Looking for a good Dreamcast boot disc...

misbitski

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
Don't buy it here:

http://www.videogamedeals.com/product_info.php/products_id/510

It's a (poor) copy of the freely available Utopia boot CD, and an old version of it at that. The insert is a B&W printed insert, different from what is shown on the website. Look elsewhere and save yourself the $$$. You can make a better boot disc with a CD burner and color inkjet. Unfortunately, no refunds are available on this item, so don't get shafted like I did.

That being said, it does work and boots imports, but why pay for something you can get free?

I hate to post bad stuff about VideoGameDeals and Defender, since I've bought a handful of things from him. He's got some nice rarities on his site, but this is just weak. I was told no refund either (after I mailed it back).

[quote name='magilacudy']Why'd you buy it in the first place if you knew you could get it for free?[/quote]

Yeah, good question. :?:

The boot disc I sell is for those not wishing to worry about downloading, finding, and burning a boot disc. Its not suppose to be some fancy CD.

Like you said...it works.

The problem with free is that you get what you pay for. Are you sure that when you are searching warez site after warez site that you are not downloading viruses instead. Also burning DC isos can be a pain for some people.

Like I said...we sell them as a convenience. For many customers that buy an import in the store we give them for free or for very cheap.

I will also not give refunds on a product like this. You more than likely just copied it once you got it. That's not fair. I havent got the CD back yet either..when did you send it? When I do get it back I will offer you a credit toward another item. I hope thats cool.

I think that it would be better if the description would specify that you are only getting a burned copy of a disk, as people order stuff from your store they expect it to be new and certainly not just a burned disk.

From what I understand, the disc is illegal. It was created using an unlicensed Sega software development kit and iuses unlicensed (read: pirated) code and libraries owned by Sega, NEC, and other companies. Defender, I'd suggest you stop giving or selling those discs.. I'm sure you had the right intentions. Not many people know the Utopia disc is illegal.

Actually, no I didn't copy it because that would have been ridiculously underhanded, not to mention it's an old version.

It can be found on DC Homebrew sites. It was actually hacked because the Utopia loading screen normally says something along the lines of "If you paid for this, you got ripped off". I figured I would share with the CAG community and you, Defender, in case you wanted to stop stocking it. I don't think it's fair to sell that to consumers, at least not for $10. I really expected something along the lines of DC-X, but I took a risk. I ended up ordering one from Lik Sang after returning this CD.

I didn't know it was a knockoff when I ordered, nor did I realize the Utopia boot CD is available for free. There are supposedly better, free boot loaders available if you decide to not go the commercial route. Unfortunately, I didn't get to really research it until after placing the order, but thanks for everybody's cynicism and accusations.

Defender, I sent the disc back about a week ago and actually got an automated response from your returns department that it was received. I responded and said I was willing to take store credit. I think you run a good business and carry some cool rarities. I just felt the boot disc was bad merchandise.

I would suggest using the Cheats 'n Codes disc (I think that's what it's called). I used it for my Dreamcast imports. Also, the Utopia disc doesn't boot certain imports like Super SF2X while the CnC disc does.

nathan_the_rock : Exactly my thinking. Imagine my surprise when the insert looked like it was photocopied and wasn't even in color. No CD label either. It's a generic CD-R.

staraang21: I definitely didn't realize that. I thought the software was public domain, that's why I was questioning the legality of selling the Utopia CD. Is DC-X also illegal? I just need something to boot my 4 import games.

Defender, I just got the store credit. Thank you for doing that and taking me on my word. You just kept yourself a customer, and I look forward to buying stuff from you in the future.

[quote name='misbitski']nathan_the_rock : Exactly my thinking. Imagine my surprise when the insert looked like it was photocopied and wasn't even in color. No CD label either. It's a generic CD-R.

staraang21: I definitely didn't realize that. I thought the software was public domain, that's why I was questioning the legality of selling the Utopia CD. Is DC-X also illegal? I just need something to boot my 4 import games.[/quote]

DC-X is legal.. pretty much why it was sold in stores like EB and/or Gamestop. I haven't used it myself but I've heard good things about it. Cheats 'n Codes is very good and I think it's cheaper than DC-X. I got mine off eBay for about $8 shipped. Either of those should work just fine, though.
Also, Utopia was "released" to the public by a bunch of hackers.. it became so widespread, people just assumed it was legal, which it is not.

OK, I'll stick with my DC-X from Lik Sang then since it's legal. I remember seeing them at Gamestop when they were selling the imported version of Shenmue 2 for DC. Thanks for your help Staraang21.

I picked up a DC import converter boot disc by Innovation at Gamestop last year for $5, and I haven't had any problem with it (plays all my Japan imports so far). It does have a top and bottom side to the disc (not a CDR), but the instructions were indeed photocopied. I didn't know something similar was available free online, but I don't have a CD burner either. What I bought has worked well for me, but I'm also glad I didn't pay much money for it (much less waste my time with a mod chip).

I hate to say this but YOU are the one at fault here. You obviously made a poor decision since you knew you could get it for free elsewhere. Just because you paid for something doesn't mean you are always going to like what you paid for. How many shitty movies have you seen at the theater in your life? I'm sure there have been plenty.

Daphatty apparently can't read. I didn't know I could find it free elsewhere until AFTER I purchased this illegal copy. I also didn't realize that Utopia was illegal until Staraang chimed in.

For anybody still reading this bad thread, Lik-sang.com sells the *LEGAL* DC-X boot loader discs for $15. They come in a DVD case and are made of good quality materials.

There's a big difference with paying for something illegal and blatantly geting ripped off than going to see bad movie. I wouldn't ask for my money back if a movie was bad. Stay away from analogies, they're not your strong suit.

bread's done
Back