XBLA - The Dishwasher: Dead Samurai - 800pts

LinkinPrime

CAGiversary!
Feedback
170 (100%)
[media]http://youtube.com/watch?v=im8pSPeUorY[/media][media]http://youtube.com/watch?v=lscKqMsnpJY[/media]
One part Dishwasher, all parts violent orgy, The Dishwasher: Dead Samurai has a vicious style all its own. One of the most stylish games to come out of the Dream-Build-Play competition (and one of the winners, for that matter) The Dishwasher has been chugging along, preparing for a final release on XBLA.
Along the way we have been granted various glimpses into the world of this dishwashing rampage (read: delicious gorefest). And perhaps those earlier videos left you wanting more? If so a new trailer has just arrived that features more blood, more insane massive damage combos, and more...guitar? This new trailer displays a feature that is certainly new to me -- button-matching guitar solos. Think Boom Boom Rocket-style shredding. It's like...oh just watch the video to see.
Oh, and in case all that slashing makes you lonely -- co-op play is included as well.

http://xblarcade.com/node/1393

Game looks fucking sick!!! Definate must buy from the looks of it.

Oooh, I remember seeing this a while back. Definitely looks fun, and I am really looking forward to it. Hopefully it is like 400 MS points max since it is from one of those contests. Although, it is probably worth $10, unlike other games on XBLA:razz:

Looks interesting, but I really don't like the fact that enemies take a dozen or two hits to kill. When each and every single enemy is a pain in the ass to kill, I lose interest in a game. That's part of the reason that I don't like Ninja Gaiden, or Devil May Cry 3, or Spyro: The Eternal Night for the GBA.

Whoa. Its like Kill Bill plus Alien Hominid equals 2D Devil May Cry. Throw some Frank Miller and Matrix in there too :lol:

[quote name='CouRageouS']Whoa. Its like Kill Bill plus Alien Hominid equals 2D Devil May Cry. Throw some Frank Miller and Matrix in there too :lol:[/quote]

all that + Guitar Hero!

[quote name='Rusty Ghia']That's part of the reason that I don't like Ninja Gaiden, or Devil May Cry 3, or Spyro: The Eternal Night for the GBA.[/QUOTE]
I don't know what Spyro has been up to, but he must be doing something nuts to be grouped in the comparison :shock:

This looks like a game I'd pay $15 for. I love the black-and-white film noir look, with buckets of red splashes all over. It looks a lot like Sin City, actually.

Looks like a hell of a lot of fun.

Too much pointless blood and gore IMO. It looks pretty cool otherwise, but I won't even be downloading the trial if it has all that blood in it.

This why is they need to make xbla gamers cheaper, games being so expensive make me not want to venture out and try something that I'm not sure I'll like or not.

and yes I know about trials

[quote name='Poor2More']What is that?[/quote]

XBOX Live released XNA Community today...its where user created games can be downloaded...Dishwasher Samurai is one out of 7 games currently available through it.

this game is really good. Love the art style. They have my 10-15$

edit: holy crap x,x,x,down, x.

this game is more fun for me then DMC.

:( I really wanted to play this, but when I opened the XNA launcher, it said I needed an XNA Creators Club Subscription, so no go for me.

[quote name='mrcheapo11']:( I really wanted to play this, but when I opened the XNA launcher, it said I needed an XNA Creators Club Subscription, so no go for me.[/quote]

check the game store/all games/xna creators or w/e its called
there should be another thing saying dl this so u can play free games

I normally refuse to buy games from XBLA arcade after having some DRM issues.

But I will get this game. Demo is just awesome. Can't wait for a full release.

This game is fantastic. I replayed the story level twice with both of the weapons. Then I played the arcade levels over and over. I love the art style. I can't wait for this to come out.

This game is unbelievably awesome. It is my favorite XBLA game already and I've only played the demo. Download this game demo, now.

That's my hang-up also. The demo is 9 varieties of awesome but I'm not sure I'd want to play 12 levels of it or whatever.

It'll probably depend on price. 800 and I'll grab it, otherwise I'll pass.

This game is rather fun, but, I also did get a little bored with it. Might get it for 800, definitely for 400 Ms points. I just wish I could have done a story mode mission with the teleport ability.

[quote name='mrcheapo11']This game is rather fun, but, I also did get a little bored with it. Might get it for 800, definitely for 400 Ms points. I just wish I could have done a story mode mission with the teleport ability.[/QUOTE]

Replay the story level after you beat it once, and you can play it with the teleport ability.

I like this game, but it seems like it will get old pretty quick. To be honest, it's not like this game pulled anything new out. There are tons of flash games on Addictinggames (for example) that carry this type of game. It's a good game, but I wouldn't buy it for $8. For $4, it's probably a buy. Like I said before, it's nothing new. There have been tons of games like this.

The gameplay is actually pretty deep. Played on arcade and played around with the skulls (not sure what they do), the sythes, swords, machine gun, shotgun. Pretty damn fun. Especially fun to switch weapons mid combo.

I think it will also support co-op over live.

