- - - - -

Official "Donate Games to the Troops in Iraq" Thread

#31 Dream to Dream   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   82 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Dream to Dream

Posted 26 December 2007 - 02:42 PM

OP;

Which do you see more of around base... consoles or handhelds?

#32 neushane   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   171 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

neushane

Posted 26 December 2007 - 03:49 PM

To answer a few of your questions we have mainly the Xbox360 and PS2s. The MWR dept (Morale, Welfare and Recreation) has a bunch of PS2s that they check out to everyone but there is a very limited amount of games available for checkout. The store gets in the Xbox360 on a regular interval and sometimes they get in the Wii.

I mostly see the consoles mentioned above over the handhelds. The only handhelds I see is the PSP. Our shared drive has the Custom Firmwares on it and some other stuff :-#

Thank you for those who have emailed me and replied to this thread. Your thoughts and support are much appreciated.

#33 HotShotX   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3532 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Posted 26 December 2007 - 04:08 PM

If other CAGs are up for this, we should use this thread (renamed appropriately as a "Overseas Military CAG Donation Thread"), find out where these things should be sent to make sure the right people get them, and how to keep shipping costs down to a minimum (overseas is a bitch).

Neushane, if there's enough support for this, turn the OP into a list of systems and accessories currently availiable, and take a few requests from your comrades on what games/etc you'd like to see (to prevent the inevitable shipment of 500 copies of Madden Pre-08')

Of course, take photos/posts on anything you guys get in, once people see the system is working, I imagine more will chip in :) Any thoughts or suggestions on this?

~HotShotX

#34 DesertEagleXIX   Semper Economus! CAGiversary!   3247 Posts   Joined 15.7 Years Ago  

DesertEagleXIX

Posted 26 December 2007 - 08:02 PM

If other CAGs are up for this, we should use this thread

I'm down for sending a few games/organizing a thread.

#35 neushane   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   171 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

neushane

Posted 26 December 2007 - 08:53 PM

Well, I do believe it needs to be organized. I want this to be a controlled situation because I know items can be pilerable. I dont want stuff like that to happen.

As far as shipping goes, that is easy. We have a physical address and an FPO address that comes straight to my building. This is good because anyone that ships to an FPO address is only paying for shipping to say San Fransico or New York. The overseas fees are already covered so you DO NOT pay overseas fees. Also, the post office has flat rate boxes that can weigh whatever and only cost around $8.00-9.00 max. Like I stated earlier my wife has done it for me in the past. Most packages DVD or game size cost around $1.75-2.25 to ship to an FPO address.

I am out here until March something. I was kind of hesitant to come out with this idea. My unit reports to the same area of Iraq each time and I work for a level that knows each unit that reports here. When I return stateside I would be willing to keep this going and have all items first routed to my office in CA and then out to here for distribution.

Pictures would be a must or else where is the satisfaction for all those that contribute ;-)

If you like I will rename the thread. I just would like to know CAG is okay with that. If any moderators are reading this thread or if someone can tell me who to contact, I would like permission to make this okay. Thank you to everyone. I think we can make this work. If it becomes official, I will post the FPO address for my unit.

Shane

#36 HotShotX   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3532 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Posted 26 December 2007 - 11:38 PM

I just PMed CheapyD about it, I'll let you all know what he says/suggests.

~HotShotX

#37 dallow   By Kaz! CAGiversary!   30359 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Posted 27 December 2007 - 12:00 AM

I was reading this thread and saw the post about sending games over.
Glad you guys are talking to CheapyD about it, I'd love to buy some games and send over to Iraq.

#38 DT778   number 1 on the westside CAGiversary!   10548 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 27 December 2007 - 12:58 AM

I'll send something. I'll email you when I get back to my apartment in a few days.

#39 ttriber   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   61 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

Posted 27 December 2007 - 03:15 AM

I've got a few sports games and ps2 games I'll send over their without hesitation. Only issue I have is if the right people are getting them cause I sent 2 Christmas Cards to the Red Cross which then got sent to some vets in the VA but haven't got a response yet. I'll keep sending stuff but If just one person gives me a response I'd feel more hesitant on sending them without a problem.

#40 Panda   It's Ms Panda to you. CAGiversary!   309 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 27 December 2007 - 03:27 AM

I got a good tip from the post office when sending heavy or a lot of stuff:

Send stuff to Iraq (APO/FPO address) using the the flat rate box. It's a godsend. If it fits into the box (no matter how heavy), it'll ships for $8.95 Priority. You have to fill out the custom forms though...which is no biggie.

#41 HotShotX   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3532 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Posted 27 December 2007 - 04:38 AM

I've got a few sports games and ps2 games I'll send over their without hesitation. Only issue I have is if the right people are getting them cause I sent 2 Christmas Cards to the Red Cross which then got sent to some vets in the VA but haven't got a response yet. I'll keep sending stuff but If just one person gives me a response I'd feel more hesitant on sending them without a problem.

