Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice2Dragon

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
July 29, 2008 Releases

The Band's Visit
Beowulf : Directors Cut (TruHD audio!!! WOOT!)
The Big White
Clear and Present Danger
Dark City
Doomsday (not a bad movie...looks phenomenal!)
Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle (Unrated?)
Harold and Kumar Go To Guantanemo Bay (Unrated)
Human Body : Pushing The Limits
Hunt For Red October
Lost Boys
Lost Boys : The Tribe (Is this a sequel or a prequel? Anyone)
Mortuary
Never back Down
Patriot Games
Perhaps Love
Robin Hood : Season 1
Salvage
Shine A Light
Stargate : Continuum
Sum Of All Fears
Tiger Blade
Top Gun (Wooo!!!)
Vengeance

Itll be updated every week, sorry guys. Ive had a very busy two weeks @_@

Helpful Links

AVS picture quality tier thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=858316
HDM reviews and new:
High Def Digest

Import Sites
www.xploitedcinema.com

Region Code Listing
http://bluray.liesinc.net

OP will be updated soon with more info.

Last edited by a moderator:
Already got superbad a week and a half ago..

Pirates is a must. Other than that, nothing really interests me otherwise.

Anyone else?

Are genres like Comedy even worth it for Blu Ray (or for that matter HD DVD)?If not I'll just get it on DVD.

Good thread idea, hope it stays updated.

[quote name='Blackout542']Are genres like Comedy even worth it for Blu Ray (or for that matter HD DVD)?If not I'll just get it on DVD.

Good thread idea, hope it stays updated.[/quote]

Yes, superbad is well damn worth it. It Looks amazing.

Granted, Comedies arent known for their special effects, but they are worth it.
Its 29.99 for all the extras regular dvd gets.. and that dvd costs what 22.99? 7 bucks more you get high def audio/video :)

Some comedies arent worth it in my opinion though..

Running with Scissors for one.. Sigh.

But Superbad is a must buy for Blu Ray.

MAsters of Horror Vol 4 and 20 Million Miles to Earth are coming out too

superbad is $18 at FYE after rebate with their membership card, same for pirates

superbad, Pirates, 20 million miles to earth are a must for me and i will wait for a deal on cast away to get closer to the $20 range

[quote name='Jedi1979']superbad, Pirates, 20 million miles to earth are a must for me and i will wait for a deal on cast away to get closer to the $20 range[/quote]

Good luck.

Theyre fox releases. Fox is always 34.99. Youll be waiting a while.

Wait until fry's does another all fox titles are 13.99.. I got avp/Kingdom for 30 shipped.

ill update if i can find somewhere cheaper.. but odds are... not gonna.

amazon is your friend...they have it for $27.95 with free shipping and no tax... i actually think i will end up using Amazon for almost all my hi-def purchases especially with Prime

[quote name='Ice2Dragon']Yes, superbad is well damn worth it. It Looks amazing.

Granted, Comedies arent known for their special effects, but they are worth it.
Its 29.99 for all the extras regular dvd gets.. and that dvd costs what 22.99? 7 bucks more you get high def audio/video :)

Some comedies arent worth it in my opinion though..

Running with Scissors for one.. Sigh.

But Superbad is a must buy for Blu Ray.[/quote]

I figured I'd just buy those action packed movies, since how much better can Comedy movies look? Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into Superbad.

[quote name='Blackout542']I figured I'd just buy those action packed movies, since how much better can Comedy movies look? Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into Superbad.[/quote]

Scary movie is one of the best looking comedies to date.

Put in the dvd, then the blu ray. Holy god. Amazing transfer.

[quote name='Ice2Dragon']Scary movie is one of the best looking comedies to date.

Put in the dvd, then the blu ray. Holy god. Amazing transfer.[/quote]

I'm actually a big fan of the Scary Movie series (yeah I know, you can stone me later) so I'll pick that up eventually. I still have to do my 5 free blu ray offer too.

POTC is a must have.

I wonder if Mr and Mrs Smith has anything new on it that would make it worth getting since I have it on DVD already.

