Blockbuster Total Access Raising Prices

GrilledWitOnions

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Didn't see this posted, searched all over: looks like the rumoured price hike (for a second time) is true. I believe the new CEO doesn't like the online service, and somehow expects that this will drive people away and into the store, when in reality, it will drive them into Netflix's arms. :roll: I know the unlimited in-store 3 at a time is now $35; not sure on other prices. It's going into effect Dec 27th I believe. Another thread at DVDtalk has been posted already.

I received the same email as well for the price hike on the from the Total Access 3 at a time unlimited exchange plan to just 5 in-store exchanges at 17.99 a month. I wonder if the price hike is just for the one plan or it will affect all plans eventually?

The in-store exchanges are OK but I've become so accustomed to Netflix that trying to find a new release in stock the first week in Blockbuster is just a pain.

First they took away my game rental and coupon for a free game/movie once a month and now they raise the prices. Good going Blockbuster. You really do want to go out of business don't you. Be my guest.

Edit: Looks like they are raising the prices on all plans. Happy New Year. I will be cancelling before my next month. For $35 a month the CEO should deliver them to my door!

I got the email as well. I was paying $9.99 a month for one movie at a time and 2 in-store returns per month. The kicked it up to $11.99. I will probably be switching over to Netflix myself. Blockbuster really has a pair to nerf everyone's plans and then a few short months later raise the price.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']I got the email as well. I was paying $9.99 a month for one movie at a time and 2 in-store returns per month. The kicked it up to $11.99. I will probably be switching over to Netflix myself. Blockbuster really has a pair to nerf everyone's plans and then a few short months later raise the price.[/QUOTE]

$32 per month? WTF?

I was paying $14.99 for 2 movies out at a time with unlimited returns at the store.

Now it's being raised to $16.99 I believe. Not terrible if you ask me. If you rent 4 movies from the store, the plan pays for itself. Of course, that's really 8 movies, because you had to exchange 4 to get those 4 for free.

That sucks that the rumor is true. Hopefully my 2.5 month free trial method will still be working. For anyone interested, heres what you need to do:

Get a prepaid debit card, or use Paypal's Virtual Debit card (if thats still around). Spend everything on it til you have less than the amount, but more than $1. Use code 90430 for a free month 3 out at a time w/ unlimited instore rentals. BBO will continue to try to charge your card for 6 weeks past the 1st month (while still shipping out movies) before they cancel your account. Basically, you get 2.5 months for free. Ive done this about 5 times and have never had any problems, just make sure to change the address/name info on your account before it gets canceled; that way you can use your same name/address again. If you happen to miss the cancelation, you can still use tricks like "St" instead of Street, using a fake/shortened name, etc.

The only downfall is that you have to add everything back to your queue each time you make an account, but considering you'll be saving $35 a month, seems worth it to me.

I was about to bite the bullet on the already increased $25/month for 3 w/ unlimited and now it's raised 10 freaking dollars? In the words of circa early 90's era Bart: no way man!

the 35 buck plan was talked about years ago, sadly back then it was to included unlimited game rentals as well

really no place to rent movies anymore

Blockbuster 35 bucks per month

netflix will screw you up your $#$# and trottle the hell out of you

local video stores want 3 bucks per rental

another local video store has 50% off all rentals for a month for 10 bucks

Blockbuster has that game right now where you can win BUY 1 GET 1 free

4 movies a week would be 2 rentals per week (6 bucks x 4 24 bucks + 10 34 bucks per week

for 16 movies OUCH

could always go to red box but i dont trust them

guess netflix is the only way to go

[quote name='Bezerker']
Get a prepaid debit card, or use Paypal's Virtual Debit card (if thats still around). Spend everything on it til you have less than the amount, but more than $1. Use code 90430 for a free month 3 out at a time w/ unlimited instore rentals. BBO will continue to try to charge your card for 6 weeks past the 1st month (while still shipping out movies) before they cancel your account. Basically, you get 2.5 months for free. Ive done this about 5 times and have never had any problems, just make sure to change the address/name info on your account before it gets canceled; that way you can use your same name/address again. If you happen to miss the cancelation, you can still use tricks like "St" instead of Street, using a fake/shortened name, etc.
[/QUOTE]

this sounds like fraud/illegal

i guess after my free month is up i am definately going to cancel...reason i had the free month was because i tried to cancel last month so they offered it to me

