WTF? My wii still won't connect to the internet! Please help

basketkase543

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I just got my Wii on Friday and have been trying crazily to connect it to my wifi connection that goes with EVERY OTHER ITEM I need it to except the Wii. Every time I try to connect to my D-Link D-624 router, it gives me the same error messages:

Error Code: 51331
Unable to connect to the Internet. Choose Internet settings and then confirm your connection.

I've tried many different kinds of troubleshooting, including writing to Nintendo and they just told me to contact my router's manufacturer.

Here's my info:
Router: D-Link DI-624
Security: WPA2-PSK AES
Channel: 1
Broadcasting in: B and G

I've tried the following:
- manually assigning my ip address instead of having the wii choose it automatically
- changing the channels to both 1 and 11
- Filling out everything manually including SID
- Turning off MAC Filtering
- Gently caressing it and wooing it with soft music

And so far nothing has worked. Anybody have any ideas?

[quote name='basketkase543']
Here's my info:
Router: D-Link DI-624
Security: WPA2-PSK AES
Channel: 1
Broadcasting in: B and G

And so far nothing has worked. Anybody have any ideas?[/quote]

Hmm. Well, your router info. looks fine. I know it said you did before, but I would switch (and keep) channel 11. Seems to work best when you do eventually get everything going. Plus, stock routers start on channel 1 most of the time, so this can stop interference.

On your Wii, DHCP settings should connect to your router, assuming it is compatible with the Wii. Maybe check around other message boards and see if anybody else has this router.

As far as that goes, the only other thing I could think of is that you aren't putting in your key correctly, or putting in the wrong security type on the Wii.

I googled my router and wii issues and didn't come up with anything too specific. As for the WPA key, after spending too much time re-inputting the key over and over again just to make sure I got it right, i did a sample small 10 digit key just to try a temporary short code and see if it would work but it didn't.

Right now, for the first time, I tried changing the security settings to WEP and it actually connected. But I hate WEP and that's why I never go online with my DS anymore--too much of a risk. So it looks like it's a speciic problem with the WPA/WPA2 encryption. I'm downloading a system update under WEP, maybe I'll get lucky and it will have a fix for my online issues.

For some reason, my Wii will connect fine but now my DS wont. Is there a way for me to register it with the Nintendo Wifi connector?

i had a NetGear router a few months ago and a Verizon router as well and both didn't work well. I got one from Linksys and the Wii connects to the net like a beaut!

That is very weird that it would connect under WEP, but not under WPA/WPA2.
I wouldn't recommend WEP either.

Maybe there's a firmware update for your router? I'd get the latest firmware, if you haven't already, and try that.

I also can't connect to the internet. I'm pretty sure it's my router. If you change router channels, does that do anything different to your internet connection?

[quote name='Chronotrigga']I also can't connect to the internet. I'm pretty sure it's my router. If you change router channels, does that do anything different to your internet connection?[/quote]
Router channels are used to keep other users from interfering. Since everyone around you is probably using wireless Internet access, your signals could collide and cause errors.

By changing the channel, you basically move your wireless signal to a channel that is different from theirs, which allows multiple people to connect without collisions. There are 11 channels for 802.11; most routers at default start on channel 1. So, if you and your neighbors are all using channel 1, it's possible that some data collisions may occur.

To prevent this, it's best to change the channel to something less common. 11 is a good fit, because it seems to work fine with Wii/DS users. If you are switching from channel 1, I recommend 6 and 11, because those channels produce no collisions between each other (you could have a channel 1 and 6 router very close to each other, and no interference would occur, for example).

And no, changing the channel won't affect your Internet connection.

As far as the router firmware goes, the router's been discontinued and I have the most recent firmware for it.

I just checked recently and I am actually able to connect using WPA encryption but as soon as I change it to WPA2 encryption, the Wii is not able to connect to the router. So I think it might definitely be a WPA2 thing. Is there a big difference, security-wise, between the two types of security? Would I be overly compromising my net security if I opted for WPA over WPA2?

[quote name='basketkase543']As far as the router firmware goes, the router's been discontinued and I have the most recent firmware for it.

I just checked recently and I am actually able to connect using WPA encryption but as soon as I change it to WPA2 encryption, the Wii is not able to connect to the router. So I think it might definitely be a WPA2 thing. Is there a big difference, security-wise, between the two types of security? Would I be overly compromising my net security if I opted for WPA over WPA2?[/quote]

WPA2 is definitely recommended, if you can get it to work. WPA has been cracked before, but it can be heavily reduced if your passphrase is a good one (multiple letters/numbers/symbols/caps). Definitely don't have a dictionary word, and make it something very long.

