What a Moron

LiK

CAGiversary!
Hey guys, I wasn't sure if this is worth posting in the CAG forums but here's a link in the NeoGAF forums with some douche who's bitching about CAG people (not the site). I totally disagree with his thinking. I find it interesting that he's using "CAG" to describe frugal gamers. Sue him Cheapy! ^^

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=208227

Yeah, I posted in that thread regarding his ideas... He's using the term CAG in the wrong sense...

His whole argument is that by people "waiting for AAA titles to hit bargain bins, that we are ruining the industry"...

HUH?

In his defense, he has no problem with people finding deals and such on games and systems...

h3ro, yea, i had to comment in that thread too. i can't believe he took so much time to bitch at people who wanna save money

Reads like flame-bait.
To some degree, I can see his point when it comes to games made by independent studios/developers. The example of Psychonauts comes to mind, it's a great game that very few people bought which in-turn may make it harder for innovative games to be developed. However, from the consumer perspective he's all effed up. Take for example his analogy of a high-priced suit. Sure you might be able to afford an Armani at full price...but who wouldn't love to get one for 50% off (or FREE if you know a guy named Kenny Bania).

This is incredibly dumb. Its a disgrace to us cheap asses

...I was proud to pay $80 dollars for phantasy star online.

WTF? does this guy work for sega or something? its not like were buying bootleg games.

[quote name='Vader582']The example of Psychonauts comes to mind, it's a great game that very few people bought which in-turn may make it harder for innovative games to be developed.[/quote]
the video game industry is the same as any other entertaiment industry. with proper marketing strategies, you'll end up with a huge hit. psychonauts was a great game but very few people have heard of it.

there was a particular 007 title for the Ps1 that sold alot of copies (i cant remember which) but yet the game wasn't really that great. they did everything they could to market that game and they've succeded. but not every game needs it though. like for instance japanese RPG games that are released here in america. not everyone can play it or have the time to even finish them.

and i would also disagree with this guy. he looks into it deeply without even knowing all the facts right. the consumers are obsessed with deals because retailers allow them to by clearing out old inventories to make way for new games. even gamestop does it!

I get so fed up with the anti renting argument.

Why the hell should we have to shell out $60 for a 5 hour game?

Another thing about renting: Big rental chains buy games direct from the publishers to rent them out. If a publisher does not want their game to be rented, they can refuse to sell to Hollywood video or Blockbuster.

Its kind of like this: Right now the Winestein movie company has an exclusive deal with Blockbuster to rent out their DVD's this means that Hollywood Video does not get their movies because Winestein does not sell to Hollywood Video.

Every rental copy of a game is still a copy that has been paid for. If a publisher wanted to crackdown on renting, they would refuse to sell to rental chains. Of course this would not stop every rental shop from going out and buying their own copies at a store but it would put a dent in the larger chains.

I just don't see why some publishers are freaking out over rentals but then continue to release Short mediocre games.

Used sales are a whole different issue that I don't really know too much about so I wont try to talk about them. I do know that a used copy of a newly released game is only like $5 off which is not a lot to complain about.

[quote name='phear3d']there was a particular 007 title for the Ps1 that sold alot of copies (i cant remember which) but yet the game wasn't really that great.[/QUOTE]

All of them?

Developers and publishers could help us and in turn themselves by not releasing ninety percent of what worthwhile titles they have to offer in the same two-month crush as everyone else. But they're obstinant on the whole, so they get what they deserve.

P.S. I do my best to buy at least a couple titles a year at full MSRP (or very close to it) that are at least slightly off the beaten path but earn critical acclaim. A game like Psychonauts is never going to hit with the headshot-lovin' mainstream mooks and thugs, so gamers 'doing their part' out of obligation and good intentions will ultimately make little difference. BioShock worked because of prerelease word-of-mouth and a marketing campaign built around violent and bleak imagery. Everyone can see the 'badass' factor inherent to the Big Daddies.

[quote name='Vader582'] Sure you might be able to afford an Armani at full price...but who wouldn't love to get one for 50% off (or FREE if you know a guy named Kenny Bania).[/quote]But you have to go to Mendy's . . . twice.

The problem with this guy's arguement- Whatever we pay for games doesn't affect the publisher/developer directly. There are some long term effects and such of people paying very little for games, but the retailer still buys their games from the publisher at a set price. Best Buy still pays $40 for that copy of SMG that you bought for $50 and got a $25 gift card with, etc.

The effect of shopping cheaply is pretty minor when you consider what a minority people who look for deals are too.

Like cheapasses didn't exist before the internets. And they exist in all markets and they all don't seem to be collapsing just yet.

Cheapasses exist because some market products are inherently overvalued. We are the force that cajoles gamemakers into putting more value into games to entice us to buy them at all. Cheapasses are the check on capitalism because we help set the price that the market will bear, not allowing companies to release at an arbitrary cash sucking pricepoint. Why aren't games $100 on release day? Because there are smart cheapass buyers that know there isn't $100 worth of entertainment in that flashy plastic disk. So, fuck you bitch, for you know not of what you speak.

Tell me this idiot goes out and buys the latest monthly Dragonball Z games at full price and brags about it? You know, the next time I get a $10 of coupon from Best Buy, I'll think about not using it so gamemakers can get their fair share of my money. Yeah, it's cheapasses that are making the game industry shitty, not the idiots who can't make good games. Uh, huh - sure.

I'd say that Gamestop's attempt to corner the market on Used games at the expense of new games is hurting the industry much more than I could ever do by saving 10% on my new purchases there.

[quote name='bmulligan']Like cheapasses didn't exist before the internets. And they exist in all markets and they all don't seem to be collapsing just yet.

Cheapasses exist because some market products are inherently overvalued. We are the force that cajoles gamemakers into putting more value into games to entice us to buy them at all. Cheapasses are the check on capitalism because we help set the price that the market will bear, not allowing companies to release at an arbitrary cash sucking pricepoint. Why aren't games $100 on release day? Because there are smart cheapass buyers that know there isn't $100 worth of entertainment in that flashy plastic disk. So, fuck you bitch, for you know not of what you speak.

Tell me this idiot goes out and buys the latest monthly Dragonball Z games at full price and brags about it? You know, the next time I get a $10 of coupon from Best Buy, I'll think about not using it so gamemakers can get their fair share of my money. Yeah, it's cheapasses that are making the game industry shitty, not the idiots who can't make good games. Uh, huh - sure.[/QUOTE]
I just wish there was a way to apply cheapassness to buying gasoline. Would this guy rather pay full price for that, as well?

[quote name='bobthecat23']used games kill the industry[/quote]Yes, because the video game industry has gotten KILLED ever since the boom in online rental stores. :roll:

bread's done
Back