You think this is a counterfeit game?

scdoanintendo

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
I just recently won THUG and LOTRTT from ebay a decent prices, you think this is legit. No box pics, western union payment only, from peru! I just recently read a topic about counterfeit games and I noticed some of the examples mentioned here are the links to the games I won:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...&category=62053&sspagename=STRK:MEBWA:IT&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...&category=62053&sspagename=STRK:MEBWA:IT&rd=1

I just sent him an email saying I sent concealed cash, I didn't send anything. I'm waiting to see if any negative feedback pops up or he suddenly drops his account. What do you think?

I doubt they're bootleg, he'd be opening himself up to fraud charges sine he actualy says:
I'm selling some overstock from my shop. Please check all the games, all are new, factory sealed, unopened. ANY UNIT IS UNUSED . This auction is for TONY HAWK'S UNDERGROUND FOR NINTENDO GAMECUBE. This is the ORIGINAL USA release.

why did you send him an e-mail? to trick him? if you're worried, western union/credit card transaction might be the safest way to go. i dunno much information about it b/c i always use paypal. best of luck to you :)

maybe you should have thought about that before you bid on the item. plus, you bid on TWO items from the same seller. it's really lame that you actually won the auctions and now you won't pay.

[quote name='scdoanintendo']I just recently won THUG and LOTRTT from ebay a decent prices, you think this is legit. No box pics, western union payment only, from peru! What do you think?[/quote]

You have made a poor judgement. Western uniom payment takes you outside of the ebay/paypal system. Also you will have no credit card protection.
Get his phone number : Check it
Get his Address : you might want it
Get your money back while you can

It is almost certainly a scam. This person has never sold anything on ebay, and all of a sudden, on March 9th he lists 478 3-day auctions for games? Plus, what little feedback he has is all from people who are no longer registered. That said, you shouldn't have lied about sending the money.

I think the guy's feedback says a lot. 4 of the 5 users who left feedback are unregistered and the one who still is, gave negative feedback. It's too late, but perhaps a wait and see attitude would have been possible. If it was a scam there would have been someone who would voice their complaint and you would know for sure. Perhaps it's still possible if you "just sent" the money.

Ebay Rule of Thumb:

Always investigate as much as possible the person you are intending to buy from. If anything about the auction worries you or makes you question the validity, don't bid/purchase the item! It's as simple as that. Once you've won, it's like a contract with that person that you will pay. Whether they are legit or not, think about and investigate your auctions, then proceed if no there are no red flags.

Personally, another rule that I follow is I don't bid on items without pictures. I want to see what I'm bidding on. (I know that doesn't apply to your auction, I was just making a personal note :) )

This may be legit. How ever it may not play in us/canada players. Don't buy if it says PAL version. It won't work because this is made to play on europe? palyers.

If not sure best to NOT bid. Once you bid its a legal contract that you will buy. You could get screwed and not really much you could do except leave negitive feedback. However if it's because you didn't read/follow up with seller then its really not fair to leave negitive feedback.

I'm not sure if I would trust that seller. While the seller may be legit, with not accepting Paypal and no feedback from selling there is no way I would buy a game from them. It's just too risky especially since they are not in the US

THIS AD IS SHADEY!!! Like everyone said all the feedback he recieved was from not registered users, humm pretty suspicious....im not sure if i would pay but if its legit he will leave neg feedback and if he doesnt he just wanted to hurry and collect money as fast as possible, also with no pics for none of his auctions is werid too..

I'd say you are on the path to getting ripped off. The people who left him feedbacks all have something in common - they've left each other feedback too. I think he/she set up several accounts to build each other's feedback up to pull off a big scam when the accounts have enough positives.

Especially userID yurikawin, his feedback rating it 56.7%.

I don't know what you should do, just bringing this to your attention.

If it were me I'd probably not proceed with the transaction.

From Ebay's website:

7. Instant Cash Wire Transfers
(such as Western Union & MoneyGram)
eBay does not recommend the use of instant cash wire transfer services. These services are designed to allow you to send money to family and friends—people you know and trust. While sellers may offer this option, they cannot require you to pay this way. If you suspect a seller is trying to commit fraud by insisting on payment through an instant cash wire transfer, please decline to use it and report the seller to eBay.
Risks:

Vulnerable to criminal misuse
Difficult to identify and designate recipient
Not traceable
Does not offer verification and cancellation privileges
Generally, no recourse is available if the item is not delivered as promised, even if you used your credit card to send the payment
Not covered by the eBay Purchase Protection Program

So basically, don't even think about Western Union.

It does seem rather scammy, you'd probably end up getting nothing or an empty box as it's really rather difficult to bootleg the GCN games. I too like having pictures to see what I'm getting. But then again, I check the seller's feedback and all that what not. So far I've bought a pretty good amount of stuff and I haven't been ripped off and I sell legit too, so as long as your wary you should be ok, but winning the auctions and agreeing to pay. The negative feedback though was kind of funky anyway, most of my transactions go with little to know communication either.

i would like to point out that since the intial post in this topic, the seller has recieved 6 positive feedbacks from four different people. the only negative is from someone whose rating is -1, and even then it is about communication, not about receiving items.

i say you pay this guy since you agreed to, and since there has been other buyers that recently received their items.

of course, i wouldn't have bid on them in the first place, but since you did, at lesat things look more optimistic.