I've been pondering getting a Blu-Ray player because I have the HD-DVD add-on for the 360, but some movies I want are Blu-Ray only... is the PS3 my best bet? or is there a slightly cheaper good stand-alone player?... I also have my two HDMI inputs used up on my receiver... one for the 360, one for my cable box... so, even though I can run another HDMI cable to my TV, I would have to use optical audio for one of the 3 devices... any idea which is best to use that with then?...

thanks for any info.

[quote name='DestroVega']I've been pondering getting a Blu-Ray player because I have the HD-DVD add-on for the 360, but some movies I want are Blu-Ray only... is the PS3 my best bet? or is there a slightly cheaper good stand-alone player?... I also have my two HDMI inputs used up on my receiver... one for the 360, one for my cable box... so, even though I can run another HDMI cable to my TV, I would have to use optical audio for one of the 3 devices... any idea which is best to use that with then?...

thanks for any info.[/quote]
PS3 is your best bet. You CAN find some BLu-ray players for cheaper (like this one
http://www.target.com/Sony-Blu-Ray-DVD-Player-BDPS300/dp/B000PALZE0/sr=1-1/qid=1196663041/ref=sr_1_1/601-1055513-4725701?ie=UTF8&index=target&rh=k%3Asony%20blu-ray&page=1

However, the PS3 is your best bet as it is completly future proof and does pretty much everything now except decode DTS-HD MA, which unless your geko, you probably won't notice. ;)

And I think we should just copy the 360 forum and call this the "Blu-ray Software Thread"

[quote name='whoknows']$18 AR for Pirates is pretty good and I wouldnt mind owning it since it was the best by far out of the 3 movies.[/quote]

Video wise its not been doing so well, only one site has given it five star video.. apparently the quality has gone down.. which doesnt make sense since they shot 2 and 3 at the same time using the same equipment.

Ill post more info on Tuesday.

And to the person asking about Mr/Mrs Smith

Not 100 percent sure, but I think all the dvd extras are ported over. Im getting it on Tuesday, and Ill post.

If a Mod stickies.. every week Ill update where to get the cheapest ones at.. as long as others are willing to help :)

The cheapest standalone player I've seen is the same price as the 40 Gb PS3. If you're a gamer, I can't think of a better choice for a BR player than the PS3.

Imma get Super Bad. I just got Ratatoiule (however its spelled) what an amazing Bluray. It is packed TIGHT with content... I love it.

Amazing CG work in that movie to. I just can't believe people acctually made everything in that movie. It's impossible.

[quote name='Robobandit']The cheapest standalone player I've seen is the same price as the 40 Gb PS3. If you're a gamer, I can't think of a better choice for a BR player than the PS3.[/quote]

Aren't there some features that the 40 Gb PS3 lacks?

[quote name='DestroVega']Aren't there some features that the 40 Gb PS3 lacks?[/quote]

In terms of blu-ray playback? Probably, but I'm not sure what they are. However, I use my Ps3 (60gb) as a blu-ray player and if I am missing something, I'm not aware of what it is.

In terms of gaming, it cannot play PS2 games. Only ps3 games and downloaded ps1 games, is my understanding.

[quote name='DestroVega']Aren't there some features that the 40 Gb PS3 lacks?[/quote]No, nothing in terms of BD playback.
See poster above for other gaming features that are lacking.

Do you guys mostly buy your Blu Rays in B&M stores or online? I hardly see any new release sales and for me at least, $30 for a movie is a steep price. (On another note, is the difference between the quality of an HD movie that much of a difference from an upscaled DVD? Is the extra dough worth it to purchase a Blu Ray copy of a movie instead of the DVD copy?) I've seen some BOGO sales online but the selection is slim at best.

Thank you for your insight.

[quote name='knightsdwn']Do you guys mostly buy your Blu Rays in B&M stores or online? I hardly see any new release sales and for me at least, $30 for a movie is a steep price. (On another note, is the difference between the quality of an HD movie that much of a difference from an upscaled DVD? Is the extra dough worth it to purchase a Blu Ray copy of a movie instead of the DVD copy?) I've seen some BOGO sales online but the selection is slim at best.

Thank you for your insight.[/quote]

Yes, it is very much so worth it. The extra money gives you a higher audio and video quality.. which is greatly noticed.

