PSN Store Cards Confirmed w/pic

Too bad it's 20$ and everything ends with .99. :(
Either way, glad to see these finally coming out. I know they are huge in Japan, but I wonder how big of difference they will be in the US.

Good, now I can actually buy things in the Store. The cards seem so much easier to use than the credit card way.

And it opens the door to hopefully getting deals, such as the TRU B1G1-1/2 off sale over the summer that included Wii Points... (or the infamous B1G1 on Xbox Live points at CC ;) )

Hmm. Because everything is in real USD (and not "points"), it may be harder to find deals on these. They should be available though, so that's a plus.

[quote name='mykevermin']Hmm. Because everything is in real USD (and not "points"), it may be harder to find deals on these. They should be available though, so that's a plus.[/quote]
Yeah, it may be a little weird to see a $20 PSN card on sale for $10 or even $15. I have no problem using my CC for the PSN. I'm just a CAG and the titles are a little overpriced for me. So these cards only interest me insofar as I can get them at a discount, like people have been doing with XBL and Wii points.

On the upside, I suppose:
1) I respect Sony for going the $ route instead of "fooling" consumers (psychologically, anyway) into feeling like they're spending play money (or, in MS case, creating a denomination that is smaller than the dollar, so "800 points" seems more reasonable than "$10").
2) Despite Sony's less-than-average updates and additions to the PSN, they do offer "sales" on titles, which MS has hardly done save for once or twice, and the Wii has not done at all.

[quote name='mykevermin']On the upside, I suppose:
1) I respect Sony for going the $ route instead of "fooling" consumers (psychologically, anyway) into feeling like they're spending play money (or, in MS case, creating a denomination that is smaller than the dollar, so "800 points" seems more reasonable than "$10").
2) Despite Sony's less-than-average updates and additions to the PSN, they do offer "sales" on titles, which MS has hardly done save for once or twice, and the Wii has not done at all.[/quote]

I wish PS3 would get some love and have UMK3, I haven't played that game in ages. How big is 360's arcade? Do they have an assload of games? When looking at the PS3 selection it is pretty slim.

I doubt you'd see a flat out $15 for a $20 card (For example) but there might be a buy-one-get-one sort of deal. I hope. :) At least now there's a chance.

But yeah, the cards don't mean much to me otherwise, either. I use a "one-time" use number (which can be used however many times until I hit my pre-specified limit) with my PSN account. So even if it gets stolen/abused/hacked, there's about $20 left on it for them to go wild with. :p

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2007/12/14/playstation-network-cards-update/
If you stopped by one of of the major gaming sites in the last day or so, there’s a good chance you’ve seen one of these stories confirming the existence of PLAYSTATION Network cards, or the debut of such cards in Japan.

We’ve heard the call - usually around the time we update the PLAYSTATION Store - from loyal PS3/PSP owners who’d like to give (or receive) these cards as a gift, and from those who’d like an alternative to using a credit card to purchase things on the PLAYSTATION Store. So here’s an update: Yes, the option many of you have been asking for - PLAYSTATION Network Cards - are coming, and should start appearing at retailers in early ‘08. The cards will be redeemable via the PLAYSTATION Store for PC, and on the PLAYSTATION 3 to supply the wallet with funds to spend on games, add-ons, and other paid content.

We’ll continue to keep you updated here on the PlayStation Blog as their arrival grows nearer.

It's cool being able to use them on the PC and PS3. They should have come in early November at least, but at least they are coming (early 08 is better than never).

[quote name='Blackout542']I wish PS3 would get some love and have UMK3, I haven't played that game in ages. How big is 360's arcade? Do they have an assload of games? When looking at the PS3 selection it is pretty slim.[/QUOTE]

XBLA has over 100 games for download right now, plus Xbox originals and over 100 demos.

Given that the PSN store doesn't want to accept the details of the my credit card, I am excited about this. I wish we could get a firmer date for when they will be arriving. I'd like to purchase flow, but still cannot :(

On the credit card note, are there common reasons why some credit/debit cards don't work? I've got a standard WaMu debit card that works as a mastercard in every other fucking place I've ever used it, so I'm not sure why the PSN says my details are invalid!

[quote name='The Ligand']Given that the PSN store doesn't want to accept the details of the my credit card, I am excited about this. I wish we could get a firmer date for when they will be arriving. I'd like to purchase flow, but still cannot :(

On the credit card note, are there common reasons why some credit/debit cards don't work? I've got a standard WaMu debit card that works as a mastercard in every other fucking place I've ever used it, so I'm not sure why the PSN says my details are invalid![/QUOTE]
Believe it or not, it might have something to do with the spacing and/or which columns you put your information in. For example, I live in an apartment building and I had my apartment number listed in the same column as the rest of my address (address line1). Then, I moved my apartment number to the second line (address line 2) and then it worked! It seems really stupid but you should check for any similar kinds of "errors". Check all the spacing, check the capitalizations. Check every freaking last detail. You may be surprised.

With respect to the capitalization and all that, how did you list your name as it appeared on the credit card? I mean, if the card shows something like "JOHN Q SMITH," should I put that or "John Q Smith?" Also, I probably need to find out how the bank has my address since the last bit of it might be Place, Pl, Pl., PL, or PL.

fucking finally. I will never use the PSN store in its current state. Let's just say I got burned.....long story. I could never understand how Sony was so stupid to not have this right off the bat. Both MS and Nintendo understood that. If Sony has a younger demographic (I don't know, maybe ultra rich parents or something), then they were forced out of the PS store even if they played online.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']I could never understand how Sony was so stupid to not have this right off the bat.[/QUOTE]

There's always a simple answer to questions like this one. In fact, in this case there are two answers.

