Democrats want to destroy students computers.

VanillaGorilla

CAGiversary!
Feedback
18 (100%)
http://www.news.com/Democrats-Colleges-must-police-copyright%2C-or-else/2100-1028_3-6217943.html?tag

New federal legislation says universities must agree to provide not just deterrents but also "alternatives" to peer-to-peer piracy, such as paying monthly subscription fees to the music industry for their students, on penalty of losing all financial aid for their students.

Defend this one, Liberals. Surely you find no problem with the government taking away financial aid for kids who need it, who might not even OWN computers, just so the big record labels can keep imposing their strongarm tactics.

[quote name='Koggit']Offering alternatives to file sharing is the same as policing file sharing?

What?[/quote]:applause:

"According to the bill, if universities did not agree to test "technology-based deterrents to prevent such illegal activity," all of their students--even ones who don't own a computer--would lose federal financial aid." So, if you don't do as we say, we will hit you with penalties. Sounds like policing to me.

What?

The article is written to make it sound worse than it is. Here is the section in the bill:

‘‘(1) make publicly available to their students
22 and employees, the policies and procedures related to
23 the illegal downloading and distribution of copy
24 righted materials required to be disclosed under sec
25 tion 485(a)(1)(P); and

H.L.C.
1 ‘‘(2) develop a plan for offering alternatives to
2 illegal downloading or peer-to-peer distribution of in
3 tellectual property as well as a plan to explore tech
4 nology-based deterrents to prevent such illegal activ
5 ity.

So as it is written the universities have to "develop a plan for offering alternatives" which really means barely anything. They're required to have nothing but a plan. Even so it will probably still be revised, it was only introduced, they haven't even done anything with it yet.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']:applause:

"According to the bill, if universities did not agree to test "technology-based deterrents to prevent such illegal activity," all of their students--even ones who don't own a computer--would lose federal financial aid." So, if you don't do as we say, we will hit you with penalties. Sounds like policing to me.

What?[/QUOTE]

Testing "technology-based deterrents to prevent such illegal activity" is not wanting colleges "to police file sharing."

I'm sorry that your thread fails. I wish it didn't fail. I really do. It's okay, you can cry about it. Just not here.

[quote name='Koggit']Testing "technology-based deterrents to prevent such illegal activity" is not wanting colleges "to police file sharing."

I'm sorry that your thread fails. I wish it didn't fail. I really do. It's okay, you can cry about it. Just not here.[/quote]Wow dude, that was a super witty response. You sir, are awesome. :applause:

The RIAA has committed so many heinous acts, and the Dems probably support the RIAA more then the Republicans.

But both sides have members that are bought-and-paid-for by the RIAA - just look at Orinn Hatch (Republican), who has no problem with physically destroying the computers of anyone who violates copyright law.

If we can find some way to do this without destroying their machines, we'd be interested in hearing about that.
If that's the only way, then I'm all for destroying their machines. If you have a few hundred thousand of those, I think people would realize (the seriousness of their actions).
There's no excuse for anyone violating copyright laws.
- Orinn Hatch
http://www.digitalsurvivors.com/journal/000525.php

No excuse? Kids, when someone starts talking in absolutes, it's typically a good sign that they're full of :bs:

I'm sure this has nothing to do with the fact that the labels bankrolled his political campaigns and CDs Yes this guy has a few CDs, including

"My God is Love"
"America United"
"How His Glory Shines"

Just check out the bitchin cover art:

americaunited.gif

healland.jpg

mygod.jpg

[quote name='SpazX']The article is written to make it sound worse than it is. Here is the section in the bill:

‘‘(1) make publicly available to their students
22 and employees, the policies and procedures related to
23 the illegal downloading and distribution of copy
24 righted materials required to be disclosed under sec
25 tion 485(a)(1)(P); and

H.L.C.
1 ‘‘(2) develop a plan for offering alternatives to
2 illegal downloading or peer-to-peer distribution of in
3 tellectual property as well as a plan to explore tech
4 nology-based deterrents to prevent such illegal activ
5 ity.

So as it is written the universities have to "develop a plan for offering alternatives" which really means barely anything. They're required to have nothing but a plan. Even so it will probably still be revised, it was only introduced, they haven't even done anything with it yet.[/quote]

Ya know, when I saw you the OP was, I almost knew that the thread title was a gross misinterpretation of what was going on. I was right.

[quote name='evanft']Ya know, when I saw you the OP was, I almost knew that the thread title was a gross misinterpretation of what was going on. I was right.[/quote]If I wanted to make a completely true, accurate thread title, I could always rename this one "Evanft is a pompous pole smoker."

If you want to stop filesharing just share a bunch of files labeled "Gwen Stefani" that really have Orinn Hatch singing "Our God is an Awesome God!"

Sooooo...why hasn't this been locked yet? VaginaDentata was clearly wrong in his interpretation of the bill, as SpazX has shown, and he has a history of making absolutely horrible posts (and podcasts, for that matter). So the only attractive option I can see at this point would be to lock the thread and pretend it never existed.

[quote name='evanft']Sooooo...why hasn't this been locked yet? VaginaDentata was clearly wrong in his interpretation of the bill, as SpazX has shown, and he has a history of making absolutely horrible posts (and podcasts, for that matter). So the only attractive option I can see at this point would be to lock the thread and pretend it never existed.[/quote]Yes, because your awesome, insightful posts of "Mine's Better" , "I really give a shit!!!"and "Ignore List +1" are so brilliant. If I actually looked, I could probably find that half of YOUR posts are just whiny complaints about how crappy other peoples posts are. Maybe you should create your own forum, where you are the only one allowed, that way, the only one making dumbass posts would be yourself.

Ignore list +1.

[quote name='camoor']If you want to stop filesharing just share a bunch of files labeled "Gwen Stefani" that really have Orinn Hatch singing "Our God is an Awesome God!"[/quote]

I think having Stefani as the music in it in the first place would be deterrent enough. :lol:

[quote name='Hex']I think having Stefani as the music in it in the first place would be deterrent enough. :lol:[/QUOTE]

This post is bananas, B-A-N-A-N-A-S.

bread's done
Back