Upconversion sucks. You are upconverting something that is 480p to 1080p, the image isnt crisp or clean.

Now take something that is already 1080p. Big difference.

Guess target's website is incorrect..

[quote name='knightsdwn']Do you guys mostly buy your Blu Rays in B&M stores or online? I hardly see any new release sales and for me at least, $30 for a movie is a steep price. (On another note, is the difference between the quality of an HD movie that much of a difference from an upscaled DVD? Is the extra dough worth it to purchase a Blu Ray copy of a movie instead of the DVD copy?) I've seen some BOGO sales online but the selection is slim at best.

Thank you for your insight.[/QUOTE]

I but the majority of mine from amazon, but I also get a good amount of them from Best Buy (employee discount, but generally amazon still beats that).

When a DVD is past its first week of release they generally go up to $19.99. The $5 to $10 premium is well worth it.

Thank you for the quick responses.

I am just starting to switch my attention from regular DVD's to Blu Ray's. It'll be an adjustment paying an extra 10 bucks but as you guys said, the video and sound quality is worth paying premium.

[quote name='Ice2Dragon']
Guess target's website is incorrect..[/QUOTE]

i think amazon does most if not all of targets online stuff, so their blu ray's / hd dvd's have amazon prices

some people sya they'll match their website, but my target doesn't price match any store, so doesn't work for me

[quote name='knightsdwn']Thank you for the quick responses.

I am just starting to switch my attention from regular DVD's to Blu Ray's. It'll be an adjustment paying an extra 10 bucks but as you guys said, the video and sound quality is worth paying premium.[/quote]

Only if you have the right equipment.. I.e. 720p/1080p (preferably) and a sound system with DTS master audio, TRUE HD, etc.

I'm really torn to make the jump to Blu-Ray right now, or just hold myself in check for a little while longer... I'm guessing, if I take Superad as an example, the upconvertion of a regular DVD would still look pretty solid... decisions, decisions...

[quote name='Ice2Dragon']Only if you have the right equipment.. I.e. 720p/1080p (preferably) and a sound system with DTS master audio, TRUE HD, etc.[/quote]
Yeah got me a 46 inch 1080p Sony Bravia. Won't dabble in the audio though due to my small ass apartment.

[quote name='knightsdwn']Yeah got me a 46 inch 1080p Sony Bravia. Won't dabble in the audio though due to my small ass apartment.[/quote]Then oh yeah, it'll look great.

Realize that some movies look better than others.

www.highdefdigest.com has good reviews.

Anyone been able to find a movie..

Jin - Roh The Wolf Brigade

On blu ray? Its like 70 bucks.. I dont have an FYE or fry's near me.. sadly.

And BB CC etc doesnt carry it.. grr

[quote name='Ice2Dragon']Anyone been able to find a movie..

Jin - Roh The Wolf Brigade

On blu ray? Its like 70 bucks.. I dont have an FYE or fry's near me.. sadly.

And BB CC etc doesnt carry it.. grr[/quote]

$70 but it comes with a bunch of extras, one happens to be an art book. I'd try some of the sites that sell anime for this.

[quote name='NamPaehc']$70 but it comes with a bunch of extras, one happens to be an art book. I'd try some of the sites that sell anime for this.[/quote]

I got outbid on ebay by a buck.. went for 47.. grrr..

If anyone runs into it or has it lemme know.. Those anime sites suck with their shipping -_-V

So I got my free blu-rays in the mail for buying a ps3 and I really don't want to watch 4/5 of them. Is there some place I can trade them in for credit so I can at least buy something I want to watch?

[quote name='bigl523']So I got my free blu-rays in the mail for buying a ps3 and I really don't want to watch 4/5 of them. Is there some place I can trade them in for credit so I can at least buy something I want to watch?[/quote]

what did u get?

[quote name='Ice2Dragon']Stupid hd dvd bias reviews -_-V

That site is garbage...
[/QUOTE]

Hopefully people won't listen to you on this.

Good site for up to date news, esp. if you're purple. Like how they keep track of what's currently up for pre-order at Amazon. I don't read reviews for opinions about the movies themselves, but they do go into specs and which special features are HD specific.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back