(UPDATE) Buy a Nintendo DS, get Super Mario 64 DS for free at all major retailers

Wombat

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
I know this had been posted as part of the EB June sale, but I just got word that this will be offered at all "participating retailers" across the country. Nintendo produced national TV spots for it yesterday. As far as a start date for the sale, I am going to guess June 12, for thats when the EB sale starts.

UPDATE: Stores confirmed so far

EB Games, thanks Scahom1 link: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54032

ebgames.com avail now!!!
http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/241868.asp

Best Buy, thanks TXboxGuY link:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54789

Sears, thanks TXboxGuY, see page five for pic

Kmart, thanks Dogpatch, see page 7

Gamestop confirmed (starts June15), thanks Chacrana, see page 8

Gamestop.com plat: http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=B020225L

gamestop.com blue:
http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=B020252A

Walmart and walmart.com confirmed, thanks JJNova link: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=3600672&sourceid=23972595173720093424

fry's, thanks hiccupleftovers see page 9

official full list of stores link:

http://www.nintendods.com/mario/

I will update as I get info :)

I have neither, so I'm in luck. I guess I can look at this as a $30 price drop on DS since Mario 64 is the first game I would get anyway. And I have a July birthday!

Ah, yes, and now the question of color. I think I still like Platinum. If Electric Blue came out first and Platinum was the new color, (sort of like with GBA) I'd definately pick it.

The system is looking a little better with a free pack-in game, but I'm still not ready to bite at this point. I've already got Mario 64 on N64, so I'm still looking for a better price or a better pack-in game before I purchase a DS.

[quote name='MaxBiaggi2']I've already got Mario 64 on N64, so I'm still looking for a better price or a better pack-in game before I purchase a DS.[/QUOTE]
You know Mario Kart DS isn't a port, right?

You know he said Mario 64.

I'll wait until Christmas when it's $130, witha free game. I would pick one up if it were $100 except I still think Nintendo will release a "newer" version, and frankly I hate the buttons on the thing.

[quote name='David85']You know he said Mario 64.

I'll wait until Christmas when it's $130, witha free game. I would pick one up if it were $100 except I still think Nintendo will release a "newer" version, and frankly I hate the buttons on the thing.[/QUOTE]
Who says it's going to be $130 with a free game at Christmas? That seems like it was pulled out of nowhere.

In any case, good luck finding one at Christmas. My sister got a PS2 last year, and it took much more time and effort than I'd expected it to. The DS is still relatively new, and I'm thinking that there's going to be a good amount of demand for it come the holidays.

I miss the era where all of the consoles came with pack-in games...

[quote name='David85']You know he said Mario 64.

I'll wait until Christmas when it's $130, witha free game. I would pick one up if it were $100 except I still think Nintendo will release a "newer" version, and frankly I hate the buttons on the thing.[/QUOTE]

i seriously doubt the ds will be 130 at christmas, let alone with a free game. why do people think the ds will drop in price, sales are doing fine and they have TONS of killer app games coming out in november

The only thing that really kept me from buying a DS was that it doesn't play GB and GB Color games. If it did I would have bought one the day it came out.

Woo! Won't have to be constrained to EB. Good to know that if they run out I can go elsewhere for one. Now which color electric blue (blue being my favorite color) or the classic original like I have gone with the past few GBs.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']The only thing that really kept me from buying a DS was that it doesn't play GB and GB Color games. If it did I would have bought one the day it came out.[/QUOTE]

Same here. That was another reason why I didn't pick it up since I liked the backwards generational compatibility of the GBA. Still, this one isn't too bad with compatibility with GBA games.

[quote name='paul6']This should work with the new Electric Blue colored DS, correct?[/QUOTE]

It should... I mean, Nintendo released the Blue DS just this week so I don't see why it'd be excluded from this deal. I hope it does work though because I don't really want the same silver DS that everyone has... and blue is just better.

Awesome deal. I already have a DS, but now I can try convincing some friends to be picking it up.

I just had a crazy thought, if this deal is indeed going to be at all major retailers than maybe Fry's will have something similiar but even better (knowing Fry's that is).:drool:

Flat out, DS rocks! I already own one along with Mario 64 DS. Having a DS along with Mario 64 was worth it to me. Playing GBA Advance games on DS rocks as well. PLENTY of killer aps coming out this year for DS. Metroid Prime Hunters, Nintendogs, Mario Kart DS, Electroplankton and more. Need I say more? I wouldn't be looking to see a price drop ANYTIME soon!

