Confirmed - DivX coming to PS3

The Mana Knight

CAGiversary!
Feedback
41 (100%)
TOKYO & SAN DIEGO, Nov 13, 2007 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- DIVX | charts | news | PowerRating -- DivX, Inc. (NASDAQIVX) today announced that DivX(R) video technology will be integrated into PLAYSTATION(R)3 (PS3(TM)) from Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCE). The popular computer entertainment system will be added to the ecosystem of devices that currently support DivX video playback. To date, over 100 million DivX Certified(R) products have been shipped into the market, and it is anticipated PS3 will significantly expand that number.

"We are excited to work with Sony Computer Entertainment to bring DivX to PS3," said Kevin Hell, CEO of DivX, Inc. "Our technology will expand the multimedia functionality of PS3 by enabling users to enjoy access to the broad library of content in the DivX digital media format."

Products that bear the DivX Certified logo have undergone a rigorous testing program to ensure a high-quality DivX media experience that includes reliable video playback and excellent visual quality. DivX is currently working to certify PS3 and deliver a superior digital media technology to consumers in the near future. Current PS3 end users will be able to add DivX functionality to their systems via a separate system software update at a forthcoming date. PS3 game title developers will be able to utilize DivX's decoder technology by updating the system software of PS3's Software Development Kit to version 2.00, which was released by SCE on November 2nd.

To learn about DivX technology, please visit http://www.divx.com.

http://www.tradingmarkets.com/.site/news/Stock News/817096/

Definitely great news and Sony continues to add functionality to their console.

Woah!!! This just adds to the reasons why to own a PS3. 1. Blu-ray. 2. Divx! Woot!

Sad thing though, Xbox 360 will be getting Divx as well I'm sure, lol. But hey, you gotta do something with your $600 paper weight, and watching movies is the best thing! :lol:

[quote name='GizmoGC']Woah!!! This just adds to the reasons why to own a PS3. 1. Blu-ray. 2. Divx! Woot!

Sad thing though, Xbox 360 will be getting Divx as well I'm sure, lol. But hey, you gotta do something with your $600 paper weight, and watching movies is the best thing! :lol:[/QUOTE]

Something slipped the other day about DivX on the 360 but was quickly shot down/retracted.

[quote name='y2kenjination']Shaweet...now I can watch my por-- I mean, anime on my PS3.[/quote]

yeah in high def.

[quote name='GizmoGC']Woah!!! This just adds to the reasons why to own a PS3. 1. Blu-ray. 2. Divx! Woot!

Sad thing though, Xbox 360 will be getting Divx as well I'm sure, lol. But hey, you gotta do something with your $600 paper weight, and watching movies is the best thing! :lol:[/quote]

Why do you do this in every thread? If you don't think the PS3 has any good games, fine, but shut the hell up and stop ruining every thread with your "paperweight" argument.

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']Why do you do this in every thread? If you don't think the PS3 has any good games, fine, but shut the hell up and stop ruining every thread with your "paperweight" argument.[/QUOTE]He's the biggest troll at CAG in the PS3 forum. I learned to ignore him long ago, which is why I don't bother with his posts. ;)

[quote name='VipFREAK']I'll be happy when they add AVI.[/QUOTE]

Um, have you not looked at the file extension of a Divx file? AVI my friend.

I've been streaming divx, xvid, mkv, ogm,h264 and everything and the kitchen sink on my 6 year old modded 200 dollar xbox. The modded xbox has to be the best multimedia player of the last decade. I think I'll cry when it finally dies.

Sad thing though, Xbox 360 will be getting Divx as well I'm sure, lol. But hey, you gotta do something with your $600 paper weight, and watching movies is the best thing! :lol:[/QUOTE]

absolutely pitiful.....

[quote name='sparklecopy']I've been streaming divx, xvid, mkv, ogm,h264 and everything and the kitchen sink on my 6 year old modded 200 dollar xbox. The modded xbox has to be the best multimedia player of the last decade. I think I'll cry when it finally dies.[/quote]

Really? I've heard that it can't handle most h.264 files, due to its relatively slow processor. I hope either the 360 or the PS3 eventually gets an XBMC-like media player. I just want to get the damned computer out of my living room.

