NPD to cut back on the free numbers starting with the October NPD figures.

FriskyTanuki

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)
http://blog.newsweek.com/blogs/levelup/archive/2007/11/06/monday-morning-quarterback-for-september-2007.aspx

P.S. Oh, and--like Steve Jobs and Perrin Kaplan--one more thing: I'll close out on a high note, with some good scoop for this edition of MMQB. Unfortunately, this scoop will taste bittersweet, as it's also bad news for us, our fellow journalists, and forum-dwellers across North America. Beginning with the October sales data, which is due later this month, NPD is going to cut way back on what they share on a monthly basis with their non-paying customers, i.e. media.

What does this mean?

For starters, no more hardware sales data. (Can you taste the bitter tears streaming from various forums and message boards?) Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo will of course be free to release their own sales info—and presumably leak that of their competitors, if it'll make them look good—but we will no longer receive that data from NPD. Software sales figures will only be given for the Top Five SKUs, not the Top Ten as we normally receive. We'll eventually receive hardware numbers and Top Ten software numbers, but only on a quarterly and annual basis. There are signs that this may only be a temporary pullback, but for now, this is were things stand.

As you can see, this is going to make our job more difficult. But we couldn't have become upper echelon QBs if we didn't have a variety of well-placed sources embedded throughout the industry. So fear not, loyal readers. Monday Morning Quarterback may not be the world's timeliest blog feature, but we can promise you that our analysis and speculation will always be based on the most complete set of numbers we can get our hands on.

P.P.S. No, that doesn't mean that we'll be leaking a more complete set of data. We're not the Patriots here.
They finally realized how much money they're losing by giving out so much information for free.

OMG, if I get my senior project checked off today, this will seriously be the greatest day in the world. Seriously, I feel NPD only causes the worst in people because all it usually has is fanboys fighting, arguing, saying doom to a console/handheld, etc. People need to get a life instead of going crazy over sales figures IMO, and that's why I feel it's best to not share them.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']I guess we'll just have to stick with Media Create then, and pretend the western market doesnt exist.[/quote]

There ya go.

[quote name='seanr1221']Thank God. Now I can stop reading, "DURRRR My SYSTEM iz SEllING 45 M00R units dan ur SISTEM!"[/quote]Nah, you'll still read it, only now they can say it's 65, and no one will know.

I wonder though, how much does NPD charge outlets for their information? You would think that most major video game media outlets (say a Gamespot) will buy the information anyway, as long as it's reasonable. They would want to know what's selling to tailor their site.

We'll see. My guess is, after maybe a year of some shinnanigans, the companies will be compelled to release their own figures (good or bad), because if they don't, other companies will (and possibl;y embellish the numbers).

Those number release services run in the thousands, so it might not be worth it to Joystiq or someone just to get a blog post out of it. Sad. For all the fanboy riots the data incites, I still enjoy seeing how the market is changing.

[quote name='botticus']Nah, you'll still read it, only now they can say it's 65, and no one will know.[/quote]Yeah, we'll just make crap up now.

WII SOLD 4 BILLION SYSTEMS!1

PS3 SOLD NEGATIVE 3 MILLION!!!1

Thus my choice is better--and can't be proven wrong!!!!1

[quote name='The Mana Knight']OMG, if I get my senior project checked off today, this will seriously be the greatest day in the world. Seriously, I feel NPD only causes the worst in people because all it usually has is fanboys fighting, arguing, saying doom to a console/handheld, etc. People need to get a life instead of going crazy over sales figures IMO, and that's why I feel it's best to not share them.[/quote]

So should scores and rankings in games be taken away as well?

someone will leak the info, but they'll get a subpoena from NPD. Kind of like what soundscan did to urban connects for putting out the top 200 albums with sales figures every week.

[quote name='lordxixor101']I wonder though, how much does NPD charge outlets for their information? You would think that most major video game media outlets (say a Gamespot) will buy the information anyway, as long as it's reasonable. They would want to know what's selling to tailor their site.

We'll see. My guess is, after maybe a year of some shinnanigans, the companies will be compelled to release their own figures (good or bad), because if they don't, other companies will (and possibl;y embellish the numbers).[/quote]Someone on GAF said it was something like $20000. Places like IGN and other media outlets do pay for the information - they have the full range of data at their fingertips. What this decision is doing is limited the data that can be publicly reported. So even though IGN has the same info, instead of posting hardware numbers and top 10 software like they have done, they'll only be able to post top 5 software.

This is both a good and a bad thing.

Good.
Less console fervor every month when the numbers are released.
Someone else will likely step up to fill in the hole that NPD is creating.

Bad.
These numbers are good for the industry. Just like weekly box office reports in movies. After every week/month people should be talking about copies sold/money made.
Not everyone who paid attention to the NPD numbers were console fanboys.

[quote name='lebowsky']So should scores and rankings in games be taken away as well?[/QUOTE]I mostly definitely agree with that too. I feel that brings the worst in fanboys because fanboys will either brag about their game doing better than another review wise (doesn't mean it's better), and/or bashing a game on a console they don't own or like because a bad review justifies the argument. Reviews and sales are the majority of stupid arguments in gaming forums IMO.

