A bee can only sting once... how'd I get stung twice?

zatos

CAGiversary!
A couple months ago... I got stung by a bee. Twice. I know it's a bit later to be asking about it.

Anyway, it was just one bee... who happened to somehow crawl up in my shirt. I felt something like a bite, nothing bad... pulled up my shirt, saw nothing. Then I felt it again, pulled it up, saw the bee pulling out of me and then fly away.

I thought bees could only sting once? I know there are some exceptions but this was just an ordinary wasp. Doesn't their venom sac tear out and everything?

Just asking so I can stop thinking about it!

How do you know it wasn't a bite the first time then a sting the second time? He used his saliva bite to soften you up a bit then he rammed his stinger in ya.

[quote name='getmeoutofjoliet']Correct.[/QUOTE]

Incorrect. There are a lot of bees that can sting and not die. There are only a few bees (such as the North American honeybee) that die when it's ovipositor is torn off. Of course, there are other flying insects that can repeatedly sting (such as a wasp) but it's a common misconception that all bees can not sting more than once.

[quote name='valor19']Incorrect. There are a lot of bees that can sting and not die. There are only a few bees (such as the North American honeybee) that die when it's ovipositor is torn off. Of course, there are other flying insects that can repeatedly sting (such as a wasp) but it's a common misconception that all bees can not sting more than once.[/QUOTE]

I actually learned something today. ovipositor, eh?

Don't blow a gasket, Pops.

what's with the italics? not a complaint, just wondering.

[quote name='Apossum']
what's with the italics? not a complaint, just wondering.[/quote]

Ehh... I like it. I'd do colors since you really don't see it outside the Trading Forums, but it's too much work.

[quote name='zatos']A couple months ago... I got stung by a bee. Twice. I know it's a bit later to be asking about it.

Anyway, it was just one bee... who happened to somehow crawl up in my shirt. I felt something like a bite, nothing bad... pulled up my shirt, saw nothing. Then I felt it again, pulled it up, saw the bee pulling out of me and then fly away.

I thought bees could only sting once? I know there are some exceptions but this was just an ordinary wasp. Doesn't their venom sac tear out and everything?

Just asking so I can stop thinking about it![/QUOTE]

In the South, we just call those "wood boogers." Basically, some insect mutates into a mystery creature due to our poor environmental laws and unregulated waste dumping (as well as feeding on open cans of potted meat).. and before you know it, our towns smell like paper mills and mosquitos show up on radar.

Were there any dogs around you? Dogs that were barking? And perhaps an old man standing outside his mansion with his effeminate aid?

Hah, alright. I guess my memory is faulty. I thought I remember learning somewhere that only honeybees had stingers that didn't rip out... but I guess that's not true at all. Now I feel stupid! Oh well.

[quote name='pimpinc333']How do you know it wasn't a bite the first time then a sting the second time? He used his saliva bite to soften you up a bit then he rammed his stinger in ya.[/QUOTE]

:hot: :hot: :hot:

[quote name='valor19']Incorrect. There are a lot of bees that can sting and not die. There are only a few bees (such as the North American honeybee) that die when it's ovipositor is torn off. Of course, there are other flying insects that can repeatedly sting (such as a wasp) but it's a common misconception that all bees can not sting more than once.[/QUOTE]

I bet you've been anxiously waiting for a bee conversation to come up ever since you learned this.

bread's done
Back