I was paying $9.99 a month for one at a time rental with unlimited in store exchanges and they raised it up to $11.99. I still think Netflix does a lot better job with having Blu-Ray and HD-DVD movies available to rent when new releases come out, but the in store exchanges make BlockBuster a better deal for me despite the $2.00 increase.

[quote name='doubledown']I wonder if Netflix will raise prices....they basically follow Blockbuster pricing to an extent.[/quote]

By following blockbusters prices you mean establishing their prices and then blockbuster came along and copied them?

Netflix hasn't imitated anything blockbuster has done while blockbuster has attempted to copy every aspect of netflix...

[quote name='Brian9824']By following blockbusters prices you mean establishing their prices and then blockbuster came along and copied them?

Netflix hasn't imitated anything blockbuster has done while blockbuster has attempted to copy every aspect of netflix...[/QUOTE]

No Netflix LOWERED prices when Blockbuster offered JUST the online rental service (no in-store trade). BB lowered it $1, so Netflix followed.

I am a Netflix subscriber and I can confirm that I now have unlimited online viewing, at least for now. I'm not sure how long this test is for. And who got burned by Netflix? I've never had a problem with them in 6+ years now.

I had the $24.99 3 out at a time with unlimited in-store exchanges. Mine is going to $34.99. I guess I will go to Netflix for the first time. I was doing the blockbuster online since it's inception. Now they lose me.

I don't understand how you guys pissed off blockbuster :D

Hi Michael,[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

We know that during this busy time of year the convenience of BLOCKBUSTER Total Access is especially important to you. Have your movies delivered right to your door. If you want new movies right away, exchange in-store*. And with free shipping both ways and no late fees, it's easy to enjoy all the movies you want for as long as you want.

To continue to bring you the unmatched convenience of both online and in-store DVD rentals, your monthly subscription fee will change slightly from $17.99 to $19.99. This adjustment[SIZE=-1]
will go into effect on your next billing cycle on or after December 27, 2007. The benefits of your subscription plan will remain the same...and it's a value of $34.99!

Thanks for continuing to be a BLOCKBUSTER Total Access subscriber. It truly is the best entertainment value out there.

BLOCKBUSTER[/FONT]
[/SIZE]

Thats the unlimited trade in's at the B&M store too. First time my plans been changed and I've had it for a year. I'll check the reciept tonight, I know I'm at 20+ in store exchanges this month though.[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

[/FONT]

Thats because they haven't updated yours for the first price hike which is what that e-mail is about. Expect to see another email soon when new prices go into effect/

3 dvds at a time w/ unlimited exchanges will be $35 a month and they removed the game coupon you normally got for free. They arent going to change everyone all at once because alot of people will be leaving so its going to be a gradual change.

We hate them because they keep jacking up the prices and removing benefits of our accounts like game rentals, unlimited exchanges, etc

There is no list because their pricing is totally f'd up because they are still changing people's pricing from LAST price increase

[quote name='doubledown']I wonder if Netflix will raise prices....they basically follow Blockbuster pricing to an extent.[/quote] Netflix dropped their prices like 3 months ago

Wow, 19.99 -> 24.99 - > 34.99 in 3 months. Stellar! I'm glad I dumped them at the last increase.

Now I just go to Family Video. $2.xx to rent a new movie, plus a free older movie Tues-Wed-Thurs. No more being obligated to get crappy movies just to have something in the queue. Costs me alot less a month too.

