Official PixelJunk Thread - 4/20: PixelJunk 4AM out May 15, Beta for PS+ Begins May 1

FriskyTanuki

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)

So why PixelJunk? Cuthbert decided that they wanted a brand for their indie output, thus calling each title PixelJunk in the series, and letting consumers identify that each dissimilar design was made by the same 'brand'.

So, what of the constraints? The PixelJunk series is set to be created by 5 or less people in 6 months or less - any game design they came up with must fit this requirement. In addition, the concepts needed to be 2D in terms of design - though he revealed that Series 2 of PixelJunk will be unique ways of using 3D in games. Later in the session, he revealed that Series 2 would "...maybe take some of the old 3D looks and bring them up to the full HD kind of style."
PixelJunk 1-1:
Genre: Slot Car Racing
Release Date: 9/13/07
PSN Price: $6.99
Metacritic Average: 62
CAG Consensus: Sales Only
Info:
PixelJunk™ Racers is an addictive slot car racing game that supports 1080p and features single player and multiplayer fun (up to 7 players simultaneously offline!). Intuitive controls, 32 different race modes, and online rankings will provide countless hours of racing mayhem.

KEY FEATURES
  • Unlimited Racing Action – 16 core racing modes with varying degrees of difficulty for a total of 32 modes, including an in-depth single-player tournament and offline multiplayer modes (up to 7 players!).
  • Full HD at 1080p – Speed through 10 richly detailed courses.
  • SIXAXIS™ Wireless Controller - Use the controller’s left and right buttons on the D-pad to steer through traffic, master cornering, and overtake rival vehicles.
  • Global Online Ranking – Play for your personal best in Score Attack and see how you stack up against other racers worldwide.

PixelJunk 1-2:
Genre: RTS - Tower Defense
Release Date: 1/24/08
PSN Price: $9.99
Metacritic Average: 81
CAG Consensus: Buy Now!
Info:
Inspired by the popular and addictive "tower defense" genre, PixelJunk™ Monsters takes the simple real-time strategy concept of building, researching and base defending and presents it in a uniquely attractive style. With meticulously hand-drawn 2D art, PixelJunk™ Monsters recreates the look of a classic with crisp graphics designed for optimal viewing in Full 1080p HD.

In PixelJunk™ Monsters, the player controls a defender-of-the-forest character in a lush 2D environment. The player's goal is to strategically defend the pathway to his homebase from an onslaught of various threatening monsters. In between waves of monster attacks, the player scrambles to reinforce his defenses by collecting gold coins and jewels from fallen enemies to finance new towers and research deadlier weapons. Eventually, the player can harness the elements throughout the 20 different stages to cast lightning storms across the forest. Gamers can enjoy PixelJunk™ Monsters with a friend in offline co-op mode, which requires careful strategy and communication. Additionally, PixelJunk™ Monsters will support online leaderboards for both 1p and 2p co-op.

KEY FEATURES
  • Simple But Deep – Simple controls make PixelJunk™ Monsters easy to learn. But mastering the challenges of tower upgrade and placement requires deep strategic thinking, leading to hours of addictive gameplay.
  • Visually Charming – PixelJunk™ Monsters features a unique hand-drawn art style with over 20 stages and weather effects.
  • Distinctive Music – Features original music and sound by Japanese ambient techno group Otograph.
  • Online Leaderboards – For tracking both single player and co-op high scores.
  • Remote Play - Supports Remote Play for PSP® system.
Expansions: PixelJunk Monsters Encore
Release Date: May 8, 2008
PSN Price: $5.99
Content: 15 new levels, new music, Ice Tower unlocked, cheaper Tesla Tower, and some secrets.

