where in los angeles can i buy cheap fresh produce?

dracula

CAGiversary!
Feedback
38 (100%)
anywhere in santa monica, hollywood or downtown. All of the supermarkets like ralphs and Vons and even costco want an arm and a leg for their fresh produce. And the farmers markets are even worse.

anyone?!?!? ive lived here a couple of years and no one i know has any clue. of course i mostly spend time with other transplants.

Okay let me see if I can help you out. First off, what type of produce are you looking for? Yeah the supermarkets are overpriced, but hell you didn't even mention Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, Bristol Farms, Gelsons or the other insanely overpriced trendy markets.

The cost of groceries is crazy high out here just like any other major city, just part of the price you pay to live here, New York, London, etc.

I don't know which farmer's markets you go to, but the ones in the upscale areas are going to be pricy, but you can still get good deals. The Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, Westwood etc. farmer's markets are pricy indeed, but still you can find some vendors at these that are reasonable (at least for LA), and better priced than most supermarkets.

If you want really cheap groceries, you have to go to the ethnic stores. Go to the Hispanic supermarkets, or the middle eastern ones.

Try Jon's Supermarkets for one. There are a couple in Hollywood, Glendale, etc. Also, if you're willing to drive to Echo Park/southeast Glendale, try King Market. It's on San Fernando Road a little bit east of the 2 FWY.

Or Food For Less Supermarkets or other discount supermarkets. But most of these are in the more ghetto areas. And most have lower quality produce, meats, etc. You're getting what you pay for.

OK now you are talking. Downtown is fine, i am there often enough. I am moving to hollywood, i am in santa monica now. Where are the good mexican stores that would have cheapass produce? i cant exactly find that on google, and i am looking right now.

the food for less on sunset in hollywood will be where i get my produce now. And i mean ALL produce, not just fruits, not just veges, i need everything from string beans to bananas to oranges to cucumbers, lettuce, tomatoes, pears, carrots, beets, apples et all

I could get all of those for cheap in the bay area(oakland/berkeley/san jose/san francisco) and the cost of living there is at least as high there as it is in santa monica/culver city. but hey, i live in west LA and didnt know about food for less. I have classes at groundlings twice a week and will just swing by food for less afterwards. shit that is perfect.

thanks guys

For the Downtown LA area, the chepest and good quality produce check The Grand Central Market. It's been there since like early 1900s. IIRC it's around 5th street and Broadway. They have a huge selection of produce, and have different types of foods.

I guess it's ok, even chef Ramsey from "Hell's Kutchen" bought produce from there lol. Good luck!

[quote name='bubblez']For the Downtown LA area, the chepest and good quality produce check The Grand Central Market. It's been there since like early 1900s. IIRC it's around 5th street and Broadway. They have a huge selection of produce, and have different types of foods.

I guess it's ok, even chef Ramsey from "Hell's Kutchen" bought produce from there lol. Good luck![/QUOTE]

Ditto, they have some good food there. Try the tacos!

I buy my fruit from Marina Farms on Centinela Ave. near Jefferson -- kind of Marina Del Rey by LMU. Ben Vereen shops there, too!

The produce at Whole Foods is more expensive, but it is some damn fine produce. They take care of it reeeally well.

Growers Direct in Newport Beach is cheaper than the big chain grocery stores and even Costco. On the plus side, they also sell AltaDena Dairy products cheaper than anyone else.

[quote name='jazzman']Growers Direct in Newport Beach is cheaper than the big chain grocery stores and even Costco. On the plus side, they also sell AltaDena Dairy products cheaper than anyone else.[/quote]

Dude, freaking Newport Beach is just a tad out of the way for someone in LA. But if I was in south OC I would hit it...TWO TIMES!

[quote name='bubblez']For the Downtown LA area, the chepest and good quality produce check The Grand Central Market. It's been there since like early 1900s. IIRC it's around 5th street and Broadway. They have a huge selection of produce, and have different types of foods.

I guess it's ok, even chef Ramsey from "Hell's Kutchen" bought produce from there lol. Good luck![/quote]
I was just there before the Linkin Park concert on tuesday, man I love the food there, and I also noticed a few cheap prices on some produce.

bread's done
Back