I could care less it will stop alot of stupid rants on podcast about numbers that dont matter. As long as good games keep getting made ill be fine.

I am going to miss seeing these sales numbers a lot. Mana is just relieved that he doesn't have to suffer through seeing low PS3 numbers every month.

Now it'll just happen every quarter, instead. They are going to be releasing the same data, just not as often. 4 times a year instead of 12. Additionally, this isn't for sure yet, and if NPD doesn't see a big increase in buyers for the data, I'm sure they'll go back to releasing it just to get their name out there to those who want it. I imagine publishers are the main customers here, to be able to see how their games did and such.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']
They finally realized how much money they're losing by giving out so much information for free.[/quote]

Or it will totally blow up in NPDs face. Part of the reason NPD pulls weight in the industry is because stockholders and gamers think it does.

Companies love touting NPD sales and ranking numbers because it's an independant source and people trust it. If less information is released and on a less frequent basis people will simply look elsewhere and when the occasional NPD info is released and it conflicts with whatever their chose source is, well they might just start trusting NPD numbers a little bit less.

What NPD would be smart to do is release a 10 top list without actual sales numbers and give system sales as in the ballpark figures, like the Wii sold around a half million units last month.

[quote name='daroga']Yeah, we'll just make crap up now.[/QUOTE]

Whaddya mean, NOW!?!?!? ;)

[quote name='akilshohen']someone will leak the info, but they'll get a subpoena from NPD. Kind of like what soundscan did to urban connects for putting out the top 200 albums with sales figures every week.[/QUOTE]

Indeed. Just to specify, the subpoena won't amount to squat, as too many sources will leak the information.

[quote name='zewone']The Mana Knight is the majority of stupid arguments in gaming forums IMO.[/QUOTE]

This is true. If he simply stopped posting, I'd say %90 of the arguments here would simply vanish.

[quote name='anime5ever']ign says they'll still getting them. they'll probaly charge vistors to view them[/quote]They can't. All they can do is display the information that NPD has decided will be public data, which is top 5 software. Redistributing any other information would be a breach of contract.

[quote name='botticus']They can't. All they can do is display the information that NPD has decided will be public data, which is top 5 software. Redistributing any other information would be a breach of contract.[/quote]
Here's the direct quote:

November 7, 2007 - Yesterday the internet exploded with the news that the NPD Group would no longer be releasing monthly videogame sales data to the media. While it initially looked like the world may be at peace without sales data to fuel fanboy battles, the console wars will (for better or worse) be continuing.

The NPD Group is only halting the free data it gives out to general media. Outlets that pay for the data, like IGN, will continue to receive monthly sales figures. NPD told us it was a business decision to protect the research firm's interests.

So, not to worry. You can still look forward to monthly console wars here on IGN.

I dunno, tough call.

If IGN pays for the NPD data, wont they get sales figures for more then the top 10 games? I've always wanted to see how well 11-20 sold, but we almost never got figures for those, just positions.

[quote name='Kaijufan']If IGN pays for the NPD data, wont they get sales figures for more then the top 10 games? I've always wanted to see how well 11-20 sold, but we almost never got figures for those, just positions.[/quote]If they pay for the data, they get the sales figure for every game. Fact remains, they've always gotten all that data. Previously they were constrained to posting the top 10 software. Now they'll be constrained to posting the top 5 software.

Looked around GAF to see if the Riley had posted, and here's what he says:

[quote name='driley']My goodness, how the rumors fly. It's interesting how a simple email with N'Gai turned into this PR nightmare, so let me clarify a few things:
- NPD will continue to provide software numbers. Nothing is really changing on that front. The only thing changing is the amount of sw sales info. we provide in the monthly media spreadsheet. We provide, and will continue to provide, what media and previous agreements ask/call for (eg, Top 10 with unit sales, Top 10 for neogaf predictions)
- NPD is honoring it's original policy on distribution of hw numbers. Of course,
this information will continue to be available to clients, and it will continue to make its way into the press. NPD can verify any hw sales info. released by our clients, we're simply putting the old policy back into place to make good on our word. Clients can release their information but it's not NPD's call or responsibility to issue these numbers each month. We intend to work with our clients, not against them.
[/quote]
So in the scheme of things, it's only hardware numbers that will not be released, unless expressed in company PR.

So basically instead of NPD publishing the data, every other news site is going to publish the data, and nothing changes? Seems like that's what that last line is saying.

[quote name='jer7583']So basically instead of NPD publishing the data, every other news site is going to publish the data, and nothing changes? Seems like that's what that last line is saying.[/quote]Their clients are the publishers, in this case. So Nintendo can release a PR with Nintendo numbers, but they can't talk about MS numbers.

This is bad news. It was very interesting to see what sold each month.

hooray! Surprised Sony didn't put pressure on them to hide numbers so that they could release their own numbers as a "Playstation Brand" total and not look bad.

bread's done
Back