PixelJunk 1-3:
image_100x100.jpg

Genre: Organic Platformer
Release Date: July 31, 2008
Metacritic Average: TBD
CAG Consensus: Try the Demo and Buy It
Info:
PixelJunk™ Eden is the third PSN title from the addictive PixelJunk series by Japanese developer Q-Games. Utterly unique and spell-bindingly beautiful, PixelJunk™ Eden welcomes you to a psychedelic world unlike anything you’ve ever experienced before. As a tiny, silk-spinning ‘grimp’, it is up to you to collect the lost “Spectra” that have been scattered across all the gardens of Eden. You grip, jump and swing, destroying “Prowlers” and collecting their pollen which lets you grow more plants to take you further and deeper into the garden to locate the precious ‘Spectra.’ Lush visuals, slick controls and amazing music make it an incredibly atmospheric and addictive experience.

Key Features:

• Stunning Visuals - Stylish graphics and dynamic animations brought to life in gorgeous 1080p HD
  • Multiplayer Co-op - Local co-op play to for up to three players
  • Trophy and Online Support - Unlock Trophies and track high scores via online leaderboards
  • Video Recording - Record gameplay videos to the hard drive or upload directly to YouTube™
  • Remote Play - Supports Remote Play for PSP® system

PixelJunk 1-4: PixelJunk Shooter
image_97x97.jpg

Genre: Shooter
Release Date: December 10, 2009
Metacritic Average: 87
CAG Consensus: Buy It
Info:
In PixelJunk™ Shooter, players pilot a subterranean exploration vehicle to explore the interior of diverse cave-like complexes. The player must affect the surrounding and dynamic terrain to progress. The goal is to safely navigate through each vivid stage and rescue survivors scattered about the cavernous environment. Each stage is in-effect a flow simulation whereby the player attempts to control various types of liquid (water, magma, etc) and solid matter (rock, earth) either by destroying it, manipulating it or moving it. These dynamic fluid effects are at the heart of the game’s visuals.

Strategy is paramount in PixelJunk™ Shooter. The piloted craft is susceptible to extremes of heat, so the player must be careful about the craft’s proximity to magma. If the craft becomes too hot, the player can regain a comfortable temperature by plunging into the nearest water source. Additionally, each stage presents a puzzle scenario for the player to solve in order to safely rescue as many survivors as possible. Both environmental elements and enemies, including Bosses, will attempt to hamper the player’s progress.

PixelJunk™ Shooter is the fourth game in Q-Games’ PixelJunk series, which blends simple, addictive gameplay with crisp and attractive graphics designed for optimal viewing in full 1080p High Definition.

KEY FEATURES

• Distinctive Visuals and Music – Features several unique stages with stylishly designed graphics and original music.
  • Fluid Dynamics and Effects – The dynamic rendition of water, magma and other substances is the visual centerpiece in PixelJunk™ Shooter
  • Stages as Puzzles - Players attempt to change the terrain and environment around them to progress. It often takes strategy, planning and old-fashioned trial and error to succeed.
  • Online Rankings and YouTube Uploading – Share your scores and game footage with the world.
  • Rumble Support – Feel the effects when the craft bumps into the cavern’s wall.
  • Remote Play – Supports Remote Play for PSP® system.
  • Trophy Support – PixelJunk™ Shooter will fully support PlayStation Trophies.
PixelJunk 1-4a: PixelJunk Shooter 2
npua-80396-packfront.jpg

Release Date: March 1, 2011
Metacritic Average: 82
CAG Consensus: Buy It If You Liked PJS1
Info:
Much like PixelJunk Shooter, PixelJunk Shooter 2 is a complex and dynamic fluid simulation system, which fills the game world with flowing liquids and hazardous gases, and provides the game its distinctive style. Blast holes in walls or use your ship itself to drill past scorching hot magma. The fluids react in real-time to the player's actions and to other liquids, creating unique and exciting situations with every play. The goal of the game is to keep cool (the player's ship is susceptible to overheating) whilst finding and rescuing the many helpless, stranded survivors. Players will need to master the deformable terrain, the flowing liquids and the fierce life forms as they proceed deeper into ever more challenging environments.

