Clone PS2 Memory Cards @ DX $8.95-$12.44 Free Shipping

Cao Cao

CAGiversary!
I figured that with Fire Pro Wrestling Returns coming out this week, some folk'll want an extra mule memory card to transfer CAWs to their game save, along with their AR/CB/GS to download the CAW saves. DealExtreme has what looks like some clone PS2 memory cards available for sale that sound like they might be worth a try for this purpose, in lieu of the more expensive official 8MB PS2 memory card.

8MB - $12.44
16MB - $8.95
64MB - $10.68

Are MagicGate cards at all reliable? I've had problems with third party memory cards in the past, and don't want to lose any more saves to a shitty off-brand card.

In for 16mb. Its either spend 8.95 on a 6pack of decent beer, or be able to give Richlough his mem card back...... decisions decisions....

[quote name='CaoPi']I never heard of deal extreme are they reliable?[/QUOTE]
Reliable, yes, get what you pay for, yes. So buy with caution.

If you're truly cheap and hard-pressed for cash and you've got PS2 games staring you down, it might be good. But when it comes to something volatile like memory, I tend to stick with first party brands.

I've bought from Dealextreme in the past and their items are knockoffs; although they shipped promptly, you do get what you pay for as BigDirty said.

[quote name='Caliburn']If you're truly cheap and hard-pressed for cash and you've got PS2 games staring you down, it might be good. But when it comes to something volatile like memory, I tend to stick with first party brands.[/quote]
Same here. I've hard that MadCatz PS2 cards are fine, but have heard mixed reports at best about any other third-party PS2 memory cards.

I have gotten screwed over twice by off brand memory cards, once for ps1 and once for ps2. The sad thing was when the ps1 happened I called them up and their response was "yea that happens sometimes" WTF? I lost all my FF7, Wild Arms, Jet Moto(had all the courses unlocked which took forever), data and other games. I was on a marathon RE2 session and turned it off to go eat dinner and when I came back all the data was gone.

Long story short
DO NOT BUY OFFBRAND MEMORY CARDS... please

[quote name='Bubbakja']
Long story short
DO NOT BUY OFFBRAND MEMORY CARDS... please
[/quote] [FONT=&quot]SECONDED![/FONT]

Same thing with me and one of those Super Mega Memory PLUS+ Pages PS1 card. Only recoverable save was in a "I'm soooo screwed, need to restart" spot.

Now the only 3rd party "card" I will get is some PC-to/from-Console ones. Plus with the PS2, they come in handy whenever you get a darned "data corrupted, can't delete" error(both Gameshark and Action Replay Max have it, why on earth didn't Sony think to have a reformat option built in?). And another benefit besides backing up progress is being able to download unlocked saves of junk I don't want to bother with....

Of course these can be just as unreliable, I had a Mad Catz PS1 one that the somewhat buggy PC software would erase your card or make your saves worthless. But have had no problems with my Dreamcast, Gamecube, and PS2 ones...

Back on topic, Mad Catz's Gamecube memory card(8 MB I think? Whatever before the 150 block ones) was fine and didn't give me any problems. I still wouldn't trust any unlicensed, not standard(i.e. more memory then a normal PS2 card) 3rd party cards.

[quote name='BigDirty']Reliable, yes, get what you pay for, yes. So buy with caution.[/quote]

Not really, i mean sure it's cheap but DX sell good items and if it's bad they'll replace it IIRC

Well I tend to agree with cards that are the same size, but cmon, I'd rather buy one 64mb knockoff (wow, that does look legitimate, I like that), then eight 8mb cards.

[quote name='gtrmp']Same here. I've hard that MadCatz PS2 cards are fine, but have heard mixed reports at best about any other third-party PS2 memory cards.[/quote]

Yes, I've hard that too! :lol:

I'v never had a problem with Madcatz mem cards- intec and other brands for 3rd party? oh hell yes there have been headaches ( FF7,FF8, Suikoden 1,2,3 all 108 stars-I'll pass on this.

I don't get how this is even legal. Their pictures show the cards marked as Sony Computer Entertainment and Magic Gate. The customer pictures show the packaging with Sony label. So either these were made by Sony and released in another territory or they're unlicensed and illegally using the Sony name.

As I stated in the OP, I'm suggesting this for people who just want a spare memory card used primarily to transfer game data to your main memory card. I'm not suggesting that people get it as a main card to keep their saves on for the long-term. Fire Pro Wrestling Returns is the perfect game for this use, as you'll only need this as a second memory card to hold the downloaded CAW packs that you want to transfer to your main game save.

Honestly, for such a periodic, short-term use, it makes little sense to go out and pay $20-$30 (More than the cost of FPWR) on an official memory card. It's good to have a low-cost option for this use.

[quote name='aaa123']Not really, i mean sure it's cheap but DX sell good items and if it's bad they'll replace it IIRC[/QUOTE]
Yes, but shipping something to HK ends up eating up any savings that it would have gotten you. I had a couple lasers/uv leds from them that went south a within a couple of days, and for the price to pack something back it became not worth it. I also had a memory card reader from them that bit the dust after 3 months, so like I said, you're getting what you pay for, and use caution.

Oh, and don't lick stuff bought from there ;)

[quote name='CaoPi']I didn't know the products were from HK at first :roll: . Who would want to lick the products?[/QUOTE]
-- Lead Paint Joke --

[quote name='BigDirty']-- Lead Paint Joke --[/quote]

Anyone over age 20 grew up on the glorious, delicious lead-coated products from China before the massive recall of nearly everything from that Eastern country.

I bet infant rattles and such all contained lead too... :drool:

I can see the point in the OP's rationale of these products; as a temporary medium, it might be worth it. Long term storage = no way.

bread's done
Back