WIRED headset for PS3? Or at least standard headset?

Wolfpup

CAGiversary!
Just wondering if there's a wired headset available for the PS3, or at least some standardized headset. I'd prefer NOT to use bluetooth if at all possible. (The way the 360 does is where it plugs into the controller is kind of cool.)

I think I'm giving up on the Blender as my main system, and while I hardly ever play online games, the free online means I might actually do it sometimes on the PS3, so just wondering about this.

Also, random question, how's the voicechat quality? The 360's is atrocious, particularly since you're paying for it. Way worse than my cell phone, which is way worse than normal VOIP.

Actually while I'm at it I wonder if there's a way to voicechat in Wii games? :D

I think any USB headset would work with the PS3. There was one for the PS2 that Logitech made: Amazon has it for $25 (http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-USB-Headset-PlayStation-3/dp/B00008KXG5 )

The Microsoft LX-3000 is also a good one - my friend uses it on the PC, and he likes it:
Amazon has it for about $30 (http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-LifeChat-LX-3000-Headset-JUG-00001/dp/B000J4WPW8)

Someone else can answer your question about the quality of voice chat - I have not used it, so I have no idea.

-- Oxygen

Thanks! That's fantastic USB headsets can work. That Logitech one seems about right.

I'll bookmark this page for when I get a PS3.

Actually just noticed the Logitech headset even specifically says PS3. LOOKS better than the 360's set at least.

EDIT: Hmm, the customer reviews are mixed. Some say it works great, others that it's built cheap, or is too small, or doesn't work with (some?) PS3 games.

What I like about the Microsoft one (and I am sure there are other ones that do this) is the inline volume and mute controls. I do not know if the Logitech one has that, or if that even matters.

Here is a Logitech one that has inline controls (it is a bit more expensive at about $34, but it might be worth it): http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Premium-USB-Headset-980374-0403/dp/B0007SXHP0

I wonder why the headset does not work in Resistance. If I had a USB headset, I could check it out, but that seems slightly odd to me.

How do those ones that cover both ears work? Does the game audio get piped through the headset in addition to voice? I'm kind of confused by all this :)

I'm trying to find a list of one-ear wired headsets that are confirmed to work with the PS3, but to no avail :( Not all USB headsets work with the PS3 according to what I've read.

I have a Logitech PS2 headset on my PS3 right now, but it's VERY uncomfortable to wear, so I need a new one...

how is it like playing with a headset? can you have all the voices go to the headset so people dont blast through your stereo/tv and everyone in your house hearing them? lol

I really don't use online chat a lot, but I use my old PS2 USB headset more than my PS3 bluetooth set a lot more. The USB set is MUCH clearer but sending and receiving. Also, this one at least has inline volume and mute controls, and they work as easy as turning a knob or pressing a button. One of the big reasons I use the USB set besides the sound quality is because I can mute it and have no problems. When I mute the bluetooth set, it beeps every 2 or 3 seconds.

Anyway, from what I hear, any plug-and-play USB headset should work. You just need to set it up in the XMB first. You can't just plug it in midgame and expect it to work.

I used the Logitech PS3 headset for a really long time. Pristine quality and durable. It also has three interchangeable ear pieces for your comfort. It also drowns out any background noise really well.

I now have a bluetooth and regret the purchase. :[

Can you use any Bluetooth headset with the PS3? I don't feel like dropping $50 for one when I can just use the one for my cell phone.

[quote name='pantweasel']Can you use any Bluetooth headset with the PS3? I don't feel like dropping $50 for one when I can just use the one for my cell phone.[/QUOTE]

Most Bluetooths are compatible with the PS3. It's really easy to sync them up.

Make sure you just google the Bluetooth you're going to buy to see if it's compatible.

Why would you guys want a one eared headset? You would then lose the advantage of surround sound on your ears, would you not? Or is it a sound through design on the one ear, so you hear the voices but the sound of the game still comes through that ear as well?

[quote name='Brownjohn']I picked up this wired headset from best buy for $20: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Rocketf...d=9295915&st=rocketfish ps3 headset&cp=1&lp=2

It's very similar to the ps3, and I haven't had any issues with it yet. I sit pretty close to my ps3, so cable length isn't an issue, but I believe its about 10ft.[/QUOTE]

That looks nice! Just $20 and it certainly looks like what you'd want.

I bought I think a Logitech USB one from Amazon...I think. I have it in a box in my bedroom, and haven't actually used it yet. Maybe I'll get Street Fighter on sale though and give it a try.

[quote name='Snake2715']Why would you guys want a one eared headset? You would then lose the advantage of surround sound on your ears, would you not? Or is it a sound through design on the one ear, so you hear the voices but the sound of the game still comes through that ear as well?[/QUOTE]

The headset is used for only voice communication, so all voice comes in through the headset, but the game sounds still come through your normal speakers.

I think some headsets let you output the game sound through the headsets as well, but I prefer one-eared so I can still use my 5.1 sound system. My left ear hearing is a little lower since I have a headset over that ear, but it's not too bad since the earpiece doesn't cover my whole ear.

I will probably get that Rocketfish headset. It has good reviews. :)

ok guys thanks for the response. I figured it may be an issue as you are closing the one ear off to outside sound. i realize these are not over ear, but on ear headsets, but I have to imagine you are losing a good portion of the surround sound.

I may check out the rocketfish ones.

I use a usb sound card and a regular headset. Plug the speakers into the stereo and the mic into the sound card. Perfect sound and perfect voice input.

[quote name='Chronis']I really don't use online chat a lot, but I use my old PS2 USB headset more than my PS3 bluetooth set a lot more. The USB set is MUCH clearer but sending and receiving. Also, this one at least has inline volume and mute controls, and they work as easy as turning a knob or pressing a button. One of the big reasons I use the USB set besides the sound quality is because I can mute it and have no problems. When I mute the bluetooth set, it beeps every 2 or 3 seconds. .[/QUOTE]

This is also what I use. An old PS2 USB headset.

The cable is ten feet long, which reaches my couch easily. For an additional bit of length, I use a usb extension cable to give myself another 5 feet.

The sound is perfect, I didn't have to futz with anything, and it just works.

Edit: Crap. Responded to /this/ thread instead of the recent one.

bread's done
Back