CAGcast #97: A Cut Below

A yo dat song iz hard a shit nigga.

Great episode.

"But I tell you I do feel like I'm rocking out when I look over on the couch and see Ms. Cheapy with her titties hanging out....then I see my son"( or I think that's how you ended that bit )

Still great.

hey CheapyD, chances are (almost positive) you will be able to run Crysis on your iMac on at LEAST medium settings depending on which model you picked up. Just install Windows via Bootcamp and you should be good to go. Try the demo if anything.

The iMac I think you picked up blows the minimum system requirements away.

Minimum System Requirements
Processor: Pentium 4 @ 2.8 GHz
Memory: 1 GB (1.5 GB on Windows Vista)
Hard Drive: 12 GB Free
Video Memory: 256 MB (nVidia GeForce 6800/ATI Radeon 9800 Pro)
Sound Card: DirectX Compatible
DirectX: 9.0c
Keyboard & Mouse
DVD Rom Drive

Recommended System Requirements
Processor: Intel Core 2 DUO 2.2 GHz or Athlon 64 X2 4400+
Memory: 2 GB
Hard Drive: 12 GB Free
Video Memory: 256 MB (nVidia 6800 GT/ATI X800 Pro)
Sound Card: DirectX Compatible
DirectX: 9.0c
Keyboard & Mouse
DVD Rom Drive

Supported chipsets:
NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT or greater; ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (Radeon X800 Pro for Vista) or greater. Laptop versions of these chipsets may work but are not supported. Integrated chipsets are not supported. Updates to your video and sound card drivers may be required.

Cheapy I had this bookmarked for an eventual PS3 purchase
http://www.tuaw.com/2007/08/01/stream-audio-video-and-pictures-from-your-mac-to-a-ps3/
It seems complicated but I just had it marked for the future. For a Mac/360 connection, which is a whole lot easier, I use a program called Connect360. Theres a couple other programs if you want better video support but Connect360 works well enough for me. It uses iTune's playlists too so it works great to make game specific soundtracks for yourself.

Enjoy Puerto Rico, Wombat. Have some Church's Fried Chicken for me (it's like the McDonald's of Puerto Rico...or maybe Starbucks).

Cheapy,

Remember that the original integrity line is the same line Nintendo used right before the Virtual Console launch.

don't do it Cheapy! Don't snip poor little Tai! We evolved with foreskin. It's there for a reason. It makes sex better! Foreskin rocks!

Wow Cheapy, props for going over PC games (or err, one PC game) for once. Perhaps when you can Bootcamp set up on your Mac you'll start covering them, as Cheapassgamer has mostly been consoles only.

As for the subject of Xbox games on LIVE, ...adding additional features and achivements to these games would probably mean augmenting the code somehow, which may introduce further problems to the games. (hence "maintaining the integrity"). So, short of saying "hey, we just didn't have the money and didn't care enough to put developers back to work on these old games, and that we're releasing these games on line to rip you off," I believe Major Nelson used the correct choice of words in his explaination.

I guess that technically "Grand Theft" does rhyme with "grand theft," but isn't that bad form? Just sayin'.

[quote name='stonefry']I guess that technically "Grand Theft" does rhyme with "grand theft," but isn't that bad form? Just sayin'.[/quote] I think if it's done in a knowing, tongue-in-cheek way (as it is in this song), it's more interesting than incorrect. Also, he's contrasting two different meanings of the phrase.

[quote name='gorgo']That theme song is fantastic. I want the mp3. No, really.[/quote]

I want it too.

wtf...i watched the video and i just kept waiting for something to happen after the question marks flew in.

nothing came...:wall:

[quote name='Dingleberry']wtf...i watched the video and i just kept waiting for something to happen after the question marks flew in.

nothing came...:wall:[/quote]Thats the genius of it.. :lol:

Just came to say, after all that talk about getting a good computer and finally doing some PC gaming, you better use some kind of windows emulator and try some of the gems it has to offer.

Also I hated that theme song, I would rather listen to more navy ads.

That's the funniest goddamn website ever Cheapy. Did you ever get any "clients?" Anyone contact you for consulting work on which game to buy? It's kind of like a predecessor to "What they play," isn't it?

On the much-maligned topic of PS3 vs. 360 online play, I still don't understand the argument against playing COD4 (or most other games with online play) on PS3. There is clearly an option to invite friends to a room before you jump into the game, and it connects directly with your friends list. This is the same in Warhawk as well, and also in Rainbow Six Vegas. Is the difference on the 360 more that you can jump into a room from outside the game, like I can on Steam? That would be great. People, though, act like the PS3 online system is completely broken and impossible to use with your friends.

If, perhaps, all of your friends were on 360, and you had very few on PSN, then I would understand. Of course you'd want to go where your friends are. But to make it seem like it's impossible to have a friend join a game is a little spurious, in my opinion.

