Xbox Drive Going bad?

cvocvo

CAG Veteran
I'm like 99% sure my xbox drive is going bad. It's been having a lot of disc is dirty errors, I took it apart and cleaned it and it's still having the errors.
I have a spare dvd rom drive laying around, can I just plug that one in and use it insead? Or does it have to be a specific kind of drive? If it has to be a specific kind, what kind do I need to get? Where can I get one cheap, or is anyone willing to mail me one?

Thanks,
-Chris

[quote name='cvocvo']I'm like 99% sure my xbox drive is going bad. It's been having a lot of disc is dirty errors, I took it apart and cleaned it and it's still having the errors.
I have a spare dvd rom drive laying around, can I just plug that one in and use it insead? Or does it have to be a specific kind of drive? If it has to be a specific kind, what kind do I need to get? Where can I get one cheap, or is anyone willing to mail me one?

Thanks,
-Chris[/quote]

No, the DVD drives for Xboxes were proprietary builds with special connectors. What you can do is buy replacement lasers very cheap on ebay. Here is a site detailed drive repair for the different drive models...
http://www.llamma.com/xbox/Repairs/xbox_dvd_repair.htm

bread's done
Back