PixelJunk 1-4b: PixelJunk Sidescroller
npua-80567-packfront.jpg

Release Date: October 25, 2011
Metacritic Average: TBD
CAG Consensus: TBD
Info:
Q-Games goes old-school with a completely retro side-scrolling shooter. Reinventing the genre from the ground up while maintaining that nostalgic feeling, PixelJunkTM SideScroller is a bit of "side story" fun from the developers of the critically acclaimed PixelJunkTM Shooter. Dodge flurries of alien bullets and strategically upgrade your weapons as you battle your way through sweeping stages full of hazardous fluid and endless shooting mayhem. PixelJunkTM SideScroller is not just the same old-school side-scrolling shooter!

Key Features:

That Nostalgic Feeling - Breathing new life into a much-loved genre, PixelJunkTM SideScroller will put a new spin on those fond childhood memories of playing arcade shooters.
Vector-like Visuals - Water, magma, metal - and many other exciting fluids - get the PixelJunkTM treatment. Dodge pixelated magma-splosions as you navigate your ship through various reinvented environments.
Customize Your Arsenal - Retrofit your ship to match your style of play on the fly by switching between sophisticated weaponry to suit your strategic needs. Search for hidden Power Up items and upgrade your arsenal of weapons to unleash massive destruction!
Fully Adjustable Difficulty - Fear not! Play at your own pace by choosing your preferred difficulty setting. Checkpoints are plentiful, so PixelJunkTM SideScroller will keep pulling you back with its bubblingly addictive gameplay.

Last edited by a moderator:
PixelJunk Monsters sounds great. I love tower defense style maps in Warcraft III, so it will be interesting to see the japanese twist on it.

It looks like this is already available in the Japanese PS Store. I think it was 900 Yen.

To try the game, play any other Tower Defense game out there, it's exactly the same concept, except PJ Monsters is even more a casual game.

Tower Defense games basically have you setting up fixed defenses along a path to an objective. Your goal is to stop waves of enemies from reaching the objective and destroying it.

In this case, you're magically converting trees into defense towers, which kill monsters that are coming to kill the objective. The monsters drop some kind of currency when they die which you have to pick up before it disapears. Then you use this currency to convert more trees into towers, and you can probably upgrade towers too, but I'm not sure about that. The waves of monsters get more difficult as things progress.

As posted in the PS Store thread, PixelJunk Monsters will be out next week. No price mentioned, but I'd bet that it'll be the same as PixelJunk Racers, which is $7.

Check the link for a trailer and some info on different kinds of towers you can build in the game.

actually I went ahead and bought the game from the JP store, for some odd reason the game is in 100% English. Does it automatically check your region or something? anyway I'm addicted and the leader boards just add to it. As of right now for the first stage there was over 1000 scores posted up.

As for the game itself there are lots of towers and as you've seen in the trailers you control the character directly instead of using a cursor, this in itself I feel separates monsters from the other TOD games. Additionally they're 4 sets of stages easy, medium, hard (haven't made there yet) and special (stages with special prerequisites) not to say others do not. For example on easy stage 2 or 3 you can't receive gold from monsters so you have to place your towers wisely

Lastly each stage is set up in waves each containing the same type of monster (from what I've seen) with each stage doubling the number of waves (again a guess since I'm only on medium) Getting through the stages is mostly trail and error since the monsters tend to just miss your towers. Really this is a great game if your into watching monsters run through your custom made gauntlet, I say one of the top 5 games for the psn.

As for towers they are
Anti-air (air)
All (all)
Ground (ground+splash)
Fire (ground+splash)
Ice (Slows+Ground)
Swarm tower (all w/ infinite range/ however weak)
Laser tower (air/line damage)
mortar tower (ground+splash)
Electric tower (ground)

hope you guys like it

[quote name='munoi']actually I went ahead and bought the game from the JP store, for some odd reason the game is in 100% English. Does it automatically check your region or something? anyway I'm addicted and the leader boards just add to it. As of right now for the first stage there was over 1000 scores posted up.