BTW - The title of this thread should read "XNA" not XBLM, to be accurate. XBLM makes casual glancers look for it in typical places, and they won't find it there.

[quote name='Chronotrigga']I like this game, but it seems like it will get old pretty quick. To be honest, it's not like this game pulled anything new out. There are tons of flash games on Addictinggames (for example) that carry this type of game. It's a good game, but I wouldn't buy it for $8. For $4, it's probably a buy. Like I said before, it's nothing new. There have been tons of games like this.[/QUOTE]
This. I though the game was ok, but I was already getting kind of bored with it before the first level ended.

I was thinking, would it be bad if this game was released as an XNA game vs an XBLA game? I hope this comes to XBLA in its complete version. I just have a feeling the XNA pricing/sub might make this thing cost too much.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']This. I though the game was ok, but I was already getting kind of bored with it before the first level ended.[/QUOTE]
I was bored with the first level too but the Arcade modes showed more variety. If it has a lot of upgrades and lots more weapons to discover, I could see it having a lot of life.

[quote name='seanr1221']I got the XNA tools but can't launch them :[[/quote]

What happens when you try to launch?

For clarification, you download XNA, you go to your Games blade/Game Library/Wait for XNA option to come up/Hightlight it and Press Y to go to download page/Download XNA games/Play XNA games

[quote name='LinkinPrime']What happens when you try to launch?

For clarification, you download XNA, you go to your Games blade/Game Library/Wait for XNA option to come up/Hightlight it and Press Y to go to download page/Download XNA games/Play XNA games[/QUOTE]

Ah THAT'S what I was doing wrong.

Thanks LP :applause:

EDIT: Wait, I don't see a place to push Y...I feel really stupid right now. I'm missing something obvious.

[quote name='seanr1221']Ah THAT'S what I was doing wrong.

Thanks LP :applause:

EDIT: Wait, I don't see a place to push Y...I feel really stupid right now. I'm missing something obvious.[/QUOTE]

there's a video in the marketplace on how to launch these.

[quote name='bigdsinferno']there's a video in the marketplace on how to launch these.[/QUOTE]lol, what the hell... it's like they went out of their way to made this more complicated than it needs to be. When you need an instructional video to launch a demo, something ain't right![quote name='CouRageouS']I was thinking, would it be bad if this game was released as an XNA game vs an XBLA game? I hope this comes to XBLA in its complete version. I just have a feeling the XNA pricing/sub might make this thing cost too much.[/QUOTE]I had been under the impression that no one really sees an XNA game until it gets certified by Microsoft and published on XBLA. But since these trial games are breaking the XBLA size limit, even in demo form, it's possible that they're meant to occupy some different sector of LIVE. The size issue is pretty puzzling in itself though - why would homebrew developers get more space to work with on a downloadable title than Capcom or Konami?

Oh and I'm pretty sure the subscription fee is only for XNA developers. You wouldn't need a subscription to buy an XNA game once Microsoft publishes it. I think the subscription would allow you to join the "developer community" and play anything that's still in the development process though, if I'm understanding correctly, which is pretty cool.

Update...
Coming Soon - The Dishwasher: Dead Samurai

As many of you know may know, it’s been over a year since James E. Silva won the XNA Dream Build Play competition with his game, The Dishwasher: Dead Samurai - a stylistic action platformer for XBLA which showcases non-stop action, deep gameplay, and a unique visual style. The story revolves around an undead samurai dishwasher in a dystopian universe on a quest for revenge against the evil cyborg army.

The wait is almost over and we’re proud to share with you some more details below, straight from James himself!

1) Killer Solos Minigame:
- After I got addicted to Guitar Hero and Rock Band, I ended up a bit curious to see what it would be like to implement my own rhythm minigame. The one in The Dishwasher proved to be such a hit that I kept it in there. You can beat Killer Solos to earn Psycho Picks, which you use to upgrade your stuff. You can play solos with either a gamepad or guitar peripheral (Rock Band and Guitar Hero work fine).

- You can also earn Psycho Picks in Time Attack challenges, where you have to kill a certain number of enemies in a short amount of time (duh).

2) Phantom Guitar:
- After finding the Amulet of Phantom Rock, you'll be able to have a friend plug in a guitar and help out as the Phantom Guitar. The Phantom Guitar player can lock onto enemies with the whammy bar, play notes and chords to deal damage, and do a death-dealing spinning attack by lifting the guitar. You can also make your own music this way, but I won't be surprised if the new Guitar Hero does a slightly better job in this department.

3) Massive Damage, Massive Combos
- The more damage you can deal before your combo meter runs out, the higher your score will be. Compete with the rest of the world in 50 Arcade Challenges, the Dish Challenge level, and the Tourney Solo Campaign. Hit 100 million in an arcade level, there's an achievement in it for you! Look for The Dishwasher: Dead Samurai in the months to come, exclusive for Xbox LIVE Arcade.

Stuart Platt, XBLA Producer
http://gamerscoreblog.com/team/archive/2008/10/27/562110.aspx

Sick!!! Can't wait for this...Phantom Guitar sounds like an awesome mode too!

bread's done
Back