Top 10 of The World's Most EXPENSIVE Video Games

phear3d

CAGiversary!
Feedback
51 (100%)
taken from gamesniped.com
and credit to joystiq as well

i suggest reading the articles first before you look or glance at this list. but if you dont want to, then i cant blame ya :).

10. Blockbuster World Video Game Championships II (Sega Genesis)
  • Estimated Price: $2,000.00+
9. Ultima: Escape from Mt. Drash
  • Estimated Price: $,2500+
8. Air Raid (Atari 2600)
  • Estimated Price: $3000.00+
7. Mr Boston (Vectrex)
  • Estimated Price: $3,000+
6. Nintendo World Championship (Nintendo NES)
  • Copies Produced: 90
  • Estimated Price: $5000.00+
5. Kizuna Encounter (PAL Neo Geo)
  • Copies Produced: Less than 12
  • Estimated Price: $10,000.00+
4. Nintendo Campus Challenge (Super Nintendo)
3. Nintendo Campus Challenge (Nintendo NES)
2. Nintendo Powerfest 94 (Super Nintendo)
1. 1990 Nintendo World Championships: Gold Edition (Nintnedo NES)
  • Copies Produced: 26
there you have it.

[quote name='banpeikun']i'd like to see a list of top $$ games that were actually sold in retail stores[/QUOTE]
Well, you mean MSRP? Because if so, then I can't think of anything more expensive than Steel Battalion.

Now, NeoGeo games were hundreds and hundreds of dollars MSRP, but I don't think you'd really find them in retail stores...

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Well, you mean MSRP? Because if so, then I can't think of anything more expensive than Steel Battalion.

Now, NeoGeo games were hundreds and hundreds of dollars MSRP, but I don't think you'd really find them in retail stores...[/quote]

When I was living in Maryland in 1992 I saw Neo-Geo carts in a retail store. I can't remember the store though (it may have been TRU). It was the only time I saw Neo-Geo stuff for sale like that.

Nintendo could REALLY piss some people off by releasing kizuna encounter on VC.

Probably not, in reality since only 12 known copies exist. That's insane.

Well the rare Kizuna's Encounter is the PAL AES version, so the NTSC AES and MVS carts would be easy to track down. So a VC release wouldn't tick anyone off.

I enjoyed the article, good stuff. I always like to read about stuff I will never be able to afford.

I remember seeing Neo Geo systems and carts being sold at an EBX at the Fair Oaks mall in Northern Virginia around 1993-94. The system was... 600ish, the games were 200-300. Crazy stuff.

They're cheaper now (well the used ones at least) but until I learn soldering and can install some sort of improved video out on my AES, it's staying in it's box in the basement.

When I worked at a mom n' pops Video Game store some guy traded in one of those Nintendo World Championships carts. I think I gave him like 50 cents for it. I had no idea it was rare and my boss was absolutly shocked when he saw it. He kept it for himself and I think he later sold it on eBay, but it didn't go for $5,000.

[quote name='greydemise']oh wow,i was expecting random rare ps2 /snes rpgs and such going for a couple hundred tops..great read OP![/QUOTE]
Well ya see, most of these aren't regular retail games...they're special carts that Nintendo and Sega used at competitions, and only made a handful of. Just FYI.

I was expecting regular retail games that go for a lot on ebay or some other site now. Like Panzer Dragoon Saga going for 200 or so when it came out at around 50 or Mvs.C2 going for around 100 or so when it came out at 50.

the sad thing about the stuff thats supposed to be rare but was sold at retail prices is that its debatable whether or not they are actual rarities. from what i've seen or witnessed since i started collecting games, its more like high-demand for most.

games like Final Fantasy 7 or Valkyrie Profile or even Suikoden II, i mean these games had more than 100k prints and i think FF7 sold more than a million copies.i consider them more like valuable rather than rare but are tougher to see in the wild. although a few people posted on the deal discussion threads finding them at pawnshops and garage sales allover.

[quote name='phear3d']i think FF7 sold more than a million copies.[/QUOTE]
*Psst*...FF7 sold over 3 million copies in the US alone, 10 million worldwide.

As a 41 year old videogame codger, this was truly a great read, taking me back three decades to my early gaming days. Memories of the Vectrex, the 5200, the Supercharger....ahhh...sweet videogames.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']*Psst*...FF7 sold over 3 million copies in the US alone, 10 million worldwide.[/quote]

The problem is, with FF7 and all the rare PS1 and Saturn RPGs, is the condition of the games. The PS1 was the first widely popular cd-based game system, and people upgrading from a SNES or Genesis had absolutely no fucking idea how to take care of games on CD. They left them sitting around, just like the old carts.

I managed a Video Game Exchange store in High school and was an asst. at EB though most of college, and the shit we would get in on a daily basis was astounding. People would bring us SNES games that their dog got a hold of that still friggin' worked, and then get mad that we wouldn't take them in trade. But the condition of most of the PS1 games that came in would make you cry. Every day, I'd have at least 2 or 3 people bring in just a stack of discs that looked like an autistic cat played with them on a cinder covered patio. No cases, no instructions...people just have no respect for their own belongings.

So when I see a perfectly mint complete copy of FF7, black label (like mine sitting on my shelf, heheh), it's pretty shocking.

What about Atlantis 2 for the 2600? That is definitely the world's most expensive video game.

[quote name='GrimmTrixX']one nice expensive game for PS1 is Valkyrie Profile. It's like $160 on ebay, and thats before auctions end.[/QUOTE]
You can get it $100 complete on ebay and half all the time...