Where is FriskyTanuki to back me up on this? He's usually on the front lines in this conversation!

The whole "afraid my PS3 willl die excuse" doesn't work. I happen to talk to Scobie, Martin and Musicnoteless often and none of their PS3s (including martens three that fold every minute, even now) hasn't "red ringed". The thing just won't crap out unless your circuit breaker blows like marten's has. The dude has too much gaming shit in one area but it does look bad ass. thinking of it, why don't you leave your PS3 on in folding mode while on vacation. You're not going to use it and you might get skin cancer by accident while on the beach. ;)

Good show guys. An easy way to get a CAG theme on the ps3 would be just to download it directly to the ps3 via the web browser.

[quote name='rogueweapon']Good show guys. An easy way to get a CAG theme on the ps3 would be just to download it directly to the ps3 via the web browser.[/quote]

One would have to MAKE the theme first. There's theme creator software out there; you just have to basically replace all of the .png files in the sample with your own pics. I'm thinking of trying this. I wonder if CheapyD could send me a file with High-res versions of all the CAG art, so I could get started.

Wombat, you should go for more skill points and unlock the developers commentary in Ratchet & Clank Future since it's pretty cool to get some cool insight on the behind the scenes stuff. It's unfortunate that you have to stick by the players rather than just listening while you play. It makes the second playthrough worth it.

[quote name='orko60']On the much-maligned topic of PS3 vs. 360 online play, I still don't understand the argument against playing COD4 (or most other games with online play) on PS3. There is clearly an option to invite friends to a room before you jump into the game, and it connects directly with your friends list. This is the same in Warhawk as well, and also in Rainbow Six Vegas. Is the difference on the 360 more that you can jump into a room from outside the game, like I can on Steam? That would be great. People, though, act like the PS3 online system is completely broken and impossible to use with your friends.

If, perhaps, all of your friends were on 360, and you had very few on PSN, then I would understand. Of course you'd want to go where your friends are. But to make it seem like it's impossible to have a friend join a game is a little spurious, in my opinion.

Where is FriskyTanuki to back me up on this? He's usually on the front lines in this conversation![/quote]
I haven't tried them all, but the big PS3 titles that have gotten scrutiny over their 360 counterparts that I have played were just fine. The differences are always blown way out of proportion. Warhawk's online is improving quickly with the new patches, which is great. Resistance is another PS3 online game's that advanced compared to others on the system.

The friends list thing's the only thing I could see being the big factor for people in choosing between platforms. Though I don't know how often Cheapy's actually on his PS3 since his friends list is full and he won't clear some spaces when asked. ;)

Cheapy & Wombat,

Please check out this thread at GAF to browse through a good number of EXCELLENT custom themes for the PS3. All you need to do is browse there with the PS3 browser and download the theme straight from there or put it on a memstick.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=206386

Cheapy,

Check out the thread below on which DLNA server to use with your mac. You will probably want to get one that supports transcoding so that any unsupported format will still work.

http://www.rbgrn.net/blog/2007/08/h...er-software-in-windows-mac-os-x-or-linux.html

I have TVersity for my XP machine and it works like buddah on my 360 and my PS3. For the mac it seems like TwonkyMedia is the way to go. Never connect your laptop to the TV again!!

I think Wombat & Cheapy made a comment about the Nintendo Virtual Console games working perfectly (or something to that effect), but when I play my recently downloaded SMB3 I have green blocks on the right hand side of the screen while I am scrolling to the right. I have read that this was in the cartridge version, but I don't recall that. If they did carry this over then that would be a "perfect" emulation. Not sure why they couldn't repair it though. If it wasn't there originally, then the Virtual Console version of what Nintendo declared as the "best game evar" has some graphical problems analagous to the problems faced by the downloaded XBox games referred to in this podcast.

Anyone else have the green block problems with their VC SMB3?

[quote name='willc23']I think Wombat made some comment about the Nintendo Virtual Console games being perfect (or something to that effect), but when I play my recently downloaded SMB3 I have green blocks on the right hand side of the screen while I am scrolling to the right. I have read that this was in the cartridge version, but I don't recall that. If they did carry this over then that would be a "perfect" emulation. Not sure why they couldn't repair it though. If it wasn't there originally, then the Virtual Console version of what Nintendo declared as the "best game evar" has some graphical problems analagous to the problems faced by the downloaded XBox games referred to in this podcast.

Anyone else have the green block problems with their VC SMB3?[/quote]
My copy does the same thing. It's a little annoying when I'm trying to focus on the platforming and not dying, but it's manageable. SMB had similar types of graphical issues (enemy sprites would flicker on and off at times), but that was supposedly in the cart version, as well. I never had an NES, so I didn't know these games had these kinds of issues.

