Daikatana free, GameTap makes John Romero its bitch.

Thanks for the tip OP.

I remember before this game released all the hype I read about it, thinking it was going to be so great....but then of course with the reviews and the general crappiness aparent I never picked it up....

Looking forward now to going home tonight and seeing just how much of a POS this is.

I bought it when it went on sale way back when for about $8. Once you get past the first level (with all the killer robotic frogs and dragonflies) it's not bad. Graphics-wise it doesn't hold up, and the henchman are terrible, but it's actually quite fun to play co-op. The Ancient Greece level was slick.

-HM

It's been my experience that most people who complain about the game have never played it. And if they have, they never bothered to play through the first (admittedly atrocious) level.

-HM

If anyone's wondering about the title, its a play on the original ad for the game.
[quote name='wiki']An early advertisement for Daikatana, created by marketing guru Mike Wilson and approved by Romero, was an orange poster with large black lettering proclaiming "John Romero's about to make you his bitch". Nothing else was featured on this poster but a small tag-line reading "Suck It Down," an Ion Storm logo and an Eidos logo.[/quote]

[quote name='Xevious']What is John Romero doing these days?[/quote]Probably trying to live down the emberasement that is this game.:lol:

I remember downloading an MP3 from MP3.com made up of quotes from this shittacular game. Superfly Johnson... ugh.

after i shelled out the money for this game at launch (and beat it), I mailed the broken disk to the address in the instruction book with a polaroid picture of dog crap. i actually got an email reply. smiley face and dollar signs.

[quote name='WeLoveDaisuke']I remember downloading an MP3 from MP3.com made up of quotes from this shittacular game. Superfly Johnson... ugh.

after i shelled out the money for this game at launch (and beat it), I mailed the broken disk to the address in the instruction book with a polaroid picture of dog crap. i actually got an email reply. smiley face and dollar signs.[/quote]

You, sir, deserve a medal for that. I'm glad Romero made Daikatana; it gives gamers something to laugh about to this day.

So, how do free GameTap games work? Am I forever bound to GameTap to play them, or is GameTap just used to download it? Sorry for the question, but I'm a GameTap noob.

I've heard several stories about the development of that game (and stuff in the office before). One of them was that they worked in that glass building in Dallas, Texas. Well, anyone that knows anything about Texas knows that during the summer months, the devil himself could vacation here and feel right at home...yeah, it's HOTTER THAN HELL. Anywho, it was so bright and hot in the building because of the glass, that most of the ppl had stuff draped over the tops of their cubicles in order to block out the sun (then again, it's not like most programmer are known for their sun loving ways).

Another one I remember reading somewhere was the 1300 pixel arrow. Romero was one that believe in letting creators create, i.e. few limitations. Unfortunately, in game development there is really a need for some type of structure in order for the different parts of a game being developed to be able to come together and actually work. So, one artist was tasked with creating an arrow sprite (a graphic to be used in the game to represent an arrow shot at someone in the game). Since the artist was given no guidelines as to how or what size/quality to make the arrow, he decided to make the best looking arrow he could. He turned in an image of an arrow to be used for the sprite that was 1300 pixels long! Keep in mind when Daikatana came out and what resolution most ppl were using on their games/monitors at the time (yeah, the arrow was FRIGGIN HUGE, as in WAY to big to be used in the game). Needless to say, there went a few of Eidos's dollars down the drain.

When Ion Storm Dallas shut down, some of their stuff (and ppl if I remember correctly) came here to Austin (Ion Storm Austin, creators of Deus Ex). Well, apparantly they were doing some house cleaning at one time because the local Goodwill thrift stores had TONS of copies of Daikatana on their shelves for a while (and yes, even at Goodwill prices they just SAT there...lol).

[quote name='Xevious']What is John Romero doing these days?[/quote]

Living in a hole next to the worlds largest landfill of ET cartridges. Daikatana hole is 3 meters to the left of it, Romeros hole is connected by a tunnel to the Daikatana one.

[quote name='hordak']So, how do free GameTap games work? Am I forever bound to GameTap to play them, or is GameTap just used to download it? Sorry for the question, but I'm a GameTap noob.[/quote]

Glad you asked. The best thing about today is you go to the link at the tope and click the "play" button on the page. Then in the client there's a section called free games. Download and play away!

I do recommend creating a profile to play online and post scores in the leaderboards. I can just never find anyone to play darkstalkers with and would like some competition.

[quote name='Xevious']What is John Romero doing these days?[/quote]

Sarcasm aside, he just worked on Orcs and Elves, the first-person dungeon mobile game and now for DS. Supposedly he's working on Orcs and Elves 2 for cell phones....

bread's done
Back