[quote name='salavari']From Ebay's website:

7. Instant Cash Wire Transfers
(such as Western Union & MoneyGram)
eBay does not recommend the use of instant cash wire transfer services. These services are designed to allow you to send money to family and friends—people you know and trust. While sellers may offer this option, they cannot require you to pay this way. If you suspect a seller is trying to commit fraud by insisting on payment through an instant cash wire transfer, please decline to use it and report the seller to eBay.
Risks:

Vulnerable to criminal misuse
Difficult to identify and designate recipient
Not traceable
Does not offer verification and cancellation privileges
Generally, no recourse is available if the item is not delivered as promised, even if you used your credit card to send the payment
Not covered by the eBay Purchase Protection Program

So basically, don't even think about Western Union.[/quote]

They're talking about wire transfers, which is your normal western union. The seller accepts payments from bidpay.com, which is owned by western union. The difference with bidpay is that you use your credit card and then they send that person a money order.

Also, I doubt the games are bootleg, if you do get them. You would need something like a mod chip in order to play bootleg games.

[quote name='thatstoobad']i would like to point out that since the intial post in this topic, the seller has recieved 6 positive feedbacks from four different people. the only negative is from someone whose rating is -1, and even then it is about communication, not about receiving items.

i say you pay this guy since you agreed to, and since there has been other buyers that recently received their items.

of course, i wouldn't have bid on them in the first place, but since you did, at lesat things look more optimistic.[/quote]

I would like to point out that when the seller is in Peru, the buyers are in the US (according to their eBay profiles), and the auctions ended on March 12th, positive feedback left on March 12th and 13th seems highly suspect. That leaves one positive feedback, left on March 15th, which is still iffy.

You know it makes me wonder how ANYTHING gets sold on Ebay. I mean if you start out you have NO feedback so no one can decide if you're an honest/new seller or a scammer. After a while of sitting around with all these things that people bid on and then suddenly change their mind on I'd figure everyone to just get fed up and say to hell with it.

[quote name='Alpha2']You know it makes me wonder how ANYTHING gets sold on Ebay. I mean if you start out you have NO feedback so no one can decide if you're an honest/new seller or a scammer. After a while of sitting around with all these things that people bid on and then suddenly change their mind on I'd figure everyone to just get fed up and say to hell with it.[/quote]

This is not merely a case of buyers remorse... A number of signs point to this being a potential scam, not just the sellers lack of feedback. Many sellers who are just getting started will agree to let a third party hold the money while the goods are in transit, btw.

Here is my suggestion to scdoanintendo (although it might be difficult to do this since you have already lied about sending payment): Tell the seller you are nervous about the transaction, but that you don't want to seem like a non-paying bidder. Tell him you will pay all eBay fees associated with the auctions you won. Tell him that if, after a couple of weeks, he starts getting what seems like legitimate positive feedback without getting more negative, you will pay the remainder of what you owe and he will agree to send the games upon receipt of payment. I believe that any reasonable seller in this situation would accept these terms. If he does not accept, that is one more indication that this is probably a scam. If he does accept, you are out only a few dollars if it turns out to be a scam, and if it doesn't, you get your games.

And this is my thousandth post. :D

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!

Its a bloody scam!

1: Cash only. Its against eBay policy, and is untraceable and impossible to verify.

2: "USA RELEASE" Just no. There is no such thing as a USA or ASIA release. Its a liability thing, if they say its an official NTSC release of the game they are implying that it was made by the company. If they say its a USA or ASIA release they are implying that its not an official release. (Though the stock info says NTSC :) You can report him for fraud)

3: Uses stock photo. This suggest that they don't actually have a copy of the game, whether real or pirated.

4: Feedback. Self explanatory.

5: Last but not least, he says that he has overstock. NTSC games are only sold to retailers in the United States, Canada, and Mexico. Peru, where the seller is located, is below the equator. And with a hideous economy...

Actually, there is such a thing as a USA release. The Australian and European releases of PAL game are not always done together.

[quote name='Alpha2']You know it makes me wonder how ANYTHING gets sold on Ebay. I mean if you start out you have NO feedback so no one can decide if you're an honest/new seller or a scammer. After a while of sitting around with all these things that people bid on and then suddenly change their mind on I'd figure everyone to just get fed up and say to hell with it.[/quote]

i sell stuff on ebay sometimes and i do not accept any bids from new bidders unless they e-mail me first. i usually ask them a few questions like how are they paying? etc... if i feel they're trustworthy, then i let the bid go through. i have 180 positives and no negatives and everything has worked out perfect for me except one time where i didn't get a cd.

never sell to anyone outside of the US or canada. Always keep your shipping receipt if you send items media mail or first class; if you must send outside the country ALWAYS send item with INSURANCE (always!!!). And first and foremost NEVER EVER EVER expect a buyer with under 10 feedback to pay without pressure through the non paying bidder system...they always stall, don't respond, etc.

NEVER EVER EVER send an item to RUSSIA, ITALY, SPAIN, BRAZIL, PERU, CHILE, etc...people from these countries (at least on ebay) are not trustworthy, you will always have a problem with them.

CANADA, AUSTRALIA, JAPAN, and ENGLAND are pretty safe bets for foreign buyers/sellers as they are often more honest (especially with Canadians) than most people I encounter in the US.

[quote name='Quackzilla']3: Uses stock photo. This suggest that they don't actually have a copy of the game, whether real or pirated.[/quote]

If I had to guess I'd say the auction is probably a scam, but using stock photos doesn't necessarily indicate fraud. I've sold many console games on eBay and even though I have a digital camera I still use the stock photos because it's easier and I'm lazy. But with the auction in question, everything else combined with the stock photos leads me to believe the seller is just conning people.

bread's done
Back