Your falconeering guide, or falcon hunting to be more precise.

[quote name='Killer Rabbit']Dude, Falcons are an endangered species. I should call the WWF on your behind.

...They'll body slam the bejeezus out of you.[/quote]I see what you did there.

You'd look for the same things on the Elite.

Only difference on Elites is that the case is black and it comes with 120GB HD.

[quote name='aerozero']Life would be so much easier if Microsoft just put a label on the outside of new 360s saying FALCON equipped.[/QUOTE]

They would never get rid of the old ones.

[quote name='Limpbizkit182521']They would never get rid of the old ones.[/quote]

Pretty much.

Although they could rely on uneducated consumers to slowly erode the existing supply, the educated consumers would stay far, far away from the old consoles.

[quote name='Killer Rabbit']Pretty much.

Although they could rely on uneducated consumers to slowly erode the existing supply, the educated consumers would stay far, far away from the old consoles.[/QUOTE]

Exactly.

[quote name='h3llbring3r']Or they could bundle falcons with a third free game and extend the warranty even further for them.[/quote]

Don't push it, pal. The only other consumer product that offers a standard manufacturer's warranty that long is automobiles, and that is saying a lot about Microsoft's effort. Name another consumer product under $500 with a standard manufacturer's warranty that even comes close to 360. No, let's push it even further. Name another consumer product under $1,000.

[quote name='nintendokid']Don't push it, pal. The only other consumer product that offers a standard manufacturer's warranty that long is automobiles, and that is saying a lot about Microsoft's effort. Name another consumer product under $500 with a standard manufacturer's warranty that even comes close to 360. No, let's push it even further. Name another consumer product under $1,000.[/quote]
Everyone knows the only reason MS pushed to warranty to 3 years was to avoid getting their asses sued off. They knew they made shoddy hardware, and so did everyone who owns one, it was almost obligatory. Name one other console (including the PS1 and PS2) that had half as man report breakdowns this quick. The failure rate on Xbox 360 is almost unprecendented.

Don't tell me Nintendo wouldn't do the same, the only difference is that their hardware is the best in the business and rarely breaks for no reason.

The guide is useful but there is no way to tell if you have a falcon until you take the system home and look at it with a flashlight.

[quote name='bil4ltool']Everyone knows the only reason MS pushed to warranty to 3 years was to avoid getting their asses sued off. They knew they made shoddy hardware, and so did everyone who owns one, it was almost obligatory. Name one other console (including the PS1 and PS2) that had half as man report breakdowns this quick. The failure rate on Xbox 360 is almost unprecendented.

Don't tell me Nintendo wouldn't do the same, the only difference is that their hardware is the best in the business and rarely breaks for no reason.[/quote]

Sued by whom? Obligatory? No. MS choose to do this. Shoddy hardware DOES NOT oblige you to increase the warranty or give back to the customers. Just ask Chevy, GMC, and Ford. It's not like the 360s were causing health hazard ala toys made in China. You are missing the point of my argument which is that we should be glad we already have 3 three-year warranty because most other companies would not do the same. Sure, it seems that the architecture is just asking for fried GPU, but at least they are stepping up and PROVING themselves. In Nintendo and Sony's case, they've never had this problem yet so you can't honestly say that they WILL FOR SURE. And Nintendo consoles don't break down because they consume and output the same amount of power my clock radio does. Talk to me again when the next Nintendo system has triple-core processor and is actually able to do 1080p video output.

There would have been a class action law suit if they hadn't done something. And they likely would have lost given all the lemon laws and other consumer protection acts in most states.

But I applaud them for extending the Warranty nonetheless. I wouldn't have bought one, even the great Frys.com bundle that finally got me, if they hadn't hav extended the warranty.

But they really shouldn't have rushed it out, cut the original x-box's life short at a mere 4 years, and spent another year getting the hardware design perfected.

I really wish they would label the Falcons for all those with so much faith in them, as long as they added a bunch of extra stuff for the older models - because then I'd buy the older model, maybe two.

