Javery

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
New 2-Track Single - Out April 16, 2011

supercollider.jpg

OUT NOW!!! :whee::whee::whee::whee::whee:

thekingoflimbs452.jpg

I haven't had a chance to grab it yet but I will when I get home from work today. There are 8 tracks and the album is very short by Radiohead's standards. Also, not all of the songs are new. Tracklisting:

01 Bloom
02 Morning Mr. Magpie
03 Little By Little
04 Feral
05 Lotus Flower
06 Codex
07 Give Up The Ghost
08 Seperator

One interesting thing to note is that people have started to speculate (already) that this may only be the first 1/2 of the record. THe last track called "Seperator" contains the line "If you think this is over, then you’re wrong."

More Radiohead would be :drool::drool::drool::drool:

I can't wait to get home and listen!!

[quote name='Pitchfork']And...they're back. Radiohead have just announced their eighth full-length record, The King of Limbs. Billed as the world's first "Newspaper Album," an extravagantly packaged version of the record will be issued on May 9; however, the music itself will effectively be issued on Saturday, February 19 when digital downloads become available to those who made pre-orders. [/QUOTE]

I cannot wait!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='VanillaGorilla']I don't "get" Radiohead.[/quote]

You need to watch the "Scott Tenorman Must Die" episode of South Park and you'll understand.

[quote name='Magehart']You need to watch the "Scott Tenorman Must Die" episode of South Park and you'll understand.[/quote]I've seen it many times. I guess I'm not cool enough to understand their brand of Art Rock.

[quote name='javeryh']Another great release...[/quote]

But where can I get it, other than in the discbox? It's not on InRainbows.com...

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']I don't "get" Radiohead.[/quote]

That's fine. I don't "get" a lot of popular bands. I've been listening to them obsessively since "The Bends" came out so they don't seem so weird to me but I've never been able to get someone into them who hasn't liked them along the way. My wife (who shares most of the same musical tastes as I do) just calls it noise. If the first CD of theirs I ever heard was "Kid A" I'm pretty sure I wouldn't give it a second listen.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']I don't "get" Radiohead.[/QUOTE]

They were a pretty good rock band. But they woke up one day and said, "Y'know, we put out some pretty good rock music, but what we REALLY want to do is crappy techno."

I've never seen a band do a 180 like they did.

[quote name='argyle']They were a pretty good rock band. But they woke up one day and said, "Y'know, we put out some pretty good rock music, but what we REALLY want to do is crappy techno."

I've never seen a band do a 180 like they did.[/quote]

The progression from The Bends to OK Computer to Kid A ... to In Rainbows is actually pretty fluid. What do you want out of a band? For them to release a great CD and remake it for the next 20 years like 95% of all bands out there?

If it's a choice between a band doing that and switching from a style I like to a style I don't like, I'd take the remaking. I think Coldplay is a perfect example of a band that has a formula and sticks to it. I love all their discs, but they certainly don't have a lot of variety to their sound. Radiohead, while I still enjoy them, has produced a lot of recent music that I just can't listen to without getting a headache. The Bends was brilliant...OK Computer was damn near flawless...but from Kid A onward it's been a mixed bag and I haven't been 100% into that. Not a knock on them, because if bands never evolved The Beatles would never have been great, but it's certainly my opinion on the matter.

And again, where can I access the 2nd disc without getting the discbox or pirating it?

Hm, Kid A is actually my favorite Radiohead album. Amnesiac is up there. I'm not really a fan of The Bends. Ok Computer is an excellent classic. In Rainbows is pretty great.

Oh, and I absolutely despise Coldplay.

Also, javeryh, Kid A was the first Radiohead album that I actually liked. Everything else I'd heard up to that point (which was extremely limited) sort of turned me off of them.

[quote name='javeryh']The progression from The Bends to OK Computer to Kid A ... to In Rainbows is actually pretty fluid. What do you want out of a band? For them to release a great CD and remake it for the next 20 years like 95% of all bands out there?[/QUOTE]

There's absolutely nothing fluid about the change between OK Computer to Kid A. They went from making actual songs to putting out techno gibberish.