As for the game itself there are lots of towers and as you've seen in the trailers you control the character directly instead of using a cursor, this in itself I feel separates monsters from the other TOD games. Additionally they're 4 sets of stages easy, medium, hard (haven't made there yet) and special (stages with special prerequisites) not to say others do not. For example on easy stage 2 or 3 you can't receive gold from monsters so you have to place your towers wisely

Lastly each stage is set up in waves each containing the same type of monster (from what I've seen) with each stage doubling the number of waves (again a guess since I'm only on medium) Getting through the stages is mostly trail and error since the monsters tend to just miss your towers. Really this is a great game if your into watching monsters run through your custom made gauntlet, I say one of the top 5 games for the psn.

As for towers they are
Anti-air (air)
All (all)
Ground (ground+splash)
Fire (ground+splash)
Ice (Slows+Ground)
Swarm tower (all w/ infinite range/ however weak)
Laser tower (air/line damage)
mortar tower (ground+splash)
Electric tower (ground)

hope you guys like it[/quote]

Hmm that is weird because I thought I read the delay was over translation.

How much is it on there, maybe it'll help us get an idea on price for the US.

yes, though it only increases the range. Also in order to recieve new towers you need a certain number of gems,in addition by exploring the map you may find extra gems and coins

oh yeah if you get hit by the monsters you only lose coins not gems

[quote name='munoi']yes, though it only increases the range. Also in order to recieve new towers you need a certain number of gems,in addition by exploring the map you may find extra gems and coins

oh yeah if you get hit by the monsters you only lose coins not gems[/quote]

Those kind of things seem to be added to help console gamers ease into the "PC" type of gameplay. I think it is a smart move having you control a character instead of a cursor and have him have tasks to complete. But do you think it dumbs it down to much or adds to the experiance?

PixelJunk Monsters demo is now up in the JPN store.
100% English.

Holy crap it's way more fun than I thought! Nice take on the 'tower' style gameplay! I want more!

[quote name='dallow']PixelJunk Monsters demo is now up in the JPN store.
100% English.

Holy crap it's way more fun than I thought! Nice take on the 'tower' style gameplay! I want more![/quote]
It's definitely going to be a fun game. Can't wait for Thursday.

It mentioned the remote play option in the demo for the full game, which I totally forgot about. Was a lot of fun though so I can't wait.

Okay, I see that it allows high scores and that dallow has 8k on the one level in the demo. My closest total is 7600, so how the hell did you get that?

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Okay, I see that it allows high scores and that dallow has 8k on the one level in the demo. My closest total is 7600, so how the hell did you get that?[/QUOTE]

I believe it has to do with the amount of coins/jewels left over... as in the less towers you build the better your score

It's cute. The 500 Yen for both games gives me hope that it'll be $4.99 or less, at which point I'll likely jump on it.

Then again, IMO they should pay you $10 to buy Pixel Junk Racers, so maybe Monsters will launch at $14.99. ;)

[quote name='flashburn']Any idea if the US version is any different than the JP version?[/quote]
I imagine that it's not that different if the JP version is in English, too.

Please don't gameshare this game.
We can afford this small title right?
They're an indie dev, you should support them.

Well, we're still waiting for that in Europe, so in the meantime why should people buy Monsters?

Because (of course) it is probably the most addicting and fun game you'll play this year!
PR speak aside though, I've made a lot of games over the past 20 years or so and this one has that certain "something", a little bit of magic to it. We are an independent development company and we've funded this entirely ourselves, so no game-sharing please! Every little penny counts and keeps us going!