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Is Mario 64 DS still fun without an analog stick?[/QUOTE]

It wasn't for me at first because I didn't realize if you use the d-pad you need to hold down a button (similar to the old school super mario bros.) in order to run. Once I stopped being stupid it was great. It isn't as percise as the analog stick but I didn't have any problems playing.

[quote name='Wombat5277']I know this had been posted as part of the EB June sale, but I just got word that this will be offered at all "participating retailers" across the country. Nintendo produced national TV spots for it yesterday. As far as a start date for the sale, I am going to guess June 12, for thats when the EB sale starts.[/QUOTE]
I hope it does start June 12th for that is my Birthday and I will have money to buy one!

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Is Mario 64 DS still fun without an analog stick?[/QUOTE]
I thought it controlled pretty well with the thumb pad and the touch screen. The only thing is for narrow walkways and the such, I still have to go back to the D pad.

I had no problem with the digital (D pad) controls. What a great game! The addition of Luigi, Yoshi and Wario as playable characters just adds to the fun!

[quote name='Spaceboy176']Flat out, DS rocks! I already own one along with Mario 64 DS. Having a DS along with Mario 64 was worth it to me. Playing GBA Advance games on DS rocks as well. PLENTY of killer aps coming out this year for DS. Metroid Prime Hunters, Nintendogs, Mario Kart DS, Electroplankton and more. Need I say more? I wouldn't be looking to see a price drop ANYTIME soon![/QUOTE]

You wouldn't happen to be Reggie Fils-Aime, would you? Playing a port of a 10 year old game doesn't sound that exciting, nor does playing GBA games on a unit that's twice the size of my GBA SP. Nintendogs could be a killer ap, but I really don't see anything else on the horizon that would cause me to spend $100, much less $150 in upgrading from my GBA.

[quote name='anonymouswhoami']You wouldn't happen to be Reggie Fils-Aime, would you? Playing a port of a 10 year old game doesn't sound that exciting, nor does playing GBA games on a unit that's twice the size of my GBA SP. Nintendogs could be a killer ap, but I really don't see anything else on the horizon that would cause me to spend $100, much less $150 in upgrading from my GBA.[/QUOTE]

Didn't you follow E3? The DS had the best showing, with tons of great games from all genres coming out.

[quote name='anonymouswhoami']Are you employed by Nintendo of America? Playing a port of a 10 year old game doesn't sound that exciting, nor does playing GBA games on a unit that's twice the size of my GBA SP. Nintendogs could be a killer ap, but I really don't see anything else on the horizon that would cause me to spend $100, much less $150 in upgrading from my GBA.[/QUOTE]

Not trying to sway you but. Mario has been updated as there are more stars to collect, 3 more playable characters, and also includes some new stylus mini-games. The main game is the same but it is still a lot of fun even 10 years later. Playing GBA games on the DS is pretty great mainly because of the backlight screen. The games look great. I too didn't really care for it until I saw the difference. There are a slew of great titles coming Metroid, New Super Mario Bros., Sonic, Viewtiful Joe, Castlevania, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing and more.

[quote name='jkam']Not trying to sway you but. Mario has been updated as there are more stars to collect, 3 more playable characters, and also includes some new stylus mini-games. The main game is the same but it is still a lot of fun even 10 years later. Playing GBA games on the DS is pretty great mainly because of the backlight screen. The games look great. I too didn't really care for it until I saw the difference. There are a slew of great titles coming Metroid, New Super Mario Bros., Sonic, Viewtiful Joe, Castlevania, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing and more.[/QUOTE]

How could I forget about Castlevania and New Super Mario Bros.?

[quote name='anonymouswhoami']You wouldn't happen to be Reggie Fils-Aime, would you? Playing a port of a 10 year old game doesn't sound that exciting, nor does playing GBA games on a unit that's twice the size of my GBA SP. Nintendogs could be a killer ap, but I really don't see anything else on the horizon that would cause me to spend $100, much less $150 in upgrading from my GBA.[/QUOTE]

I am not even close to being Reggie. However, I do think the guy seems cool. Honestly, I wasn't sold at first either until I played a DS. Once I did, I had to have one. It is great and playing against other people wirelessly on a portable rocks! I cannot wait until Mario Kart DS gets released.

