoT Back in the day, so in that regard I have failed :whistle2:(

However I DID get a used GCN when they had the Buy a GCN, get 1 game free a month ago, scored Twilight Princess and Resident Evil 10th Aniversary :)

So that's a wash eh? :whistle2:|

I got the zelda collection for the gc at a yard sale for $3. I also got the original OoT for a buck at a flea market. Am I a true CAG? ;)

[quote name='Mike 01Hawk']Quick question, does the GCN version of OoT (when hooked up using the component cables) have the 'ditther' issues that you get when you hook up a N64 via S-VID?

If not, I am SOOO getting the GCN version.... dither artifcats can kiss my arse.... so much so that I go back to composite when I'm playing my N64 :([/quote]

What is this "dither issue". I have a n64 (well, I'm getting it for xmas), and was going to pick up an s-video cable for it. Should I not?

[quote name='SuppaMan']It'd be like playing Mario games in the SNES Mario All-Stars pack and then saying the original's suck, even though they are the same thing (hell Mario All-Stars had more updated graphics than the Zelda 64 to GCN versions did). And seriously graphics? Please Mario on the NES has some shit ass graphics but is still a great game.[/quote]

Well, when you get use to the graphics in the Mario All-Stars version, going back to the NES versions is a little bit of a downer. Actually the main downer, and the reason that the All-Stars versions utterly stomp the NES versions, is the support of SRAM saves! Of course if you're playing in an emu with save states this doesn't matter, but on the consoles it's a big deal.

[quote name='Makaveli_The_Don']Yeah it be best to play it on N64 like it was meant to be played.

But if you already have a GameCube?? or Wii? I don't see the point on buying a N64 just for Zelda: OoT. Now if you wanna also play Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Mario 64, Zelda MM, Diddy Kong Racing, etc, etc.
[/quote]

And you should want to play all these games! Really, if you missed out on any of those games, it's worth the $20-30 you could probably get an N64 for.

If you go w/ the GC version, Master Quest is amazing. How they reworked all the puzzles without adding any new rooms to make it more challenging is genious.

[quote name='crunchewy']What is this "dither issue". I have a n64 (well, I'm getting it for xmas), and was going to pick up an s-video cable for it. Should I not?[/quote]

I have a mad-catz mutli system hookup, that has Composite (Yellow RCA) and S-Vid on one cable. As you may already know, the SNES/N64/Gamecube all use the same AV out port, so this cable can work with all 3 systems.

Composite gives an anti-alisasing quality to SNES/N64 (assuming GCN as well, but I have component for the GCN :) )

Whereas S-VID gives better defintion, and colors with a bit more 'punch', with this clarity also comes the 'dither' issue. Think of dither as looking at an image thru a screen door. Sample images and the definition can be found @ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dither

So... you have two choices when it comes to SNES/N64: Play on composite with slightly muddy/blurry colors, or play on S-video with brighter, sharper colors, but the dither issue comes into play.

This is especially noticable in games like StarFox. It's subjective, but for me, I'd almost rather 'regress' to Composite on some games.

I still have a sealed, Gold Collector's N64 Ocarina of Time that I almost forgot about in my closet. Can't find them on ebay sealed anymore, but it seems like they aren't worth much to collectors anyway. Maybe in 50 more years?? :)

bread's done
Back