Xbox games in 720p

neocisco

CAGiversary!
Feedback
313 (100%)
I'm trying to compile a list of Xbox games that run in 720p. If you know of one that isn't listed please post it. Thanks.

Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction
Mortal Kombat: Armageddon
Scarface
Soul Calibur II
True Crime: Streets of LA
The Warriors
X-Men Legends
X-Men Legends II: Rise of Apocalypse

Syberia, although it's bizarrely cropped and letterboxed. But it is a 720p resolution (I've played it). Soul Calibur II is 4:3 in 720p.

Here is a list I pulled from HDTV Arcade. I can't confirm them all.

25 to Life
Amped 2
Atari Anthology
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Crash Nitro Kart
Disney's Extreme Skate Adventure
Dragon's Lair 3D
Enter the Matrix
ESPN Major League Baseball 2K4
(16:9 only in 720p

ESPN NBA Basketball 2K4
Evil Dead: Regeneration
FIFA Soccer 2006
FIFA Street
FIFA Street 2
Freedom Fighters
The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction
Justice League Heroes
Mortal Kombat: Armageddon
MVP Baseball 2004
MVP Baseball 2005
MX Unleashed
MX vs. ATV Unleashed
NBA 2K3
NBA Ballers
NBA Live 2006
Scarface: The World is Yours
The Sims: Bustin' Out
Soul Calibur II
4:3 window in 720p

Steel Battalion: Line of Contact
Street Hoops
Syberia
Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4
Tony Hawk's Underground
Tony Hawk's Underground 2
Total Overdose
True Crime: Streets of L.A.
The Urbz: Sims In The City
Virtual Pool
The Warriors
World Series Baseball 2K4
X-Men Legends
X-Men Legends II: Rise of the Apocalypse

Sweet list huh? There were a few 1080 games, too but I think only 5 or fewer. I've played Scarface, Warriors, X Men Legends, and they all look AWESOME in 720p. Who says you have to spend $400 on an HD game machine?

It's weird that some of those games are 720p since several of them are just garbage. I have a few games that are marked as 16x9 though I can't remember which ones right now. I put in Burnout 3 the other day and it went into widescreen on it's own but it's not marked as 16x9 on the grid on the back of the game insert. I never really paid much attention to the 480p/720p details on Xbox games until I got an HDTV.

Those info boxes are ridiculously inaccurate. A ton of Xbox games are true widescreen compatible, but the box doesn't mention it. And sometimes the boxes show features that aren't highlighted, meaning the game doesn't support them. Which makes you wonder, why print it to begin with? But anyway, it's a lot of fun trying out old Xbox games on an HDTV, just to see what happens.

Hulk UD is in 720p? Sweet... nother excuse to play that awesome game again. Just button mashing goodness right there son!

OK, hopefully someone here can help me out. I'm trying to play some 720p-capable games on my Xbox. I'm using component hookups and everything is fine when I'm playing a 480p game. When I start a 720p game, though, I get a severely distorted picture. I have the Xbox set to "yes" for 480p, 720p and 1080i in the dashboard. I've tried different variations of turning some of them off to see if that affects it but no success. The Xbox is hooked up to a Mitsubishi WD-52631 DLP. If anybody can help me get this resolved I would really appreciate it. I want to do some HD gaming!

[quote name='Richard Longfellow']Those info boxes are ridiculously inaccurate. A ton of Xbox games are true widescreen compatible, but the box doesn't mention it. And sometimes the boxes show features that aren't highlighted, meaning the game doesn't support them. Which makes you wonder, why print it to begin with? But anyway, it's a lot of fun trying out old Xbox games on an HDTV, just to see what happens.[/quote]

I always hated the fact that options were listed on the back of boxes but because they weren't highlighted they weren't available. What was even worse was the fat it never seemed to be any kind of standard layout for what options would be placed and how they were placed.

I spent the week searching for xbox games for my 360 that would display in widescreen. I picked up Ninja Gaiden and Doom 3 for 20 bucks combined on ebay and half.com. Two great games that both have widescreen support.

[quote name='neocisco']OK, hopefully someone here can help me out. I'm trying to play some 720p-capable games on my Xbox. I'm using component hookups and everything is fine when I'm playing a 480p game. When I start a 720p game, though, I get a severely distorted picture. I have the Xbox set to "yes" for 480p, 720p and 1080i in the dashboard. I've tried different variations of turning some of them off to see if that affects it but no success. The Xbox is hooked up to a Mitsubishi WD-52631 DLP. If anybody can help me get this resolved I would really appreciate it. I want to do some HD gaming![/quote]

Do you have "widescreen" selected on the Xbox? I assume by "distorted" you mean horizontally squashed. Does your Mitsubishi accept 720p input? What aspect ratio do you have the TV set to? Usually it needs to be on "full" or whatever terminology Mitsubishi uses.

Here's a few pictures.

It is a widescreen TV and it does accept 720p. I have the Xbox set to "widescreen" and the TV set to "standard" which recognizes the source and shows it accordingly. If I turn off 720p in the Xbox it defaults to 480p and works fine. When I turn on 720p the screenshots are what I get.

[quote name='neocisco']Here's a few pictures.

It is a widescreen TV and it does accept 720p. I have the Xbox set to "widescreen" and the TV set to "standard" which recognizes the source and shows it accordingly. If I turn off 720p in the Xbox it defaults to 480p and works fine. When I turn on 720p the screenshots are what I get.[/quote]Dont be insulted, but you do have component cables right?
Could be shitty cables.