To the people getting the 34.99 email ... does it say what the value of it is like mine on the first page. Such as mine says it's being raised to 19.99 but is the 34.99 value.

Oh I also still get the free game / movie rental coupon every month.

Dumped them after the first price hike. With the writer's strike you would think they would be smart and try to expand the user base. Hell they are already talking about how online and store rentals could get a big boost from the strike. IE: Not shit on tv starting in the new year...

They're upping me from $10 to $12 also. I can't believe they strip away benefits like ecoupons and limit store exchanges and then top it off by raising membership fees on their existing customers. fuckers. This might be the last straw.

my fiancee has the $17.99/mo plan with unlimited in-store exchanges and we got that email yesterday saying that the price is going up $2. Her membership is in the air though as of this moment, as she wants to continue it and I want her to stop the service and go with Netflix.

[quote name='mikeohara']my fiancee has the $17.99/mo plan with unlimited in-store exchanges and we got that email yesterday saying that the price is going up $2. Her membership is in the air though as of this moment, as she wants to continue it and I want her to stop the service and go with Netflix.[/quote]

I had the same thing, then a few months ago they jacked mine up to 24.99 and that's the one going up to 34.99. That's another thing that irks is the inconsistency among their customers. Some were unaffected at the last increase, while others are getting hit twice in 3 months.

I still get two coupons a month to use for games in store. I hope they aren't planning on taking this away, otherwise I will switch to Netflix for sure.

I did get the email about the price increase to 19.99 but no notice on the game coupons.

[quote name='sp00ge']Wow, 19.99 -> 24.99 - > 34.99 in 3 months. Stellar! I'm glad I dumped them at the last increase.

Now I just go to Family Video. $2.xx to rent a new movie, plus a free older movie Tues-Wed-Thurs. No more being obligated to get crappy movies just to have something in the queue. Costs me alot less a month too.[/QUOTE]

you should check out the blockbuster game that you can win Buy 1 get 1.

most hollywoods take other stores coupons so get 2 new releases for 2.xx

did it last night got

halloween and futurama for 2.96

NOW IF YOU RENT ALOT BUY The 50% off a month thing for 10 bucks

2 movies for 1.50 you would have to rent at least 7 times per month to be worth it though

with all the new people going to netflix it will even be worse getting movies at netflix.

also
BY MAIL ONLY PLANS

Online Only--1 at a time for $8.99. Unlimited online rentals. You will receive unlimited online DVDs, up to 1 at one time.

Online Only--2 at a time for $13.99. Unlimited online rentals. You will receive unlimited online DVDs, up to 2 at one time.

Online Only--3 at a time for $16.99. Unlimited online rentals. You will receive unlimited online DVDs, up to 3 at one time.

BY MAIL ONLY - MAX ONLINE PER MONTH PLANS

Online Only--1 at a time for $3.99. 2 rentals per month. You will receive up to 2 online DVDs, 1 at one time.

SO IT SEEMS INSTORE Is the only thing going UP. 3 at a time MAIL ONLY will stay at 17 bucks.

the 1 at a time 2 rentals per month 3.99 I DOUBT THAT IS REAL PRICE. Hell i like to take advance of that HEH HEH *

----------------------------
* we got local places that take other stores coupons. SO say i could email blockbuster saying my movie didnt work and get a FREE E COUPON. I could make 15 copies of this coupon and hit up different stores around my area for the month.

8 movies each month using this coupon and 2 from blockbuster + the 1 free from coupon

11 movies for 4 bucks per month would be very sweet

BB's price increase is going to turn away a ton of people, but I guess thats what they are trying to do. It seems weird though as BB was pushing every customer really hard to sign up for its online in store. I asume online was doing really well but the stores were drowning. The hard part is that even at 19.99 its still a better deal than Netflix..damn it!

if those price plans are right people need to know

ONLY THE INSTORE prices are going up.