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']You can get it $100 complete on ebay and half all the time...[/QUOTE]

Sold mine for $180 on ebay, but that was a year ago. Probably because people wanted to play the orginal since the sequel just came out. But yeah, they dropped in price. Glad I sold mine while people where willing to shell out the big bucks...... suckers :lol:

Valkyrie Profile will pick back up, the PSP one took its toll a bit. I have 2, and may unload one if the prices go back up. I think my most expensive game is a new sealed (with white label on top) Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne. That is going for a good amount and I think it dwarfs my mint Panzer Dragoon Saga.

[quote name='phear3d']the sad thing about the stuff thats supposed to be rare but was sold at retail prices is that its debatable whether or not they are actual rarities. from what i've seen or witnessed since i started collecting games, its more like high-demand for most.

games like Final Fantasy 7 or Valkyrie Profile or even Suikoden II, i mean these games had more than 100k prints and i think FF7 sold more than a million copies.i consider them more like valuable rather than rare but are tougher to see in the wild. although a few people posted on the deal discussion threads finding them at pawnshops and garage sales allover.[/quote]

Yeah, I was hoping to see Suikoden II on there. Ah, whatever. I still have all the Suikoden games and when Suikoden 6 comes out I'll have a reason to buy a PS3.

[quote name='Sideshow']Yeah, I was hoping to see Suikoden II on there. Ah, whatever. I still have all the Suikoden games and when Suikoden 6 comes out I'll have a reason to buy a PS3.[/QUOTE]

i pride myself on being less bias towards game systems or game franchises .. the reason why some of these games are rare is because a lot of them really suck.. and the ones that did they just stopped making PSone games (realistically.. i realize the atlus reprints) so thats why Castlevania SOTN and FF7 were (and in some cases are still) selling so high... Suikoden series could of had a reprint if they (the publisher) wanted it to.. I NEVER saw the suikodens in store even when it was "new" and I am a huge fan of PSone era RPGs.. i've never seen copies of Suikoden or Suikoden 2.. but i don't think that they are "rare" perse but Sought after and collectable and good enough that people hold on to them..

Kizuna Encounter may not be the most expensive game, but it sure as hell is the most drama enducing game. There were arguments over whether a PAL version even existed. Old times at neo-geo.com, lots of name calling and dick swinging involving that particular title.

A few other Neo Geo games could be near that list - ones that were officially released. Metal Slug AES can get in the $1500 range. If you'd let some of the prototypes in Ghostlop and Lost Odysee would probably be in there somewhere.

[quote name='Ronin317']The problem is, with FF7 and all the rare PS1 and Saturn RPGs, is the condition of the games. The PS1 was the first widely popular cd-based game system, and people upgrading from a SNES or Genesis had absolutely no fucking idea how to take care of games on CD. They left them sitting around, just like the old carts.

I managed a Video Game Exchange store in High school and was an asst. at EB though most of college, and the shit we would get in on a daily basis was astounding. People would bring us SNES games that their dog got a hold of that still friggin' worked, and then get mad that we wouldn't take them in trade. But the condition of most of the PS1 games that came in would make you cry. Every day, I'd have at least 2 or 3 people bring in just a stack of discs that looked like an autistic cat played with them on a cinder covered patio. No cases, no instructions...people just have no respect for their own belongings.

So when I see a perfectly mint complete copy of FF7, black label (like mine sitting on my shelf, heheh), it's pretty shocking.[/quote]

Too true. I'm pretty darn proud of how well I've taken care of my own PS1 collection. Most of it's not valuable, but I too have a near-mint complete copy of FF7, black label. :D

[quote name='urzishra14']I NEVER saw the suikodens in store even when it was "new" and I am a huge fan of PSone era RPGs.. i've never seen copies of Suikoden or Suikoden 2.. but i don't think that they are "rare" perse but Sought after and collectable and good enough that people hold on to them..[/quote]
same here. i knew about them but i never really would have imagined that they'd be sought after. i might have glanced at suikoden II at target while they were on clearance but even that i vaugely remember. i also do agree that some games really didn't reach enough gamers for them to even issue a 2nd reprint of the game. games like suikoden II might have been in that category.

AES is the abbreviation for the Neo Geo home cartridge system. MVS refers to the Neo Geo arcade cartridges (that went in those big, red arcade multisystems back in the day). I think AES stands for "Arcade Entertainment System" but don't quote me on that.

[quote name='Halo05']AES is the abbreviation for the Neo Geo home cartridge system. MVS refers to the Neo Geo arcade cartridges (that went in those big, red arcade multisystems back in the day). I think AES stands for "Arcade Entertainment System" but don't quote me on that.[/quote]

Advanced Entertainment System.

That said, a lot of the hardcore community think thats just a made up, retrodicted name by the US branch of SNK. That originally the system was just called AES and the letters meant nothing (like DVD).

Who knows anymore. I'm sure it doesn't matter. In the world of Neo games AES stands for Expect To Pay More.

[quote name='urzishra14']i pride myself on being less bias towards game systems or game franchises .. the reason why some of these games are rare is because a lot of them really suck.. and the ones that did they just stopped making PSone games (realistically.. i realize the atlus reprints) so thats why Castlevania SOTN and FF7 were (and in some cases are still) selling so high... Suikoden series could of had a reprint if they (the publisher) wanted it to.. I NEVER saw the suikodens in store even when it was "new" and I am a huge fan of PSone era RPGs.. i've never seen copies of Suikoden or Suikoden 2.. but i don't think that they are "rare" perse but Sought after and collectable and good enough that people hold on to them..[/quote]

Have you ever played either of the Suikoden games?

bread's done
Back