[quote name='Lupuri']Dont be insulted, but you do have component cables right?
Could be shitty cables.[/quote]

I have component cables. The picture is great when I set it to 480p but that's the result when it's set to 720p.

I've honestly never seen that. It looks like the set isn't combining the 3 signals, but then why only on 720p? I have no idea what to do other than start swapping parts. Unfortunately no cheap way to do that. Even the component cables themselves are hard to find, although occasionally you'll stumble across some at Gamestop for $8...

And I just finished redoing my entire A/V setup about 2 months ago. This sucks. I checked everything to make sure it was working right while I had it all pulled out but didn't think about this issue. Xbox is the only source I have right now that runs in 720p so I don't have anything else to use for comparison. Oh well, I'm sure I'll figure it out eventually.

Also, I was looking at the list of games on HDTV Arcade and it looks like literally 99.5% of the games run in 480p. Does anybody think that's inaccurate? It sounds too good to be true.

[quote name='neocisco']And I just finished redoing my entire A/V setup about 2 months ago. This sucks. I checked everything to make sure it was working right while I had it all pulled out but didn't think about this issue. Xbox is the only source I have right now that runs in 720p so I don't have anything else to use for comparison. Oh well, I'm sure I'll figure it out eventually.

Also, I was looking at the list of games on HDTV Arcade and it looks like literally 99.5% of the games run in 480p. Does anybody think that's inaccurate? It sounds too good to be true.[/quote]

That sounds about right. Around half of the games display in widescreen too, regardless of resolution. They just didn't mention it on the game boxes. Just keep "widescreen" on in your Xbox video menu and be prepared for some pleasant surprises. Good luck with the 720p problem.

[quote name='neocisco']And I just finished redoing my entire A/V setup about 2 months ago. This sucks. I checked everything to make sure it was working right while I had it all pulled out but didn't think about this issue. Xbox is the only source I have right now that runs in 720p so I don't have anything else to use for comparison. Oh well, I'm sure I'll figure it out eventually.[/QUOTE]

Is your Xbox connected directly to the TV set via component, or connected through another source such as a switch box?

A few other items to test: Are you able to set your Xbox dashboard to ProScan? [hold L&R triggers, then click L&R sticks down] Some Xbox consoles are not able to display certain 480p games correctly; some of these problems 'can' be corrected by connecting to Xbox LIVE. The auto-LIVE-update sometimes help.

Typically, these problems are associated between 480i vs 480p, not necessarily 720p. But it's good to know your Xbox settings; updates.

There's really only three things to test.

1) Xbox settings.
2) Connections.
3) TV settings.

btw, can't see those pictures. When you say, 'severely distored picture,' do you mean completely stretched, just the sides stretched, horizontal lines over-lapping, lines in black & white, or bad reception type picture?

okay, couple more things to try:

1) try disabling 1080i on your Xbox, then play the 720p game.
2) try enabling 1080i on your Xbox, and try a game like Dragon's Lair 3D or Enter the Matrix.

Let us know how it works out.

What kind of component cables do you have, neocisco, first-party or third-party? I have some crappy MadCatz cables, and in the middle of the cable there's a switch to switch between "TV" and "HDTV" mode. I forget if it's really necessary to have the switch set to HDTV to be able to see the list of different resolutions in the Xbox dashboard, but if there is such a switch on your cables see if it's set to HDTV.

Neo, have you tried different 720p games? I ask because I just tried Panzer Dragoon Orta in 480p on a new used 2005 model Xbox. It fails with a garbled video signal nearly identical to the ones you posted. Through the magic of Google, I have learned that 2 early 480p Xbox games, Panzer and JetSet Radio Future, will not display 480p on late model Xbox consoles with version 1.6 motherboards. So I'm suspecting video problems with your Xbox...

I have the same distortion problem with 720p and ESPN NBA 2K4. 480p mode works fine. Incredible Hulk Ultimate Destruction runs fine in 720p.

I'm using the Xbox Component Monster cables with a Panasonic Plasma.

I was also able to pick up the Xbox HD AV brick, so I might give that a try if there's any difference.

[quote name='Richard Longfellow']Neo, have you tried different 720p games? I ask because I just tried Panzer Dragoon Orta in 480p on a new used 2005 model Xbox. It fails with a garbled video signal nearly identical to the ones you posted. Through the magic of Google, I have learned that 2 early 480p Xbox games, Panzer and JetSet Radio Future, will not display 480p on late model Xbox consoles with version 1.6 motherboards. So I'm suspecting video problems with your Xbox...[/QUOTE]

There's a third title with those similar problems: Hunter the Reckoning: Redeemer. However, once you connect the console to Xbox LIVE and let it do its automated updates; might as well download free content while you're at it, the game will play fine.

It's been a long time but I figured I would update my situation. The original game I was using for 720p was Mortal Kombat: Armageddon. Its looks like it was that game that was causing the problem. I tried The Warriors and X-Men Legends II and they both worked fine in 720p. I don't own MK:A so that's no big loss.

You guys mentioned Panzer Dragoon Orta and Hunter:The Reckoning-Redeemer, which I have, having problems so I'll have to keep those in mind when I get around to playing them.

bread's done
Back