If you *like* techno gibberish, that's great. But I don't call a band completely changing their style progression.

You can throw me in with the confused "where do I obtain this second disc?" crowd. And I'm still a staunch "retailist" when it comes to albums, so I'm still waiting for the physical goods to surface.

Is this out on their website? Is this some black market bootlegger brouhaha?

costanza-frank.gif

"Now if I don't get answers, there's gonna be Hell ta pay for whoever's neck I can get my hands on first!"

Where is it?... Im sick of how often these forums have lately gotten so off topic and just become arguements...

edit- either you like radiohead or dont... if you dont... dont post in a thread about their new cd. No one cares if you dont like them.

[quote name='karmapolice']Where is it?... Im sick of how often these forums have lately gotten so off topic and just become arguements...

edit- either you like radiohead or dont... if you dont... dont post in a thread about their new cd. No one cares if you dont like them.[/quote]

You're forgetting that people don't care that you like them.

[quote name='Squall835']You're forgetting that people don't care that you like them.[/quote]

Of course no one really cares about anything anonymous nerds have to say on a random internet forum. However, since we obviously enjoy having these meaningless conversations, common courtesy dictates that negative opinions should kept to yourself unless asked. If people hate Radiohead then they can go start a thread about it - I'll be sure not to post in it.

Hey guys, I have an idea. Why don't I start a thread where I take a shitty band, call them awesome, and then bitch out and cry to anyone who disagrees with my opinion?

Oh wait nevermind it's too late.

[quote name='adamska2020']Hey guys, I have an idea. Why don't I start a thread where I take a shitty band, call them awesome, and then bitch out and cry to anyone who disagrees with my opinion?

Oh wait nevermind it's too late.[/quote]

LOL!!

I don't get the "I don't get Radiohead" argument. Take out Kid A and Amnesiac and they are a great rock band, there really isn't anything to "get." I also consider OK Computer just as accessible as The Bends.

In Rainbows has already achieved classic Bends and OK status for me, I could listen to that album for years (been listening to it every day since the release). Thom Yorke's The Eraser kicks major ass as well.

P.S. Thanks for the link. Will give it a listen asap.

[quote name='jaso']Consult the chart:

2086400075_05b5738f2e.jpg
[/quote]

OK Computer should be above The Bends in my opinion. ;)

Thanks for the heads-up, jav.

[quote name='prmononoke']Hm, Kid A is actually my favorite Radiohead album. Amnesiac is up there. I'm not really a fan of The Bends. Ok Computer is an excellent classic. In Rainbows is pretty great.

Oh, and I absolutely despise Coldplay.

Also, javeryh, Kid A was the first Radiohead album that I actually liked. Everything else I'd heard up to that point (which was extremely limited) sort of turned me off of them.[/quote]

Agreed on all fronts.

[quote name='yukine']OK Computer should be above The Bends in my opinion. ;)

Thanks for the heads-up, jav.[/quote]

Ok Computer should be be so high up it is off the chart. It is easily their best album.

I don't particularly like techno but I love The Eraser. Shit's not even techno, it's much more melodic electronic shit whereas most techno is the same shit over and over.

[quote name='yukine']OK Computer should be above The Bends in my opinion. ;)

Thanks for the heads-up, jav.[/quote]

Not if you're a fan of the purely instrumental Radiohead. OK Computer was a terrific album, don't get me wrong, but I put it below The Bends because 1) The Bends (IMO) is one of the best rock albums ever recorded, and 2) because OK Computer was the start of the "musical experimentation" Radiohead, only the very-lite version.

[quote name='javeryh']Another great release...[/quote]

thanks Javeryh. didn't realize this was out.

question: does this one "rock" a little more than disc 1. don't get me wrong, disc 1 is great (it took me a few listens to warm up to it though) but i'm looking forward to something a little closer to the bends which is my favorite.

[quote name='senorwoohoo']I don't particularly like techno but I love The Eraser. Shit's not even techno, it's much more melodic electronic shit whereas most techno is the same shit over and over.[/quote]

I totally agree. I really don't like techno at all but I love "space rock" (for lack of a better term) which is what I'd categorize it as... although it is heavy on the beats as opposed to someone like Failure who is more rock and less space. The Eraser is awesome.