If the choice was a Falcon or an old 360 with extra stuff at the same price. I'll take the older 360 every time. The 3 year warranty eliminated my concerns enough.

[quote name='thrustbucket']
If the choice was a Falcon or an old 360 with extra stuff at the same price. I'll take the older 360 every time. The 3 year warranty eliminated my concerns enough.[/QUOTE]

Plus pretty much every unit out there now is at least the Zephyr with the added heat sink which likely greatly reduced the risk of RRoD anyway. The smaller CPU probably won't make a huge difference since the GPU is what caused most problems. Probably just a small improvement through the CPU generating a little less heat inside the box.

Lawsuit or no lawsuit, MSoft's reputation was on the line. The 360 already had a well-deserved reputation for being shoddily built, if Microsoft hadn't extended the warranty, gamers would have begun slamming the console even more, and more and more gamers would stay away from buying a 360.

it is not full 3 years warranty. The 3 years is only for the Red Rings. If your DVD drive failed in year 2 it is not cover.

[quote name='nintendokid']Don't push it, pal. The only other consumer product that offers a standard manufacturer's warranty that long is automobiles, and that is saying a lot about Microsoft's effort. Name another consumer product under $500 with a standard manufacturer's warranty that even comes close to 360. No, let's push it even further. Name another consumer product under $1,000.[/QUOTE]Name another consumer product in which every single unit is gauranteed to fail. We all know Microsoft are covering their asses.

[quote name='TimPV3']Name another consumer product in which every single unit is gauranteed to fail. We all know Microsoft are covering their asses.[/quote]
Precisely. Microsoft WOULD have had a class action lawsuit put on them, and I'm pretty sure they extended the warranty when a class action was in the works. No way would that company extend it out of the kindness of their hearts. I love the games on my 360, but quite frankly they're the worst pieces of mass gaming hardware in the history of gaming, in terms of failure rate.

My computer is running at a much higher speed than my xbox and it's been working like gold since I built it.

I'm on my fourth Xbox (bought at launch and I treat them like Kings) and I had to pay to ship my last one back, and then wait a month. A lot of companies will send you a replacement unit first, and have you return your malfunctioning unit, not to mention pay for the shipping (T-Mobile, Nintendo, etc.)

[quote name='TimPV3']Name another consumer product in which every single unit is gauranteed to fail. We all know Microsoft are covering their asses.[/QUOTE]

Tell that to my launch 360 that gets played nightly, still going strong.

[quote name='TimPV3']Name another consumer product in which every single unit is gauranteed to fail. We all know Microsoft are covering their asses.[/quote]

Well, yeah all 360s are guaranteed to fail...probably sometime in the next 10-10,000 years.

The launch 360s are built like crap, but they're not all going to die.

[quote name='Killer Rabbit']Well, yeah all 360s are guaranteed to fail...probably sometime in the next 10-10,000 years.

The launch 360s are built like crap, but they're not all going to die.[/QUOTE]

All launch 360's (and up to a certain mfgr. date, I imagine) have a design flaw that can cause them all to fail at some point...

Consider an analogous item. The Dodge pickups from 1999-2001 (I forget the range) had a plastic feed tube for the transmission fluid. Now, under non-towing circumstances, or in very cold areas (possibly)... the transmission fluid would not get hot enough to melt that plastic tube. BUT if you towed something (perfectly acceptable usage on a truck) or if you lived in a very warm climate, the fluid _COULD_ get hot enough to melt the tube and cause an engine fire.

There was a recall, and the trucks now have a metal tube to deliver fluid. It was a design decision that was wrong. Did it cause all trucks to catch fire? No. But the possibility existed for _all_ trucks to catch fire at some point. The same holds true for the 3-Red rings.

This MS extension of warranty for the 3 Red Rings is their attempt to avoid a full-scale recall, and at the same time avoid any bad PR associated with the flaw. (As much as possible, I mean.) Otherwise, they'd have extended the warranty to 3 years for _all_ the failures. Make no mistake... it was a design decision to make the heatsink like they did. Whatever the reason (cost-cutting, etc), is not the issue. If it weren't a design failure, you wouldn't see redesigned heatsinks on newly manufactured models.

