Thrustmaster a Good wavebird Alternative?

blackbird3216

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
As a wii gamer, i don't like having cords over the system, as the risk of tipping over is high. The wavebird is hard to find, and prices for a used one exceed prices for new 3rd party controllers. The Thrustmaster controller has the same layout as the classic controller, but also functions as a gamecube controller, as it connects throught the GC Port(no more dangling from wiimote). It looks really ugly though, and the connector dangles off the system.

Pros:
1. Classic controller and GC controller in one
2.Nice shape

Cons:
1. Ugly?
2. Connector dangles off the system
3. Oh right, and the battery problem
Is it any good? Would it be a great alternative to the wavebird/Classic controller.

For the cheapest price:
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?sku=A1302857&s=bsd

If you are willing to pay 40cents extra for 2 day shipping:
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Gaming_Accessories/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&cs=19&sku=A1302857

http://gear.ign.com/articles/838/838868p1.html

Oh, right and one more question, does the 2.4ghz signal affect my wireless internet signal?

Sadly, the deal is dead.

$20 including shipping for a wireless Game Cube/VC controller with rumble is tempting. That 9/10 score is making it even more tempting, wish I didn't that VC controller for almost the same price.

That D pad doesn't look all the great though (but whose does now a days). I might pick one up.

[quote name='Mad D']$20 including shipping for a wireless Game Cube/VC controller with rumble is tempting. That 9/10 score is making it even more tempting, wish I didn't that VC controller for almost the same price.

That D pad doesn't look all the great though (but whose does now a days). I might pick one up.[/quote] the main problem with the controller is this:
thrustmaster-announces-wii-wireless-classic-controller-20070913113828773.jpg

The dongle looks kinda ugly, and the blue doesn't match the wii's colors.

Maybe someone could re-enginneer that and give it a paint job?

That is awesome. I need one of these badly. My only surviving Wavebird that I bought before I sold my GCN maybe 2 or 2.5 years ago veers to the right or left occasionally, and I really don't want the use a wired controller.

Edit: This item currently has free 2-day shipping, it seems, so it's $15.31 shipped! This price is only good until the 13th, though. Then you lose the 15% off and free shipping offers.

[quote name='Rocko']Just ordered one from Dell.[/QUOTE]
im still thinking about getting one, though i don't know about the dongle and the blue.. Seems everyone changed to the strange dongle design ever since the wii launched.

[quote name='blackbird3216']im still thinking about getting one, though i don't know about the dongle and the blue.. Seems everyone changed to the strange dongle design ever since the wii launched.[/quote]

I don't really mind the look, and it's not a concern to me anyway. I need something to play my GCN games on, and this seems like a good product.

[quote name='blackbird3216']the main problem with the controller is this:

The dongle looks kinda ugly, and the blue doesn't match the wii's colors.

Maybe someone could re-enginneer that and give it a paint job?[/QUOTE]

If the main problem is just that it's not aesthetically pleasing, then I think it's a good deal. I'd definitely get one if I had a Wii or played my Gamecube more. The review also said it has customizable controls so it's excellent for any game with a bad control layout (which is most SNES games when played with a Wavebird).

[quote name='PenguinMaster']If the main problem is just that it's not aesthetically pleasing, then I think it's a good deal. I'd definitely get one if I had a Wii or played my Gamecube more. The review also said it has customizable controls so it's excellent for any game with a bad control layout (which is most SNES games when played with a Wavebird).[/QUOTE]
oh, and i forgot battery life. 3aaa batteries and rumble.. I don't know how that's going to work out.

I don't have it, but according to the Dell site the controller also is reprogrammable so that you can map the buttons. That could be a huge bonus, as sometimes I find myself pissed that the same can't be done with the CC.

I'm not quite sure how GCN games will feel on this only because of the button difference, but with customizeable controls I should be able to get it a way that I like it. For $15 it's worth a shot, since I'm afraid of yanking my Wii off the dresser it's sitting on with the wired GCN controller, especially since I'm used to having no wires with the Wiimote.

Hmm, this is tempting. I'm considering getting a Classic Controller, but this looks to be a better controller. Assignable buttons, turbo, and wireless? Sounds good.

Anyone try one out yet? I want to know about the D-pad.