BY mail is staying the same at 17.99

I doubt many people will be leaving blockbuster if the BY MAIL Is the same price as netflix.

its just the INSTORE plans going up???

[quote name='slidecage']you should check out the blockbuster game that you can win Buy 1 get 1.

most hollywoods take other stores coupons so get 2 new releases for 2.xx

did it last night got

halloween and futurama for 2.96

NOW IF YOU RENT ALOT BUY The 50% off a month thing for 10 bucks

2 movies for 1.50 you would have to rent at least 7 times per month to be worth it though

with all the new people going to netflix it will even be worse getting movies at netflix.

also
BY MAIL ONLY PLANS

Online Only--1 at a time for $8.99. Unlimited online rentals. You will receive unlimited online DVDs, up to 1 at one time.

Online Only--2 at a time for $13.99. Unlimited online rentals. You will receive unlimited online DVDs, up to 2 at one time.

Online Only--3 at a time for $16.99. Unlimited online rentals. You will receive unlimited online DVDs, up to 3 at one time.

BY MAIL ONLY - MAX ONLINE PER MONTH PLANS

Online Only--1 at a time for $3.99. 2 rentals per month. You will receive up to 2 online DVDs, 1 at one time.
[/quote]
Thanks for the info; we have it at work but I have no time to look it over closely.

Also, (and I'm a bit embarrassed to admit this), but I'm surprised at the maturity this forum has exhibited over this price hike. I expected everyone here to basically scream that Blockbuster is always terrible, they are the devil, they never do anything right. While I know I feel that way a LOT of the time, I've been able to see things from their perspective more and more this year. Not on this issue though. This price hike is madness and it's only going to make things harder for store employees.

Something that's been touched on here is the online-only plans, or "blockbuster By Mail" (Not total access). While I know these plans don't offer any in-store rentals for free, and I'm fairly certain you can't even get a discount in-store with a by-mail envelope, there is some good news to this debacle: the price for 3-at-a-time by mail is decreasing $1. So, compared to NF, we have 2 identical plans with minor changes: NF with (possibly) unlimited online viewing, and Blockbuster being a dollar cheaper and allowing drop-off in-store, meaning quicker turn-around time. I rarely ever had more than a 2 day wait with BB, but then again, I haven't given NF more than a two week trial about 2 years ago.

It comes down to this: what Blockbuster is doing is shifting online renters away, forcing their hand to choose to be online only or drop off entirely. In light of what was, this is terrible: $34 compared to $18 just a few months ago is atrocious. But compared to NF straight online 3 at a time?

I'd take a $1 cheaper and quicker turn-around any day.

And again, thanks for the civility. It was refreshing. I love being a CAG.

personally i think they jacked up their rates cause people were abusing the NO LATE FEES

Pesonally the local bb around here was getting very low turnarounds

Harry potter movie 100 copies in. all 100 went out tuesday... Only 21 copies were returned by friday.

Meaning 79 people who rented this movie TUESDAY still had this movie out on friday.

that is alot of lost money right there.

i think that is why your seeing the massive price increases

if the BY MAIL PART stays the same i might go back from netflix to blockbuster since i can really abuse the coupons LOL

i was with both for years

Blockbuster mail Turn around was 2 to 4 days to get a movie to me once i returned a movie

netflix 1 day turn around each way

so if i just did Mail. blockbuster would be 4 to 8 day turn around (i could go to the store to drop them off but that is an extra 3 bucks gas money) even dropping at store im looking at 3 to 4 day turn around

netflix 2 day max turn around. Movies go out Monday. i have them tuesday. return weds. i have movies friday REPEAT