[quote name='wildnuts02']question: does this one "rock" a little more than disc 1. don't get me wrong, disc 1 is great (it took me a few listens to warm up to it though) but i'm looking forward to something a little closer to the bends which is my favorite.[/quote]

It "rocks" less than Disc 1, unfortunately. It's still very very good though.

[quote name='javeryh']I totally agree. I really don't like techno at all but I love "space rock" (for lack of a better term) which is what I'd categorize it as... although it is heavy on the beats as opposed to someone like Failure who is more rock and less space. The Eraser is awesome.[/QUOTE]

You know Failure, therefore you win. Do listen to Autolux?

Also, I wouldn't call Radiohead's latest stuff or The Eraser space rock, but moreso just electronica-rock, if we want to get into labeling it, that is. I just say that it's good, forward-thinking music.

[quote name='senorwoohoo']You know Failure, therefore you win. Do listen to Autolux?

Also, I wouldn't call Radiohead's latest stuff or The Eraser space rock, but moreso just electronica-rock, if we want to get into labeling it, that is. I just say that it's good, forward-thinking music.[/quote]

yeah, I like Autolux but I think I tend to like the Ken Andrews projects more (ON, Year of the Rabbit, Replicants, etc.). His new solo CD is pretty good too.

I also agree with "electronica-rock" as a better label for The Eraser - I love that stuff. Know of any similar sounding bands that rock out but kind of have some beeps and whistles and shit going on in the background? The Postal Service is similar sort of but a lot lighter/softer sounding music...

So should I check out Andrews' stuff?

Dntel is close to very close The Postal Service, since half of TPS is Dntel himself. I can't think of any others right now 'cause I'm at work, but I'll try to let you know later.

[quote name='senorwoohoo']So should I check out Andrews' stuff?[/quote]

Absolutely. The first ON album (Shifting Skin) is one of my all time favorites. Every song is great (and it's similar to The Eraser in that it's heavy on the electronica). If you have trouble locating it I could send you a copy - I try to get as many people as I can to listen to it because I think everyone should like it as much as I do.

[quote name='senorwoohoo']Dntel is close to very close The Postal Service, since half of TPS is Dntel himself. I can't think of any others right now 'cause I'm at work, but I'll try to let you know later.[/quote]

I've got the most recent Dntel album - it's pretty good. Actually, song #4 (the duet with Jenny something) is fantastic. I'd love any other suggestions you've got...

[quote name='javeryh']Absolutely. The first ON album (Shifting Skin) is one of my all time favorites. Every song is great (and it's similar to The Eraser in that it's heavy on the electronica). If you have trouble locating it I could send you a copy - I try to get as many people as I can to listen to it because I think everyone should like it as much as I do.[/quote]

Thanks! I'll let you know how it goes.

[quote name='javeryh']I've got the most recent Dntel album - it's pretty good. Actually, song #4 (the duet with Jenny something) is fantastic. I'd love any other suggestions you've got...[/QUOTE]

If you can, PM me at like 8 tonight and I'll try to get some suggestions for ya.

[quote name='javeryh']Absolutely. The first ON album (Shifting Skin) is one of my all time favorites.... [/quote]
I'll second pretty much everything here...Shifting Skin is one of my great "underappreciated" CDs, and his new solo stuff is really strong, too.

[quote name='javeryh']I've got the most recent Dntel album - it's pretty good. Actually, song #4 (the duet with Jenny something) is fantastic. I'd love any other suggestions you've got...[/quote]
That's Jenny Lewis from Rilo Kiley. You might dig their new CD, Under the Blacklight...it's got some swanky electro elements to it.

[quote name='jaso']Consult the chart:

2086400075_05b5738f2e.jpg
[/QUOTE]

This chart sucks.

Kid A > OK Computer > The Bends > Hail to the Theif > Amnesiac > Pablo Honey

I haven't heard In Rainbows yet.

bread's done
Back