Since it is only not working in WPA2, I would guess that it is indeed a problem with your router. But since you were already using WPA2, and I assume other hardware could connect, then I could be wrong.

You said it was discontinued, but maybe there's third-party firmware out there that could help you? I know many people make custom firmware for Linksys routers; I would assume they do the same for D-Link.

Nintendo's Website said:
WEP and WPA/WPA2 encryption
The Wii is compatible with WEP, WPA and WPA2 encryption methods if you wish to enable wireless security on your router.
There are several different WPA variations. The Wii is compatible with:

WPA - PSK (TKIP)
WPA - PSK (AES)
WPA2 - PSK (AES)
I don't really know what the PSK (AES) means, but your router might not do that or something.

There was a DS thread in which a user wanted to be able to get his DS online, but he didn't want to change his security settings to WEP for a long period of time. In his case, he had a Linksys router. The Linksys models allow you to save your current router configuration to a file and restore back to those settings at any time.

If your router supports something like this, you could save your WPA2 settings to a file, change your router to use WPA (and make sure your Wii connects successfully), and then save that configuration to a file.

That way when you want to go online with your Wii, you could simply apply the WPA setting to your router. When you are done playing, you just change your setting back to WPA2.

I really don't get all the paranoia people have about their wireless routers. WPA is better than nothing, which is what 95% of all other wireless users have. If someone is going to try to hijack your wireless, you better believe they are going to hit Joe Internet who has no security than bother trying to break your WPA key.

Well, I was finally able to connect to the Wii Shop channel without any errors. My current router channel was at 06, so I changed it to 11. Downloading Check Mii Out as I speak. Hopefully, it will fully download. Will edit accordingly.

Edit: Downloaded Check Mii Out! Internet seems to work fine. :D

[quote name='lebowsky']
I really don't get all the paranoia people have about their wireless routers. WPA is better than nothing, which is what 95% of all other wireless users have. If someone is going to try to hijack your wireless, you better believe they are going to hit Joe Internet who has no security than bother trying to break your WPA key.[/quote]
95%? Go on a wardrive. There are so many open routers around! I'm willing to bet more people have no security enabled on their wireless routers than those that do have protection (especially since most routers have no security turned on at setup).

As for the "paranoia," it's just because most routers these days have both WPA and WPA2. WPA can be cracked, whereas WPA2 cannot (as long as your use passphrase guidelines). Why settle for the less secure WPA when you can do WPA2?

EDIT: As far as breaking a WPA passphrase, if it is something generic/easy (like "password") it can be cracked in just a few minutes. Even "passw0rd" and such are too easy. If a hacker thinks somebody on the connection has something they want, they will take the small amount of time to get in.

Oh, and I go to school for Telecommunications Management, which might be why I sound kinda paranoid about it. :lol:

[quote name='blackbird3216']hey, would it be wrong to use WPA if i currently have a 64digit Passphase with random letters, and an ssid of 32 digits(also random?)[/quote]

If you can't use WPA2, then definitely stick with WPA. If it's possible to make the switch, I would (it's nothing more than a quick change of options).

Still, it sounds like you have a very secure system; you should be good.

You can also hide your SSID, if you haven't already. A decent hacker could still sniff packets to find the hidden SSID, but it prevent lower level hackers (or neighbors :lol: ) from even knowing you're around.

[quote name='Rig']95%? Go on a wardrive. There are so many open routers around! I'm willing to bet more people have no security enabled on their wireless routers than those that do have protection (especially since most routers have no security turned on at setup).

As for the "paranoia," it's just because most routers these days have both WPA and WPA2. WPA can be cracked, whereas WPA2 cannot (as long as your use passphrase guidelines). Why settle for the less secure WPA when you can do WPA2?

EDIT: As far as breaking a WPA passphrase, if it is something generic/easy (like "password") it can be cracked in just a few minutes. Even "passw0rd" and such are too easy. If a hacker thinks somebody on the connection has something they want, they will take the small amount of time to get in.

Oh, and I go to school for Telecommunications Management, which might be why I sound kinda paranoid about it. :lol:[/quote]

I guess my phrasing was awkward, but I meant that 95% of users have no security, not that 95% were using WPA. I know better than that ;)

My in-laws recently switched to Verizon's FIOS and I was surprised that the installer actually set up wireless security on the router. It was only WEP, but I expected nothing.

bread's done
Back