[quote name='elmyra']Really? I've heard that it can't handle most h.264 files, due to its relatively slow processor. I hope either the 360 or the PS3 eventually gets an XBMC-like media player. I just want to get the damned computer out of my living room.[/quote]

I have an Xbox, and it can handle some h.264 files, but for the most part, it plays them with major skipping/slowdown/stuttering. Rewinding or fastwording also causes it to crash. Funny how an iPod Nano can play those files but not an Xbox.

The 360 and the PS3 will never be as robust as XBMC. There's no money in it for MS/Sony to do so.

My dumb thought of the day:

PS3 BitTorrent. Just like folding@home, but it downloads torrents instead. Sony can market a PS3 with a huge harddrive, and I'll probably never turn it off.

[quote name='elmyra']Really? I've heard that it can't handle most h.264 files, due to its relatively slow processor. I hope either the 360 or the PS3 eventually gets an XBMC-like media player. I just want to get the damned computer out of my living room.[/QUOTE]
yeah it doesn't play most but then again most computers have trouble with 1080p h.264 too. still, xbmc has been the best thing I ever paid to get modded. I'm waiting for someone to crack the ps3 and add our own codecs.

So was Divx supposed to be included in the 2.0 update???

I hope I was reading that right.

If so, has anyone been able to confirm it?

[quote name='Inf^Shini']So was Divx supposed to be included in the 2.0 update???

I hope I was reading that right.

If so, has anyone been able to confirm it?[/quote]

Sounds like it's going to be a seperate download from the DIVX site to actually get divx to work.

[quote name='Halo05']What the hell, TMK is still banned. I miss his insane rantings. Unban him post-haste.[/quote]

Yea, it's just not the same without him :/

His length wasn't the problem (though it was very annoying), it was just how crazy he was.

He was on the edge of reality and some fantasy world where Sony is his mother and it's his sworn duty to protect her from "Xbox people" & "Wii60 fanboys" spreading "FUD".

[quote name='zewone']His length wasn't the problem (though it was very annoying), it was just how crazy he was.

He was on the edge of reality and some fantasy world where Sony is his mother and it's his sworn duty to protect her from "Xbox people" & "Wii60 fanboys" spreading "FUD".[/quote]

I actually found his posts entertaining, and I'm sad to see him banned.

TMK was actually banned for being a fanboy? Yet one of the new Mods is a Microsoft employee masquerading as a game fan? That's idiotic. (Watch me get banned now).

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']There are people on this forum much worse than him and it's sad to see him gone.[/QUOTE]
Show me one other person who said they would kill themselves if Sony left the gaming business.

Show me one other person who said they get thier feelings hurt when someone spreads "FUD" against Sony.

[quote name='getmyrunon']TMK was actually banned for being a fanboy? Yet one of the new Mods is a Microsoft employee masquerading as a game fan? That's idiotic. (Watch me get banned now).[/QUOTE]

fuck whoever banned TMK... that was straight wrong. btw who banned him?

[quote name='zewone']Show me one other person who said they would kill themselves if Sony left the gaming business.

Show me one other person who said they get thier feelings hurt when someone spreads "FUD" against Sony.[/quote]

No, but I will show you people who love everything and everything microsoft and who hate Blu-ray and the PS3 just because they are made by Sony, and therefore degrade the games on them for that very reason. I have seen people go into the PS3 forum just to troll and stir up trouble and the format war thread and such. I never saw ManaKnight troll, just post his opinion. Trolling > Fanboyism.
And I have never seen those posts so I can attest to those being true.

[quote name='Thomas96']fuck whoever banned TMK... that was straight wrong. btw who banned him?[/quote]

Deifnately wasnt Fud JR, i mean LinkinPrime

:p.

bread's done
Back