searching at CAG and questions of it's use

defender

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
I am talking with CheapyD about the search feature here at CAG. I would like to hear from users on how often you search, what you normally search for, and do you feel having a search is even important.

Please post answers to my questions and how you feel.

I search for a topic/deal before I post. I think it's important to have some way of determining if a topic has already been discussed, or a deal posted so unnecessary posts are created. Plus it probably saves the mods some sanity.

Yeah, I search for the deal. I'd also like to see a script to search individual posts by username, sort of like some vB 3.0 scripts.

I would like to be able to search for thread topics so when somone posts a deal or topic that was already made it will be easier to redirect traffic to it.

I use the search function quite frequently. I just wish it could be a bit more accurate sometimes. It would help if there was a way to just search the subject lines of topics instead of the entire topics themselves sometimes. I feel the search function is necessary, but a lot of people are too lazy to use it.

You can search by username on the search screen.

Defender is asking this question because we are thinking of not having the search index the oldest 300,000 or so post.

I have mixed feelings as I use the search to dig up old threads from time to time, and they would be impossible to find without it.

I use the search quite a bit, usually when I think I've seen something before. The only other option I'd like to see is "Search topic title only" We already have "Search topic title and message text" and "Search message text only" but sometimes I know the keywords of the topic title I'm looking for, but I get a lot of useless results back too cos it hits message text as well.

I know it's been said, but an option to search topics ONLY would make it infinitely more useful. Being required to search post text brings up a lot of junk that isn't related to your results, even if you use "include ALL words in results."

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']Hahaha...damn Gothic, get out of my head![/quote]

No. It's much more comfortable than mine is.

[quote name='CheapyD']I'd also like to add that I am posting this from my SideKick II and I am a big dork.[/quote]

What's wrong with that? I think most CAGs qualify as dorks. And that's not a bad thing... :wink:

I use the search, mainly to make sure I don't post things that have already been posted... CAG would be a much better place if more people would do that

I use it to search for past posts. Like when you said you were liquidationg your store, I searched for camera stolen user defender to get the pics of your store that you posted.

I'd like to think that one day the search feature will be so powerful that people will we able to track and chart my unfunnyness from day one to the present.

I search a lot and lately I find it hard to near impossible to find threads from the past

bread's done
Back