1 - Sony did not have the infrastructure to pull something this complicated off in time.

2 - Sony did not have a workforce who understood this aspect of the market, therefore they are late to the game.

I'm just glad they finally are getting their act together. Let's hope this upward trend continues.

[quote name='mykevermin']On the upside, I suppose:
2) Despite Sony's less-than-average updates and additions to the PSN, they do offer "sales" on titles, which MS has hardly done save for once or twice, and the Wii has not done at all.[/QUOTE]
MS added a "Greatest Hits" Live Arcade line.

[quote name='The Ligand']Given that the PSN store doesn't want to accept the details of the my credit card, I am excited about this. I wish we could get a firmer date for when they will be arriving. I'd like to purchase flow, but still cannot :(

On the credit card note, are there common reasons why some credit/debit cards don't work? I've got a standard WaMu debit card that works as a mastercard in every other fucking place I've ever used it, so I'm not sure why the PSN says my details are invalid![/QUOTE]Sometimes it doesn't work because the apartment number is suppose to be in address line 1 instead of address line 2 (unless it changed). Also, your address must match how your bank or something has it on file and it is case sensitive (If your bank puts down "St", saying "st" or "street" may not work). There are a few other possible issues, but I'd have to search my older posts for it.

Anyway, although I'm glad more people will be able to buy content off of PSN because of the cards; however, I'm a tad worried that the reason more games these days are going to $4.99, $9.99, instead of pricing in-between is to make pricing more even (I remember before we'd see various PSN pricing, but that doesn't seem to be the case as much outside of download content IMO).

[quote name='doubledown']So, anyone see these cards yet? When are they coming?[/QUOTE]I heard somewhere that some PSN cards are floating around a few particular places in the U.S., but not fully out yet (It was around some military base or something, cannot find the article).

[quote name='The Ligand']With respect to the capitalization and all that, how did you list your name as it appeared on the credit card? I mean, if the card shows something like "JOHN Q SMITH," should I put that or "John Q Smith?" Also, I probably need to find out how the bank has my address since the last bit of it might be Place, Pl, Pl., PL, or PL.[/QUOTE]
I think just the first letter has to be capitalized. There doesn't really seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. You have to try different variations until one of them works. If it's any consolation, there aren't too many variables so you should, in theory, get it to work quickly. Maybe you should take a look at your bank statement to see how your name and address are listed.

Maybe I'm just lucky to have a debit card, but I had no idea this was so problematic for people. With the national debt we have I assumed more people would have credit/debit cards than this.

[quote name='daphatty']There's always a simple answer to questions like this one. In fact, in this case there are two answers.

1 - Sony did not have the infrastructure to pull something this complicated off in time.

2 - Sony did not have a workforce who understood this aspect of the market, therefore they are late to the game.

I'm just glad they finally are getting their act together. Let's hope this upward trend continues.[/quote]

I would put in the boat of Sony just not having common sense anymore. That and the fact that perhaps they are just too big. Little ideas like that can't make it to the top of the company. It's sort of like MS, they're huge, but innovation and ideas can still come out of the company. MS might be a glacier, but once they move, there's just no stopping them. Google hasn't gotten too bloated or the MS point yet so of course they're still nimble.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Need a Japanese PSN card for them, which can be purchased at Play-Asia, NCSX, etc.[/QUOTE]
thankz but are they in japanese

Any updates on when these are coming out in the US? I thought they were supposed to be out already. ..

[quote name='starmask2k3']thankz but are they in japanese[/quote]

....?

Yes, Japanese games are in Japanese. Even if you buy them and play them on a US model PS3 they'll still be in Japanese. There are a few exceptions to this rule (Pixeljunk Monsters and Dark Mist off the top of my head) but content on the JPN PSN store is in Japanese.

What exactly is the problem here?

[quote name='Lorddraco07']I think he might of meant the psn cards off of playasia which I would guess be a yes also.[/quote]

Yeah, sorry I was referring to the US PSN cards you are supposed to be able to buy in retail stores.. They were supposed to come out in January or something. If you buy cards off play asia will it let you buy content from the US PSN store?

To let everyone know, I went to Meijer today and noticed there was a slot saying PS3 Network Cards, $20 and $50. It said to ask associate for them, so I did, and they said they didn't get them in yet. The pricetag was printed as of 5/18/08.

Basically, it appears they are coming soon, because Meijer had an SKU for them.

If Meijer gets them in before other places (I doubt it, but you never know), I'd be willing to purchase them and PM the code to people.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']To let everyone know, I went to Meijer today and noticed there was a slot saying PS3 Network Cards, $20 and $50. It said to ask associate for them, so I did, and they said they didn't get them in yet. The pricetag was printed as of 5/18/08.

Basically, it appears they are coming soon, because Meijer had an SKU for them.

If Meijer gets them in before other places (I doubt it, but you never know), I'd be willing to purchase them and PM the code to people.[/quote]

What is a Meijer?
I'm hoping Best Buy gets these in soon so I can use my Gift Cards on them :)

[quote name='Sinistar']What is a Meijer?
I'm hoping Best Buy gets these in soon so I can use my Gift Cards on them :)[/QUOTE]Similar to Wal-Mart, but only in the midwest. I'll be watching for them and update everyone if I see anything.

Ahh cool I'm not in the mid-west, that's probably why. :) I wonder if amazon.com will start selling them too?

I checked in the computer system on these today. They don't show a shipping date, it says hold for vendor. So we still don't know when these are going to be out.

Hopefully they arrive soon cause I really want to get the Warhawk boosters and a couple of PSN games.

bread's done
Back