[quote name='dallow']Please don't gameshare this game.
We can afford this small title right?
They're an indie dev, you should support them.[/quote]

But we haven't seen the price yet!:cool:

I am totally addicted to Desktop Tower Defense so this is in the "strong buy" side for me. I'd like to see a demo, though. And it depends on the cost-- if it's $4.99 I'll buy it the second I get home, if it's $7.99 I may want to see a demo, at $9.99 I'll wait for the next $4.99 sale. ;)

[quote name='Justin42']I am totally addicted to Desktop Tower Defense so this is in the "strong buy" side for me. I'd like to see a demo, though. And it depends on the cost-- if it's $4.99 I'll buy it the second I get home, if it's $7.99 I may want to see a demo, at $9.99 I'll wait for the next $4.99 sale. ;)[/quote]

There is a demo you can get with a JP account:

[quote name='dallow']PixelJunk Monsters demo is now up in the JPN store.
100% English.

Holy crap it's way more fun than I thought! Nice take on the 'tower' style gameplay! I want more!
[/quote]

I like PJM better then Desktop because the grapics are better and there is a lot more to do.

Their last game was 9.99. C'mon, it's two bucks! :)
Hopefully they'll lower it to 7.99.

I'd pay $10, seems like I'd play this longer than a lot of other PSN games. (or all of them)

[quote name='dallow']Their last game was 9.99. C'mon, it's two bucks! :)
Hopefully they'll lower it to 7.99.

I'd pay $10, seems like I'd play this longer than a lot of other PSN games. (or all of them)[/quote]
But you don't KNOW the price. That is all I am saying. I find it odd it hasn't been announced yet.

It is fine to compare to the last game's price and look at Japan to get some what of an idea... But this is Sony and you never know what is going through their minds sometimes.

This game is $7.99 for a limited time, so I'm guessing it is going to raise to soon. No dates on when this deal will end or what the amount will be, so grab it now!

[quote name='NamPaehc']This game is $7.99 for a limited time, so I'm guessing it is going to raise to soon. No dates on when this deal will end or what the amount will be, so grab it now![/QUOTE]

I'm a little let down that both PixelJunk games are 500 Yen on the JPN store, yet this is $7.99 for just one. I'm going to hold off on it. I'd buy it for $5, but not $8.

[quote name='mykevermin']I'm a little let down that both PixelJunk games are 500 Yen on the JPN store, yet this is $7.99 for just one. I'm going to hold off on it. I'd buy it for $5, but not $8.[/QUOTE]It says 900 yen when I checked, while PJR was 500. PJM is removed from the PS Store once you download the demo in Japan.

Anyway, played the demo and it rocks. I'm definitely buying. Very interesting game.

Yea as I mentioned earlier the game is awesome. For some reason some people (Not CAG) are trying to shove this off as a TOD ripoff thats trying to cash in one a free game/mod.

The thing is though; the fact that you're in direct control of the character opens tons of new ideas, like dancing in front of your tower to upgrade it or using jewels as a quick shortcut, a meaningful co-op mode, a reason to actually explore the entire map; since you can find hidden treasure, Unlockables for your character (You can actually run) the list goes on.

Anyway have fun with the game; look forward to seeing you guys high scores online.

[quote name='munoi']Yea as I mentioned earlier the game is awesome. For some reason some people (Not CAG) are trying to shove this off as a TOD ripoff thats trying to cash in one a free game/mod.

The thing is though; the fact that you're in direct control of the character opens tons of new ideas, like dancing in front of your tower to upgrade it or using jewels as a quick shortcut, a meaningful co-op mode, a reason to actually explore the entire map; since you can find hidden treasure, Unlockables for your character (You can actually run) the list goes on.

Anyway have fun with the game; look forward to seeing you guys high scores online.[/QUOTE]

thanks for the description, I didn't even know there was a co-op mode here.

[quote name='munoi']Yea as I mentioned earlier the game is awesome. For some reason some people (Not CAG) are trying to shove this off as a TOD ripoff thats trying to cash in one a free game/mod.

Anyway have fun with the game; look forward to seeing you guys high scores online.[/quote]

Nothing better than 800 on the boards yet for me. I think it will take me two more weeks to really learn what I can do and start getting good scores.

bread's done
Back