I'm about 3/4 through this episode. Truly a classic. From the opening song (I really hope you guys use this one for the theme song), to the comments about MSUHitman's ordeal with the Mass Effect game (I feel for you, man). "Mine, mine, mine!!!":applause:

Hey, Cheapy: do they use the "bell method" in Japan for circumcisions? You're kid won't be screaming all that much after it's over (unless he a pussy - j/k). In the US, most doctors will numb the site and maybe give the kid a pacifier with some sugar water on it. It seems to calm them.

Why did you wait so long to get the kid cut?

Great Episode!!

Wombat Enjoy Puerto Rico!

BTW Puerto Rico is part of the U.S. You have as much of a chance to get kidnapped there as you do in Manhattan.

And like the previous poster stated,
Go to Church's Chickens (its alot better than the ones in the US)

PechuBurger Con papas!

Cheapy: Happy I could play Clarence to your George Bailey. "Every time a bell rings, another cheap ass gets his wings." ;)

I don't have a son yet, but for whatever reason, my wife and I have had several discussions about whether or not we will...er...block our son's hat or not. We've gone back and forth, but at this point we're thinking no. In 1999 the American Pediatric Association officially recommended against it (http://www.aap.org/advocacy/archives/marcircum.htm), deciding that any miniscule protection it might provide from AIDS or penile cancer (which is exceedingly rare to begin with) does not outweigh the potential diminishing of future sexual pleasure, and the pain and distress it causes the infant.

I'm the son of a Jewish mother and a Catholic father, and though they're both lapsed, all the medical data at the time of my birth was pro-snip, so you can probably surmise the cut of my jib. I've also been to a bris or two, and I'm still not sure I get the confluence of rabbis, wine, brunch, and baby penis cutting. I suppose that makes me a bad Jew. Regardless, I'm not one of those guys who pines for his lost turtleneck at night and things are just fine in the Barry White department, but if we can give junior a little extra confidence in the sack down the road, I'm all for it.

Hey WOMBAT, I'm puertorican, be nice to know a cagster will be here on vacation...just in case .....u won't miss the blackfriday deals, we have them in Puerto Rico also, just that not all those stores are here....And by the way walmart and Compusa always rape us when BF specials are done, alway more expensive here and sometimes they change the products, buy hey, enjoy your stay here...It seems u have family here, so they would take good care of u, and show u the great stuff we have here in puerto rico.

Thanks for the plug on my story; I hope it doesn't cause you to lose listeners as I know there are at least 3 CAG's who think I should be perma banned from this site.

To clarify some things:

I never had physical possession of the games. I had what I feel was legal ownership of them as my property as I had fully paid for them, signing credit card receipt, etc. The first employee was bagging them up to hand to me when the second employee, Jonathan, took them away from him and told me I had to take a refund on them. If I had physical possession of them, Brian Urlacher himself couldn't have stopped me from getting out of that store.

Jonathan was also the douchebag saying I would go to jail for buying the games 10 days early. The asst. manager lied to me saying he did not have the district manager's contact info in the store and I had to call the toll-free KMart number for that, which was a lie. The store manager of either the KMart in question or the one that works where the district manager is located also lied to me about whether I could email the district manager. The one at the store I had issue with said he could not receive a public email, only an email from the kmart.com domain, the second one said I could send him an email and gave me his address, which I confirmed. One day later I got the couldn't deliver message from Yahoo mail.

All I know is if I treated a customer this way at my job, I would be unemployed right now. If they had stopped me before the purchase about the street date, I would of had no problems. But after the sale is complete is too late. And saying I would go to prison is retarded. I should of called the cops but I was so pissed off I didn't think of it.

Edit: Thank you also for answering my question about posting a deal on another site as long as it's linked to CAG. Now maybe these fuckers who keep calling for a perma-ban on me will shut up! Also sorry if that caused a problem that week as it seemed CAG got hammered with traffic about the CoD 4 CC error.

Thanks for answering my question guys. Journey definitely could be an album purchase on Rock Band with their numerous hits, but Toto could have a nasty trio of songs with:

- Africa
- Roseanna
- Hold The Line

Either way, great episode. I agree that Wal-Mart was not a fight worth fighting. Their entire electronics department sucks anyway.

PS: The Outro was awesome.

A few comments, as this podcast was so good that it made me feel I had to post.

The cutting of the kid, it’s a shame you would do this. If it’s about being a proper Jew, I’m sure he could have taken that stance when he grew up, and not having this forced upon him as an infant. And I should think Cheapy is so secular in his ways that he does not believe that if his son should die before growing up and deciding to have a circumcision himself, that God would judge him unworthy based on his foreskin still being on. You would not tattoo your child, why would you put a knife to his body?

As to the PC gaming thing, like several people here have commented, your rig should be able to run Crysis, and many other good PC games, if you install Windows on it, via bootcamp. While in windows, you should also check out the Steam client, and give it a “robust shake” to see how it stands up against Xbox live. After all, PC is a gaming system and having Steam for your games (for free no less), might show you problems with Xbox live.

bread's done
Back