Something blockbuster was never able to do

[quote name='slidecage']personally i think they jacked up their rates cause people were abusing the NO LATE FEES
Pesonally the local bb around here was getting very low turnarounds
Harry potter movie 100 copies in. all 100 went out tuesday... Only 21 copies were returned by friday.
Meaning 79 people who rented this movie TUESDAY still had this movie out on friday.
that is alot of lost money right there.
i think that is why your seeing the massive price increases
if the BY MAIL PART stays the same i might go back from netflix to blockbuster since i can really abuse the coupons LOL
i was with both for years
Blockbuster mail Turn around was 2 to 4 days to get a movie to me once i returned a movie
netflix 1 day turn around each way
so if i just did Mail. blockbuster would be 4 to 8 day turn around (i could go to the store to drop them off but that is an extra 3 bucks gas money) even dropping at store im looking at 3 to 4 day turn around
netflix 2 day max turn around. Movies go out Monday. i have them tuesday. return weds. i have movies friday REPEAT

Something blockbuster was never able to do[/quote]
I have had very different experiences; I would drop the movies off when doing other things (sometimes), so the gas cost was negligible (and believe it or not, my town is so small I can drive across it in about 3 minutes, 6 minutes on a bad day). My movies would normally ship next day, arrive the day after (two days), and sometimes be 3 days but rarely. I would normally return movies the day I got them, so I averaged about 6-9 movies a week with 3 at a time.
edit: actually, looking back, it seemed like they had been splitting them up into shipments of 2 then 1. It wasn't a big deal but sort of annoying. I probably missed out on 1 or 2 shipped movies but with the split movies arrived nearly every day so it didn't seem as bad as waiting 3 days for all 3 (which I think was the idea).

Damn it, I kinda like BB online. The shipping was quick for me, I get new movies every 2-3 days. Damn I don't want to go back to netflix with their throttle bullshit.

I was in the market for another online rental service (I went 3 months w/ no games/movies from gameznflix) After reading about the BB rate hike, I signed up for netflix...

[quote name='blueboy']I still get two coupons a month to use for games in store. I hope they aren't planning on taking this away, otherwise I will switch to Netflix for sure.

I did get the email about the price increase to 19.99 but no notice on the game coupons.[/QUOTE]

You'll lose them eventually. I've been a member for around 3 years and my two free game rentals a month were taken away a few months ago. Within the last 6 months they have also raised my monthly rate twice, while taking stuff away, such as the game rentals and unlimited instore exchanges.

[quote name='Slayzz']Damn it, I kinda like BB online. The shipping was quick for me, I get new movies every 2-3 days. Damn I don't want to go back to netflix with their throttle bullshit.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I really wanted to support Netflix but their throttling was horrible. Switched to BB and have never had a problem with getting movies.

[quote name='Slayzz']Damn it, I kinda like BB online. The shipping was quick for me, I get new movies every 2-3 days. Damn I don't want to go back to netflix with their throttle bullshit.[/quote]Then stick with "blockbuster by mail" and don't do "total access": it will be a dollar cheaper and you can still drop the envelopes off at a store to get quick shipping.

man....everyone talks about how netflix "throttles" stuff....shit!

BLOCKBUSTER DOES IT TO ME!

i'll get free trials to both whenever i go to a new location. for example - new apartment near USM. Netflix would get my movies in 2 business days, and send emails asking if i got it.

Blockbuster would get it to me....5 days later....

So its like yea, I like bein able go to the store and get different movies and such...but man...i also like for my shipments to get there soon!

To me, Netflix > Blockbuster all day every day because I actually get my movies on time

Blockbuster was great at first, and then they started throttling, and then they raised prices and then I told them "see ya!"

The thing is that their shipping service has set rules. If you have any titles that are Available Now that are more than 2 days shipping distance, they will not ship before "Available Now" titles that are lower priority on your queue. However if said lower priority files are after #30 on your queue, they will not ship anything at all.

Quite a stupid system, but according to them, theres no way around it. I've been keeping all my available now's within the first 30 and ive experienced 2 day max for me to receive dvds and it only takes them 12-24 hours to ship out my next ones after i return in store (depending on time/day that i return).

bread's done
Back