[quote name='Rusty Ghia']Hmm, this is tempting. I'm considering getting a Classic Controller, but this looks to be a better controller. Assignable buttons, turbo, and wireless? Sounds good.

Anyone try one out yet? I want to know about the D-pad.[/QUOTE]
i would be interested in that too, Worst case? Just switch the dual analogs to standard.(like on the GC controller)

Ordered 1 from Dell. Wanted a Wavebird, but those are still going for $20 used. Just want quality gaming without wires, not wedded to the Nintendo brand.

Just checked and it looks like my controller shipped today and will be here on Wednesday. Awesome. I'll be able to post some impressions by the end of the week.

acording to this guy from IGN:

Bought one after reading the review, have to say its an awesome controller, the battery (1*aaa) last +/- 20 game hours, and the mapping option on it is awesome.

3)Wireless and responding real time no doubt, good stuff.

the bad things,...

1)its really small for my big hands, easy to press 3 buttons at once by mistake (yes i got a flat nintende thumb lol)

2)the rubber/plastick on the stick is allready fading away (after 20 hours of gaming) And the A B X Y are fading away completely :eek:, bad inkt ?? doh..

3)left stick wont hold it for a year in my hands -.-
theres allready less force on the left stick after 20 hours of gaming.

But! for 20 euros, its a very nice controller, but it really does not deserve the 9, rather an 7.5 - 8

MY(blackbird's) reaction: Seems nice, but 1aaa battery? did i hear right? And already breaking after 1 day?

2 trick-ass wavebirds for the price of one real one is tempting.

it looks a lot like an xbox controller - which is the controller I most frequently use. so it's tempting.

I ordered one. You can't beat it for $15. And, since I was hoping to get a classic controller soon this seemed perfect. Although, the estimated shipping date isn't until after Christmas.

Got the controller in today and played with it in Pokemon Snap for about an hour. There's not much to say other than IGN's review was pretty correct. It worked fine. The only probably I had was getting the R button to work, but I realized that you have to press it in the back rather than the front.

Nice, though i don't know if it'll last. NOOOOO!!! Dell doesn't sell it anymore, so who does? Now i can't get this "perfect" controller anymore.

[quote name='Rocko']Got the controller in today and played with it in Pokemon Snap for about an hour. There's not much to say other than IGN's review was pretty correct. It worked fine. The only probably I had was getting the R button to work, but I realized that you have to press it in the back rather than the front.[/QUOTE]

Did you order from Dell? if so when did you order it?

[quote name='Rocko']Got the controller in today and played with it in Pokemon Snap for about an hour. There's not much to say other than IGN's review was pretty correct. It worked fine. The only probably I had was getting the R button to work, but I realized that you have to press it in the back rather than the front.[/quote]
I have a question about the controller. This is something that I've always wanted to know about it, since it's really a Gamecube controller and is obviously compatible with Gamecube games. Are the shoulder buttons pressure sensitive like a regular Gamecube controller, or are they just digital? It's a shame if they are not analog/pressure sensitive, because then you would still need to plug in a regular GCN controller for certain games (Mario Sunshine for example).

[quote name='B-Man']I have a question about the controller. This is something that I've always wanted to know about it, since it's really a Gamecube controller and is obviously compatible with Gamecube games. Are the shoulder buttons pressure sensitive like a regular Gamecube controller, or are they just digital? It's a shame if they are not analog/pressure sensitive, because then you would still need to plug in a regular GCN controller for certain games (Mario Sunshine for example).[/quote]

I just tested this out with Mario Sunshine, and they are pressure sensitive. However, they seem to lose contact after a while. It's strange. I have a full tank, and I'll hold the button all the way down, so Mario sprays without being able to walk, but after a little bit or goes down to a dribble even though I have water. Is this normal? I forget. It can't be the controller, though, because I have to hold a shoulder button in Pokemon Snap and it holds just fine.

[quote name='Rocko']I just tested this out with Mario Sunshine, and they are pressure sensitive. However, they seem to lose contact after a while. It's strange. I have a full tank, and I'll hold the button all the way down, so Mario sprays without being able to walk, but after a little bit or goes down to a dribble even though I have water. Is this normal? I forget. It can't be the controller, though, because I have to hold a shoulder button in Pokemon Snap and it holds just fine.[/quote]
Yeah, that's a normal part of the game. It's not the controller's fault.