I imagine Neushane and his group can take a few photos of the guys with the packages and a "Thanks CAG" sign to show that these are going to the right people.

A little credibility goes a long way with charity.

~HotShotX

#42 neushane   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   171 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

neushane

Posted 27 December 2007 - 03:46 PM

ttriber, I am sorry you have not received a response but try not to feel frustrated about it. Places like the Red Cross are extremely busy. You never know if everything they receive gets delivered as expected. We have received care packages out here that are dated 2005 on them. An organization receiving a lot of material takes a lot longer to get items processed. On the other hand, maybe someone did receive your card but just did not write back. Is it wrong, I think so. But not everyone thinks the same as I do. If someone takes the time to send a letter, postcard or package then I think they deserve the right to a response.

I was surprised the other day when a guy that works for me handed me a letter to mail out. I asked him who it was for and he told me a little girl that made him a card and send out some snowman hot cocoa package. Someone else might have received the same package but did not write a thing back. I told him i was impressed and smirked at him. Then he made some wise ass comment about the marshmellows being stale. That shit was classic !!

To say the least, I will be sure that everything gets to the hands of people that can use it and not let it be abused. I will also take a lot of pictures. I have my digital camera here. Can I say that everyone will get a response? No, I can't, but I will recommend to everyone that they come here and give a thank you and check out the forums at the same time :-)

#43 neushane   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   171 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

neushane

Posted 27 December 2007 - 03:49 PM

Oh, and if anyone wants proof about me and to show i am in Iraq I will do so. Just do not ask me to hold up a roll of toilet paper and a kitchen spoon...LOL

(if you have seen the OT thread on the chick scamming everyone with Xbox Live year subscriptions you know what I am talking about)

#44 ttriber   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   61 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

Posted 27 December 2007 - 07:52 PM

Thanks for answering that neushane. I appreciate your honesty and dedication for serving . I will probably send the games together. What type of games do you guys want though? Sports?Shooting?RPG?Wrestling?

May God Bless you and the rest of the soldiers.

#45 doraemonkerpal   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4753 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

doraemonkerpal

Posted 27 December 2007 - 08:13 PM

Oh, and if anyone wants proof about me and to show i am in Iraq I will do so. Just do not ask me to hold up a roll of toilet paper and a kitchen spoon...LOL

:rofl:Nice!

As soon as we hear a response from CheapyD, I'll be ready to send a few games to our troops. :)

#46 ninjalunchbox79   WTF?!?!?!? CAGiversary!   741 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

ninjalunchbox79

Posted 27 December 2007 - 08:44 PM

How you doing Neushane , im over here in iraq also!!!! So your in the navy , i work with some navy EOD every once in a while , so yep i do route clearance out here and look for IED's!!!! Not very fun but hey i get to ride in the "bonecrusher" the vehicle they used in the transformers movie , yea its called the buffalo and i must say its a trip to drive!!! I mostly operate the arm , so yep in the army 21B combat engineer here . . . HOOAH!!! So you leave in march , damn i dont leave till feb. 2009 , yep 15 month tour , ill miss 2 christmas's out here , i never thought that would happen!!!! But anyways , yea Neushane thats a great idea , i hav my digital camera also , so i can prove im out here in iraq , and yes my real nickname is Lunchbox , i even hav the name tape on my vest!!!!! Truth behold , the games they have out here are overpriced , im just glad i learned last time to bring my hand-helds , i brought my DS , PSP , and GBAmicro!!!! Yea the micro is for when im out on a mission waitin for EOD to blow and IED , sometimes it can take several hours and sitting there twiddlin your thumbs , very , very boring LOL!!! At least some things have changed since 2005 the last time i was out here!!!! So where you at over here Neushane , im here at COB Speicher , its not pretty here but hey , i hav my own lil space . . . YAY!!! To all you CAG'ers hope you all had a merry christmas and a good new years , hell drink a beer for me , good ol' Lunchbox LOL!!!!

anyone want my email its ninjalunchbox79@yahoo.com you can also IM me there to , i try to be on there at least once a day to talk to my fiance , and hey any hardcore GEARS players out there can add me on live also , i wont b able to play till june tho , catch u guys later!!!!

#47 camoor   Jams on foot fires CAGiversary!   15226 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 28 December 2007 - 03:58 PM

Happy holidays guys.

#48 neushane   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   171 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

neushane

Posted 28 December 2007 - 05:48 PM

lunchbox - thanks for the reply and the PM. I replied to your PM but after reading your post I answered a few of my questions...lol. Glad to see I am not along when it comes to being out here and thanks for backing up my statements. We gamers, we CAGS, get fucked out here!!!

ttriber - brother, we will take anything you guys are willing to throw our way. I am sure troops out here will appreciate anything that is new to them. Well, maybe not Avatar (j/k). Whatever you can send, I will make sure it gets enjoyed.

