CAGcast #99: The Great One

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
Our 4th live show, but our 1st broadcast on NowLive.com. CheapyD gives hands (and feet) on impressions of Wii Fit, Chris Grant (Joystiq) and bapenguin (Evil Avatar) call in to discuss GameSpot Gerts-gate, we take your live calls, and so much more!

Win one of 3 PS2 Console+Buzz bundles from UGO and the CAGcast
Win Super Mario Galaxy and/or Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles
CAGcast Theme Song Contest! Win $100 CASH!

Last show's winners:
PGR4: BigD63, lurknomore
COD4: ctgoodman, misbitski

WWE drawing coming soon...

[media]http://media.libsyn.com/media/cheapyd/cagcast99.mp3[/media]
Download - 105 minutes, 48MB
[digg]http://digg.com/podcasts/CAGcast[/digg]
Past CAGcasts

If you want to hear the completely unedited version (at a lower bitrate), you can get it here.
Chat room log

Show Linkage/Notes
(click the button below to expand):

Bonus Pics!

It's not much different. I had to do a lof of manual work to synch up the recording of the callers with the direct audio from myself and Wombat. There was some very light trimming as well. I highly recommend listening to the official version...you aren't missing anything and will get much higher quality audio.

Hey, one of the COD4 winners has a name awful similar to mine (phonetically, at least). If he fails to accept the prize for any reason, I'll be more than willing to substitute myself in. ;)

the live show was fun. i enjoyed chatting with the CAGs and i liked hearing Cheapy and Wombat before the show started to hear them getting prepared. the chat was crazy tho, make me a mod next time Cheapy and i'll help you boot the spammers. :)

This live show was infinitely better than the past live attempts, and I'm not just saying that because I was on it. ;)

The extended Gerstmann discussion (with special guests!) was appreciated, although I didn't get to pay too close attention because I was busy trying to call in. One thing that I have not really seen discussed, other than in N'gai Croal's teriffic post on the topic, is that the big gaming sites like IGN and GameSpot should really make an attempt to court more tangentially related advertising (soda, fast food, shoes, stereo equipment, and other products and services gamers use, but that these sites do not directly cover) and try and cut down on advertising so many games. Because it's gotten to a point where a conflict of interests is unavoidable, even when, as Chris said, there's a "strong wall" between advertising and editorial. It's just like investing wisely. You want your money in a broad range of stocks and bonds so if one sector tanks, the others will balance it out. If these publications diversified their ad portfolio, they wouldn't be forced to cater to game publishers as much because they'd have many other sources of ad income.

Will post more comments after I listen to the podcast version.

Wombat,

I loved Eternal Champions on Sega CD. This game was very innovative in that:

1) Fatalities improved on from Mortal Kombat
2) Vendetta Kills - Some enemies killed enemies at the start of the round. Larson, ex-cop, pulls out a shotgun and blows off the head of the Outlaw at the round fight screen. SWEET!
3) Overkills - This game came out slightly before MK and it involved having the background kill the enemy. Kind of like "The Pit" in MK. Every stage had one and you had to play for hours to find each one.
4) Cinekills - If you died on the final boss fight, he would kill each character according to his/her own worst nightmare. The assassin Shadow was assassinated with her own throwing stars. These scenes were fully 3D rendered and very nice.
5) Cast of playable characters was small but each had unique fighting styles.

I'm praying for a remake of the Sega CD version on the 360. You, would love it. By the way, can't find the contest forum at ugo. Please help. Love the show!

Definately a fun podcast. The stuff with Chris was especially good. Guest commentators mix up the pacing and add a nice touch. Though I'd have prefered Ron Workman's take on Gerstmanngate.

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']The download link is to cagcast 98 not 99.[/QUOTE]
bro i just dled it, its ep 99

Just finished listening to the cagcast and cheapy I have a suggestion for next week's cagcast. Try a guest co-host next week and see how that goes over. With wombat moving I don't think many people would mind if he misses a cagcast, I know I won't.

I actually had some time to listen to the live show and make stupid 6th grader comments. I was laughing between the comments and the show.

I have to say Wombat is Peter Parker. I watched Spidey 3 the other day (1st half good/2nd half fell apart big time) and I was like, “Whose voice is that?"