Anyway, thanks for replying. Now I'm more sure that I want to get one of these. It's great that it has a button remapping feature, so it can be used comfortably for pretty much any game that is compatible with a GCN controller (including any VC game). Hopefully I will be able to find one somewhere, now that it's no longer on the Dell site.

Hm...my order with Dell was acknowledged when I ordered, but never confirmed, and this was a week ago. Should I be concerned?

[quote name='Rocko']That is awesome. I need one of these badly. My only surviving Wavebird that I bought before I sold my GCN maybe 2 or 2.5 years ago veers to the right or left occasionally[/quote]

I've had this happen before.

Don't hold down anything on the controller when you turn on the system or power-on a game.

Got mine today - haven't had a chance to mess with it yet. I was at work most of the day, then went to family's for Christmas dinner, then had to play with my Game Boy Light that I also got in the mail today. :)

Does anyone know a site that sells this with a reasonable price and has it in stock? Alot of sites also overcharge for shipping.

[quote name='blackbird3216']acording to this guy from IGN:

Bought one after reading the review, have to say its an awesome controller, the battery (1*aaa) last +/- 20 game hours, and the mapping option on it is awesome.

3)Wireless and responding real time no doubt, good stuff.

the bad things,...

1)its really small for my big hands, easy to press 3 buttons at once by mistake (yes i got a flat nintende thumb lol)

2)the rubber/plastick on the stick is allready fading away (after 20 hours of gaming) And the A B X Y are fading away completely :eek:, bad inkt ?? doh..

3)left stick wont hold it for a year in my hands -.-
theres allready less force on the left stick after 20 hours of gaming.

But! for 20 euros, its a very nice controller, but it really does not deserve the 9, rather an 7.5 - 8

MY(blackbird's) reaction: Seems nice, but 1aaa battery? did i hear right? And already breaking after 1 day?[/QUOTE]

I'm concerned about this business of ink fading away after just 20 hours. The wear and tear of the left stick is no small issue, either.

I'm also surprised that this thing is nowhere to be found. At the time of this post, the Dell links were dead and only a couple of obscure specialty stores were carrying it.

A friend of mine reminded me the other day that 3rd party controllers never seem to live up to the wear and tear of the 1st party stuff. As much as I wanted to believe otherwise in this case...

[quote name='joshofstl']I'm concerned about this business of ink fading away after just 20 hours. The wear and tear of the left stick is no small issue, either.

I'm also surprised that this thing is nowhere to be found. At the time of this post, the Dell links were dead and only a couple of obscure specialty stores were carrying it.

A friend of mine reminded me the other day that 3rd party controllers never seem to live up to the wear and tear of the 1st party stuff. As much as I wanted to believe otherwise in this case...[/QUOTE]
yeah, the links were working before ,but they're dead now. It seems like they underproduced, because every stores seems to have them out of stock. Maybe they just had it as a concept model? There is no reason why it's not in stock anywhere at all.

Damn it, still oos. So is the overall opinion that this controller is better than the actual Nintendo classic controller? Wondering if I should wait this out or just go for the regular classic.

Still OOS as far as I can tell. Dammit. I'd really like to give this a shot.

Update: It's in stock on Amazon.co.uk. However, they won't ship it to the US, and it's 13 pounds (around 25 bucks). If you have a friend in the UK though, and are desperate, it seems to be the only option at the moment.

Finally got mine in the mail today, and it won't connect! The light on both sides just blinks and won't respond to my attempts to link them. And the "technical service" site doesn't even list this as a product they sell! Anybody run into this issue and/or have ideas?

MisterHand: they said in another thread that this only works with the Wii, are you using it on a GC?

I just got an email from buy.com saying that they have it in stock. 14.99 using the Google Checkout deal.

Doesn't work on my Wii OR my Gamecube. Their customer service hours are really batty so I haven't had time to call. Was hoping somebody else on the forum had a fix.

[quote name='MisterHand']Doesn't work on my Wii OR my Gamecube. Their customer service hours are really batty so I haven't had time to call. Was hoping somebody else on the forum had a fix.[/QUOTE]

Supposedly, it doesn't work on the GC... which is really odd.

I was going to buy this after all the positive reviews but it seems like all I'm seeing how are negative reviews about the build quality.:whistle2:(

bread's done
Back