If any fellow CAGS out here want to jump in and state what you enjoy it will help. Also, if you either PM or email my iraqi email address posted in this thread with your FPO address, I will be sure you get 1st dibs on my next batch of games (from my wife) or anything I receive from a fellow CAG.

neushane

#49 ninjalunchbox79   WTF?!?!?!? CAGiversary!   741 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

ninjalunchbox79

Posted 31 December 2007 - 04:28 PM

Well christmas is behind us , now up is New Years!!!! Heres hopin everyone has a blast at some new years party , ill be on a mission . . . as usual!!!!! Drink a beer for good ol' Lunchbox:D :applause:

#50 shady859   Big Blue Nation CAGiversary!   7283 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 31 December 2007 - 05:30 PM

Haha you the man Lunchbox i'll have a few in your honor later tonight! :beer:

Stay safe Neushane, Lunchbox and everyone else over there!:pray:

#51 neushane   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   171 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

neushane

Posted 01 January 2008 - 03:11 PM

Yeah, still workng here too. Man, this was the 1st New Years Eve on like 10 years where I dodnt get messed up. Feels like just another day. Fortunately I went to the PX today and guess what was on the shelf...GHIII. Man, I feel relieved to have something new to play.!

#52 CheapyD   Head Cheap Ass Administrators   17716 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

Posted 01 January 2008 - 04:04 PM

If you like I will rename the thread. I just would like to know CAG is okay with that. If any moderators are reading this thread or if someone can tell me who to contact, I would like permission to make this okay. Thank you to everyone. I think we can make this work. If it becomes official, I will post the FPO address for my unit.

Shane

Absolutely! I'd love to send some stuff over too!

#53 HotShotX   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3532 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Posted 01 January 2008 - 05:50 PM

Absolutely! I'd love to send some stuff over too!

There you go. I'll take that as our green-light for the "Overseas Military CAG Donation Thread".

Neushane, can you rename the thread and the OP to reflect what systems/accesories you guys have availiable, take some requests, and an address to which sending everything would be appropriate?

Update the OP with lists and pictures of anything that comes in. I'll go through my libary and send out a few things once I get home on the 4th.

~HotShotX

#54 SteveMcQ   I love Panda! CAGiversary!   7943 Posts   Joined 15.7 Years Ago  

Posted 01 January 2008 - 05:52 PM

Do we need to coordinate who sends what or are multiple copies of things ok?

#55 HotShotX   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3532 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Posted 01 January 2008 - 07:51 PM

Do we need to coordinate who sends what or are multiple copies of things ok?

Neushane and his group would probably have final word on that, but I imagine a copy per console would be appropriate. If things get too out of hand, then the troops might be flinging copies of Madden at the enemy. :)

The best thing to do would be for Neu to turn the OP into a list of what they currently have, so donaters can have an easier time deciding what to send.

~HotShotX

#56 neushane   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   171 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

neushane

Posted 02 January 2008 - 03:54 PM

WOW! Great news CheapyD! Thank you for your support. I will change the OP and rename the thread as you guys mentioned. I will also post all the information needed.

#57 HotShotX   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3532 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Posted 04 January 2008 - 02:15 PM

Neushane, do you have a list of what games are already out there? Also, I'd rename the thread to something that blatantly states that this is a video game donation drive, as the title is currently a little ambiguous.

I'm getting home tonight, so I'll get a few of my games together and send them your way.

~HotShotX

#58 neushane   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   171 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

neushane

Posted 04 January 2008 - 03:20 PM

HotShotX, didnt realize the confusion there until I reread it. I changed the title. I have a list of the games that my guys have. I really did not see the point in a list because if you knew the number of people out on this base a list would not matter. Not only that but for me to try to get a list from everyone here, it would take me to the end of my deployment :-) This base is the largest in the area for material movements.

I can tell you my guys have Madden and NCAA 08 for the PS2. They also have Condemned, Tiger Woods 07, PGR3, Oblivion, GHII, GHIII, Beowulf, Call Of Duty 2, Gears of War, and The Simpsons for the Xbox 360.

On the PSP, they have Metal Gear Ac!d, Lumines, Lumines 2, Final Fantasy, Marvel Alliance, and Madden 07.

#59 ninjalunchbox79   WTF?!?!?!? CAGiversary!   741 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

ninjalunchbox79

Posted 06 January 2008 - 05:38 PM

props go out to neushane for tryin to help all our guys over here in iraq!!:applause: ive already contacted neushane , im over here in speicher , but i just got word that im movin to another fob , anyways heres my email ninjalunchbox79@yahoo.com later guys!!! oo and hey neushane , im all for RPG's , and shooters , and some of the guys are in for sports games!!!

#60 csidegamer   Up the Irons! CAGiversary!   1917 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 06 January 2008 - 10:36 PM

This is such a good idea.

Glad we can do something small for our guys/gals that are serving away from home.