Honestly, I like newer games, but they don't have the replayability that a lot of classics like Mario 64 have.

Disclaimer:
I am not in any way saying this will change PSP sales or bashing the PSP.

I think with this being at every retailer Nintendo is really trying to hammer home the price difference of the DS and the PSP. $150 for a system with a game looks better than $250 for a system with a pouch, earphones, and a remote. I think it's a pretty smart move by Nintendo.

[quote name='jkam']Disclaimer: I am not in any way saying this will change PSP sales or bashing the PSP.

I think with this being at every retailer Nintendo is really trying to hammer home the price difference of the DS and the PSP. $150 for a system with a game looks better than $250 for a system with a pouch, earphones, and a remote. I think it's a pretty smart move by Nintendo.[/QUOTE]

AGREED!

[quote name='jkam']Disclaimer: I am not in any way saying this will change PSP sales or bashing the PSP.

I think with this being at every retailer Nintendo is really trying to hammer home the price difference of the DS and the PSP. $150 for a system with a game looks better than $250 for a system with a pouch, earphones, and a remote. I think it's a pretty smart move by Nintendo.[/QUOTE]

I agree. Anytime a pack-in game is included it tends to help sales.

Ok, now I am very tempted to buy a DS (worst part is I have the money so I don't think I'll be able to stop myself from buying it). After seeing the game lineup at e3 I will probably go ahead and pick this up. Also DS buyers should know that Kirby Canvas Curse comes out that day, and after playing the demo that is another must buy game for the system.

Mario Kart with free online service is good enough for me to upgrade my GBA to DS... not to mention Animal Crossing (or is it called Forest now?).

[quote name='jkam']Not trying to sway you but. Mario has been updated as there are more stars to collect, 3 more playable characters, and also includes some new stylus mini-games. The main game is the same but it is still a lot of fun even 10 years later. Playing GBA games on the DS is pretty great mainly because of the backlight screen. The games look great. I too didn't really care for it until I saw the difference. There are a slew of great titles coming Metroid, New Super Mario Bros., Sonic, Viewtiful Joe, Castlevania, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing and more.[/QUOTE]

Just as a side note, there are I believe 36 new mini games on the cart. That's a lot, and most of them are a lot of fun.

With the Mario 64 pack-in, will buyers of the DS still be getting the Metroid Prime Hunters demo or is Mario 64 replacing it? If I'm getting in essence two games with the DS, it's going to be hard for me to get something different, especially since I never owned a GBA.

This is tempting, but I cannot spend anymore money on gaming systems. My wife is really interested in that surgery game Atl;us is putting out this fall so I could get away with buying the system for her for that, but we all know how that will end. More games for me to buy....:roll:

[quote name='omegaweapon7']good deal, however, a pratically 30 dollar price drop ALREADY is not a good sign.[/QUOTE]

Are you crazy?!? Have you even seen the sales numbers? The DS has been hard to keep on shelves in most areas. And the PSP has been easy to find in most places, even during the launch in some areas. I am not trying to PSP bash, but this is not an indication of sales. Nor is it an indication of a lack of software in the pipes (as has been partially stated previously in the thread - although there are a ton more games than what has been mentioned). Super Mario 64 DS is smiply a game that most people would buy. It has been over six months since the game (and system) came out. Most people who would ever buy the game have likely already done so. This is just a mechanism to add extra incentive and boost sales. And remember, to boost sales you don't have to be doing badly. Example: If something sells 1 million units in one month, but an incentive is added that makes it sell through 1.5 million units the next month, does that 50% increase mean that the product was doing poorly the month prior?

And remember, it is not a $30 price drop (not even practically). This is a game that had a bit of retooling, but was basically developed ten years ago. And it has already more than paid for itself before this revision was released over six months ago. Everything else has been icing on the cake. Now that sales of this particular title has probably tapered off (likely due to near saturation), why is it bad that Nintendo would decide to make this an incentive to entice anyone over the edge that they may have teetered on for over six months? Sometimes doing bonuses that help fans also helps the bottom line, which is already doing very well...

bread's done
Back