“It sounds like someone I know??? It's that show. What show? I don't watch alot of TV. Another actor perhaps? A game? No it's frickin' Wombat's voice. Wombat is Peter Parker. :shock:”

Wombat.
It's Tricky is also on singstar 80's.

Also its tricky to rock a rhyme thats right on time. its trickayyyyyyyyyyyyy.

/correction.

I lolled when Cheapy called out Mangod Shane and his hype of the DualShock 3 rumble. At least you always know that Cheapy calls it likes he sees it.

[quote name='Kestastrophe']I lolled when Cheapy called out Mangod Shane and his hype of the DualShock 3 rumble. At least you always know that Cheapy calls it likes he sees it.[/quote]

Wasn't Shane's opinion of DualShock 3 after usng it during a Metal Gear demo? Maybe it has more functionality available if the game designer builds it into their game. That or Shane's fibbing again.

[quote name='Justden']Wasn't Shane's opinion of DualShock 3 after usng it during a Metal Gear demo? Maybe it has more functionality available if the game designer builds it into their game. That or Shane's fibbing again.[/quote]

Shane has a penchant for blowing everything Sony out of proportion.

Shane did try to explain that it felt like that for MGS4 which could be for that game only. but other editors on 1up didn't feel it so the Mangod could be totally hallucinating.

Mangod does not hallucinate.
I have a good picture for this.

motivator8294845.jpg

The Jeff fired story ran way too long. I wish you would of looked at the chat room, it had a lot "wrap it up" and "ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzz"

Also where is the David Shepherd pic?

[quote name='InuFaye']Mangod does not hallucinate.
I have a good picture for this.

motivator8294845.jpg
[/quote]

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

[quote name='misfit13b']Hey, one of the COD4 winners has a name awful similar to mine (phonetically, at least). If he fails to accept the prize for any reason, I'll be more than willing to substitute myself in. ;)[/QUOTE]

No shot. Pretenders to the throne be damned...the real MISBITSKI is here! :)

So how do I claim my price anyway? I never win anything. lol

I want to hear Cheapy actually say the ad for the Navy while recording the podcast, instead of inserting it after its recorded.

i loved wombats cheesy radio dj voice. I think livenow is better since i can listen to the cagcast live at work. I am on the west coast so i can listen to the first hour before i have to get out of work. Stickcam is blocked by my companies web security. The talk with chris grant went on for too long. Part of me felt if i wanted to listen to chris i would listen to the joystiq podcast but i guess his interactions with cheapy and wombat were somewhat entertaining. Its nice to see so many contests. The Cagcast is moving further up to the far east side. Are we going to hear from your parents again cheapy if they are still in town for episode 100? Cheapydad/cheapygrandpa wii fit review? Will wombats mom win the theme song contest so she can be on the 100th show? Perhaps we can hear from both mrs cheapy and wombat for this special episode or even tai and zelda. Maybe a two part episode half live and half recorded. Im sure you going to take the holiday week off so why not make it a huge episode. Good luck with the move wombat and the mrs wombat

Wombat, don't throw your stuff out. Instead donate it. It's wasteful to throw it out when someone else may enjoy it.

[quote name='CheapyD']
[/quote]

looks close except for the nose. so which girl is your character gonna bed? heh

[quote name='CheapyD']http://archive.nowlive.com/c39823.aspx[/quote]

holy crap, i can read everything i wrote. but wait, i noticed a few people weren't logged so it looks like i was replying to nothing...amusing

[quote name='misbitski']No shot. Pretenders to the throne be damned...the real MISBITSKI is here! :)
[/QUOTE]

D'oh! ;)

(Congratulations, BTW.)

[quote name='shieryda']I still don't understand what this episode has to do with Wayne Gretzky.[/QUOTE]

You mean besides the number?

Vin Cheapy??

The callers were not obnoxious or annoying on the whole, just fairly uninteresting. No, you can't win, folks.

I also thought the audio quality for most of the non-'special guest' callers was crap.

It's weird...the live shows should have more 'juice', more 'oomph', but it seems that the opposite usually happens.

(Gets permabanned)

bread's done
Back