I still enjoy the console, but let's all not fanboy it up and claim MS is being a benevolent giant over all this. (I'm speaking to the royal "we" here...) :)

couldn't resist...

snl_1450_falconer_02.jpg

that should be added to the OP... just my .02

[quote name='TimPV3']Name another consumer product in which every single unit is gauranteed to fail. We all know Microsoft are covering their asses.[/QUOTE]

PS2 Fatty DRE. Not sure about slims but everyone I know except one person on these boards has had DRE issues with the old PS2. I had my PS2 fatty for alittle over 3+ years and it just started having DRE's. Yeah it is more reliable then the 360, but eventually you have to go out and buy another PS2 thanks to Sony's shitty disc drives. Luckily those are $130 (or less) versus $280.

[quote name='thrustbucket']Tell that to my launch 360 that gets played nightly, still going strong.[/quote]

Wow, so the fact that it is not a 100% fail rate is impressive. Great job MS! USA USA USA USA!!!

[quote name='Viva Las Vegas']Wow, so the fact that it is not a 100% fail rate is impressive. Great job MS! USA USA USA USA!!![/QUOTE]

I am not sure I understand your comment.

Lots of people like to talk as if ALL 360's are destined to fail because of something that is Microsoft's fault. This simply isn't true, and that was my only point.

[quote name='thrustbucket']I am not sure I understand your comment.

Lots of people like to talk as if ALL 360's are destined to fail because of something that is Microsoft's fault. This simply isn't true, and that was my only point.[/QUOTE]

Think about this. 3-red rings... happens to most consoles, Microsoft redesigns the heatsinks on new consoles released (not the falcons, either) and grants a 3 year warranty extension for just that particular failure. Why go to that trouble if it's not their fault? "customer experience improvement?" :roll:

Common sense dictates that if it were an isolated incident, or somehow related to environment or care, that Microsoft would not have gone to all the trouble to take a $1 billion hit and make the consoles' warranty for a _specific_ issue be 3 years. I'm sorry... this is a design flaw. It's systemic.. specific, and happens to more than 10% of the consoles (FAR more). And Microsoft isn't saying ONE WORD publicly about what its fixing or why this problem is happening so vastly in their console... But I seem to remember a quote from someone in MS about the time the extension to the warranty was announced that the "potential flaw could affect 100% of existing systems" That's about as much of an admission as you're going to get about the design flaw in the GPU heatsink.

That's not to say the console's not fun to use , but I'm no apologist. MS has come as close to 'clean' as we're going to get without a lawsuit, so I guess we're not totally at a loss here...

[quote name='thrustbucket']I am not sure I understand your comment.

Lots of people like to talk as if ALL 360's are destined to fail because of something that is Microsoft's fault. This simply isn't true, and that was my only point.[/quote]

If it is not MS' fault, who's fault is it? The toothfairy? The 360 seems to have the reliability of the Yugo, so in your logic who was responsible for the Yugo being crap?

Double score at 2 walmarts this am. Pro consoles with 2 games and a $50 gift card for $350 + tax.

Box 1- FDOU Lot 739 9/24/07 -FALCON
Box 2

Double score at 2 walmarts this am. Pro consoles with 2 games and a $50 gift card for $350 + tax.

Box

Box 2- CSON Lot 739 10/2/07 -FALCON

Tonight at Game Crazy:

Me: "Do you know if the Halo edition 360 comes with the falcon board?"

With a confused look on his face.

GC Associate: "Falcon Zord???"

I take it most if not all Halo Edition 360s do not have the Falcon zord...board?

[quote name='Mexicanto']Its Sad to see a 14 year old without a xbox 360 but i must live with that im slowly raising money right now im doing Paid surveys for cash i havent earned more then $25 and that makes me more sad Now im using Cashfiesta and hopefully they will send me MY $100 check thank you Im sad[/quote]

:-({|=

bread's done
Back